Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin TV360

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Try another HDMI port on Tv,try another HDMI cable, try 360 box and HDMI with another Tv.
    Narrow it down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

I cannot understand why they would spend so much on a new TV box, and still limit to 100 channels. This box is capable of much more - as in the UK, and they can get more than 200 channels!
    As always, Ireland playing second best to our UK masters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Polar101

I upgraded from a Horizon bundle to the new 360 bundle, 88 euro instead of the 87.50 I was paying before. New box seems pretty good so far, Netflix app works fine as well.

So far the only problem I've had is Discovery HD (channel 208) showing as "not subscribed", even though it should be. I was hoping to avoid contacting VM support, but I might have to unless it magically starts working tomorrow.

Based on previous experiences the bill is going to be wrong, but let's see.

The bundle names are ridiculous, I got the "bigger than big" bundle (I think), but the order confirmation says "bigger" bundle.

---

One thing I really liked: I got my packet delivered to Parcel Motel, and I got an equipment return "docket" (whatever you call them) with it, so I can just drop the old Horzion box to Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Am thinking about changing from my horizon box to this new 360 one. Does anyone know if the parental controls are any better? I don't want my younger kids watching ****e on YouTube, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭D15er

deravarra wrote: »
    I cannot understand why they would spend so much on a new TV box, and still limit to 100 channels. This box is capable of much more - as in the UK, and they can get more than 200 channels!

The box is not limited to 100 channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

deravarra wrote: »

Their website also mentions channels that aren't on the EPG anymore...

Real Lives which is now Sky Crime
    True Movies 1
    Disney Channel
    Disney Junior
    MTV OMG
    Club MTV
    MTV Rocks
    Heat
    VH1
    Sky Living HD which is now Sky Witness HD
    Disney Channel HD

And loads of the Logos are out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Hi all, just noticed the VM launched the new box, could wait to get rid of the nightmare of horizon, so I rang up and was quoted 119 a month.

I have TV broadband home phone and one multi room box. Has anyone else got a deal? Was told they cant reduce the price as it has just launched.

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Virgin Media have good technical reasons to insist on broadband with TV 360 - Channel 200 is IPTV and On Demand and watching your recordings on a 2nd box all runs over the internet.

Sky manage to do it just fine.

BTW there is no way watching local recordings goes over the internet. It goes over your local wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

D15er wrote: »
    The box is not limited to 100 channels.

I never said it was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I did a podcast with Paul Higgins from Virgin Media about their 360 TV service and it can be heard here. https://irishtechnews.ie/paul-higgins-from-virgin-media-on-their-new-virgin-tv-360-service/

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Sky manage to do it just fine.

BTW there is no way watching local recordings goes over the internet. It goes over your local wifi.[/QUOTE

Cable and satellite different technologies. Sorry yes local wifi for recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Has anyone get the new router that comes with 500mb and 1GB internet?

If so is it any good or should I keep the current white router.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Got the equipment delivered today for 360 tv and giga bb. Went do the set up and can’t connect to the net so can’t get the tv working now either. Tried calling and WhatsApp for technical support....not in office now until Monday. Disaster service.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Their website also mentions channels that aren't on the EPG anymore...

Real Lives which is now Sky Crime
    True Movies 1
    Disney Channel
    Disney Junior
    MTV OMG
    Club MTV
    MTV Rocks
    Heat
    VH1
    Sky Living HD which is now Sky Witness HD
    Disney Channel HD

And loads of the Logos are out of date

I noticed today that RT News has gone from my program list. Maybe "they" don't want us to know the Russian view of the shambles that is the US presidential election. I 'm still using the Horizon box.

Jay328 wrote: »
    Has anyone get the new router that comes with 500mb and 1GB internet?

If so is it any good or should I keep the current white router.

Just like the new TV 360 box the new modem is better than the white Compal modem which is still an excellent modem.

1GB only works with the new modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

Mearings wrote: »
    I noticed today that RT News has gone from my program list. Maybe "they" don't want us to know the Russian view of the shambles that is the US presidential election. I 'm still using the Horizon box.

Yep RT News is gone from my Virgin 360 box too. Virgin has now lost 8 channels since August.

MTV OMG
    MTV Rocks
    Club MTV
    Disney Channel
    Disney Junior
    Eir Sport 1
    True Movies 1
    RT News

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

AJB39 wrote: »
    Yep RT News is gone from my Virgin 360 box too. Virgin has now lost 8 channels since August.

MTV OMG
    MTV Rocks
    Club MTV
    Disney Channel
    Disney Junior
    Eir Sport 1
    True Movies 1
    RT News

A bit disingenuous to say Virgin has lost these 8 channels when 5 of them have ceased broadcasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

AJB39 wrote: »

MTV OMG
    MTV Rocks
    Club MTV
    Disney Channel
    Disney Junior
    Eir Sport 1
    True Movies 1
    RT News

I am with Sky using Sky Q and I am pretty happy with it.

