Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Something people are forgetting as well, very few people have to sell, so if there was a correction or even just a leveling off the seller of the 3 bed who was hoping to move to a 4 bed could decide the 3 bed is a bit tight but its fine thus reducing the amount of properties for sale.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

One of two things will cause a price drop of any real significance (I am not talking about when 500k houses start going for 490k instead before going back up again a few months later):

1. A large oversupply of property in the market.
    2. A large drop in credit, driving down the number of available buyers.

For #1 to happen, we'd need to start building a LOT of property. Realistically, we're many years away from this.

If #2 happens, house prices will come down, but they are coming down because banks aren't lending. The real winners in this scenario are cash buyers and investors, they'll be the ones picking up bargains. People who need mortgages end up getting whacked, because while the house they are looking at might drop from 500k to 400k, the bank will now only lend them 250k instead of the 350k they were promised before, so they still can't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Villa05 wrote: »
    Increasing supply where there is an imbalance is responding to market forces. Is that lefty?

The question was what impact would an increase in rental property have on sale markets.
    How does increasing supply of rental property impact on sale prices of houses?

As much as supply is constrained at the moment the actual number of sales from 2008 to 2012 were tiny.

If the market collapses ( !!!! ) there'll be very little bought again IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mkdon wrote: »
    a drop off is as likely as an increase at the end of day no-one knows

its not really, not a material one in any event.

personally i dont care one way or the other, i bought a house 2 years ago, in my desired location, of a size that will do me and my family forever and i can afford it. i wont every buy a second property unless im selling this one, its not an asset to me, its a place to live.

i just dont see any complelling argument for prices falling.

more likely we will see steady growth in line with wage inflation (as peoples borrowing capacity increases)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

ELM327 wrote:
    The question was what impact would an increase in rental property have on sale markets. How does increasing supply of rental property impact on sale prices of houses?

See paragraph 1 and 2 on post 3014

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

See paragraph 1 and 2 on post 3014
    The below? Based on what corelation? Remember now, this is a new rental property built as such with no impact on available property for sale.

There would be no impact on the property market. Rent prices may drop due to increased supply but it may just meet pent up demand and plateau the rental market instead of making rent prices drop.

Rent and property prices would return to affordable/sustainable levels

Balancing supply and demand would prevent the type of crash that happened in 08 to 12

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

ELM327 wrote: »
    Remember now, this is a new rental property built as such with no impact on available property for sale.

Imo, this assumption you are making is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ELM327 wrote: »
    The question was what impact would an increase in rental property have on sale markets.
    How does increasing supply of rental property impact on sale prices of houses?

if you build 500 apartments for rent in Dublin
    -> the cost of renting apartments comes down (which also means the cost of renting houses comes down)
    -> the cost of buying apartments comes down (because when the rent:mortgage ratio changes, some people decide to continue renting instead of buying, and buying to rent becomes less attractive)
    -> the cost of buying houses comes down (because with apartments cheaper, some people will buy apartments rather than houses)

obviously this all happens at the margin. Maybe 500 apartments doesn't make prices go down, just slows the rate of increase, and it would take 5000 new rental apartments to actually reduce prices. But it is pushing in the direction of lower prices for accommodation, including houses

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

RayCun wrote: »
    if you build 500 apartments for rent in Dublin
    -> the cost of renting apartments comes down (which also means the cost of renting houses comes down)
    -> the cost of buying apartments comes down (because when the rent:mortgage ratio changes, some people decide to continue renting instead of buying, and buying to rent becomes less attractive)
    -> the cost of buying houses comes down (because with apartments cheaper, some people will buy apartments rather than houses)

obviously this all happens at the margin. Maybe 500 apartments doesn't make prices go down, just slows the rate of increase, and it would take 5000 new rental apartments to actually reduce prices. But it is pushing in the direction of lower prices for accommodation, including houses
    You make the assumption that this all happens without any change on the demand side.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    You make the assumption that this all happens without any change on the demand side.

such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

RayCun wrote: »
    such as?

Population increase.

Population increase.

Maybe 500 apartments doesn't make prices go down, just slows the rate of increase, and it would take 5000 new rental apartments to actually reduce prices. But it is pushing in the direction of lower prices for accommodation, including houses

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

shoe is on other foot...seems you are the angry one that prices may be slowing...Ftbs aren't disparate I think many actually holding off for value in market

250k for clontarf 3 bed is unrealistic even if there was a correction but a drop off is as likely as an increase at the end of day no-one knows

No, I'm looking too. Trying to upgrade but like someone else said, difficult finding value in the market. It's pretty relative for me but I welcome the slow down, which is happening right now.

No one here is saying anything definitely is or isn't going to happen. Some posters are just using their intelligence to weigh up the odds of it happening or not, using data from previous crashes etc.

