Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

cson wrote: »
    Yeah it's The Blind Ref, its in the middle of Ballybough.

Ta. Knew I had it confused. Came to me. The Deaf Judge was the one on the quays! :D:D

One of the regulars in Bakers on Thomas Street told me the place had been sold. No idea if that's true. God knows what'll turn in to if so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

L1011 wrote: »
    Went in to Mother Kellys sort-of by mistake looking for someone showing a Championship match - was in Brew Dock and Graingers was closed (though I'm not sure they even show matches now)

Absolutely mental event.

Was two of us so got two pints when we went in. Went up for my second - the other lad didn't want another - but by the time I got to the bar there were two poured for us. Had to give hand signals from the queue the next time lest we end up with a total backlog.

One bar woman keeping the entire shop going, even though its really too big for that.

Lad was going around trying to sell bottles of Smirnoff from an unknown source, saying he was just out of the 'joy and needed the cash. Was ordered from behind the bar to sit down and shut up; which he did

Jacks were half an inch deep in "water"

I didn't go back!

Ha very good :)

Place got a nice overaul. Pretty swank inside now. Have an upstairs too which open on weekends and big matches (Liverpool games esp.).

Unfortunately the jacks never got a makeover. The last time i was there there was no jacks roll and a filthy pair of underpants floating in the toilet bowl. The residant plumber earns his corn the one day a year he turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

The Ref was the Blind Ref? I ask because I was recently trying to remember exactly where it was (or still is, I lived in the north inner city for years, but never had a pint in that pub ) It was bugging me where it was. Part of me was thinking it was down on the quays, but I'm pretty sure I'm confusing it for another place.

The lads were caught drinking in it two weeks ago. Ex Lord Mayor Niall Ring was one of the few caught on a Friday evening but he owns the office next door and by the time the garda got into the ref all the lads were drinking a bottle in his office. Reasonable doubt. I believe they got away with it. This ex Lord Mayor likes a drink or ten. He racked up massive bills for alcohol in the Mansion House where half the North Inner City were wined and wined. Gas man.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

^ Gas man, no, just a self-entitled pr1ck and this is far from the first evidence of that.
    "Invalid carriage" as you'll see mentioned on the list of things not allowed on motorways.

I thought those horrible little yokes were strictly a UK thing, never remember seeing one in the flesh. Don't know why they bothered putting them on the motorway sign really, as we didn't have any motorways until well into the 80s (Naas bypass, 1983)

Up to 24h licencing with the council deciding (with an appeals system should the council have some Pioneer grasp control and close everywhere at 9) would be most sensible.

Far too sensible for Ireland :(

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yeah, wouldn't be gone on Nial (where's the other L Nial) Ring. If he wasn't from Dublin, he'd be seen as a gombeen man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Strumms wrote: »
    Any updates on Conways of Parnell St since the last time I asked? From what I’m reading it’s now closed 12 years and nothing being done... a few bob thrown into it, a decent food menu, music upstairs again and it could make a fortune... beautiful old unique and iconic Dublin pub...

Yeah bizarre its been closed that length of time. Who even owns it now, I know Eddie o'Donoghue of the Hairy Lemon had an interest circa 2001 but not sure after that.

Also doesnt a pub have to open up one day a year to maintain their license, has Conways done that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought those horrible little yokes were strictly a UK thing, never remember seeing one in the flesh. Don't know why they bothered putting them on the motorway sign really, as we didn't have any motorways until well into the 80s (Naas bypass, 1983)

Some users found it impossible to pass the car test (they have motorbike controls) so they survived in tiny numbers until the 2000s in the UK - I'd expect some carried on here after '83 too but we did copy that sign I think.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah bizarre its been closed that length of time. Who even owns it now, I know Eddie o'Donoghue of the Hairy Lemon had an interest circa 2001 but not sure after that.

Hammerson. Its all part of the Carlton site redevelopment plan.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Also doesnt a pub have to open up one day a year to maintain their license, has Conways done that?

Urban myth. You do need to provide either a fire safety cert or an affidavit saying you won't trade without one; but there have been licences attached to ruins or even empty patches of land in Dublin recently.

Conway's licence is valid and renewed for this year with Dublin Central GP Limited as the licence holder. This is a Hammerson company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Oh right thanks. Wasn't sure. Now that you mention it i know it. As you're coming from Harolds Cross over the canal bridge heading into town it was just in there on the left. Nice car outside anyway.

Here's the same pub a few years earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Does anyone remember anything about the Premier Bar back in the 80s? It was on either Francis or Meath St? My cousins and his wife managed it and lived above, not the best profession for a couple of alcoholics. I remember Dad brining me in a few times. I was under 10 so don’t remember much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Hubertj wrote: »
    Does anyone remember anything about the Premier Bar back in the 80s? It was on either Francis or Meath St? My cousins and his wife managed it and lived above, not the best profession for a couple of alcoholics. I remember Dad brining me in a few times. I was under 10 so don’t remember much about it.
    Meath street, beside engine alley, worked beside it in 1970.
    One of my first pints in it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Irish Times claimed the licence from the Premier was moved to South William Street at some stage in the 1990s; doens't specify a venue but there were a few new pubs there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

Don’t know if it was mentioned already , but does anyone recall Rumpoles on parliament at ?? Nice joint at the time !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Went in to Mother Kellys sort-of by mistake looking for someone showing a Championship match - was in Brew Dock and Graingers was closed (though I'm not sure they even show matches now)

Absolutely mental event.

