Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Co-living has its place (at a fraction of the rents being charged in Dublin for it). But foisting it on people who it may not be suitable for is a disaster in the waiting.

Some form of "new bedsit" is needed for plenty of people who are not suited to co-living environments. Small, fully self contained units in buildings with modern fire safety and cleaning/maintenance of the hallways/stairways/laundry rooms. This should not be beyond the skills of DCC to provide - indeed they and the old Dublin County Council used to. Standards may need amending to allow it, but it is severely needed now.

This is rather off-topic but if someone wants to move the posts to Humanities or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I used to hang in Baileys pub where a lot of actors and theatre folk used to go. That was in the mid eighties. It.looks more spiffy and less the pub now. The Norseman was a cool place back then when Temple Bar wasn't as tourist central as it is now.

Back in 87', a musician friend took me to the Underground pub to see if he could jam with someone. In comes Mike Scott from the Waterboys, they start jamming, I eventually start up a conversation whereupon I tell him I am a scenic painter for theatre. He asks me if I am interested in painting a backdrop for a tour they are doing, which I of course did for him. I painted the drop at the old Boland's flour mills that U2 had bought and turned into a practice space. The Waterboys and Hot House Flowers practiced in there while I painted this backdrop. Bono's painter friend Guggi also had a space to work on his paintings there, right next to me. I went out to down a few pints with him. He drove a 1980ish Plymouth Volaré which was funny as there weren't too many American cars in Ireland.

The Stag's head was another nice one. I went last year after a 33 year absence, but the place was quiet at noon, the food quite good.

What a great post- remember the car alright, it really stood out :).
    Was just cycling down Pembroke St earlier & was thinking back to the Pembroke- another artistic hang out.
    Think it would have been roughly where Matt the thresers is now( hope that's the right spelling ).

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Also you used to be able to get roast potatoes in the Noreseman- 20p iirc & great with a pint of plain

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mvt wrote: »
    Think it would have been roughly where Matt the thresers is now( hope that's the right spelling ).

Same site and licence as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

mvt wrote: »
    What a great post- remember the car alright, it really stood out :).
    Was just cycling down Pembroke St earlier & was thinking back to the Pembroke- another artistic hang out.

Thank you!

I really had a super time living in Dublin for a year, 87-88. I almost stayed but I don't regret coming back to be close to my folks, since 3 years later, my dad fell ill, and I met my wife, had kids etc...

I visited last year w the wife and boys to show them my old haunts, and happily, they are in their twenties, so, got to sample quite a few pubs, but not as many as I did back in the day, since I used to go out all the time. We stayed in Greystones, but traveled throughout the country so Dublin was less visited than the rest, but that was cooler for us anyways. One standout pub, food and atmosphere wise was in McNeills of Howth on Main street Howth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

L1011 wrote: »
    Underdog beneath Brogans, not Kearneys, is not a continuation of the old gig venue.

Kearneys was previously called Huba and Rogue

Thanks for ROGUE!!! That's been wrecking my head.

Re Underground; never knew about that place before Lapellos. What sort of timelines?

Re Kaybaywah's post; basement of Kearney's is called "Underground" and does indeed have a London Underground sign outside it.

Re Underground; never knew about that place before Lapellos. What sort of timelines?

Re Kaybaywah's post; basement of Kearney's is called "Underground" and does indeed have a London Underground sign outside it.

I think that the basement space could be the original. Not sure, I remember it being close to the Olympia on Dame street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

One standout pub, food and atmosphere wise was in McNeills of Howth on Main street Howth.
    Best pints in Howth by a mile.

In all the times I've been there/past there I never noticed they even *had* a basement. Don't particularly like the pub but that'd a special level of inattentiveness even for me!
    I think that the basement space could be the original. Not sure, I remember it being close to the Olympia on Dame street.

It isn't.

The original Underground was where Centra/Lapello is now. Lapello is one of the strip clubs with a drink licence, it being the licence from Underground.

Kearneys didn't even exist in this time period; despite the 'traditional Dublin pub' fitout it wasn't a pub until 2000/1 (at all - I'm not talking about when it became Kearneys, which was the late 2000s)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

The Underground sign used to be up in the early 80's remember it for sure in 84 but think it was there before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,014 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Chicago pizza pie place on the green was another

Ah yes, very early 90s, nearing the end of final year in Kevin St, a bunch of us went there for watery cocktails and crappy pizza, a few beers in the local hostelries and ended up in the wonderful Zoo Bar... you were supposed to be grateful just to get in. What a kip.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

In all the times I've been there/past there I never noticed they even *had* a basement. Don't particularly like the pub but that'd a special level of inattentiveness even for me!

It isn't.

The original Underground was where Centra/Lapello is now. Lapello is one of the strip clubs with a drink licence, it being the licence from Underground.

