Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

roycon111 wrote: »
    Some more for you...

Doran's (with possibly Hawkins House in the Background) 1978
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/edsijmons/8429379589/

The Irish House, 1978
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/edsijmons/8430440962/

O'Connell's 1981 - hasnt changed much
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/seanhennessyphotography/7163227683/

Sean O'Casey's, 1989
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/60501971@N08/49395676421/

Where was The Irish House? Obviously not the famous one used to be on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Where was The Irish House? Obviously not the famous one used to be on the quays.

Irishtown/Ringsend i think. Looks like the Seapoint House.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irishtown/Ringsend i think.

That photo is Harolds Cross Bridge; the owners bought the pub there after the Wood Quay one closed.

L1011 wrote: »
    That photo is Harolds Cross Bridge; the owners bought the pub there after the Wood Quay one closed.

Oh right thanks. Wasn't sure. Now that you mention it i know it. As you're coming from Harolds Cross over the canal bridge heading into town it was just in there on the left. Nice car outside anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"Invalid carriage" as you'll see mentioned on the list of things not allowed on motorways. Its not the last/most famous AC model; it didn't have the external door rail on the top (recently watched a video series of someone restoring one; that's not something I had any reason to know before!)

Its probably an Invacar Mk12 - 147cc engine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ah cheers. Remember it now alright, never in it.

"Invalid carriage" as you'll see mentioned on the list of things not allowed on motorways. Its not the last/most famous AC model; it didn't have the external door rail on the top (recently watched a video series of someone restoring one; that's not something I had any reason to know before!)

Its probably an Invacar Mk12 - 147cc engine!

Impressive knowledge. I have another name for it - a clapped out banger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Oh right thanks. Wasn't sure. Now that you mention it i know it. As you're coming from Harolds Cross over the canal bridge heading into town it was just in there on the left. Nice car outside anyway.

It was on the other side of the bridge. On the left as you crossed the bridge heading towards Harold's Cross.

Is that Irish House pub beside where McKenna's pub was?

Is that Irish House pub beside where McKenna's pub was?

Its the other side of the bridge, its apartments now. There may be a bookies on the ground floor, I think.

The pub beside McKennas (now MVP) was the Man of Achill and before that the completely bonkers "Old Grinding Young"

• Advertisement

Its the other side of the bridge, its apartments now. There may be a bookies on the ground floor, I think.

The pub beside McKennas (now MVP) was the Man of Achill and before that the completely bonkers "Old Grinding Young"

Got ya. That red coloured bookies. I actually dont remember that pub.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I actually dont remember that pub.
    It was called O'Looney's in its final form, before demolition.

Not sure if its a good trade to be going into anymore. Heard the Hill 16 on Gardiner St wont be opening up its doors again after this pandemic. Its going to follow the Big Tree and Berminghams close by to become another old Dublin drinking memory. Nostalgia is all we'll be left with lads.

I would expect the number of pubs that don't reopen in their same form could be in triple figures.

Large pubs with restaurant certs may reopen end of June and probably most hotel bars in August - but smaller pubs are going to have to wait even longer, as it just won't be viable to open with as few punters as they can fit in.

If the hotel ever gets finished, there will be a bar called the Big Tree in it, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,091 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wonder would a by-product of covid-19 be a relaxing of the licensing laws? If there's going to need to be less people in pubs, just allow more places to serve alcohol. Would make it easier to police if you didnt have everyone trying to cram in to the limited places that will re-open (cant wait to see the carnage on the monday when pubs re-open and they are turning ppl away at the door).
    Vintners would never support it though, as it undermines their cartel, but would bring us closer to a european/asian model

Edit - thought i was in the corona forum...

retalivity wrote: »
    Wonder would a by-product of covid-19 be a relaxing of the licensing laws? If there's going to need to be less people in pubs, just allow more places to serve alcohol. Would make it easier to police if you didnt have everyone trying to cram in to the limited places that will re-open (cant wait to see the carnage on the monday when pubs re-open and they are turning ppl away at the door).
    Vintners would never support it though, as it undermines their cartel, but would bring us closer to a european/asian model

Edit - thought i was in the corona forum...

