Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to stop eating meat?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Yeah that definitely happened!

It did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

vasch_ro wrote: »
    Try it for a week and see how you get on, I was in the same boat as you, myself and family for the month of Jan. haven't looked back, my wife found the lack of Sunday roast hard but that's about it, had a work night out in Box Burger in Bray had their avocado burger dish very good, challenge yourself to a week and see what you think.

I've done the meat free week or two and felt ****. I like to cook and chicken would be my preferred meat for a lot of recipes. I enjoy red meat and pork from time to time. Roast beef, Pork fillet. Lamb I'm not so keen on. Funnily enough, my other half would have less appreciation for quality meat and when I met her would have no problem devouring a burger, but wouldn't touch a slow roasted cut of beef. Despite her love of "processed" meat, she probaby has more meat free days than I do. No problem for her to exist on pasta, eggs and cheese for weeks on end. But she wouldn't hesitate in ordering a takeaway burger after a night out. I would. Personally I find a balanced diet of various decent meats is acceptable to my taste. As for the damage its doing to the planet, I have limited knowledge of that so can't comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Numpties on their extremist vegan diet preaching to the world is my point. I don't care, I eat what I want, don't force your views on everyone else.

Who's f**king forcing views on anyone? I hate this. People get so insecure about the idea of eating less meat - it's immediately responded to with "JESUS CHRIST STOP RAMMING YOUR VIEWS DOWN MY THROAT".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Numpties on their extremist vegan diet preaching to the world is my point. I don't care, I eat what I want, don't force your views on everyone else.

The extremists colour everyone's view on vegetarianism/veganism though :( I'm veggie, but you'd never know unless you asked me directly about what I was eating. I generally just mind my own business while following my own set of ideals. I'd be the same if I went vegan. I'm not an activist. But you know what? The world needs activists in all fields or nothing would ever change (not talking about veganism in particular here).

Outspoken people are needed to make the rest of us think, whether that makes us uncomfortable or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I dont know the difference between vegetarian and vegan, but i am neither, just a person that has cut back on meat, still like meat but in way smaller portions, and skipping meat some days,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Zaph wrote: »
    I'd start eating my own limbs before I'd resort to becoming a veggie.

That would technically be carnivorous.

Who's f**king forcing views on anyone? I hate this. People get so insecure about the idea of eating less meat - it's immediately responded to with "JESUS CHRIST STOP RAMMING YOUR VIEWS DOWN MY THROAT".

She was and I was disgusted, so every time shes here I have meat and gravy at the ready.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

She was and I was disgusted, so every time shes here I have meat and gravy at the ready.

Well it sounds like you both deserve each other tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Every animal I eat is one less animal killing the planet, the taste is just a happy coincidence :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Todd Gack wrote: »
    I think there is

Don't worry that was intentional.
    Hangovers have become hell for this little bear.

I have been thinking about cutting out meat for sometime now so I guess I'll have to give it ago and see how I get on. I imagine it's a hard process to being but once you've adapted maintained quite easily. We all struggle changing habits, it just requires a little effort. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

God you're so hilarious :D
    No but really that kind of makes you a bit of an assh*le.

There's only one person in this thread behaving like an asshole...

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Every animal I eat is one less animal killing the planet, the taste is just a happy coincidence :D:D

With a lot of mint for lamb.....hmmmmm, it's all over the place here in west Wicklow, nothing like a bit of Wicklow meat. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You should try the wild Venison OMG :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Don't worry that was intentional.
    Hangovers have become hell for this little bear.

I have been thinking about cutting out meat for sometime now so I guess I'll have to give it ago and see how I get on. I imagine it's a hard process to being but once you've adapted maintained quite easily. We all struggle changing habits, it just requires a little effort. :)

While I love my black and white pudding, rashers and sausages with beans on a Sunday morning, I more often than not just have eggs and beans on some brown soda bread to sort the hangover, if I have one. Just as nice. I'm a meat man, but too much meat regularly just grinds you down. I get your OP and I get the input from others regarding toning the meat down.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zaph wrote: »
    I'd start eating my own limbs before I'd resort to becoming a veggie.