However Eir pulled their channel from Virgin and it is not part of the Sky pack either.

6 of the other channels you mention have closed and are also gone from Sky.

As for RT it would not surprise me if it was pressure from the higher ups to remove this channel.

RT is live on Youtube in HD and you have a Youtube app on your 360 box enjoy.

On Demand is the real growth sector these days I would say we will lose a lot more broadcast channels as we go forward.

I have been critical of Virgin Media in the past but the 360 box seems like a nice bit of kit.

Only noticed a few days ago that a Channel 4 player (not sure if content is exactly the same as All 4) is on the 360 box.

The Virtues for example (excellent drama) is still available on this. Pretty sure it's SD only.

The replay tv which is available in HD is great on all the channel 4 channels.

If Virgin could convince BBC to even agree to replay tv and a stripped down Iplayer that would be massive but I doubt it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Clitheroekid

Channel 4 player has been on the horizon box for the last 2 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,340 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Was watching the older 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' on Challenge, the one with Chris Tarrant which was obviously recorded in 4:3 mode in the days before widescreen.

There is a setting in the TV360 box under 'Audio & Video' called '4:3 Handling' and the options are described as follows....
    Use Full Mode to stretch the image, pillar box to display it in the middle or zoom to cover the screen.

I prefer to see the image as it was recorded so I selected 'pillar box' and it initially shows the original 4:3 image in the centre of the screen with a black bar left and right but every now and then, it stretches the image to fill and the screen, then it reverts to pillar mode. Gets to be a PITA so I just set it to full mode.

Anyone else having this problem with older programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

The functionality is excellent on this box. Its such a good upgrade.
    One thing I did notice unless someone can dispel this claim as its a small sample size of trialling is that recording tv via the app doesn't seem to work if your 360 box is on standby by the time of the show starts.
    This wasn't a problem on the Horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

I finally got a chance to compare this to Sky Q for those with a choice.

While this is a night and day improvement over Horizon it's no competition for Sky Q. Given that it's pretty much the same price or more expensive there's no contest.

You have got to be joking me.

I not too long ago switched from VM to sky and what a mistake that was!

Sky lasted not even one week and was replaced, the picture and sound were truly AWFUL, i mean horrible. I'll put up anyday of the week with sluggish interface etc than have to sit through that crap.

On top of that all the problem's I had with cancelling sky, I mean lie after lie telling me i was outside the cancellation period etc, how that company get's away with it all is beyond me. Totally disgraceful.

I wanted to get sky in for the extra's but didn't pay close enough attention to the complaints about sound and picture, my bad! Lesson learnt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Sapele wrote: »

Sky lasted not even one week and was replaced, the picture and sound were truly AWFUL, i mean horrible. I'll put up anyday of the week with sluggish interface etc than have to sit through that crap.

On top of that all the problem's I had with cancelling sky, I mean lie after lie telling me i was outside the cancellation period etc, how that company get's away with it all is beyond me. Totally disgraceful.

I wanted to get sky in for the extra's but didn't pay close enough attention to the complaints about sound and picture, my bad! Lesson learnt

I didn't notice if the sound was any better than sky but the picture quality was certainly impressive, very very sharp indeed. The mediocre channel choice with VM would prevent me (the missus) from making the jump, stringing even more cable around the ranch would get a big negatory too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Sound and picture problems? In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,340 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Accidentally pressed the 'back' button while watching a recorded program and it dumped me out. When I selected play again, I expected a popup screen to offer me a 'resume' option but there was none so I had to manually FF to the spot where I had been watching. There's no 'Stop' (white square) control on the remote :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

califano wrote: »
    has anyone managed to find set a Harmony remote control that works?. The 'Virginmedia V6' seems to be there but doesn't work?.
    Doomofman wrote: »
    Use 'upc mediabox' that's what finally got it to work for me.

Found out it needs to be set up as 'Ziggo Mediabox Next'.

One thing I cant stop is the box switching off when I change HDMI ports using harmony remote. Even when I check the power settings to 'Keep on always on but switch off when off button is presses'.
    I even tried 'keep device always on' but still the box switches off when hdmi changes. I then done the same with my tv device but same!.
    Are you having this ussue?.

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Think you must have had it set up wrong or dodgy equipment, Sky's picture quality is better than Virgin's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Think you must have had it set up wrong or dodgy equipment, Sky's picture quality is better than Virgin's.

Have you seen the 360's picture? I was very impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

You have to pay for HD with sky, an as far as I know they are the only provider to charge for it I'm open to correction though.and as much as it annoys me to say Virgin's quality is far superior to sky

Advertisement