Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 HelloHello1234

brian2614 wrote: »
    I am "volunteering" for it currently and I have dished the stick to his face many a time and his father. The difference is I have played both games to a decent level and know the rules of the each.He hasn't and doesn't..

His fitness is an absolute joke to.

Waterford GAA is in the state its in because of to many soft people wont say it as it is for fear of hurting the gravy train or god for bid a adults feelings when he/she is clearly s**t at what they are doing.

Certainly dont think hes the Worst for it. Had a Good game recently in the abbeyside dungarvan game. Regarding the criticism referees get I think alot of them get criticised based on the bad ones and to few of them get praise when they have a good game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bit of a let down but be nice to have Dan's passion back on the sideline

Shane Briggs the former footballer what is his role ??

Is that Denis Walsh who was Cork manager a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

PTH2009 wrote: »

Shane Briggs is a PE teacher in Kilmac and would have worked with Queally with Abbeyside/Ballinacourty doing some of the coaching, must have made an impression on Queally during his time with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

How can they be a let down before they've even started?

How can they be a let down before they've even started?

so many possible names outside of the county

So did the Commitee go outside the county or did they just go with what the clubs suggested ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

So did the Commitee go outside the county or did they just go with what the clubs suggested ??

What would you include in your selection criteria for a suitable candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

As far as I’m aware it was only with who was nominated by the clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Deisefacts wrote: »
    Is the county board meeting next week?

There’s a meeting being called for next week to ratify peter Queally as manager. Dan, Darragh Duggan, Shane Briggs and Denis Walsh will form the nucleus of the backroom team. Not very appealing but we reap what we sow. Looking at the last 2 under 20/21 teams and I think there’s not a lot to come off it. Michael Kiely abbeyside only player from last years minor team and not too sure what could come from this years minor team as Darragh Duggan’s tactics, and behavior, destroyed what potential could’ve been a good minor team.

Not very inspiring. More years of playing negatively with a lack of forwards up
    front.
    More of the sweeper.

Sean power should have been given the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

Not very inspiring. More years of playing negatively with a lack of forwards up
    front.
    More of the sweeper.

Sean power should have been given the job.

Probably wouldn’t have been the worst thing to have happened at this stage. Also our sweeper, Tadhg, will more then likely miss next year. It takes a year or 2 to get a fella playing sweeper the way a manger wants them to. So who goes sweeper then? Darragh Duggan’s preferred system is with 2 sweepers( try not to loose the game rather then trying to win it system), that means far less forwards. Jesus the more I think about it the bleaker the future looks for us. The lads over the primary schools are fighting with the lads on the coaching and games( 2 fellas in particular) over the best way forward for schools. We are in a mess at underage and are really lacking leaders

hardybuck wrote: »
    What would you include in your selection criteria for a suitable candidate?

experience with winning teams as manager or part of the management team

People that will get the best out of the players and know what there doing

Players should be consulted

• Advertisement

experience with winning teams as manager or part of the management team

People that will get the best out of the players and know what there doing

Players should be consulted

And should that be at a particular level? Would intercounty experience be a bonus?

Should the players have a veto or should they be allowed to nominate a candidate?

Should their location be a factor - both in terms of practicality and cost?

Do we need our manager to be a multitasker and manage as well as coach, or do we need someone who can manage a group of coaches and lead the general direction the team like a Managing Director type role?

Does Waterford GAA have a brand or style of play they want their teams to employ - and should a potential manager share these philosophies?

This requires a bit more thought than assuming that a 'name' from another county must be good, and potentially better than what's available locally.

Go on name them there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

thesultan wrote: »
    You've never seen Kissane so?

I have and just don't get the problem people have. He takes no sh1t from anyone players or mentors which is always uncomfortable for people who think that refs should wait to be told what decision to make.
    He fires abuse at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

thesultan wrote: »
    You've never seen Kissane so?

I have and just don't get the problem people have. He takes no sh1t from anyone players or mentors which is always uncomfortable for people who think that refs should wait to be told what decision to make.
    He fires abuse at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Deisefacts wrote: »
    There’s a meeting being called for next week to ratify peter Queally as manager. Dan, Darragh Duggan, Shane Briggs and Denis Walsh will form the nucleus of the backroom team.

Jaysus, If this is true I don’t know why they’re suddenly going back to Queally now after deeming him down the pecking order the last few appointments, not like he’s been winning all around him at club level since. also how many on the appointment committee or what was the process? Was Dan himself not on it? It looks like they just went through all the numbers in their phones and see who was available or not and then throw Dan in for good measure

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Jaysus, If this is true I don’t know why they’re suddenly going back to Queally now after deeming him down the pecking order the last few appointments, not like he’s been winning all around him at club level since. also how many on the appointment committee or what was the process? Was Dan himself not on it? It looks like they just went through all the numbers in their phones and see who was available or not and then throw Dan in for good measure

In the last few days I've heard from one very credible source and another unconnected person that a man from outside the county is 'favourite' for the job. I'm surprised by who it is tbh but hope it's true as he would be a really good manager and in my opinion just what we need right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

Anyone in Fraher Field tonight witnessed a calamity of a refereeing performance, ironic that lads were on about refs this week on this

Probably be wise not to ridicule the selection process, if you don't even know who the committee comprised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Probably be wise not to ridicule the selection process, if you don't even know who the committee comprised

Can anyone see queally and his backroom team getting the lads back on track and being competitive and challenging for titles again....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

The negativity towards an unappointed manager has already shown how this thread will read for months, in advance.