Kearneys didn't even exist in this time period; despite the 'traditional Dublin pub' fitout it wasn't a pub until 2000/1 (at all - I'm not talking about when it became Kearneys, which was the late 2000s)

Yep, sounds right, since I didn't remember it being attached to another pub in 87-88.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ah yes, very early 90s, nearing the end of final year in Kevin St, a bunch of us went there for watery cocktails and crappy pizza, a few beers in the local hostelries and ended up in the wonderful Zoo Bar... you were supposed to be grateful just to get in. What a kip.

Dont think I was ever in zoo bar..or have no recollection anyway. Lot of memories of drinking in dublin 80s/90s, trawling the city for a pint after closing time before joining the desperate hordes heading for Leeson St to drink crap overpriced plonk in Cats or Suzy Street! Having come from the sticks where you didnt bother going out before 10pm, it was a bit of a shock to encounter this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Dont think I was ever in zoo bar..or have no recollection anyway. Lot of memories of drinking in dublin 80s/90s, trawling the city for a pint after closing time before joining the desperate hordes heading for Leeson St to drink crap overpriced plonk in Cats or Suzy Street! Having come from the sticks where you didnt bother going out before 10pm, it was a bit of a shock to encounter this!

I spent more time in Zoo bar that I care to remember in the early 90s. They had a 3 hour happy hour as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

"Invalid carriage" as you'll see mentioned on the list of things not allowed on motorways. Its not the last/most famous AC model; it didn't have the external door rail on the top (recently watched a video series of someone restoring one; that's not something I had any reason to know before!)

Its probably an Invacar Mk12 - 147cc engine!

A bit like these toy cars in the Dublin Port Archive

https://www.dublinport.ie/unseen-rare-photographs-shed-new-light-dublin-port/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

roycon111 wrote: »
    A bit like these toy cars in the Dublin Port Archive

https://www.dublinport.ie/unseen-rare-photographs-shed-new-light-dublin-port/

They are heinkel bubble cars built in Dundalk, the former gnr works.

And quite disturbingly, allowed on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,014 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I know. On the Garda Twitter they're rounding them up on a daily basis :P

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

tabbey wrote: »
    They are heinkel bubble cars built in Dundalk, the former gnr works.

When I first toured Ireland in 81, there used to be a ****load of them all iver the country. When I lived in Dublin in 87-88, there were still a lot around. Don't think I ran across any last year.

imme wrote: »
    it was about 15 years ago
    https://www.hospitalityireland.com/pub-bar-nightclub/old-u2-favourite-dockers-pub-set-reopening-christmas-79923

there's a piece recorded at the Dockers with U2 on satellite link after they won a Billboard Award talking to Phil Collins on a link up.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/u2-favourite-dublin-pub-re-opening-171048

Below is a photo from October 2005 showing it well closed at that stage

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tinkertart/54727112/in/photostream/

• Advertisement

https://imgur.com/gallery/quaNWAs

Does anyone know the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Is it M.Hughs on Chancery Street maybe

The International iirc.

Today I learned that the famous Mother Redcaps, with its 1760 date on the door, is in a building 115 years newer than that and only opened as a pub in 1988 or 1989.

They basically lifted the name of a pub that was somewhere near there even earlier than 1760 (1734 is the only reference I can find); and got the date wrong.

Don't feel quite so bad about it sitting rotting away when I know its a total fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

May be welcome inn on parnell st. According to this link anyway.

https://brandnewretro.ie/2013/05/14/depeche-mode-dublin-1983-nme/

tricky D wrote: »
    The International iirc.
    Nah.

The gig was in the SFX and from a search around the web, there are suggestions that it's The Confession Box or The Welcome Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Today I learned that the famous Mother Redcaps, with its 1760 date on the door, is in a building 115 years newer than that and only opened as a pub in 1988 or 1989.

They basically lifted the name of a pub that was somewhere near there even earlier than 1760 (1734 is the only reference I can find); and got the date wrong.

Don't feel quite so bad about it sitting rotting away when I know its a total fake.

A bit off topic but speaking of fakes, The Snug, Temple Bar. Now you see it, now you don't. 1694 over the door and it opened in 2014 or so. Streetview 2009 Streetview 2014 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Hill 16, that pain of glass is now behind the bar in Brannigan's, Cathedral Street.

ollaetta wrote: »
    A bit off topic but speaking of fakes, The Snug, Temple Bar. Now you see it, now you don't. 1694 over the door and it opened in 2014 or so. Streetview 2009 Streetview 2014 onwards

Its old but it isn't THAT old

https://comeheretome.com/2013/10/25/temple-bars-oldest-pub/

The number-falling-off "1543" on The Big Tree was probably the most hilarious as:

1: It used to say 1453, but someone repainted the sign wrong
    2: The building is from the 1820s
    3: Some tourists actually thought it was from 543!

Irish booze industry is full of this - the 1759 and 1608 on Guinness and Bushmills are inaccurate too (in different ways)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

JW Sweetman is possibly the silliest.
    J.W. SWEETMAN
    CRAFT BREWERY DUBLIN × EST. 1756

A JOURNEY BACK IN TIME
    Our site here at 1&2 Burgh Quay dates back as far as 1808...

Advertisement