Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers including friends and family

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It’s a matter of opinion whether the Instagram page did harm or good.

In my own personal opinion, I’m delighted the truth is now out there. It’s the height of hypocrisy to be flogging your own brand turkey burgers and protein shaker to the masses while photoshopping yourself 4 dress sizes smaller.

It’s damaging and misleading for women to be seeing this completely unattainable Barbie-esque figure which the blogger doesn’t even really have anyway. It’s altered to the point where it doesn’t even look like her. At the very least it’s false advertising for her #fitfam lifestyle.
    It promotes poor self worth and insecurity. How can I hope to ever look like that when SHE doesn’t even really look like that?!

The word ‘bully’ is being thrown around way too loosely. No one mocked how you REALLY look. People just took issue with your photoshopped images.
    Pointing out someone is selling white label catalogue items is not bullying. Pointing out that someone is selling Ali Express junk for a 900% mark up is not bullying. Pointing out that it’s irresponsible and misleading to Facetune your pics to the point of being unrecognizable is not bullying.

And lastly, I’m not sure if the person who created the Instagram is on Boards or not.
    I know people here are sick of hearing about Reddit (I am too) but I just feel the need to mention that if this forum hadn’t died a death I’m sure it would have been discussed at length here instead of Reddit.
    Boards is meant to be the beating heart of Ireland regarding current affairs and what Irish people are thinking. Several news stories have been published about it, similar to the findings about COD and Ali express.
    The uncovering of the COD issue in particular was a great win for Boards and had we been allowed to discuss the doctoring of images, it would have been a win for here too.

Unfortunately all discussion here has been completely stifled to the point that the forum has totally died. It’s such a shame when such good findings can be made, but we aren’t even allowed talk about them.
    All the effort we went to, to have this forum opened was for nothing. Everyone has migrated to Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

Page looks like it's set to private, can't even have a look at what it's all about

You can request to follow. It's the followers that are sending the person managing the page the pics. Some of them look so unbelievable that I'm beginning to think the real images are 'edited'. I'd be interested to see what you think.

I wonder will a national paper pick up on it.

My only issue with the page is that they are exposing Carla for having lip fillers but the girl herself said she had them. At least she's honest. I don't see why her pic should be there or am I incorrect?

PS: I went for supermacs instead of Pappa John's but I'd really recommend their large meals: two large meals with dressings on the fries delivered to my door for €19! Of course I ordered Diet Coke, just to keep the bod in check for the pics tomorrrow :)

Also, part of me is worried about the MUF. I don't know if she's in the best place to handle all this criticism. I know what she does is wrong but still, I don't want to see her hurt. She's had a tough year. It's a double edged sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I requested to follow but was rejected!

So Sue can take a running jump with her “watch our influence”. She might try influencing her hubby to not wear elasticated pants when they’re going for afternoon tea in a hotel.
    She hasn’t even been able to sell out her workshops.

What I’d like is for pages like that to post photos of their products. Sue pays British geordie shore types with large followings to post photoshopped photos of her eye pallette and sells that image.
    The reality from reviewers is rhat it doesn’t blend and from her own photo, wears off after a few hours.

Or are POCOS really worth 100+, how do they wash etc.

Ultimately though it’s not bullying. Sending a cease and desist isn’t Captain Planet-esque “watch what our power can do.”

• Advertisement

I'm deadly serious. We as the 'influenced' need to come together and say NO to Filtering and editing body shapes. NO to lies in order to financially profit. NO to staying quite so we aren't called bullies. WE have a voice. We are not bullies, we are women and men with our own opinions and morals and when these bloggers go against our morals WE WILL speak up! We will speak up for our children growing up in a world where you need to have big boobs, injected lips, skinny waist lines and a gap between your legs in order to be popular. Let's start promoting the 'real' influencers. Share those here....

The Diet Coke has clearly gone to my head :)

Edit: people are naturally gorgeous and this isn't jealousy. As I said earlier my heart goes out to the MUF and I hope she has people around her right now and is okay. I'm just really disgusted that exposing these things has resulted in a campaign against those that read or follow the page or forum. It's really insulting. I'm genuinely a decent person!

Follow, mermaidajade. She called the bloggers out and accused them of being the actual bullies in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Jesus lads what a fúcking shítstorm over pics that are real. They’re being bullied now? I’m shocked by how they’ve all claimed this and every one of them that have joined the anti bullying campaign has been deleted from my snapchat. Gimps the lot of them!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is there a way to see the photos without joining SC. I haven’t seen them but get the gist that they (bloggers) have completely missed the whole point.

pc7 wrote: »
    Is there a way to see the photos without joining SC. I haven’t seen them but get the gist that they (bloggers) have completely missed the whole point.

