Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers including friends and family

Options
1293031323335»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

I re-framed from saying anything on the matter for awhile because I honestly had so many different feelings on this whole thing. When everything kicked off, and despite what they have now said, it was in direct relation to the Instagram. Now I haven't gone on and seen it myself but their intial response was aggressive and they wanted to intimidate people into stopping because they don't like it. That is the very defintion of bullying in itself, but I am not saying they are bullies.

Anyway, I was very upset at all this because it brought back tough memories for me from when I was bullied. I wish it was online and I could avoid the mean nasty things people were saying and block them but I couldn't, because I was actually bullied in person.

What I just don't get is that if they want people who aren't happy with them to just unfollow them and so on, why don't they just stop reading what's said about them and go about their lives? Live by what they preach and just don't read it.

I get that people send them nasty messages, and that is vile and cowardly, but there's always going to be people who just aren't right in the head.

The industry is starting to dry up, and I think they've started to notice this, that's why they are all coming out with products and opening companies, I just hope that they actually do something that does benefit the many people who are victims of bullying instead of just blowing steam to keep themselves relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

222233 wrote: »
    I think it's fantastic that they have addressed bullying. I don't think they are referring to just the IG account with the before and after pics I believe it's the manner in which people speculate and talk about them online in general. I remember some months back being horrified by some of what I read in this thread, no one deserves to be torn down for no reason. On defending the MUF at the time separate posters asked me if I was the MUF - To me this almost suggests that alot of the time positivity is not expected , the fact that I had something good to say meant I couldn't be a genuine poster, I was then told it was because I was "fangirling", when actually I was just pointing out that there are positives to every person and really who cares what they do. My point is that there is alot of negativity towards these men / women alot of it for no good or productive reason, live and let live. I'm glad that they have addressed this and going forward I hope that people will be more considerate of the fact that these influencers are in fact real people, who likely see all the things people write about them online.

Sorry have you even seen the pictures???
    Photoshopping yourself 4 sizes smaller than what you are while promoting your #fitfam lifestyle and flogging your own brand turkey burgers and protein shakers, as well as tickets to your "lifestyle" workshop for €65 a piece is an absolute disgrace.

It is morally and socially irresponsible to promote yourself to young, impressionable teenagers in that way, when it is all a lie.
    She altered herself to the point of her body being totally unrealistic, her proportions resembled a Bratz doll.
    Young women were using her "transformation" from this once plus size model to a teeny, tiny, petite barbie doll as inspiration for themselves. What kind of message does that send to those she is influencing about self worth and insecurity????

There are HUGE issues in this country regarding eating disorders and mental health issues centered around appearance. She is a grown woman in her 30's and the message she is sending to her target audience of teenagers is downright negligent.

It would be one thing if she actually did look like how he portrays herself online. She doesn't. There is nothing wrong with her real figure. Her real figure is tall, toned, muscular and in proportion. A world apart from the tiny little size 4 pixie she edits herself into.

I don't feel sorry for her at all tbh, she brought all this on herself. People have brought it to her attention numerous times before via private message and she just blocked them and called them a hater.

Another point I wanted to make was, that while they all went on this rant, did any of them actually share and statistics? or helplines for people? No one I follow bothered to. They have this amazing platform to actually spur change, and they had this amazing opportunity but they did nothing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

ace_irl wrote: »
    Another point I wanted to make was, that while they all went on this rant, did any of them actually share and statistics? or helplines for people? No one I follow bothered to. They have this amazing platform to actually spur change, and they had this amazing opportunity but they did nothing with it.
    I thought this as well when I was trying to catch up on all the fuss yesterday, I only recall one blogger putting up a link for a helpline. So for all the talk from Sue et all of their "power to influence" to tackle bullies, they couldn't be bothered to post a helpline that might actually help someone other than themselves.

It's extremely disappointing. Maybe if they all stopped talking about it, and actually did something things would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It took a while to catch up on all the fuss over the weekend. I think from observing it all, it's really only a very small percentage of Irish bloggers who actually photoshop or overly edit their images.
    IMO many of the "top influencers" are really just advertising vessels - they would advertise their grandma for a few bob of #sp / #ad / #iworkwith...
    All people want is a bit of honesty and integrity. Don't tell us that your plump lips are down to lip liner and gloss, that your chest is due to push up bras and contour and that your completely flawless face is just down to a medium coverage foundation. Stop with the false advertising!

I made a new thread with some helpful links for anyone who may need them.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105769300#post105769300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

There was one particular photo that took things oot for me. One of these bloggers on a beach.in real life if her waste was that tiny she would have caused damage to her internal organs

There was one particular photo that took things oot for me. One of these bloggers on a beach.in real life if her waste was that tiny she would have caused damage to her internal organs

Maybe a Mod can clarify whether we're allowed post them or not? They've been posted by a few media outlets so I don't see why it would be a problem but I don't want to cause any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

ace_irl wrote: »

No. Because it's all pie in the sky. They don't actually want to help anyone but themselves. All of that was just a load of backtracking hogwash to make it sound like they're "all for the kids" when in actuality it was quite clear from the get go this was a very aggressive response by them in relation to posts about them and nobody nor any child on earth mattered as much as bloggers targeted with unflattering pics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Maybe a Mod can clarify whether we're allowed post them or not? They've been posted by a few media outlets so I don't see why it would be a problem but I don't want to cause any trouble.

Mod: I've been following the whole debacle all weekend myself so what I'll do is open a new thread here just about the Instagram page and everything that stemmed from it (bullying accusations etc), and you can post the pictures in there.

Mod: I've been following the whole debacle all weekend myself so what I'll do is open a new thread here just about the Instagram page and everything that stemmed from it (bullying accusations etc), and you can post the pictures in there.

Thanks @silvervixen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CallmeKeano

I'm inevitably going to word this wrong but hopefully, you'll get what I mean!

What do you guys think of bloggers who include their friends and family in their posts? I don't mind the occasional mention or picture but some bloggers seem to have more posts/snaps relating to other people than to what their blog is meant to be about and I can feel quite uncomfortable about it. Is it not a bit too personal?

I think they do this so that some followers will go and follow their family members, the kardishians do this all the time as they seem to pop up out of nowhere, but if you don't want a 9-5 job and your cousins Grandmother's best friend's daughter is an influencer well go and piggyback of her and if you are (female) attractive and willing to post with little or no clothes you will gain followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Is the other thread archived?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tinaken

Pinkycharm wrote: »

Wondering the same thing, missing my fix of blogger gossip 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    Tinaken wrote: »
    Wondering the same thing, missing my fix of blogger gossip 🙈

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bloggers/comments/8cgp7a/irishbloggerchat/