Usual suspects too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

carter10 wrote: »
    In the last few days I've heard from one very credible source and another unconnected person that a man from outside the county is 'favourite' for the job. I'm surprised by who it is tbh but hope it's true as he would be a really good manager and in my opinion just what we need right now.

Anonymous person says that anonymous person and another anonymous person have news about anonymous person.

Don't know about everyone else, but I'm convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Whoever the new manager is, he'll be knocked and criticised before a sliotar is pucked. And if he is a Waterford man, then even more so.
    Give the moaning a break lads. These people are prepared to put their hands up for Waterford hurling.
    And the people who think there's loads of money in Waterford gaa, they mustn't have gone to many club games over the years.

Mulbert wrote: »
    The negativity towards an unappointed manager has already shown how this thread will read for months, in advance.

Usual suspects too.

Your dead right. We should embrace all managers who play the sweeper system cause this system has won numerous all Ireland's. When we see forwards playing as extra midfielders just shut up because that's the modern game, sure having more than one in the full forward line is crazy.
    All some posters want is to see Waterford go for to toe with other teams. If we are not good enough fair enough, but many of us believe we are good enough. We want a manager who can instill that confidence in his players. We haven't had that in a long time.
    Instead we are going for more of the same by the looks of it and for many that is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Your dead right. We should embrace all managers who play the sweeper system cause this system has won numerous all Ireland's. When we see forwards playing as extra midfielders just shut up because that's the modern game, sure having more than one in the full forward line is crazy.
    All some posters want is to see Waterford go for to toe with other teams. If we are not good enough fair enough, but many of us believe we are good enough. We want a manager who can instill that confidence in his players. We haven't had that in a long time.
    Instead we are going for more of the same by the looks of it and for many that is depressing.

I’m sorry now but this going toe to toe, 15 on 15 ****e that regularly gets thrown around here and on other platforms does not really exist.
    Look at Limerick as an example. Their half forwards are regularly in their own midfield and half backs area. If you have your two wing backs following them up the field you have left a tonne of space which the other forwards will naturally exploit.
    We tried to play man on man to an extent this year and it didn’t work, there is very few games where teams line up 15 on 15 for the duration any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

Anyone in Fraher Field tonight witnessed a calamity of a refereeing performance, ironic that lads were on about refs this week on this

For which decisions? 2 red cards were deserved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Missing my point, of course its responsibility on the referee to implement the rules. I'm not talking about the clubs implementing the rules, I'm talking about the spirit of the game.

It just seems now that Clashmore are taking the moral highground and playing the victim with their public statement etc, they were happy to sit back and say nothing and allow rules to be broken when it worked to their advantage (the player in question one of the best young footballers in the county) but when its now turned around on them and the individual player punished they're crying outrage. I'm just saying the clubs are not coming out of this with the huge halo's on their heads like they're portraying. the only unjustified victims in all this is the players themselves.

I see the Clashmore player got his ban overturned and is playing tonight.

A bit of sense applied for once, especially if the referee admitted he made a mistake.

DiscoStew wrote: »

I’m sorry now but this going toe to toe, 15 on 15 ****e that regularly gets thrown around here and on other platforms does not really exist.
    Look at Limerick as an example. Their half forwards are regularly in their own midfield and half backs area. If you have your two wing backs following them up the field you have left a tonne of space which the other forwards will naturally exploit.
    We tried to play man on man to an extent this year and it didn’t work, there is very few games where teams line up 15 on 15 for the duration any more.

We didn't try to play man on man this year at all. Look back at the video of the limerick game in Walsh park. Maurice the only forward inside the 45 at times despite playing with a gale.

We didn't try to play man on man this year at all. Look back at the video of the limerick game in Walsh park. Maurice the only forward inside the 45 at times despite playing with a gale.

And against Clare? Tipp? Were we not man on man? Yes we were.
    Cork also but I place less emphasis on that given our season was already over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Deskjockey wrote: »
    I see the Clashmore player got his ban overturned and is playing tonight.

A bit of sense applied for once, especially if the referee admitted he made a mistake.

Don’t be poisoning this page with your positive good news stories

And against Clare? Tipp? Were we not man on man? Yes we were.
    Cork also but I place less emphasis on that given our season was already over.

Against Clare no. Peter Hogan named corner forward spent the whole first half out in midfield. Was behind the town goal for that game and it was depressing to look out at times and see Stephen Bennett in at full forward, Shane out in the half forward line and the rest of the forwards out in midfield. In the 2nd half Maurice and Pat Curran came on and we went more direct and improved.

Tipp match yes but I think that was also our best performance especially considering being a man short for most of it.