They're on Instagram not Snapchat. The girl is from the Reddit forum. It is clear what its intention is; to show young girls that Instagram life is not real life.

Ironically, it shows how the MUF shared a post five days ago about Britney Spears, two pics side by side of her face, saying me on the Internet versus me in real life. Very ironical that she thinks she isn't a bully because Britney is American but if someone does it to an 'Irish Celeb', it's bullying.

Also can anyone remember which blogger it was that shared a recent snap of Kylie Jenner entitled 'when the Snapchat filter comes off'? I remember seeing it on a snapchat story.

Louise Cooney has totally pulled her horns back in. She said this isn't the page that caused her to go on a bullying rant and to stand up to bullies. God, more lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 heretogetreal

Emmser wrote: »
    They're on Instagram not Snapchat. The girl is from the Reddit forum. It is clear what its intention is; to show young girls that Instagram life is not real life.

Ironically, it shows how the MUF shared a post five days ago about Britney Spears, two pics side by side of her face, saying me on the Internet versus me in real life. Very ironical that she thinks she isn't a bully because Britney is American but if someone does it to an 'Irish Celeb', it's bullying.

Also can anyone remember which blogger it was that shared a recent snap of Kylie Jenner entitled 'when the Snapchat filter comes off'? I remember seeing it on a snapchat story.

Louise Cooney has totally pulled her horns back in. She said this isn't the page that caused her to go on a bullying rant and to stand up to bullies. God, more lies.

Of course she’d pull her horns back in, the girl hasn't an original thought in her head to put it lightly so only in keeping with her trend-lead ‘style’ that she’d jump on the trend of boo-hooing about being bullied before realising it might cost her a sponsored post or two and pull back.

She’s the worst for promoting anything for a fee, clearly in it for the money so after the excitement of getting involved wore thin she was obviously going to panic about how this might affect how much cash she’s squeezing from her dull-as-dishwater insta by daring to have an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I genuinely wanted to see what all the fuss is about so I requested to follow the page but my request so far has been ignored. So I can't decide for myself if it falls into the realm of bullying or not.

I see Cherrysue targeted it yesterday as being direct singling out and bullying and I'd normally trust and endorse her opinion so I would like to see for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I genuinely wanted to see what all the fuss is about so I requested to follow the page but my request so far has been ignored. So I can't decide for myself if it falls into the realm of bullying or not.

I see Cherrysue targeted it yesterday as being direct singling out and bullying and I'd normally trust and endorse her opinion so I would like to see for myself.

There is thousands and thousands of requests waiting according to the owner of the instagram page. She said that on the reddit thread.
    Cherry sue isnt above taking jabs at bloggers herself but doesn't name names so does it very slyly. Most people know who she's talking about though.
    I don't follow her myself because I don't like those underhand tactics tbh. Either say it straight or keep it to yourself, that is bitchy and two faced.

Has even one bloggers responded and not given the same copy-and-paste opinion? It’d be refreshing (to say the least) so see even half an original opinion coming from these people.

They’re well able to have strong thoughts when being paid to talk about the latest lipstick, where are all the original thoughts now?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublingarda

I don't think it's bullying at all.

I found myself following these people for fashion,makeup and fitness tips which they gave me from the beginning. But since they all have made a business out of it the fame has gone to their heads and they don't give good content. Like I don't think followers need to know you are going to your brothers house for dinner or that you have just dropped your Son off to creche and your sitting outside it to see if you get a phone call to say he is unsettled.if I want a reality tv show I'll watch the kardashians.

They all thank us for our support but when we simple question or suggest improving what they offer to us they jump on the defensive.

My new years resolution was to stop wasting time watching ****e. You all seem greatly opinionated and effected by this so why not take a leaf out of my book and unfollow them.

There is thousands and thousands of requests waiting according to the owner of the instagram page. She said that on the reddit thread.
    Cherry sue isnt above taking jabs at bloggers herself but doesn't name names so does it very slyly. Most people know who she's talking about though.
    I don't follow her myself because I don't like those underhand tactics tbh. Either say it straight or keep it to yourself, that is bitchy and two faced.

How can I search for that thread please? I’m lost on Reddit.

