Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

downcow wrote: »
    More urban myth.

roi and Jc in particular were shocked we didn’t just lie down and hand it to you’s. that was the problem. The atmosphere was electric and bb encouraged the fans to up the volume.
    And yes I’m sure there was sectarian stuff. But the context was we had played in Dublin and been sustained ira chants etc.
    Roi had lobbied fifa to get the game moved to England which was a disgusting trick and if they had succeeded may have meant we wouldn’t have had home games again for years - a dirty action
    There were roi fans in our stand and no one interfered with them.
    There was one roi fan in the away fans section I remember got up and held a picture of Celtic up to the home fans. He was marched out by the police and He was disciplined by his employer boi following it

It was also it a time of intense violence in ni
    But sure why let thrush stand in the way of a true story.

If you were there you should be able to tell us what was so terrible in your view.

Old Jc was very upset at the chants of ‘England b team’

And be careful with untruths as I might have evidence lol

This was written by somebody there. Alan McDonald at least came out of the credit wishing the Irish team well and represent all the island.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/billys-boys-still-cast-long-shadow-226925.html

A shameful night in Belfast but thankfully justice was done in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭downcow

The victimhood again.
    I was there, I watched Bingham wind up every sectarian chant. You are as usual talking bollicks.
    Every journalist I have ever read that was there, says the same thing. The night his mask slipped.
    He should have the stature of Charlton but nobody likes to talk about him much, after that night.

Oh boy. What a rewrite. Charlton was the manager who lost the plot. But here well not agree on this one. I have the video somewhere in the house and might get around to uploading it to bring some reality to it.

I can only see the first few lines of what you posted. Here’s Ringland giving you and insight very gently and diplomatically into the sectarianism of the Ireland rugby setup.
    So seems you are caught out again.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/gavin-mairs-why-its-time-to-take-a-stand-on-anthems-28061639.html

• Registered Users Posts: 66,858 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oh boy. What a rewrite. Charlton was the manager who lost the plot. But here well not agree on this one. I have the video somewhere in the house and might get around to uploading it to bring some reality to it.

If nothing else I am having a glass of wine and enjoying fully the repeat. Tough luck for Billy's boys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I can only see the first few lines of what you posted. Here’s Ringland giving you and insight very gently and diplomatically into the sectarianism of the Ireland rugby setup.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/gavin-mairs-why-its-time-to-take-a-stand-on-anthems-28061639.html

I dont see any sectarianism there. From what I have read from you link they flew the irfu flag and not a tricolour or union Jack and played irelands call. So a non issue. Totally different from the naked sectarianism of northern Irish soccer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

She is a Prod downcow and nothing...nothing like you. So quit claiming that your sensibility is a Prod one. It is an 'Orange' one.

Your claimed wife, if she exists, is not a typical "Prod" if she is married to a Republican extremist like you, one who posts morning noon and night 24/7 defending and advancing the SF position, although you claim you have never voted SF. You certainly are in no position to speak about how average "prods" feel: many protestants do not like to be called "prods" and even less vote for SF.

If nothing else I am having a glass of wine and enjoying fully the repeat. Tough luck for Billy's boys! :)

We couldn’t qualify and had nothing to lose but the pleasure it would have give us to put you’s out of USA.
    But hey sure that’s what makes football exciting you don’t win them all

Enjoy your wine and maybe you’ll wake up a new enlightened man

Caught out? Ireland’s call is the rugby anthem. Of course you can’t stand a United Ireland team in any sport just like you went silent that 21/28 of Olympic athletes up north chose the Irish team. I have never heard anyone not play for Ireland over amhran an bhfiann. Can you name anyone?

You also somehow defend the obvious sectarian bigotry that happened in 1993 in Belfast and pretend it didn’t happen. Greysteel chants? Did they happen?

janfebmar wrote: »
    Your claimed wife, if she exists, is not a typical "Prod" if she is married to a Republican extremist like you, one who posts morning noon and night 24/7 defending and advancing the SF position, although you claim you have never voted SF. You certainly are in no position to speak about how average "prods" feel: many protestants do not like to be called "prods" and even less vote for SF.

