Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to stop eating meat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

There is no better feeling than waking up with a hangover on a Sunday morning

I think there is

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I don't know if you're joking or if you just don't get what the problem is..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

No meat, no fish? What's left?

So if you half your consumption, you end up eating none at all?

That's not how math works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

First off I will admit that I absolutely love and adore the taste of meat.
    There is no better feeling than waking up with a hangover on a Sunday morning and being treated to a plate packed with sausages and bacon by your significant other. :)

However, having so many farmed animals on the planet is a major factor in terms of climate change. People feel so passionately about protecting the planet and there is directive of being green in terms of many aspects of industry. This is people driven. I'm just wondering if we a species will eventually come to the conclusion that in order to survive we will need to all change our diets?

I'm intrigued to find out how other people feel about it. I personally feel like I am addicted to meat and cannot imagine myself being able to quit. Would we start to see sausages start appearing on the black market if we were to ban eating meat similar to crystal meth and ketamine?
    An alternative view on the animal debate.

http://www.afia.org/rc_files/801/livestocks_contribution_to_climate_change_facts_and_fiction.pdf

The graphic showing the source of greenhouse gasses is interesting, to say the least.

And another view on the whole direction that some would wish food production to go...

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438548/michael-pollans-omnivores-dilemma-tenth-anniversary-edition-marks-decade-anti-science?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=579f5d9d04d30137b15b30bf&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

You can't win. You farm cattle until they're ready for the factory and you get sh*t about methane causing global warming but if you eradicate the methane production by producing veal, you're a monster

Veal calves appear out of thin air? Who knew! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

You might as well just go and empty your rubbish all over the countryside then, who cares right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. It's about time we stopped animals for it though when we can grow it in labs.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Good man. That's exactly what I like to hear. I'm not a veggie, but I rarely eat beef or lamb or pork (no pun intended) and I'm trying to cut down on the rest.
    Apparently factory chicken is the greenest meat you can eat.
    I have completely cut down on meat, some days I eat none, I do not eat pork or Lamb, mutton,
    When I have a burger, it is home made, half is meat, the rest is porridge, chia seeds and quinoa, I dont even notice the difference, and I do not tell those I live with what is in their burger, they know it has mixed herbs, onions, but they do not notice the difference, and do not know they are having a healthier meal, I also do it with spag bolognaise, and shephards pie, no one notices

• Advertisement

There is no better feeling than waking up with a hangover on a Sunday morning and being treated to a plate packed with sausages and bacon by your significant other. :)

However, having so many farmed animals on the planet is a major factor in terms of climate change. People feel so passionately about protecting the planet and there is directive of being green in terms of many aspects of industry. This is people driven. I'm just wondering if we a species will eventually come to the conclusion that in order to survive we will need to all change our diets?

I'm intrigued to find out how other people feel about it. I personally feel like I am addicted to meat and cannot imagine myself being able to quit. Would we start to see sausages start appearing on the black market if we were to ban eating meat similar to crystal meth and ketamine?

There was a programme on tv some time ago, it show how sausages are made and the ingredients, it was frightning, so unhealthy, not good,
    Yet we all love them, why they cannot be made with half pork and rest of the ingredients of healthy origin baffles me,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Can't be any more difficult in giving up smoking, I'll try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

No, I wont be changing my habits, thanks.

Yeah he's being really forceful isn't he, Jesus!

I am not shoving it on anyone, each to our own, but for me personally, i find it hard to eat a lot of meat, did one time, but as I get older my stomach finds it harder to tolerate it, red meat and cheese take longer to break down than any other foods I consume, My own health only,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Good to Mary Robinson is using her Boards account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I have family that are "extremist vegans" and it's fcuking embarrassing tbh. We went out for pints before Christmas and at the end of the night , we all decided to go for chipper across the road. I ordered my food, so did the wife, the niece proceeded to ask for garlic mushrooms, which is fine she doesn't eat meat. What happened was embarrassing.

"can you change the oil?, I know you've cooked southern fried chicken and fish in that, CHANGE THE OIL NOW OR I WILL NOT BE BUYING YOUR SHÍTE, YOU MAKE ME SICK........ BUTCHERS THE LOT OF YOU, EVERYONE IN HERE.....! WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE EATEN?..............HUH.......HUHHHHHHHHHH?

I fcuked off and left her there, Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There are three choices:

1. Keep things the way they are.
    2. Reduce meat consumption and then exterminate the excess animals.
    3. Commit mass genocide so there is less people to eat meat.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have family that are "extremist vegans" and it's fcuking embarrassing tbh. We went out for pints before Christmas and at the end of the night , we all decided to go for chipper across the road. I ordered my food, so did the wife, the niece proceeded to ask for garlic mushrooms, which is fine she doesn't eat meat. What happened was embarrassing.

"can you change the oil?, I know you've cooked southern fried chicken and fish in that, CHANGE THE OIL NOW OR I WILL NOT BE BUYING YOUR SHÍTE, YOU MAKE ME SICK........ BUTCHERS THE LOT OF YOU, EVERYONE IN HERE>>>>> WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE EATEN?..............HUH.......HUHHHHHHHHHH?

Surprised they had the strength to hold a pint with that oddball diet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Try it for a week and see how you get on, I was in the same boat as you, myself and family for the month of Jan. haven't looked back, my wife found the lack of Sunday roast hard but that's about it, had a work night out in Box Burger in Bray had their avocado burger dish very good, challenge yourself to a week and see what you think.

there is, but if you read the back of the packs there is a big percent that is not pork, i wish there could be the option of this other meat for those who want it, as i say, i make my own burgers to suit my taste, but dont eat sausages for the same reason I dont eat frozen burgers, some of the ingredients i have never heard of before all preservatives

they are hardy bucks, eat anything,

Surprised they had the strength to hold a pint with that oddball diet

This particular person is magnolia in colour and is like a skeleton, obviously the lack of proper nourishment is affecting the brain cells. Seriously, she's always sick too, you cant live off grass.

I píssed her off one day, she said she only eats vegetables, and I said "how do you think they grow?" which she replied "the sun and water", I replied that they are sprayed with pig shíte..............she vomited for 30 mins, now it's cardboard and toilet roll for dessert.

Numpty.

"can you change the oil?, I know you've cooked southern fried chicken and fish in that, CHANGE THE OIL NOW OR I WILL NOT BE BUYING YOUR SHÍTE, YOU MAKE ME SICK........ BUTCHERS THE LOT OF YOU, EVERYONE IN HERE.....! WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE EATEN?..............HUH.......HUHHHHHHHHHH?

So what's your point? That your niece is a total idiot?

I píssed her off one day, she said she only eats vegetables, and I said "how do you think they grow?" which she replied "the sun and water", I replied that they are sprayed with pig shíte..............she vomited for 30 mins, now it's cardboard and toilet roll for dessert.

Numpty.

Yeah that definitely happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Ah here. I'm considering veganism myself, but I would never be as obnoxious as that about it. Actually, I would probably be a terrible vegan - I really think I wouldn't be too bothered about that sort of cross-contamination: in that scenario, I've already spoken with my money anyway, and purchased a non-meat option. If you're a vegan and eating in places like that, the chance of cross-contamination is very real. Either accept it and eat the feckin' chips, or bring a snack in your bag that you can have at the end of the night when everyone else is queueing up in the chipper.

• Advertisement

So what's your point? That your niece is a total idiot?

Numpties on their extremist vegan diet preaching to the world is my point. I don't care, I eat what I want, don't force your views on everyone else.

Advertisement