Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Future of Longwave 252kHz (RTE Radio 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Football Tanker

Logue no2 wrote: »
    Following on from your "commercially justifiable" demand, perhaps you could ask RTÉ how much it costs them to transmit the several hidden testcard channels on Saorview. The current Saorview service could be easily transmitted on one Multiplex rather than two, saving far more than the cost of LW or those taxis. Furthermore how much does the RTÉ DAB service cost to transmit to one portion of the country and how many listeners does it have? Far less than LW and a far smaller impact I'll guess.

Joe Duffy says nobody listens to dab and that it has no future in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

Radio Maria should take over 252 from RTE, that way the elderly people who listen will still have their daily fix of the Angelus without having to touch that dial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,174 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jay Zee wrote: »
    Radio Maria should take over 252 from RTE, that way the elderly people who listen will still have their daily fix of the Angelus without having to touch that dial.

i'm sure if they felt it was viable they probably would have expressed an interest in doing it by now? i suspect once it shuts that's it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Radio Maria recently became the first non-rte radio station to join saorview so you'd never know.

Jay Zee wrote: »
    Radio Maria recently became the first non-rte radio station to join saorview so you'd never know.

i'd imagine saorview is a lot more cost effective to broadcast on then lw though. even if they were to take over 252 they would need to move to another frequency anyway because of algeria's transmitter.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

RTE spend more on wages for RTE Gold than the esb bill for lw 252

• Registered Users Posts: 38 225LongWave

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RtzyhmvHR-Y

Similarly, Click computer centre in Athlone is hardly the first
    choice of shop to be looking for a radio with medium wave ?

One thing that annoyed me recently was Jim Jennings, head of RTE Radio used an example of the currys pc world website not having any longwave radios as a reason to close 252:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Jonathan1990

There's even a program I listen to over on Chaine 3 that plays this mix of dance music from 1970s disco to Present called Sound System. RTÉ Radio 1 needs to let Algeria have the 252khz LW frequency now. Bet most people in Ireland use FM and DAB anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Infoanon wrote: »
    How many split programmes are carried on the LW service now a days ?

The Religious programs on a Sunday come to mind - there could be considerable fall out if the 252 service ends amongst listeners in that regard.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but BBC Radio 4 splits on a regular basis, BBC 4 (LW) goes its own way every other day for several programs, while normal Radio 4 carries on with its schedule. I listen to both as internet stations.....

I haven't listened to real LW for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Could the mast be used by wireless broadband providers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could the mast be used by wireless broadband providers?

It'd be of extremely limited use if any; and certainly not commercially viable.

Its not a high site - that's now how LW works. It is not of a type of tower designed to take significant amounts of dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Interestingly, did you know that Radio Controlled clocks, (so called Atomic clocks) are regulated by a LW radio signal coming out of either Anthorne in Cumbria/England, or the equivalent LW signal from Germany.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but BBC Radio 4 splits on a regular basis, BBC 4 (LW) goes its own way every other day for several programs, while normal Radio 4 carries on with its schedule. I listen to both as internet stations.....

I haven't listened to real LW for years.

RTÉ Radio 1 would also have similar arrangements in place for things like religious programming output at 11:00am every Sunday morning on RTÉ Radio 1 LW252 (while The Marian Finucane Show goes out on FM only) and sometimes would do for things like certain sports coverage such as major horse-racing festivals. RTÉ Radio 1 would split schedules between it's FM and LW252. The Longwave 252kHz schedule would usually be the same as it's digital sister station: RTÉ Radio 1 Extra on DAB/Saorview Channel# 201. In previous years, RTÉ Radio 1 would have had similar splits between FM/AM with it's former Medium Wave (MW) frequencies until RTÉ Radio 1 closed it's MW transmitters.

In Cork up to the year 2000, an opt-out service used also happen with RTÉ Radio Cork (also known as: 89FM or RTÉ Cork Local Radio) whereby; listeners to RTÉ Radio 1 in the Cork region were able to hear local programming at certain times of day via the main RTÉ Radio 1 frequency.

Also the former RTÉ FM3 classical music service (a pre-cursor to RTÉ lyric fm) used share bandwidth with RTÉ Radio na Gaeltachta (RnaG). This changed after RTÉ lyric fm was granted it's own dedicated frequency when it launched after the FM3 service was replaced. RnaG was then able to extend it's broadcasting schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,929 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Interestingly, did you know that Radio Controlled clocks, (so called Atomic clocks) are regulated by a LW radio signal coming out of either Anthorne in Cumbria/England, or the equivalent LW signal from Germany.......