Yeah. There is a prod locally who married a catholic and she was big into her Irish culture and was a champion Irish dancer. She has dropped it all and attends the free Presbyterian church and every OOevent going. I actually think it is very sad that she wasn’t encouraged and enabled to cherish here culture and involve her kids in it. Sounds like same has happened Francie wife only the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Context my dear chap context.
    I was at the game I guess you are referring to. Could you tell me what the problem was and was it only one side guilty??

DC you say you have a respect for your community but I don't think that's true. When confronted with rampant sectarianism, murderers venerated and the obsession that the loyalist community have with "hating Irishness" you lack the conviction to defend it. Instead you repeat "well the other side do it too".

Maybe it's time for the community to grow up a bit and take responsibility. The other side are not responsible your actions or the offence that's caused by your blatant sectarianism. Nor is anyone who disagrees with you a "republican".

Imagine you're talking to someone from outside Ireland who sees the 12th of July on TV, the sectarian songs and the presence of serial killers in the Orange Order. They might express distaste for all the above so how would you respond to defend the community you love?

"Well the other side do it too".

Please, please DC if you have any power in your community you need to teach the meaning of responsibility to anyone who will listen. We're all responsible for our actions now. Your community, one of the poorest in Ireland and the UK has stagnated for decades because of this refusal to move on and take responsibility.

• Advertisement

You don't want the British anthem at soccer games but you think it is sectarian not to have it at rugby games?

The British anthem is neither yours nor ours downcow, it is the UK's or Britain's and neither the NI soccer team nor the Irish Rugby team represent the UK, they have their own national teams.
    Another debunking of the notion that NI is a 'country'.

I love how everyone down south must be SF if expresses an all Ireland view. All our large parties in the republic support a united Ireland. I have never voted SF in my life but believe unity best serves this island.

Caught out? Ireland’s call is the rugby anthem. Of course you can’t stand a United Ireland team in any sport just like you went silent that 21/28 of athletes up north chose the Irish team. I have never heard anyone not play for Ireland over amhran an bhfiann. Can you name anyone?

You also somehow defend the obvious sectarian bigotry that happened in 1993 in Belfast and pretend it didn’t happen. Greysteel chants? Did they happen?

I will be honest as I always am. I have zero recollection of greysteel chants but I know there was reference to the ira defeat at loughgal and 8-0 banners. Hardly a surprise remember this was a days after the Shankhill bomb and the news had just came out that the roi team listened to ira songs in their team coach

I will be honest as I always am. I have zero recollection of greysteel chants but I know there was reference to the ira defeat at loughgal and 8-0 banners. Hardly a surprise remember this was a days after the Shankhill bomb and the news had just came out that the roi team listened to ira songs in their team coach

Every journalist has reported on the greysteel chants. Let’s face it Windsor park was a sectarian cesspit that night as even admitted by north officials. It was reasonable to request to have the match moved given the levels of hatred and location of the stadium.

Are you for real? Ira songs? They listened to rebel songs on the way to the match celebrating Irish freedom and that is somehow justification for sectarian bigotry?

The 'ah shure what you would you expect' defence is in to go alongside the 'shure it's just kids' defence.

Up the yard downcow as they say in my parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You certainly are in no position to speak about how average "prods" feel: many protestants do not like to be called "prods" and even less vote for SF.

With all due respect J neither are you. I always feel sorry for the unionist community on Boards. There are some genuinely serious people who want to represent their community in the best light possible. Unfortunately your posts have not been of that calibre. You've used the term Prods multiple times yourself despite not being of said persuasion. Well in some threads you're not. Some you're a Catholic who votes for nationalist parties and sometimes you do vote unionist. Depending on the thread it seems. Anyway you're in no position to say who can talk for "prods" as you sectarianly put it. I think the unionist community deserve better than to be represented by someone who doesn't even have the conviction to say they're a member of that community.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

the sectarianism of the Ireland rugby setup

Your unionist privilege is showing and it is embarrassing. Ulster Rugby is, to their credit, trying to attract players from across the community and yet here you are crying that they won't play a song that keeps unionists like you happy.