• Advertisement

Stradbally win over Clashmore AET 3-15- 2-12 in tonight's Senior Football QF

Last night Ballinacourty beat Killrossanty AET 4-6- 3-5

Final 2 quarters are tomorrow Rathgormack vs Gualtier and Nire vs An Rinn

Semi finals next weekend I imagine but could be wrong

Against Clare no. Peter Hogan named corner forward spent the whole first half out in midfield. Was behind the town goal for that game and it was depressing to look out at times and see Stephen Bennett in at full forward, Shane out in the half forward line and the rest of the forwards out in midfield. In the 2nd half Maurice and Pat Curran came on and we went more direct and improved.

Tipp match yes but I think that was also our best performance especially considering being a man short for most of it.

We actually played better I thought when we went down to 14 up until Tipps goal. But just a point on that, by default we wouldn't have had 6 forwards in that scenario. I don't think it's an endorsement of any style of play but I think what happened was Tipp stepped off the gas and our players worked really hard for those 25 odd minutes.

Stradbally win over Clashmore AET 3-15- 2-12 in tonight's Senior Football QF

Last night Ballinacourty beat Killrossanty AET 4-6- 3-5

Final 2 quarters are tomorrow Rathgormack vs Gualtier and Nire vs An Rinn

Semi finals next weekend I imagine but could be wrong

Mid October I would say, no game in Munster until the second weekend of November.

I donno what you saw but Shane Bennett was in the full forward line against Clare, with Stephen. There was a good few low ball went in his way in the first and McInerney was coming out on top in their dual. It may not been a conventional 15 on 15 as you’d line them out at throw in, but it was man on man.

I donno what you saw but Shane Bennett was in the full forward line against Clare, with Stephen. There was a good few low ball went in his way in the first and McInerney was coming out on top in their dual. It may not been a conventional 15 on 15 as you’d line them out at throw in, but it was man on man.

You are right their and beaten for every ball, despite great quality low ball coming into the corner, which was right in front of me.
    Then, knowing he is losing the battle, he started drifting out the pitch and Stephen was left on his own inside.

Another Football QF went to extra time with the Nire beating An Rinn 1-15-2-11

Rathgormack 2-12- Gualtier 1-13 in the other QF

Semi final draw is
    Stradbally vs Rathgormack
    The Nire vs Ballinacourty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Another Football QF went to extra time with the Nire beating An Rinn 1-15-2-11

Rathgormack 2-12- Gualtier 1-13 in the other QF

Semi final draw is
    Stradbally vs Rathgormack
    The Nire vs Ballinacourty

It's one predictable championship, since 1998, when St Saviours won, all 20 championships have been won by this year's last 4.

At that Rathgormack won their last one in 1999.

3 winners in 19 years.

Even as a Nire man, the two ET games going the other way wouldn't have been a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

It's one predictable championship, since 1998, when St Saviours won, all 20 championships have been won by this year's last 4.

3 winners in 19 years.

Even as a Nire man, the two ET games going the other way wouldn't have been a bad thing

If you go back as far as 1993, as you said, other than Saviours in 1998, Stradbally, The Nire, Rathgormack and Ballinacourty have shared the titles between them.

At least all 4 games at the weekend were very competitive and by all accounts, both Stradbally and the Nire were blessed to come through but they have made a habit of victories like these over the years.

Both semi-finals are very difficult to call, Rathgormack seem to be an up and coming team while Ballinacourty will be concentrating only on the big ball over the next few weeks so will no doubt improve so I would give both a huge shout in their semi-finals.

3 winners in 19 years.

Only five different clubs have won the senior hurling title in the last 25 years. Ballygunner and Mount Sion won 20 of those 25 titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Only five different clubs have won the senior hurling title in the last 25 years. Ballygunner and Mount Sion won 20 of those 25 titles.

Ballyduff, Passage and DLS?

• Advertisement

Ballyduff, Passage and DLS?

Yep. DLS won three and the others won one each.

And even at that it's 2006 since My Sion last won it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

And even at that it's 2006 since My Sion last won it I think

And it's the first time since 2006 that Rathgormack have reached the semi's stage of the football championship.

any more news on the management ??

And it's the first time since 2006 that Rathgormack have reached the semi's stage of the football championship.

2005 I think, just in case My Sion heads are getting too excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

any more news on the management ??

Anthony Cunningham Ex Galway and current Roscommon football manager was mentioned to me at the weekend....?

But looking more likely peter quelly will be the man

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Anthony Cunningham Ex Galway and current Roscommon football manager was mentioned to me at the weekend....?

But looking more likely peter quelly will be the man

travel would be an issue there for someone like Anthony Cunningham. Didnt he leave Dublin after only a year and then took over Roscommon who done very well this season and unlikely he would walk this soon ???

Hardly getting mixed up with Ger Cunningham former Cork player and Dublin manager

Any news on this special county board meeting to ratify the new management team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 Deiseland

I’m hearing that Cahill the Tipp u20 manager has been interviewed this week for deise job.

• Advertisement

Sounds like it'll be another while before any announcement either way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement