Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This was across and down the road a bit from Stoneys. Not sure when it closed or its last name:

http://www.dublincity.ie/image/libraries/166-pj-crowleys

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

L1011 wrote: »
    This was across and down the road a bit from Stoneys. Not sure when it closed or its last name:

http://www.dublincity.ie/image/libraries/166-pj-crowleys
    Not the place I'm thinking of, though it was just up the road, if I'm thinking rightly. Is that Parnell Street on the right? Is it the same place as the Nigerian bar that popped up in the 90's that had an infamous row with the Blue Lion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hill St is on the right and Grenville St is the street name on the plaque above the pub name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I know it wasn't with us for all that long but I miss the gypsy rose on Aston Quay something fierce, nothing really replaced the atmosphere of that place since. Use to head in after work alot and on weekends with mates the odd time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not the place I'm thinking of, though it was just up the road, if I'm thinking rightly. Is that Parnell Street on the right? Is it the same place as the Nigerian bar that popped up in the 90's that had an infamous row with the Blue Lion?

Its on Hill Street. The pic is quite old.

There was no other pub (other than Stoneys) on Hill Street in the time period you're talking about that I'm aware of.

The Nigerian bar is now the standalone offo on Parnell now. Still has a pub licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There was no other pub (other than Stoneys) on Hill Street in the time period you're talking about that I'm aware of.
    Called Tony Burkes until some time in the 90s when the owner got caught with his trousers down with the au pair and the soon-to-be ex-wife forced him sell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My memory is a bit hazy on the name. It was opposite Stoney's on Hill Street? They used to put on punk gigs there. It was called something like the Fox and Rabbit, except in the Irish translation, at some stage?

The Fox And Pheasant? Aka the poxy peasant

The Fox and Pheasant was on Great Strand Street (opposite Pantibar) in the 90s

(well, there are often two pubs with the same name)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I know it wasn't with us for all that long but I miss the gypsy rose on Aston Quay something fierce, nothing really replaced the atmosphere of that place since. Use to head in after work alot and on weekends with mates the odd time.

Still there under a diff name I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I have to agree with ya. The Viperroom before it was great for a schnakey late one as well. Door staff and bar staff were brilliant.

---

Speaking of, this has been doing my head in for years and I have no reference to even search for it; what was the bar called before Peadar Kearneys on Dame St? It was another one of those spots you would never darken the door of for a normal drink but was a haven for a late one.

• Advertisement

So The Hungry Mexican used to be Gypsy Rose and Viperroom before that.

Where RIOT is now was Celtworld >>> Templecom >>>Blucaffe then Gypsy Rose (II) then RIOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Ah it's not the same at all, staff and patrons are pretty much completely changed bar a stubborn few but even there giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

At the moment, I'm reading Brendan Behan's 'Confessions of an Irish Rebel', and he makes several references to a pub named (or more probably nicknamed) "Shaky man's".

When I googled "shaky mans pub dublin", the results all refer to Alfie Byrne's habit of shaking everyone's hands - but also mention that he ran a pub in Talbot St. This theory is supported when he talks about going from Shaky Man's to the Blue Lion, so well within walking distance.

Can anyone shed any light on this - was there a pub colloquially known as Shaky Man's, and is there an existing pub still operating from the same premises today?

Thanks.

Its on Hill Street. The pic is quite old.

The Nigerian bar is now the standalone offo on Parnell now. Still has a pub licence.

I was getting my geography a bit mixed up with where the Nigerian pub/offie is. There was definitely a pub across the road, and down just a little from Stoney's. It was closed by about 2002ish when I saw the lads rifling cases of beer out of it. Can't get the name of it in my head, pretty sure it had an Irish name at the time, Coinín (rabbit) and something is my hazy memory of the name, Coinín mightn't be right either!

El Tarangu wrote: »
    At the moment, I'm reading Brendan Behan's 'Confessions of an Irish Rebel', and he makes several references to a pub named (or more probably nicknamed) "Shaky man's".

When I googled "shaky mans pub dublin", the results all refer to Alfie Byrne's habit of shaking everyone's hands - but also mention that he ran a pub in Talbot St. This theory is supported when he talks about going from Shaky Man's to the Blue Lion, so well within walking distance.

Can anyone shed any light on this - was there a pub colloquially known as Shaky Man's, and is there an existing pub still operating from the same premises today?