You don't own NI, it's not your wee country any longer - that shit is over and it's never coming back.

My advice to you is to really do your best to make your nationalist neighbours happy with their lot because the very existence of 'your wee country' is in their hands in the not-too-distant future.

For starters it was downcow who used the 'prod' term first and I replied to him.

Otherwise...get out a bit more. Protestants can now freely marry Taigs, You may have missed that social advancement.

For starters it was downcow who used the 'prod' term first and I replied to him.

Otherwise...get out a bit more. Protestants can now freely marry Taigs, You may have missed that social advancement.

I do not believe you are married to a "prod" as you call her, and I do not believe you have never voted Sinn Fein as you have over 20,000 posts advancing their position. Yes there are a % of Protestants who are extremist Republican: but a very tiny percentage I can assure you. ;)

I get out plenty. I know Protestants can freely marry Taigs ( your words not mine). However more often than not the Roman Catholic partner was made promise to do his or her best to bring the kids up RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The victimhood again.
    I was there, I watched Bingham wind up every sectarian chant. You are as usual talking bollicks.
    Every journalist I have ever read that was there, says the same thing. The night his mask slipped.
    He should have the stature of Charlton but nobody likes to talk about him much, after that night.

I remember Billy Bingham as a manager for the team I follow,Everton who were regarded as a Catholic club back then in the 70s and always thought he was a true gentleman,I'm surprised and sceptical about claims he had sectarian views.

• Advertisement

RobMc59 wrote: »
    ,I'm surprised and sceptical about claims he had sectarian views.

If Francie and other professional Republicans told me what day of the week it was, I'd check the calendar.

wrote:
    I have zero recollection of greysteel chants but I know there was reference to the ira defeat at loughgal and 8-0 banners.... the roi team listened to ira songs in their team coach
    wrote:
    Yeah. There is a prod locally who married a catholic

wrote:
    You certainly are in no position to speak about how average "prods" feel: many protestants do not like to be called "prods"

Why do self-proclaimed loyalists have such hostility to the Queen's English?

j0v52v.jpg

steddyeddy wrote: »
    DC you say you have a respect for your community but I don't think that's true. When confronted with rampant sectarianism, murderers venerated and the obsession that the loyalist community have with "hating Irishness" you lack the conviction to defend it. Instead you repeat "well the other side do it too".

Maybe it's time for the community to grow up a bit and take responsibility. The other side are not responsible your actions or the offence that's caused by your blatant sectarianism. Nor is anyone who disagrees with you a "republican".

Imagine you're talking to someone from outside Ireland who sees the 12th of July on TV, the sectarian songs and the presence of serial killers in the Orange Order. They might express distaste for all the above so how would you respond to defend the community you love?

"Well the other side do it too".

Please, please DC if you have any power in your community you need to teach the meaning of responsibility to anyone who will listen. We're all responsible for our actions now. Your community, one of the poorest in Ireland and the UK has stagnated for decades because of this refusal to move on and take responsibility.

SteddyEddy. I amazed at the blinkered attitudes on here. Now it could be that many are relying on Republican propoganda and storytelling to get their news/history.
    I have just told you how I have strongly campaigned for change on the anthem played at NI matches, because I love my team and every player, no matter what their background, and it is more important to me that every catholic in our team can have ownership and be emboldened by the anthem than to have some jingoistic win over those that don't like us.
    So that contradicts what you are saying above
    In contrast every single nationalist posters on here, when confronted with the fact that playing the ROI anthem at home rugby matches is upsetting and offensive to Some Ireland team members, never mind fans, The attitude is basically 'we don't give a sh1t'. Am i reading this wrong?? ....and I haven't even mentioned the fact that when the teams joined there was a promise to play GSTQ when they played in the north which has obviously been broken.
    But I am really interested in whether you 'don't give a sh1t' about the feelings of northern players?????