Yes, and the radio clocks sold here in Lidl and Aldi are tuned to (as far as I recall) Mainflingen (Frankfurt) in Germany, which is a bit of a stretch by the time the signal reaches here. It's do-able, but the clocks I own have to be sat in the back windowsill for a day until they re-set.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=german+time+signals
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Citizen sell a gadget which helps with reception of the signal. But placing a radio controlled watch or clock beside a radio receiver with a built in ferrite rod antenna will perform the same function.

https://www.relojesmania.com/en/citizen-promaster-watches/antena-citizen-rcwsu-3

Radio controlled Citizen watches look for a signal from Germany daily at 2 am, and if that fails, again at 3 am and 4 am. Mine very rarely fails, if I leave it in an east facing window. A button press on the watch will also make it look for a signal at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

In the early to mid 90s, as a child, the car only had a long wave and medium wave radio. The only Medium Wave signal that was decent was RTE Radio One, if I recall, as all the services had since moved to FM so the only listening option actually was Atlantic 252.

The feedback sometimes around our parts was that the American thing was a bit stupid or whatever. Also entire disbelief that the station was actually from Ireland.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    In the early to mid 90s, as a child, the car only had a long wave and medium wave radio. The only Medium Wave signal that was decent was RTE Radio One, if I recall, as all the services had since moved to FM so the only listening option actually was Atlantic 252.

The feedback sometimes around our parts was that the American thing was a bit stupid or whatever. Also entire disbelief that the station was actually from Ireland.

Yeah Atlantic 252 was primarily aimed at listeners based around the UK from what I recall but was broadcast from Co. Meath in the Republic of Ireland. It started broadcasting just before CENTURY Radio (Ireland's first national commercial independent radio station) around August/September 1989. It was part owned by RTÉ and when Atlantic 252 closed down, RTÉ used the LW252 kHz frequency to bring RTÉ Radio 1 to audiences (such as listeners in the UK) that had previously relied on RTÉ Radio 1 Medium Wave frequencies which were closed down.

Atlantic 252 which had used 252kHz on LW Band as a radio station must have found it increasingly difficult to attract listeners as the sound output was well below par for a station whose main ingredient was to play non-stop music. In those days music needed to be broadcast in FM Stereo via the FM Band to compete with the likes of BBC Radio One FM, BBC Radio 2 FM, RTÉ Radio 2FM etc;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Atlantic 252 worked until the UK market was pretty much deregulated and suddenly there were music stations popping up everywhere

Atlantic 252 worked until the UK market was pretty much deregulated and suddenly there were music stations popping up everywhere

Atlantic 252 was dynamic in it's style and presenter line-up and used have some catchy presenter names like Dusty Rhodes, Sandy Beech, Robin Banks and many more.

Sources:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_252

https://radiotoday.ie/2014/09/remembering-atlantic-252-25-years-on/

https://tunein.com/radio/Atlantic-252-Tribute-s134499/

At least one of them is now in jail for kiddie fiddling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Lest we forget the short stint of TeamTalk 252, after Atlantic closed. :)

byte wrote: »
    Lest we forget the short stint of TeamTalk 252, after Atlantic closed. :)

I have only a very vague memory of this station name - I gather it was a short-lived sports related radio station. I thought Teamtalk went out on Medium Wave or maybe I'm mixing it up with something like TalkSport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Talksport was and is the MW sports station. TeamTalk attempted to compete with it but barely got off the ground and basically took the parent firm down with it - although premium rate club info lines were already under threat due to the first mobile internet services already being cheaper

L1011 wrote: »
    Talksport was and is the MW sports station. TeamTalk attempted to compete with it but barely got off the ground and basically took the parent firm down with it - although premium rate club info lines were already under threat due to the first mobile internet services already being cheaper

It's ironic in one sense that TeamTalk failed given that speech driven content would have performed better on Longwave unlike music when Atlantic 252 had been on the air. BBC Radio 4 LW 198kHz still put their Test Match Special cricket coverage on Longwave even though it will usually be broadcast on either BBC Radio 5Live or 5Live Sports Extra as well.

I suppose it was too late in the day to start trying to build a new sports station like TeamTalk 252 on Longwave from scratch when things were changing with mobile internet services like you said. BBC Radio 4 LW will closedown in time once the audience levels go below a certain level given the duplication of services elsewhere and RTÉ Radio 1 LW 252 closing down is also only just a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I remember TeamTalk 252, it was like a Beckett play with the presenters pleading for callers who never rang in.

Here is the final 40 seconds of it, five months after it started

https://audioboom.com/posts/2359901-teamtalk-252-closedown

I listened to the 2002 world cup being described off tube from a cupboard by TeamTalk 252 (I was stuck in a van)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jonny Owens

Interesting anorak news, Radio Maria are bidding for the national AM Christian licence that Spirit radio currently have and they are proposing using the 252 transmitter with 150kw of power retuned to a MW frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Interesting anorak news, Radio Maria are bidding for the national AM Christian licence that Spirit radio currently have and they are proposing using the 252 transmitter with 150kw of power retuned to a MW frequently.
    Only Spirit have applied for the "Christian licence" so the story about Radio Maria and 252 is all hot air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 A Teddy bear

LW 252 will be closing down on October 14 until December 20 for major structural work on the mast. It will be nice for the listeners that it will be back just in time for Christmas.

• Advertisement

https://hildegarde.ie/longwave-radio-to-continue-for-the-benefit-of-diaspora-naughton/

10 week closure for component from Canada due mid-September.

5 years since RTE first announcement of permanent closure on 27th October 2014
    Deferred until 19 January 2015, 29th May 2017 & 30th June 2019

TEAMtalk252 terminated 27th July 2002 after 5 months !
    RTL bought back their 80% share £2,000,000 & RTE bought 252LW from
    RTL/CLT for approx €1,536,000* already owning 20% of RADIO TARA LTD.

RTE only returned on 10th March 2004 as "CHARITY 252" with Amanda Brunker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,303 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Heads up...

Due to essential maintenance on the transmitter, RTE Radio 1 will be unavailable on LW252 from 10am next Tuesday (10th.), till 5pm on Thursday 17th. October.

Saw that, a very long time out for a new glorified valve

original Varian valve transmitter was scrapped in July 2007
    Are you thinking of the BBC radio4 1930s 3ft 'glass valve' ?
    RTE 252 are installing new component from Canada, NAUTEL
    recently updated their website newsletter to reveal a mystery ?

30 years after launch of Atlantic252 @ 500,000watts
    I understand RTE have disposed of their Nemesis by
    selling back to RTL, former 80% owner of Radio Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

RTE ceased broadcasting on longwave at 9am this morning and nobody has died as a result #justsayinglike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Doblin wrote: »
    RTE ceased broadcasting on longwave at 9am this morning and nobody has died as a result #justsayinglike

Glad someone posted this as it saved me looking for this old thread, however does seem strange that someone with just 4 posts went looking for it to revive it :pac:

No it is a pain won't be listening to as much RTE instead will stick to BBC Radio 4 on Long Wave until I have BBC Radio 4 FM sorted out via satellite.

Previously if BBC Radio 4 had stuff we didn't want to listen to like England loosing the cricket we'd return to RTE, now we won't be listening to RTE at all.

• Advertisement

down for maintenance and was well advertised in advance.

The way people were going on, you'd swear every Irish pensioner in Britain would have died of loneliness by 10am as a result of going a morning without Tubridy on longwave 😆😆😆😆

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

my3cents wrote: »
    Previously if BBC Radio 4 had stuff we didn't want to listen to like England LOSING the cricket we'd return to RTE, now we won't be listening to RTE at all.

If you've got internet access, surely you don't need to be depending on LW to listen to RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you've got internet access, surely you don't need to be depending on LW to listen to RTE?

Convenience, all you need to listen to Radio 4 and RTE on long wave is a simple radio. Don't need to pay for the internet to listen to free radio or have a smart phone or a computer. Do have poor quality 4G nearby but none at the house and no broadband in the area. Now I do have a mobile phone and several computers but I don't need to run a 100W plus computer to listen to a LW radio transmission when I can listen to it on a radio consuming a couple of watts of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

A common complaint.

• Advertisement

It's still not convincing me that they should keep the transmitter going. You'll always disaffect some people, no matter what happens.

It's still not convincing me that they should keep the transmitter going. You'll always disaffect some people, no matter what happens.

5 years ago when RTE wanted to close longwave, every village idiot politician came out calling it an attack on the elderly and RTE quickly backed down. It's going to be very challenging for RTE to implement any cuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

my3cents wrote: »
    The UK! I listen to BBC Radio 4 on LW in Ireland most of the time.

Me2

If they close anything, be it RNaG, Lyric FM, 2FM, even News Now, there will be unhappy inconvenienced people.

I wonder will RTE announce as part of their cutbacks next month that LW isn't coming back because nobody noticed it was off?

I wonder will RTE announce as part of their cutbacks next month that LW isn't coming back because nobody noticed it was off?

no as it's listeners were aware that it was being shut down for maintenence. it was well warned in advance that it would be happening.
    so that explains listeners not complaining and thus, apparently not noticing, which obviously they would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

How are the vulnerable getting on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,929 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Feeling it, probably.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

They have gone without RTE on longwave for almost 2 weeks now

RTE announced plans to close the longwave service in 2012 but were forced to back down after an number of TDs called it an attack on the elderly, they are now spending 1.8 million on refurbishment of the mast to stop it from tipping over with rust http://www.hildegarde.ie/works-to-maintain-longwave-radio-service-to-begin-tomorrow-naughton/

• Advertisement
Advertisement