I was the one hoping for a housing crash in 2007, when it happened unfortunately I was made part time and the banks wouldn't entertain me, and when I did qualify in 2013 I was getting outbid by cash buyers, everytime!

So im not angry, im just trying to be a realist.

Sad to think how anyone could be angry of a slow down. It's good for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

matsy1 wrote: »
    shoe is on other foot...seems you are the angry one that prices may be slowing...Ftbs aren't disparate I think many actually holding off for value in market

250k for clontarf 3 bed is unrealistic even if there was a correction but a drop off is as likely as an increase at the end of day no-one knows

No, I'm looking too. Trying to upgrade but like someone else said, difficult finding value in the market. It's pretty relative for me but I welcome the slow down, which is happening right now.

No one here is saying anything definitely is or isn't going to happen. Some posters are just using their intelligence to weigh up the odds of it happening or not, using data from previous crashes etc.

I was the one hoping for a housing crash in 2007, when it happened unfortunately I was made part time and the banks wouldn't entertain me, and when I did qualify in 2013 I was getting outbid by cash buyers, everytime!

So im not angry, im just trying to be a realist.

Sad to think how anyone could be angry of a slow down. It's good for the country.
    Why is it good for the country? It's good for those looking to get a cheaper property... Not necessarily for those who own property...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Last time there was a slowdown the banks weren't lending and you couldn't buy, as was the case for tens of thousands of others.

This is good for the country?

:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Well- the number of people who discovered vast sums of money under their mattresses was remarkable!
    A lot of the black economy that was prevalent in Ireland- was formalised- and in comparison to the other economies who had to be bailed out- Ireland quite simply did not have the tax evasion that even today is prevalent in places like Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Some people need to make up their mind. If you want to force small landlords out of the market with oppressive legislation, and you don't want corporates building apartments to let, where is our rental supply supposed to come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Obviously this would depend on the area you are in but I wouldn't expect prices to drop back in any way in the Dublin area or indeed any of the major cities. Why would they? Demand is still high and supply is low.

Global recession is coming. Irish workers have had their wages inflated due to the success of multinationals,this is in for a big correction in the next 12 months having began a few months ago. This will lead to a sharp drop in the property market prices in my opinion. The ECB and Fed have little or no tools to tackle this recession. The stock market leads the cycle,there’s absolute chaos coming down the tracks imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

smurgen wrote: »
    Global recession is coming. Irish workers have had their wages inflated due to the success of multinationals,this is in for a big correction in the next 12 months having began a few months ago. This will lead to a sharp drop in the property market prices in my opinion. The ECB and Fed have little or no tools to tackle this recession. The stock market leads the cycle,there’s absolute chaos coming down the tracks imo.

That's some crystal ball you have there. Any chance of this Saturdays Lotto numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Moonjet wrote: »
    That's some crystal ball you have there. Any chance of this Saturdays Lotto numbers?

Youv been making your own predictions here. And in fairness global outlook ain't so good. Australia China Japan America Canada Italy Britain Europe in general. All significant risks.

Graham wrote: »
    Last time there was a slowdown the banks weren't lending and you couldn't buy, as was the case for tens of thousands of others.

This is good for the country?

:confused:

When I say slow down I don't mean the arse to fall out of the housing market. I mean slow down and only raise normally with inflation the way it's supposed to.

You sound seriously aggrieved. Anything else to add?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Why is it good for the country? It's good for those looking to get a cheaper property... Not necessarily for those who own property...

If someone owns one property that they live in like me, why would I want my house aswell as others to raise so much that others in the country couldn't afford houses and homelessness to soar etc?

Maybe if my masterplan was to hope for it to keep rising and then emigrate to Thailand with the profit.

Yes it would be good for the country if house prices slowed down.

dor843088 wrote: »

Youv been making your own predictions here. And in fairness global outlook ain't so good. Australia China Japan America Canada Italy Britain Europe in general. All significant risks.

Manufacturing slowdown well underway and a bear market starting. Major hedge funds selling of equities and these fellas are always ahead of the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

Manufacturing slowdown well underway and a bear market starting. Major hedge funds selling of equities and these fellas are always ahead of the curve.

interesting viewpoints ...don't see any of the so called experts predicting a downfall where are the Eddie Hobbs ilk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Major hedge funds selling of equities and these fellas are always ahead of the curve.

I don't think they've been ahead of the curve since the global financial crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes it would be good for the country if house prices slowed down.

They already have in Dublin

interesting viewpoints ...don't see any of the so called experts predicting a downfall where are the Eddie Hobbs ilk

Eddie hobbs leveraged up in the last boom,he's an idiot.the real analysts do't have to sell over priced books and alot of the irish commentators like david mcwilliams are captain hindsights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

Cyrus wrote: »
    They already have in Dublin

I have enquired about a fair amount houses recently that are on market for months

surprisingly no offers on them

seems there is gonna be lay offs for many EAs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement