Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin TV360

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

deravarra wrote: »
    Anyone using the new TV app while at work where they use VPN based in the US?

Tried it just now. It works on US VPN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

califano wrote: »
    Tried it just now. It works on US VPN.

I work in one of those multinationals with a US based vpn and the older app always said something like "you must be in ireland to use this app".

More often than not, most of the TV programmes were restricted from viewing when outside my wifi network.

If the new one allows me to watch everything, then I would consider going back. But they would also want to raise the limit of 2 devices registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

You will never be able to watch everything and that's down to the Broadcasters.

I thought they raised it to more that 2 devices but may be wrong. Yeah licensing is a pain the way some channels are restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,755 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I recently upgraded from Horizon to 360.

The difference is massive. The ease of use, and the speed, of the user system, is, I was going to say incredible, but really it isn't. It is what it should have always been.

But it is a marked improvement on the Horizon box. Having the profiles, sure its a bit of a gimmick but it actually works and makes thing easier. The kids love it as it is now 'their' TV system.

I have found some issues trying to record to the second box, particularly from the app but even directly from the controller.

If you get multi-room it is really odd that they have the exact same remote for all boxes, rather than some difference. A simple colour change, shape change, something, would have made sense. I just put a sticker on mine to mark it out. Not a major issue I agree but should have been done.

Picture quality seems to be a bit better, but that is purely subjective on my part. What does seem better is we are suffering far less digitisation issues. We were having serious issues on the likes of CNN (given the US election we have been watching that quite a lot recently) which seem to have largely disappeared.

Overall, very glad to have upgraded. Yes it costs a bit more, but in reality, the horizon system was not fit for purpose and was not user friendly so in essence it was more a PITA and thus a total waste of money.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I recently upgraded from Horizon to 360.

The difference is massive. The ease of use, and the speed, of the user system, is, I was going to say incredible, but really it isn't. It is what it should have always been.

But it is a marked improvement on the Horizon box. Having the profiles, sure its a bit of a gimmick but it actually works and makes thing easier. The kids love it as it is now 'their' TV system.

I have found some issues trying to record to the second box, particularly from the app but even directly from the controller.

If you get multi-room it is really odd that they have the exact same remote for all boxes, rather than some difference. A simple colour change, shape change, something, would have made sense. I just put a sticker on mine to mark it out. Not a major issue I agree but should have been done.

Picture quality seems to be a bit better, but that is purely subjective on my part. What does seem better is we are suffering far less digitisation issues. We were having serious issues on the likes of CNN (given the US election we have been watching that quite a lot recently) which seem to have largely disappeared.

Overall, very glad to have upgraded. Yes it costs a bit more, but in reality, the horizon system was not fit for purpose and was not user friendly so in essence it was more a PITA and thus a total waste of money.

Yeah I agree with you entirely its a breath of frest air compared to Horizon but really what were getting now we should have already in the 20th century!. The main box needs to be powered on to set a recording and not in standby(One thing that Horizon could do that this cant!). There is certain exceptions I think. For instance if the thing you need to record is next week then as long as the main box is switched on before next week then your recording will take effect. If your recording in the 2nd box is in 20 minutes then if your main box is not switched on before this time the recording wont take.

The live pause only works for a few short minutes on the second box its an annoyance but I suppose you can live with that.

Yes it would be a good idea to have a colour code difference at least with the multiroom remote. Most people dont have multiroom so I suppose they cared less about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

That comment about remote is really one of the most bizzare things Ive read today... like, thats not a thing thats done anywhere.. you cant just make up new things and be upset its not a thing that was done...

That comment about remote is really one of the most bizzare things Ive read today... like, thats not a thing thats done anywhere.. you cant just make up new things and be upset its not a thing that was done...

exactly, who ever thought that innovation or new ideas were a good thing!

exactly, who ever thought that innovation or new ideas were a good thing!

The design, cost, implementation, logistics and distribution for no specific gain that cant be achieved with a sticker or bit of tape is why noone does it.

"The live pause only works for a few short minutes on the second box its an annoyance but I suppose you can live with that."

Press record and then pause it and then it's just like the main box. Not ideal but it works.

• Advertisement

The design, cost, implementation, logistics and distribution for no specific gain that cant be achieved with a sticker or bit of tape is why noone does it.

I understand why they didn't do it, but they are charging a monthly fee so while I agree they didn't need to do it, it would be helpful and not something too difficult to achieve.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    You will never be able to watch everything and that's down to the Broadcasters.