You see the problem with many on here is that they think they are non-sectarian. I have travelled a journey which has lead me to understand that i am sectarian. I work on it to decrease it - but non the less I am sectarian (I can't be anything else growing up here). But here is the key, I am also strongly anti-sectarian ie I am working to end sectarianism. What frustrates me with many of the posters is that they can't even start that work until they recognise their own sectarianism. Believe it or not I challenge the sectarianism in my own community in the same way as I challenge it in the nationalist community - Understandably harder to do in ones own community

CptMackey wrote: »
    I dont see any sectarianism there. From what I have read from you link they flew the irfu flag and not a tricolour or union Jack and played irelands call. So a non issue. Totally different from the naked sectarianism of northern Irish soccer

Here it is laid bare. CptMackey read the article where Ringland very diplomatically expressed the inequality of national expression for the two main groups on this island when it comes to rugby internationals, and he has completely missed it and somehow hasn't even absorbed the fact that SS is played at home games.
    This is the unawareness i am talking about. Contrast that with how i feel disheartened every time GSTQ is played at NI games and i watch some beloved NI players standing embarrassed with their heads down.

You don't want the British anthem at soccer games but you think it is sectarian not to have it at rugby games?

The British anthem is neither yours nor ours downcow, it is the UK's or Britain's and neither the NI soccer team nor the Irish Rugby team represent the UK, they have their own national teams.
    Another debunking of the notion that NI is a 'country'.

Francie you are twisting again.
    I want neither SS or GSTQ at rugby games. I think you know that by my approach to NI games

Every journalist has reported on the greysteel chants. Let’s face it Windsor park was a sectarian cesspit that night as even admitted by north officials. It was reasonable to request to have the match moved given the levels of hatred and location of the stadium.

Are you for real? Ira songs? They listened to rebel songs on the way to the match celebrating Irish freedom and that is somehow justification for sectarian bigotry?

More urban myth. What do you believe about the location of the stadium??

The Village area to the north, was traditionally a unioinist area but for decades now it has been an eclectic mix of students of all denominations, ethnic minorities and yes still significant num,bers of unionists. To the front (east) (and main entry point) is the Lisburn Road - we are always reminded by nationalist politicians when flags go up, that this is a mixed but predominantly nationalist area. To the south is commercial mixed area with no housing. To the west and the other main entrance, is the Boucher Road 100% commercial area and no housing until just 500m where you enter republican West Belfast with the famous Rock Bar only 1km from Windsor.

The irony is that both Casement Park (gaa) and Kingspan (ulster rugby) are both situated in the heart of, and surrounded by single identity partisan residential populations, Windsor Park is in a very mixed and commercial area. But the amazing spin makes people in the South think the opposite.

It a bit like the claim that Windsor Park is named after royalty, which is also urban myth

Care to comment munsterlegend

Munsterlegend, I would be disgusted if the NI team, or England team for that matter, listened to anti-irish songs on the way to playing ROI. But you can excuse it. Fairly shocking.
    I can assure you Billy Bingham wasn't engaging his team in that type of stuff on the way to the game - but sure hes the biggot

steddyeddy wrote: »
    . I think the unionist community deserve better than to be represented by someone who doesn't even have the conviction to say they're a member of that community.

Steddy eddy. This is one of the problems, you can't even comprehend how someone can see positive in a community other than your own. Thats called sectarianism and bigotry

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I remember Billy Bingham as a manager for the team I follow,Everton who were regarded as a Catholic club back then in the 70s and always thought he was a true gentleman,I'm surprised and sceptical about claims he had sectarian views.

Who said he had sectarian views?

I said he was winding the sectarian chants up that night. Turning to the crowd and urging them to keep it up.

It's history now ...that night. I doubt we here are going to rewrite it.

• Advertisement

Francie you are twisting again.
    I want neither SS or GSTQ at rugby games. I think you know that by my approach to NI games

GSTQ is the anthem the English use why would you use it for a combined UI team?
    I'd imagine the decision was made because it was deemed a stupid choice.

Advertisement