Publicans would be horrified but it should have been done decades ago. The decision to limit the number of licences is now 118 years old and probably outlived its usefulness 80 years ago or more

Plenty of restaurants/big cafes already have substantial bottled beer options + taps but can't legally serve you without food. Some do (well, did) anyway, but sssshhh on that ;)

Opening hours must have to come in to play also. I've already heard a hairdressers discuss that they'll probably be doing 7am-midnight appointments as there'll be pent up demand and they can only use half of their stations. We may be looking at a period of time of working to Portuguese style hours - shopping centres open til midnight with nearly all stores open is common there - and that would suggest pubs would be viable to 3-4am all week.

Up to 24h licencing with the council deciding (with an appeals system should the council have some Pioneer grasp control and close everywhere at 9) would be most sensible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Publicans would be horrified but it should have been done decades ago. The decision to limit the number of licences is now 118 years old and probably outlived its usefulness 80 years ago or more
    When you hear pubs and their representatives lament that many won't re-open, it's worth remembering that every pub closure represents a big payday for the owner, and they have rigorously defended this system that incentivises them to close their pubs and sell the building to be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Still a cafe then! Do you have that phone book personally or is it online?

The former Chariot in Ranelagh doesn't look anything like it and I think it was in its Richard Crosbie Tavern era.

The latter one is not called James J Murphy; its an ad for Murphy's. Could be a Murphys tied house.

On sight I can't tell what either of them is now, indeed they may not be Dublin as Murphy's didn't have tied houses in Dublin to the best of my knowledge and it would rarely be advertised that heavily on a non-tied house.

edit: I've asked some other people with deep knowledge of Dublin pubs and they turned up a pic of the Richard Crosbie Tavern as a single floor building; so it wasn't always as it is today. But it also wasn't called The Chariot by then - name changed by 1984 at the latest and that pic is meant to be 1988

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gentlemanofletters/3400560269

BeerNut wrote: »
    When you hear pubs and their representatives lament that many won't re-open, it's worth remembering that every pub closure represents a big payday for the owner, and they have rigorously defended this system that incentivises them to close their pubs and sell the building to be something else.

Aldi and Lidl would be delighted with some more licences for conversion I'm sure also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

Three pubs in Summerhill. The Sunset House (new name now). The Bridge Inn and close by Lowrys (the old Beltons).

Right after College, three of us moved into a gaff on the Clonliffe and decided it'd be a great idea to do a 12 pubs into town via Ballybough & Summerhill. Think it was 2011 Christmas.

Our route;

1. Clonliffe House
    2. The Ref
    3. Lowry's
    4. Bridge House
    5. Sunset
    6. The Strand
    7. Lloyds
    8. Mullets
    9. Cleary's
    10. Graingers
    11. Confession Box
    12. Coppers (of course)

Started early enough and took our time so we didn't wreck ourselves, got a few looks for sure from locals but not a bit of bother. Some lad in The Ref was having a going away to prison party (presume he was handing himself in the next day?).

Loved living in that area, some great spots - Gaffney's for a pint, the Flaming Wok was a cracking chinese. Great buzz about the place on match days even if it was a bit annoying from time to time when you live in the area.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Right after College, three of us moved into a gaff on the Clonliffe and decided it'd be a great idea to do a 12 pubs into town via Ballybough & Summerhill. Think it was 2011 Christmas.

Our route;

1. Clonliffe House
    2. The Ref
    3. Lowry's
    4. Bridge House
    5. Sunset
    6. The Strand
    7. Lloyds
    8. Mullets
    9. Cleary's
    10. Graingers
    11. Confession Box
    12. Coppers (of course)

Started early enough and took our time so we didn't wreck ourselves, got a few looks for sure from locals but not a bit of bother. Some lad in The Ref was having a going away to prison party (presume he was handing himself in the next day?).

