Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

downcow wrote: »
    I don’t have a problem with it. In fact I am very proud my community allow the most provocative display the ira can parade through their are and just ignore it.

It’s hypocrisy that I despise

And what community is that D?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,925 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

My point exactly. The behaviour of the republican bands in Kilkeel is disgraceful but the unionist community ignore them.

Apologies - some of the republican bands. Some are respectful.

If it isn't provoking anyone, what can be done?

No point whinging on here if you refuse to engage with the Parades Commission.

Are you silent because you want your 'cultural' expressions on 11th night to continue? That's obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭downcow

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Could you provide a few links? .

Certainly.
    There’s actually a much better video on Facebook but I don’t know how to link it. It contains the ira chants and shows parade being lead a well known dissident who is responsible for the deaths of several Protestant residents
    Remember this is kilkeel town centre (95%) Protestant.

The prods were inside watching coronation street which is where nationalists in ardoyne should be when parades are passing their shops.

https://youtu.be/EdXV2c4RYZY

That’s another bubble burst for you.

Certainly.
    There’s actually a much better video on Facebook but I don’t know how to link it. It contains the ira chants and shows parade being lead a well known dissident who is responsible for the deaths of several Protestant residents
    Remember this is kilkeel town centre (95%) Protestant. And in case you think the crowd on the other side of the street are protesters just note the Celtic shirts.

The prods were inside watching coronation street which is where nationalists in ardoyne should be when parades are passing their shops.

https://youtu.be/EdXV2c4RYZY

That’s another bubble burst for you.

If they are causing provocation and offence then that is wrong.

Clearly, as you keep saying, it isn't, so it is similar to all the peaceful Orange parades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

If they are causing provocation and offence then that is wrong.

A lot of H-block commemorations and the like cause offence. However a lot of people keep their head down and do not complain. Who wants to get their windows broken or tyre slashed?

Hypocrisy Francie. Can i assure you that Matina Anderson was wearing her IRA T shirt much closer to where the child was killed than the band was to where the BS people were killed

Imagine the outrage if Unionists were commemorating Shankhill butchers or some loyalist paramilitary group? Yet Republicans get away with it.

• Advertisement

janfebmar wrote: »
    A lot of H-block commemorations and the like cause offence. However a lot of people keep their head down and do not complain. Who wants to get their windows broken or tyre slashed?

There has to be conversations about commemorating the dead, on both sides.

That cannot be confused with plain and simple blatant and visible taunting and provocation. A normal society can not be built if the main political party of Unionism is partaking in these bonfires and parades.

There has to be conversations about commemorating the dead, on both sides.

Not the point. The Republicans glorify and commemoate Republican paramilitaries, and do not condemn their murderous deeds. Most unionists do not
    glorify and commermoate Loyalist paramilitaries, or condone their murderous deeds.

Not the point. The Republicans glorify and commemoate Republican paramilitaries, and do not condemn their murderous deeds. Most unionists do not
    glorify and commermoate Loyalist paramilitaries, or condone their murderous deeds.

Sure jan. Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

If it isn't provoking anyone, what can be done?

No point whinging on here if you refuse to engage with the Parades Commission.

Are you silent because you want your 'cultural' expressions on 11th night to continue? That's obscene.

The wearing the para badge was wrong and must have caused distress to the families of those killed on bloody sunday.
    Apart from that,I don`t see any difference between either side-they`re as bad as each other.Bonfires are anti social,a danger to the community and inflammatory, whose ever they are,the burning of flags and pictures of people is wrong and people saying one side is worse than the other are only kidding themselves.You only have to look on the internet to see what`s been going on and what`s planned this evening in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I don’t have a problem with it. In fact I am very proud my community allow the most provocative display the ira can parade through their are and just ignore it.

It’s hypocrisy that I despise

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahaha.

No, I can straig...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,997 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This is ridiculous. Do you know any event involving 100,000s that there is not minor issues at the perifery. GAA matches, St Patricks day, whatever. It seems you requirement for behaviour by 100,000s at 12th is no one gets drunk, no litter is dropped, no one urinates where they should't - show me any large nationalist event and i will show you law braeking. This is clear sectarian begotry

So no litter eh why did the Belfast council spend £21000 to clean up after he 12th last year?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45187951

twelfth+parade+belfast+5.jpg

Bandmen peeing in peoples gardens

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2015/02/14/news/loyalist-bandsmen-accused-of-urinating-in-gardens-not-being-pursued-by-police-115886/

Shall i go on or are you happy with the evidence provided?

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The wearing the para badge was wrong and must have caused distress to the families of those killed on bloody sunday.
    Apart from that,I don`t see any difference between either side-they`re as bad as each other.Bonfires are anti social,a danger to the community and inflammatory, whose ever they are,the burning of flags and pictures of people is wrong and people saying one side is worse than the other are only kidding themselves.You only have to look on the internet to see what`s been going on and what`s planned this evening in Derry.

Here is a large part of the problem writ large. Responding after a meeting with the PSNI:
    Commenting on the talks, DUP leader Arlene Foster said they “do not believe motifs worn by band members were illegal and they did not tangibly threaten a breach of the peace”.

Foster said the DUP “welcomed the opportunity to challenge the PSNI on this operation”.

Contrast with SF on Interment bonfires:

A rally called by members of Sinn Féin has been held in the New Lodge tonight following days of anti-social behaviour.

Hundreds of residents came together on Victoria Parade, along with Carál Ní Chuilín, Gerry Kelly and JJ Magee, following violence surrounding the controversial anti-internment bonfire on August 8.

Speaking at the rally, Ms Ní Chuilín told locals that the events last week were 'absolutely pathetic'.