Has even one bloggers responded and not given the same copy-and-paste opinion? It’d be refreshing (to say the least) so see even half an original opinion coming from these people.

They’re well able to have strong thoughts when being paid to talk about the latest lipstick, where are all the original thoughts now?

Rosemary Mc did, Dublin girlo has written some very well worded insta posts on the subject.
    Have a look at honthehuns on instagram they have a dear Irish influencers post that sums up the issue very well.

Rosemary Mc did, Dublin girlo has written some very well worded insta posts on the subject.
    Have a look at honthehuns on instagram they have a dear Irish influencers post that sums up the issue very well.

Yea I’m thinking Instagram but should look on Twitter too, thanks.

Just saw Sarah Hanrahan’s IG stories about it there, she takes a totally refreshing point of view. Hoping there’ll be more bloggers like her and RmC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

So highlighting that people alter pictures on social is now bullying. Alot of the problems that affect young girls stem from these altered imagined that they are bombarded with on a daily basis.

Eating disorders, low self esteem, bolemia etc can be the outcome of glsmourizing these false body images with Photoshop and filters

Just to add to this - the original question was if any bloggers had responded with a different opinion - Rosie has changed her opinion this morning and while she still says online bullying is wrong (obviously we all know that!) she agrees that using photoshop a huge amount isn't right.

The beautiful truth has recently posted on snapchat saying she feels influencers have to be more responsible with the images they portray to young girls and the pressure that those images might put on them.
    She then linked to a petition for a suicide prevention authority to be created in Ireland.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Ok. I've seen some of the pics. They do tend to focus very much on the MUF.

I don't know what to think. I've thought for a long time she would benefit greatly from a complete break from social media but I suppose that's not easy when it is your livelihood.

I'm kinda on the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If she didn't edit all her images to the point of not looking remotely like herself they wouldn't be focusing on her. Nobody is accusing her of looking awful or bad or fat in the real pics they're calling out that she does not look like her photoshopped images. That's not bullying, that's fact

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

They mainly focus on her because she's the main culprit of distorting your appearance to such an extent it wouldn't actually be physically possible to have that kind of body without removing several organs or severely damaging them.

If I have one criticism of the page it's that it probably should have mainly focused on photoshop before and after pics, rather than old pics vs new pics. Mainly because sure we all looked at state at once but most importantly because it gave those effected a handy get out of jail free line, "sure don't we all look different now".. etc.. and enabled them to twist the narrative into something it was never meant to be about.

Ok. I've seen some of the pics. They do tend to focus very much on the MUF.

I don't know what to think. I've thought for a long time she would benefit greatly from a complete break from social media but I suppose that's not easy when it is your livelihood.

I'm kinda on the fence.

Yes they do. She photoshops herself to look 2-3 sizes smaller in comparison to photos taken on the same day.
    She didn't care that the majority of comments were saying how amazing she looked naturally, all she can see is this ideal fake version of herself.

In her instagram rant today she's called herself a fat girl at size 14-16 - let's remember she's 5'10 - and insisted she's now a size 10 as she does in every conversation with everyone, really who other than her cares about it!

The issue is the person most ashamed is her, she's the one hiding her body shape, and pretending to be someone she isn't.
    Maybe she needs help and nows the time to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I see joanne put up a post saying shes crying the last number of days. While people are feeling sorry for her they are also asking her to give up photoshop and editing pictures to be more real...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I see joanne put up a post saying shes crying the last number of days. While people are feeling sorry for her they are also asking her to give up photoshop and editing pictures to be more real...

There's a very simple solution to the problem she keeps facing. Stop over manipulating your pics. It's really not that complicated but she just won't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Maybe thebeautifultruth could give them all a few lesson.. all people want is some honesty, requestinf honesty isnt bullying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I think it's fantastic that they have addressed bullying. I don't think they are referring to just the IG account with the before and after pics I believe it's the manner in which people speculate and talk about them online in general. I remember some months back being horrified by some of what I read in this thread, no one deserves to be torn down for no reason. On defending the MUF at the time separate posters asked me if I was the MUF - To me this almost suggests that alot of the time positivity is not expected , the fact that I had something good to say meant I couldn't be a genuine poster, I was then told it was because I was "fangirling", when actually I was just pointing out that there are positives to every person and really who cares what they do. My point is that there is alot of negativity towards these men / women alot of it for no good or productive reason, live and let live. I'm glad that they have addressed this and going forward I hope that people will be more considerate of the fact that these influencers are in fact real people, who likely see all the things people write about them online.

Advertisement