I'd help you before I started eating real meat...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Why can't we all just agree that everyone is different, eat what you feel like eating and just don't be an absolute pr1ck about what others are having :confused: We farm cattle here yet I eat very little meat, was even out at the weekend at a steakhouse and had a veggie burger!
    The only thing I can't abide is mistreatment of animals, so what meat i do eat tends to come from an organic butcher or direct from source. I've served my time in a meat factory too so I do know which places aren't as fussy about age/breed etc when it comes to beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Putting forward the notion that a vegan would eat any thing from a chipper is a joke. Just did not happen.
    A vegeterian would generally not mind, have the fish.

I haven't read the links put up by Buford but real proof is needed of the environmental effects of diff animals.
    We know beef and grass eating animals are the highest producers.

Quite rarely eat beef, despite having sucklers. Similar to Lady H.
    Actually prefer fish to meat generally.

I think many other changes to lifestyle would have a beneficial effect on environment.
    Whilst a reduction in animal numbers would have an effect on Ireland GHG graph. Not sure of the overall international effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Doesn't have to be all or nothing. Even cutting meat out just once a week is good for the environment and your health. Anyway it's a personal choice. No one should be made feel bad for eating meat or not eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I too have outlandish anecdotes that conveniently portray my ideological opposites in a negative light.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would we start to see sausages start appearing on the black market if we were to ban eating meat similar to crystal meth and ketamine?
    "This sausage taste like chicken"

I'd say you'd get more people being cannibals.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Putting forward the notion that a vegan would eat any thing from a chipper is a joke. Just did not happen.
    A vegeterian would generally not mind, have the fish.

I haven't read the links put up by Buford but real proof is needed of the environmental effects of diff animals.
    We know beef and grass eating animals are the highest producers.

Quite rarely eat beef, despite having sucklers. Similar to Lady H.
    Actually prefer fish to meat generally.

I think many other changes to lifestyle would have a beneficial effect on environment.
    Whilst a reduction in animal numbers would have an effect on Ireland GHG graph. Not sure of the overall international effect.

Unless the vegan wanted attention, since she's a vegan extremist.. it doesn't surprise me, anything for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Turkey sausages and rashers are quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

God if you even needed confirmation that the world is full of weirdos you wouldn't need to look much further than boards.

I have meat with lunch and dinner everyday (and with my breakfast fry every sat and sun) and the devil himself won't change that. So the answer is very much NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I have meat with lunch and dinner everyday (and with my breakfast fry every sat and sun) and the devil himself won't change that. So the answer is very much NO.

I agree with nox, I feel dirty now!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

Not enough people will give up meat or reduce their consumption to have any significant effect on climate change.

Processes being developed to convert methane to methanol are a much more realistic solution. There's been some important developments recently and hopefully that continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Our eyes face forward, as do cats, dogs and other predators. We are supposed to hunt and eat meat.

If our eyes were on the side, like bunny rabbits, then we should eat veg.

Evolution baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Angel Crow

A heart attack in your 40s will though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Angel Crow

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Our eyes face forward, as do cats, dogs and other predators. We are supposed to hunt and eat meat.

If our eyes were on the side, like bunny rabbits, then we should eat veg.

Evolution baby!

What about eagles? Side eyes and predators = flawed logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I often think the same as you OP. I don't think stopping altogether is required, but eating meat less often, definitely yes.

I've glimpsed at articles about the production and shipping of pulses, and whatever alternate protein rich foods are needed to replace meat, and it seems a complete stop wouldn't help the planet dramatically. From quick glimpses only . Look at the fuss about avocados at the moment.

Every week I think I'll cook less meat for my family, but it falls by the wayside when they all expect it nearly daily.

I can and will work on it though, I think nutritionally and ecologically it makes sense to have it less often.

Advertisement