She said: "50 years ago we had to leave our homes because we were under threat from outside of our community.

"50 years later we have had to ask our families to leave their homes because of a threat within the community .

"That is not going to happen again. Never, ever again.

READ MORE
    Gerry Adams says New Lodge bonfire should "should never have got to this point"

So no litter eh why did the Belfast council spend £21000 to clean up after he 12th last year?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45187951

twelfth+parade+belfast+5.jpg

Bandmen peeing in peoples gardens

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2015/02/14/news/loyalist-bandsmen-accused-of-urinating-in-gardens-not-being-pursued-by-police-115886/

Shall i go on or are you happy with the evidence provided?

You have got over excited in your bigotry. Read back again. I am agreeing with you. At every large event whether music festival, st Patrick’s , 12th some people will drop litter and pee where they shouldn’t. Keep your hair on

Here is a large part of the problem writ large. Responding after a meeting with the PSNI:

Contrast with SF on Interment bonfires:

Sf have tonight commended the young people building the fire in bogside for doing everything that was asked of them. No look at the bonfire. Hahahahaha

Sf have tonight commended the young people building the fire in bogside for doing everything that was asked of them. No look at the bonfire. Hahahahaha

The young people have responded to mediation (do you know how community work works?). What would you guys do if you ever made a serious effort to solve your own mega issues with bonfires? Flog them?

No, you would welcome the police backing off or like Arlene, accuse the police and then get selfies taken at the bonfires like other DUPers have.
    Face it, downcow you are a long way behind here. And I think you want to stay behind...that's the depressing bit.

Considering they no longer have the bonfire in the middle of the road like last year it is a step up. just no need for some of the stuff that was on the bonfire from the pictures i have seen

Face it, downcow you are a long way behind here.

You are right Francie, Downcow and Co are a long way behind certain people in the sectarianism stakes.

You are right Francie, Downcow and Co are a Kong way behind certain people in the sectarianism stakes.

Downcow wants the behaviour in the video to continue so that his kids can engage in their 11th night 'cultural' activity Jan...consistency he calls it.

Downcow wants the behaviour in the video to continue so that his kids can engage in their 11th night 'cultural' activity Jan...consistency he calls it.

The 11th of July Bonfires and 12th of July parades are mostly harmless enough Francie. Much less offensive than the Sinn Fein MEP attending an event to glorify Republic paramilitaries and literally dancing on the spot where a protestant child was slaughtered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

Not sure if it's been posted here already but there is an excellent podcast on the 12th I listened to recently. Irishpassport.com.
    Basically 2 friends from Dublin spending the 11th and 12th in Derry and Belfast and visiting bonfire parties. Really good insight into the mindset of people celebrating both good and bad.

JDigweed, the site you mention above, irishpassport.com does not contain anything like you suggest, it is just a website address for sale.
    here is the SF leadership in action just this week. watch the video and tell me does it make you sick to see the SF MEP dancing in the square where the IRA murdered a 5 month old protestant baby and then Shouting chuckie ar la 3 times on the sport the baby was murdered ......and we are concerned about a legal logo on the slieve of a bands shirts - young men who are not MEPs

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/video-news/martina-anderson-calls-out-tiocfaidh-ar-la-at-hunger-strike-commemoration-in-strabane-38374876.html

I wonder what the rest of the European Parliament thinks of her antics? Surely it is bringing the European Parliament in to disrepute if a member behaves like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

The 11th of July Bonfires and 12th of July parades are mostly harmless enough Francie. Much less offensive than the Sinn Fein MEP attending an event to glorify Republic paramilitaries and literally dancing on the spot where a protestant child was slaughtered.

As harmless as the clyde valley flute band parading through Derry with the parachute insignia on their uniforms and the letter F displayed in support of a murderer,very close to where the atrocity was carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I find Martina Anderson an embarrassment tbh. A bit uncouth.

She is very incoherent, and seems to struggle to form a proper sentence when she's chatting.

And some of the stuff she comes out with is cringeworthy. I wonder do SF know beforehand what shes going to say, or is she allowed free reign to say whatever she wants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

JDigweed, the site you mention above, irishpassport.com does not contain anything like you suggest, it is just a website address for sale.

I wonder what the rest of the European Parliament thinks of her antics? Surely it is bringing the European Parliament in to disrepute if a member behaves like that?

You've some chip on your shoulder there hun

a quick google (obbviously beyond your limitations) of "Irish passport podcast" will show that its https://theirishpassport.com/, would you not have been better googling that than making a smart little comment?

I mean how dare a poster miss out the word the... tut tut tut

although it probably offends your backwards little brain that it contains the word Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

"We experienced a friendly and family-focused aspect of the festival, but also came face to face with its dark side, as we stood among thick crowds around a towering Belfast bonfire as those around us chanted We hate Catholics"

but its "Culture" though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

gwalk wrote: »
    "We experienced a friendly and family-focused aspect of the festival, but also came face to face with its dark side, as we stood among thick crowds around a towering Belfast bonfire as those around us chanted We hate Catholics"

but its "Culture" though
    Is this attached link any better?
    https://www.derryjournal.com/news/crime/dressing-of-derry-bonfire-with-offensive-material-a-hate-crime-says-psni-1-9036963

ding ding ding ding - Jaffa Whataboutery klaxon

• Advertisement

What dowmcow/janfebmar would say here is that 'it was just kids indulging in their culture'.

What happened here is that nationalist politicians made huge efforts to try and mediate. Have publicly condemned this and have even offered a dignified alternative event.

I.E. The missing quotient - Unionists visibly working to stop this in their communities.

Advertisement