Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Future of Longwave 252kHz (RTE Radio 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How many other countries, via the tax payer, fund a radio service for those that left the country?

Why is anything critical of such things always classed, lazily, as begrudgery?

The UK! I listen to BBC Radio 4 on LW in Ireland most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Isn't that spill over though rather than purposely directed at the whole of the country? Isn't the World Service separate to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

my3cents wrote: »
    The UK! I listen to BBC Radio 4 on LW in Ireland most of the time.

The BBC world service is popular with expats around the world and many other countries still operate similar services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

RTE are SILL planning to cut off the elderly, the lonely, the sick and the isolated, a disgusting attack on our diaspora and on rural Ireland. WE MOST STOP THIS. We are planning a protest outside RTE Donnybrook on Monday October 31st at 2.52pm
    Please follow us on twitter or Facebook to help #savertelw252

I won't wish you good luck on this.

As a member of the fabled dispora I'll tell you plain and simple that I'd rather the taxes paid by those still living in Ireland were not wasted providing 300,000 watts of transmission output on an utterly outdated and underused radio broadcast.

Pull the plug and good riddance.

You'll be lamenting the demise of rabbit eared black and white Pye televisions next, or the termination of analogue TV broadcasts. A 3/4G dongle plugged in somewhere with a fiver a month prepaid service needs no complicated setup or maintenance and a basic internet radio will not be beyond the abilities of any OAP to operate and give them whatever they need.

I'll have to organise a group myself: #feckrte252

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How many other countries, via the tax payer, fund a radio service for those that left the country?

Why is anything critical of such things always classed, lazily, as begrudgery?

Because it is. And do Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Stasi 2.0 wrote:
    The BBC world service is popular with expats around the world and many other countries still operate similar services.

BBC World Service is not broadcast on Long Wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Because it is.

Begrudgery, the most misunderstood word in Irish history.

First Up wrote: »
    BBC World Service is not broadcast on Long Wave.

You obviously don't listen on the Radio 4 LW frequency in the small hours on the morning :)

I find it pretty amazing that we get poor FM reception where we live yet both the BBC and RTE on LW come in loud and clear. Tuning into a LW station is also much easier. FM stations are there and gone as you tune but LW stations tune in over a much larger area making them much easier to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

my3cents wrote:
    You obviously don't listen on the Radio 4 LW frequency in the small hours on the morning

Radio 4 and World Service are different stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yes but Radio 4 carries World Service content overnight. In my view cutting off Ryan Tubridy, Ray D'Arcy and Joe Duffy from the rest of Europe is doing the diaspora a favour.

• Advertisement

Radio 4 does not transmit for 24 hours a day when it closes down at night they then broadcast the World Service on the same frequency.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm sure there'll be thousands of people willing to go to a protest during the working day, on Halloween... based on the bus strike pattern there'll probably be one then also.

I'm pretty sure "the lonely, the sick and the isolated" as well as "rural Ireland" can use FM. If "the diaspora" need a service, the Department responsible can fund it, just like the BBC World Service is funded by their Foreign Office not the licence payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Problem is on Boards you'll inevitably get a lot of comfortably off folks with a Marie Antoinette attitude to the Diaspora. "Let them use the Internet" will be the basic argument. In reality, many older people are like my elderly mother who can barely work the television remote let alone a smart phone, which is being touted as a 'realistic' alternative to LW 252.

In any case there always has been a dismissive attitude to the Irish away, especially those in the UK. Cheerio and give us your money twice a year is the classic official Ireland attitude. When small money is needed to secure the cultural lifeline, it is grudged.
    buy her a basic internet radio so, and tune the presets to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

RTE are SILL planning to cut off the elderly, the lonely, the sick and the isolated, a disgusting attack on our diaspora and on rural Ireland. WE MOST STOP THIS. We are planning a protest outside RTE Donnybrook on Monday October 31st at 2.52pm
    Please follow us on twitter or Facebook to help #savertelw252
    are lonely people not able to use FM?
    i'm pretty sure most sick people can use FM radios too.
    and most elderly people aren't some clueless doddery fools who can't work out how to listen to something other than LW.

almost all of "rural Ireland" has no problem getting the FM signal either.

"disgusting attack"? get a fukcin grip :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 savertelw252

1 October 31 is a bank holiday 2 Many rural areas are unable to get proper FM reception 3 Many elderly people depend on lw for religious programming not transmitted on FM 4 we have been told by a civil servant that there would likely be legal issues with a government department paying directly for an RTE radio service

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

1 October 31 is a bank holiday 2 Many rural areas are unable to get proper FM reception 3 Many elderly people depend on lw for religious programming not transmitted on FM 4 we have been told by a civil servant that there would likely be legal issues with a government department paying directly for an RTE radio service

1: Even worse - you'll have nobody turning up and nobody in there to protest to
    2: Campaign to get that fixed
    3: Campaign about that
    4: Legal issues can be sorted out

L1011 wrote: »
    just like the BBC World Service is funded by their Foreign Office not the licence payer.

The World service IS funded by the UK licence payer. The funding arrangments changed several years ago.

Many other countries also operate overseas radio services (Historically Ireland has been the odd one out in this regard) funded either by their government and/or licence payers. Some transmit TV overseas as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 savertelw252

Longwave is amazing good value for money but RTE pretend it's some sort of severe burden. What about the real waste in RTE? Some years ago, (around the same time that MW 567 & 729 were closed down) they spent millions of Euros to recruit Colin Hayes from the independent radio sector, Mr Hayes never had any impact on ratings for them but what do they do in the weeks after they announce the closure of lw in 2014? They repeat the exact mistakes of the past by spending millions of euros to recruit Ray D'Arcy who like Colin Hayes has gone on to have no impact on ratings

• Registered Users Posts: 27 savelongwave

Some who shout down the diaspora benefitted through their funding of the education system in the early sixties etc amounting to over €13M- brown envelopes of a different kind. 3,000 engaged in the Dep of Foreign Affairs UK audience research - the first of its kind. So great was the response that extra staff were hired. RTE are attempting closure by regularly pulling the plug on the service on the excuse of essential maintenance.

Some who shout down the diaspora benefitted through their funding of the education system in the early sixties etc amounting to over €13M- brown envelopes of a different kind. 3,000 engaged in the Dep of Foreign Affairs UK audience research - the first of its kind. So great was the response that extra staff were hired. RTE are attempting closure by regularly pulling the plug on the service on the excuse of essential maintenance.

Ah, so everyone at home now owes it to everyone now in the UK to continue to maintain broadcasts on LW, is that it? Because 50-60 years ago Irish business-people overseas put money into the Irish education system? An education system that was run by the church for the most part?

Look, I don't care about LW broadcasts. In this day and age, the excuses you're making just don't stack up. A 50 euro android phone, with or without headphones, will allow anyone anywhere there's WiFi or 3/4G internet access to listen to the RTE app.

RTE broadcasts on LW should end. It's overdue. If people like you put even half the effort you put into whinging about RTE doing the RIGHT THING into helping educate older listeners overseas learn how to listen in online, you'd be doing a better service for all concerned.

Let it go. Move with the times now, won't you? Most of the people who will bemoan the end of LW service will at the same time have a smartphone or a PC in the corner of the living room anyway. Spread the information they need to get listening in using todays medium of choice instead of winding yourself up into a tizzy over what amounts to a common sense decision.

• Advertisement

Longwave is amazing good value for money but RTE pretend it's some sort of severe burden. What about the real waste in RTE? Some years ago, (around the same time that MW 567 & 729 were closed down) they spent millions of Euros to recruit Colin Hayes from the independent radio sector, Mr Hayes never had any impact on ratings for them but what do they do in the weeks after they announce the closure of lw in 2014? They repeat the exact mistakes of the past by spending millions of euros to recruit Ray D'Arcy who like Colin Hayes has gone on to have no impact on ratings

Whataboutery.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

3 Many elderly people depend on lw for religious programming not transmitted on FM

http://www.dublindiocese.ie/watch-listen-live/

There's always an alternative.

While I'm at it, here's a perfectly affordable FM/DAB/WiFi radio that anyone who can use a mobile phone and a Sky TV remote should be able to manage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-One-Flow-White-DAB-Digital-FM-Wi-Fi-Internet-Radio-Music-Streaming-/301732161227?hash=item4640a366cb:g:F1EAAOSwyQtV6pDe

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It would be much more beneficial for RTE to provide FM relays in some of the worse black spots, especially on the south coast where the LW signal suffers severe interference from Algeria anyhow and is useless at night (which in Winter affects Drivetime etc not just post 7pm shows.)

Ah, so everyone at home now owes it to everyone now in the UK to continue to maintain broadcasts on LW, is that it? Because 50-60 years ago Irish business-people overseas put money into the Irish education system? An education system that was run by the church for the most part?

Look, I don't care about LW broadcasts. In this day and age, the excuses you're making just don't stack up. A 50 euro android phone, with or without headphones, will allow anyone anywhere there's WiFi or 3/4G internet access to listen to the RTE app.

RTE broadcasts on LW should end. It's overdue. If people like you put even half the effort you put into whinging about RTE doing the RIGHT THING into helping educate older listeners overseas learn how to listen in online, you'd be doing a better service for all concerned.

Let it go. Move with the times now, won't you? Most of the people who will bemoan the end of LW service will at the same time have a smartphone or a PC in the corner of the living room anyway. Spread the information they need to get listening in using todays medium of choice instead of winding yourself up into a tizzy over what amounts to a common sense decision.

You don't know many old people do you.

You don't know many old people do you.

I know plenty of older people.

Do you really think it's beyond their ability to learn how to plug in headphones, press 'RTE Player' on the screen and pick a station to listen to?

Or are you avoiding trying to make some other point?

I know plenty of older people.

Do you really think it's beyond their ability to learn how to plug in headphones, press 'RTE Player' on the screen and pick a station to listen to?

Or are you avoiding trying to make some other point?

Well I have older relatives who have just given up on technology. No point telling them how easy it is they have been thwarted by it so many times, they aren't going to be bothering anymore. I find that annoying but that's the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Well I have older relatives who have just given up on technology. No point telling them how easy it is they have been thwarted by it so many times, they aren't going to be bothering anymore. I find that annoying but that's the way it is.

Maybe we can give Libertarian WUMs fresh out of uni a job wagging their fingers at the older Irish in Britain instead.

Ah, so because someone is elderly and decides they can't be bothered, the Irish taxpayer should keep funding their antiquated broadcast service of choice?

My arse they should.

A 50 euro android phone, with or without headphones, will allow anyone anywhere there's WiFi or 3/4G internet access to listen to the RTE app. n.

How much mobile data would one use over the course of a month were they to spend several hours per day listening to RTE in this manner ?

And how much more would it cost RTE to stream to all these additional listeners ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

And how is that the RTEs fault/problem?

Advertisement