Thanks.

Quick search suggests its what is now the Ripley Court Hotel; where I'm not sure if the bar is (was) open to the public or not. It was actually called the Verdon, that nickname is only a nickname.
    I was getting my geography a bit mixed up with where the Nigerian pub/offie is. There was definitely a pub across the road, and down just a little from Stoney's. It was closed by about 2002ish when I saw the lads rifling cases of beer out of it. Can't get the name of it in my head, pretty sure it had an Irish name at the time, Coinín (rabbit) and something is my hazy memory of the name, Coinín mightn't be right either!

The pic is of the pub across and down a bit from Stoneys, it could have changed entirely between the pic being taken (60s) and when it closed of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Anyone remember a pub called The Brothers on Mary Street?

First pints in town, All Ireland day 1998. Two 16 year old Lilies had our fill :D

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Anyone remember a pub called The Brothers on Mary Street?

First pints in town, All Ireland day 1998. Two 16 year old Lilies had our fill :D

Best part of your day anyway :P

Grays of Newmarket Square has been closed for a long time. A fella was shot dead in it going back a few years. It truly is no more now, a JCB type yoke was pulling the building down in to rubble today.

Grays of Newmarket Square has been closed for a long time. A fella was shot dead in it going back a few years. It truly is no more now, a JCB type yoke was pulling the building down in to rubble today.

I hate to see it when it happens.

I live across from The Black and Amber or should i say, what was The Black and Amber in Islandbridge. It was a horrible morning watching it getting knocked as I headed to work.

Was on Meath St on Friday driving from Kevin St and Coombe to home and saw building going on beside the Fountain and my heart sank thinking they knocked the Fountain. Phew.

Long long time since I darkened its door since i was in college and my mates lived above it in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I used to hang in Baileys pub where a lot of actors and theatre folk used to go. That was in the mid eighties. It.looks more spiffy and less the pub now. The Norseman was a cool place back then when Temple Bar wasn't as tourist central as it is now.

Back in 87', a musician friend took me to the Underground pub to see if he could jam with someone. In comes Mike Scott from the Waterboys, they start jamming, I eventually start up a conversation whereupon I tell him I am a scenic painter for theatre. He asks me if I am interested in painting a backdrop for a tour they are doing, which I of course did for him. I painted the drop at the old Boland's flour mills that U2 had bought and turned into a practice space. The Waterboys and Hot House Flowers practiced in there while I painted this backdrop. Bono's painter friend Guggi also had a space to work on his paintings there, right next to me. I went out to down a few pints with him. He drove a 1980ish Plymouth Volaré which was funny as there weren't too many American cars in Ireland.

The Stag's head was another nice one. I went last year after a 33 year absence, but the place was quiet at noon, the food quite good.

• Advertisement

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I used to hang in Baileys pub where a lot of actors and theatre folk used to go. That was in the mid eighties. It.looks more spiffy and less the pub now. The Norseman was a cool place back then when Temple Bar wasn't as tourist central as it is now.

Back in 87', a musician friend took me to the Underground pub to see if he could jam with someone. In comes Mike Scott from the Waterboys, they start jamming, I eventually start up a conversation whereupon I tell him I am a scenic painter for theatre. He asks me if I am interested in painting a backdrop for a tour they are doing, which I of course did for him. I painted the drop at the old Boland's flour mills that U2 had bought and turned into a practice space. The Waterboys and Hot House Flowers practiced in there while I painted this backdrop. Bono's painter friend Guggi also had a space to work on his paintings there, right next to me. I went out to down a few pints with him. He drove a 1980ish Plymouth Volaré which was funny as there weren't too many American cars in Ireland.

The Stag's head was another nice one. I went last year after a 33 year absence, but the place was quiet at noon, the food quite good.

When did the Norseman become Farringdons?

Never ever liked it in any guise.

What was the "Underground" that you refer.to?

Also, you've ruined this thread with your story. Ha ha.

It kinda pisses all over meeting dodgy fúckers in the Celt or the Man of Arran!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I noticed the Underground is still around. As I remember it, on Dame street, very near the Olympia theatre. It still has a small London Underground sign. Seems to be tied to a bigger pub upstairs.