No issues with any channel watched through the Sky Q app.

deravarra wrote: »
    No issues with any channel watched through the Sky Q app.

- You can't stream Itv3 or Itv 4 at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I understand why they didn't do it, but they are charging a monthly fee so while I agree they didn't need to do it, it would be helpful and not something too difficult to achieve.

I've had sky multi room for years, both remotes are identical can't say there's ever been a problem. Getting a remote moulded in a different colour would be quite difficult to achieve.

- You can't stream Itv3 or Itv 4 at all.

Well, I couldn't think of any reason I would want to :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

mollser wrote: »
    After a reset of the 360 box by switching off at the back, my remote has unpaired itself from Samsung tv. Worked perfectly up to yesterday, have tried holding "OK" and 0 button for 10+ seconds as recommended, and tried the pairing mechanism in settings, just won't work.

This is for volume and on/off.

Any other tips?

Thx!

This is happening to me now. Tried taking the batteries out for 30 seconds no luck. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 highpath

Hi All

Got the 360 box yesterday. Just one but very major issue. The red colours are not right. I have tried changing all the resolution settings on the box and played around with the tv settings but cant get to anywhere near the quality on the old horizon box. Any ideas...would reboot help?

TIA

Highpath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Loughc wrote: »
    This is happening to me now. Tried taking the batteries out for 30 seconds no luck. Any ideas?

Hi Loughc, no we haven't been able to resolve this, factory reset didn't work either. I thought it was just us. I was going to contact them but need to build up my patience for that!

TV manufacturer info gets passed down through the HDMI.

Is there anything in your setup like old HDMI cables or plugging into something else etc that may be stopping the manufacturer code from being passed correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hi Loughc, no we haven't been able to resolve this, factory reset didn't work either. I thought it was just us. I was going to contact them but need to build up my patience for that!

I was able to fix mine. I had a Christmas decoration blocking the TV signal :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Polar101

So.. does anyone know what the deal is with Discovery HD (channel 208?)? I'm on the "bigger" bundle with 50 channels, and according to the website I'm supposed to have it in the bundle, but I don't.

So far I've contacted VM support 3 times about it

1) It should be included, "refreshed entitlements" (nothing happened)
    2) A technician will be sent out (never arrived)
    3) Not sure if it should be included, but Discovery SD works (700-series channel) and they'll find out about Discovery HD (never heard back)

After so many hours I just gave up, but would have been nice to get it sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Polar101 wrote: »
    So.. does anyone know what the deal is with Discovery HD (channel 208?)? I'm on the "bigger" bundle with 50 channels, and according to the website I'm supposed to have it in the bundle, but I don't.

3) Not sure if it should be included, but Discovery SD works (700-series channel) and they'll find out about Discovery HD (never heard back)

After so many hours I just gave up, but would have been nice to get it sorted out.

Yes, I have the exact same issue.

Can you try Drama channel catch up - go back on the guide and try and watch something. For me that does not work either.

For me to fix this issue they:

1. Resent the signal and booked a tech- failed
    2. Called me over video to fix - failed
    3. Sent me out a new box - failed
    4. New box reboots if I want to use wifi - so have to use a cable. - failed
    5. Tried some "high level stuff" - failed.
    6. Booked a second tech to call out - but was not "entered correctly" so he never turned up. - failed
    7. Called again and was told "he has to go for lunch now - do I want to speak to someone else".
    8. Booked another tech - which I am waiting for. - PENDING

Advised, this is an issue on their end as it's subscription and it also does not work on tablet. Advised there are complaints online - not interested.

I'll let you know if they ever fix it.

Polar101 wrote: »

Does Nat Geo HD and History HD work also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

What is the difference between the Full House Bundle and the Bigger Than Big Bundle? Are there more channels? I can't find anything on the VM Website

No difference as far as I know channel wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

No difference as far as I know channel wise.

Its difficult to understand what the differences are between both

Full house is old Horizon box and now it's called Bigger than big for 360 box.

Just noticed that Film 4 HD has replay now, just watched Taken 3 that was on last night.
    Also SKY 1 seems to have replay now also.

Full house is old Horizon box and now it's called Bigger than big for 360 box.

And yet much much smaller than their UK counterparts.

Why do we have to take the crumbs while paying considerably more than they do?