Loved living in that area, some great spots - Gaffney's for a pint, the Flaming Wok was a cracking chinese. Great buzz about the place on match days even if it was a bit annoying from time to time when you live in the area.

Good session that, lad. Cant argue with that pub crawl. A much maligned area, but i wouldn't want to be anywhere else for a bit of fun and mischief.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Our route;

1. Clonliffe House
    2. The Ref
    3. Lowry's
    4. Bridge House
    5. Sunset
    6. The Strand
    7. Lloyds
    8. Mullets
    9. Cleary's
    10. Graingers
    11. Confession Box
    12. Coppers (of course)

Was Mullet's called Mullet's even back then? I felt it was a more recent name! :O

Cleary's the best of the lot there. Old Confession Box was something else too. Lin Kee on the Strand for the Chinese.

I used to live off the Clonliffe myself and am an avid Dubs match attender. So have darkened most of those.

My mate moved to Summerhill Parade, right across from Lowry's back in February and we had planned a crawl from Meaghers down to the Bridge/Little Tree and then this all hit.

Hopefully most will open back up come August.

Mullets is run by the two red headed brothers known as Podge and Rodge. All the local Sinn Fein and republican mob have their own area just to the right of the entrance known as the 'Mary Lou corner'.

Our route;

1. Clonliffe House
    2. The Ref
    3. Lowry's
    4. Bridge House
    5. Sunset
    6. The Strand
    7. Lloyds
    8. Mullets
    9. Cleary's
    10. Graingers
    11. Confession Box
    12. Coppers (of course)

One you missed was the 74 Talbot, used be known as Mother Kellys. Thats one of my more frequented ones. Mad aul spot.

Molloys and The Celt too.

But no doubt you had your bellies full with the other 11 pubs around the NIC.

Good session that, lad. Cant argue with that pub crawl. A much maligned area, but i wouldn't want to be anywhere else for a bit of fun and mischief.

Tell you what, I'd take it any day over bouncing around those pretentious cocktail bars on Dawson St.

I also remember watching a few Arsenal games upstairs in what was Kate's Cottage back in the day (Brew Dock now).

Tell you what, I'd take it any day over bouncing around those pretentious cocktail bars on Dawson St.

I also remember watching a few Arsenal games upstairs in what was Kate's Cottage back in the day (Brew Dock now).

100%.

Went in to Mother Kellys sort-of by mistake looking for someone showing a Championship match - was in Brew Dock and Graingers was closed (though I'm not sure they even show matches now)

Absolutely mental event.

Was two of us so got two pints when we went in. Went up for my second - the other lad didn't want another - but by the time I got to the bar there were two poured for us. Had to give hand signals from the queue the next time lest we end up with a total backlog.

One bar woman keeping the entire shop going, even though its really too big for that.

Lad was going around trying to sell bottles of Smirnoff from an unknown source, saying he was just out of the 'joy and needed the cash. Was ordered from behind the bar to sit down and shut up; which he did

Jacks were half an inch deep in "water"

I didn't go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

The Ref was the Blind Ref? I ask because I was recently trying to remember exactly where it was (or still is, I lived in the north inner city for years, but never had a pint in that pub ) It was bugging me where it was. Part of me was thinking it was down on the quays, but I'm pretty sure I'm confusing it for another place.

The Ref was the Blind Ref? I ask because I was recently trying to remember exactly where it was (or still is, I lived in the north inner city for years, but never had a pint in that pub ) It was bugging me where it was. Part of me was thinking it was down on the quays, but I'm pretty sure I'm confusing it for another place.

Yeah it's The Blind Ref, its in the middle of Ballybough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

The place on the quays I'm thinking of was a pub on the quays at the Bridgefoot Street/Oliver Bond area. It's no more, It wasn't the Blind Ref (I think), but a similar kind of name. It'll come to me :D

Advertisement