Yeah, the Norseman was just a busy place, but not the type of tourist type one that it has become. Temple Bar was becoming attractive because of a lot of artistic activity and centrality. It was sort of theatre tech people central whereas Baileys was actors and such. I used to live on Berkeley street in Phibsborough and later in leafy Donnybrook. I used to go to the "gravediggers" John Kavanaughs when I lived on the North side but can't say I was a fixture.

Anyways, it's hard to beat the atmosphere of an old Dublin pub. The old characters of which you speak for instance. I remember once walking into Shakespeares for a pint and this old guy turning around shily and opening up the conversation with a "dorty weather today, eh?" Simple, but effective. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thought that place was protected by An Taisce or something...werent the plans for the square amended to include keeping it? I kmow work started in knocking the factory/units next door, didnt see the pub was gone as well.
    Not that it was any great loss...it looked awful and was derelict for years, dunno how an taisce had it down as having historical value

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I noticed the Underground is still around. As I remember it, on Dame street, very near the Olympia theatre. It still has a small London Underground sign. Seems to be tied to a bigger pub upstairs.

Yeah, the Norseman was just a busy place, but not the type of tourist type one that it has become. Temple Bar was becoming attractive because of a lot of artistic activity and centrality. It was sort of theatre tech people central whereas Baileys was actors and such. I used to live on Berkeley street in Phibsborough and later in leafy Donnybrook. I used to go to the "gravediggers" John Kavanaughs when I lived on the North side but can't say I was a fixture.

Anyways, it's hard to beat the atmosphere of an old Dublin pub. The old characters of which you speak for instance. I remember once walking into Shakespeares for a pint and this old guy turning around shily and opening up the conversation with a "dorty weather today, eh?" Simple, but effective. Lol

Really?

The Underground on Dame Street below Peadar Kearney's had a previous guise called the Underground? Same bar?

Before Kearney's, that bar was a bar I frequented formulate drinks (2003-2009), but I forget the name. The downstairs area was not separate then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 d11gunner

The Underground was a bar and live music venue facing up George’s St where Lapello’s lap dancing club is now. It was a big loss to the Dublin music scene.

Underdog beneath Brogans, not Kearneys, is not a continuation of the old gig venue.

Kearneys was previously called Huba and Rogue

retalivity wrote: »
    Thought that place was protected by An Taisce or something...werent the plans for the square amended to include keeping it? I kmow work started in knocking the factory/units next door, didnt see the pub was gone as well.
    Not that it was any great loss...it looked awful and was derelict for years, dunno how an taisce had it down as having historical value

It's torn down as far as a one story building at the moment. I had an idea that Teelings across the road might have taken it. They're tearing down that whole block. Don't get me started on what they're doing to tbe whole area. Ridiculous amounts of student accommodations and hotels...

The Teeling rumour seems to go for every pub nearby. They have their own licence for the visitor centre and I suspect that's that.

That site is, I believe, going to be a Premier Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It's torn down as far as a one story building at the moment. I had an idea that Teelings across the road might have taken it. They're tearing down that whole block. Don't get me started on what they're doing to tbe whole area. Ridiculous amounts of student accommodations and hotels...

Yeah went and had a look earlier....lads in working on it today as well, it is gone!
    There's a micro-brewery going in as part of the newmarket build, although I think it going in the place beside teelings that hasn't started work yet - the Creedon group building, not where blenders was. It's possible the license is moving there?

I can see all the student accommodation being commandeered in a few years to house homeless/housing list folk in a co-living environment (if coronavirus doesn't kill that idea)...it'll be 10 times worse then.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    I can see all the student accommodation being commandeered in a few years to house homeless/housing list folk in a co-living environment (if coronavirus doesn't kill that idea)...it'll be 10 times worse then.

I reckon that is EXACTLY what's going to happen. I was dealing with Dublin City councillors (I had an allotment in Weavers Square). Anyway, one thing I was told by councillors, is that the big student accommodations in Blackpitts is owned by a middle eastern investment fund. I'm sure other developments are also owned by investment/vulture funds etc. I. E, it's just another property in a "portfolio" owned by people who couldn't give a flying fućk about the area, it's just something on a balance sheet. The cynic in me believes that they have factored in that they will end up housing homeless, refugees etc, which they will charge the government full whack for.
    I know it's off topic, but it boils my blood what they're doing to the area, endless hotels and student accommodations, when there is an acute housing shortage. Rant over.

EDIT. This is not a rant about homeless or refugees. Its a rant about Dublin City Council. Owen Keegan in particular.

Advertisement