I tried the upgrade link again and this time there was a "one off activation fee" of €0 listed at checkout instead of €50. I went ahead and ordered it. Hope it's not some kind of trick. Currently paying €99 a month but the new package will be €104.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just to note, it seems Virgin Media U.K. are now also issuing Virgin 360 boxes with the Horizon 4 platform, so both countries are now aligned STB-wise. Seems to be the end of their long-standing relationship with TiVo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Anyone know if Sky Sports Box Office is in HD on 360 or is it still stuck in SD? Virgin's chat was less than useless

Still in SD as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

has anybody upgraded to VM 360 by moving from a 240 mb broadband package to a 500 mb one (Bigger Bundle) ? If so could u please tell me if the internet speed really doubles and make it worthwhile (apart from the improved Tv interface). Trying to decide if going for the Big Bundle or Bigger Bundle options...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shamrock 64

has anybody upgraded to VM 360 by moving from a 240 mb broadband package to a 500 mb one (Bigger Bundle) ? If so could u please tell me if the internet speed really doubles and make it worthwhile (apart from the improved Tv interface). Trying to decide if going for the Big Bundle or Bigger Bundle options...

Thanks
    I've done a few speed tests and regularly get around 500mb, topped out at 502 once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You'll get 500mb on a wired connection, no issue. However consider that you'll never likely need it or achieve it in real world scenarios (outside of speed tests).

The advantage here is really with the 50Mb upload speed.

Still in SD as far as I know.

Graphic used by Virgin on channel said HD. Can anyone who ordered PPV Boxing confirm if it was in HD and not SD?

2nd 4K show has dropped on your 360 boxes - The Feed - 10 episodes.

Graphic used by Virgin on channel said HD. Can anyone who ordered PPV Boxing confirm if it was in HD and not SD?

It was HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

2nd 4K show has dropped on your 360 boxes - The Feed - 10 episodes.

Whats the other show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shamrock 64

Whats the other show?

The Rook,in the on-demand section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

Is there any way of removing the white dots on the bottom right of the screen when viewing Sky Sports? I'm thinking of buying an OLED TV and I could do without more burn in worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I wouldn't be worried unless it was the only thing I watched all day all week.

My LG OLED has a built in function to dim parts of the screen when it detects static logos on the screen but I watch enough varied content to not worry about burn-in.

Is there any way of removing the white dots on the bottom right of the screen when viewing Sky Sports? I'm thinking of buying an OLED TV and I could do without more burn in worries.

-No.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭beanderb4

Got a new box on Saturday tv 360 box with 1 gb broadband. Tv box has not worked and it is now Tuesday. Have spent 5 hours on telephone trying to contact and resolve this issue. Virgin now saying there is a global issue with users getting Cs1010 error affecting all TV 360 boxes. Anyone else having an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭JDxtra

beanderb4 wrote: »
    Got a new box on Saturday tv 360 box with 1 gb broadband. Tv box has not worked and it is now Tuesday. Have spent 5 hours on telephone trying to contact and resolve this issue. Virgin now saying there is a global issue with users getting Cs1010 error affecting all TV 360 boxes. Anyone else having an issue.

Have you changed DNS by any chance, or using your own router (with VM in modem mode)? If yes, try reverting to a standard setting to see if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

beanderb4 wrote: »

Nope it is working fine for me. Most likely your new TV setup has not been provisioned , the same happened me and took days to resolve. If you still have your old box, see does TV work on that .... most likely yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭beanderb4

towger wrote: »
    Nope it is working fine for me. Most likely your new TV setup has not been provisioned , the same happened me and took days to resolve. If you still have your old box, see does TV work on that .... most likely yes.
    Ok. Turned out VM were having a central issue at the time I tried to install the new 360 box. After 3 days of no TV they eventually sent out new TV360 boxes to all impacted users. So installed the new box on the fourth day without TV and it installed without issue. They were unable to centrally resolve the impacted boxes, hence new boxes were needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

Has anybody found a protection case for the new VM 360 remote control? I couldn’t find anything specific on line so any suggestion would be great. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

After a reset of the 360 box by switching off at the back, my remote has unpaired itself from Samsung tv. Worked perfectly up to yesterday, have tried holding "OK" and 0 button for 10+ seconds as recommended, and tried the pairing mechanism in settings, just won't work.

This is for volume and on/off.

Any other tips?

Thx!

Eventually got this paired again with a combination of the helpful advice here plus one other important step as follows:

1. Take batteries out of remote
    2. Switch off box using switch at the back
    3. Leave for a few minutes
    4. Insert batteries
    5. Switch on box.
    6. NB: when the welcome screen is showing, do the pair remote action, I.e. hold TV and 0 for 10 seconds.

Then it all worked again! 2 months I've been trying to do this lol

Advertisement