Was two of us so got two pints when we went in. Went up for my second - the other lad didn't want another - but by the time I got to the bar there were two poured for us. Had to give hand signals from the queue the next time lest we end up with a total backlog.

One bar woman keeping the entire shop going, even though its really too big for that.

Lad was going around trying to sell bottles of Smirnoff from an unknown source, saying he was just out of the 'joy and needed the cash. Was ordered from behind the bar to sit down and shut up; which he did

Jacks were half an inch deep in "water"

I didn't go back!

I used to drink in the strand house at the five lamps the odd time. I nicknamed it the North strand shopping centre.
    You could get 'anything' in there. A security guard from a nearby tesco used to sell the meat he stole, he went by the name of rashers.
    I could be here all night with stories from that pub

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Conway's licence is valid and renewed for this year with Dublin Central GP Limited as the licence holder. This is a Hammerson company.

Hammerson in financial trouble recently from what I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

The lads were caught drinking in it two weeks ago. Ex Lord Mayor Niall Ring was one of the few caught on a Friday evening but he owns the office next door and by the time the garda got into the ref all the lads were drinking a bottle in his office. Reasonable doubt. I believe they got away with it. This ex Lord Mayor likes a drink or ten. He racked up massive bills for alcohol in the Mansion House where half the North Inner City were wined and wined. Gas man.

"Gas man" you say.

No, he's a chancer of the highest /lowest order, a poor man's Bertie Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyone remember the ChinaMan on Golden Lane.

Mad place altogether. I worked nearby and it was a weird, strange place, but it didn't stop me from going either. Mad craic sometimes.

https://www.dublincity.ie/image/libraries/102-chinaman

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mad place altogether. I worked nearby and it was a weird, strange place, but it didn't stop me from going either. Mad craic sometimes.

A legendary pub!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

The first and last time I was in The Chinaman was the night Ireland beat Romania in the penalty shoot out in Italia90. I was working at a big EU meeting next door in Dublin Castle.

I used to go there to get hash when I was 16 or 17 :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I went to go there with a slightly older bold friend once when I was 15, but it was closed for some reason. I was so relieved, but had to be all like "Ah bollox" to seem cool.
    I remember people used to call it "The Old Chinaman", or was that a different place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The old chinaman was the name of the pub, or was it "auld". Memory could be playing tricks! I recall it as a place you could get a late drink round late 80s/early to mid 90s without going to a club. Which wasnt an easy thing to find then. Chicago pizza pie place on the green was another and there was a place on parliament st, across from porterhouse too, but forget name of that one.

I remember they had a big mural painted on a wall of Deko Dachau (a Dublin punk guy who has been around forever). I think they put on gigs downstairs? I didn't go to any of them.

If there was a downstairs. I remember there was a pool table up above. And I remember a burly looking barman with loads of tattoos (this would have been the late 80's/ early 90's, when tattoos weren't as common place as they are now. He didn't seem like a man to be fúcked with, by his appearance anyway!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

there was a place on parliament st, across from porterhouse too, but forget name of that one.
    Isolde's Tower? Latterly The Czech Inn and now Lundy Foot's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The old chinaman was the name of the pub, or was it "auld". Memory could be playing tricks! I recall it as a place you could get a late drink round late 80s/early to mid 90s without going to a club. Which wasnt an easy thing to find then. Chicago pizza pie place on the green was another and there was a place on parliament st, across from porterhouse too, but forget name of that one.

Turk's head?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

MOH wrote: »
    Turk's head?

It's the one mentioned above, Isoldes Tower. I dont actually recall the name at all but it's definitely the spot i went for a late drink a few times. Looking at pics the exterior doesnt appear to have changed all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

When I was trying to think of the story, the Chinaman first came into my head but I think it was actually Mulligan's on Hill Street (which also had punk gigs in the early 1990s) where Scottish band Oi Polloi were playing and a fight broke out between two Traveller families in the bar downstairs. The story goes that one fella left the pub, broke into a van parked outside which belonged to the rival family, set it on fire and rolled the down the hill straight at the pub!

1968 wrote: »
    When I was trying to think of the story, the Chinaman first came into my head but I think it was actually Mulligan's on Hill Street (which also had punk gigs in the early 1990s) where Scottish band Oi Polloi were playing and a fight broke out between two Traveller families in the bar downstairs. The story goes that one fella left the pub, broke into a van parked outside which belonged to the rival family, set it on fire and rolled the down the hill straight at the pub!

My memory is a bit hazy on the name. It was opposite Stoney's on Hill Street? They used to put on punk gigs there. It was called something like the Fox and Rabbit, except in the Irish translation, at some stage?
    Anyway, what I do remember is it closed down. I was walking by it one sunny afternoon, about 2 o'clock I guess. The lads from the flats across the road had broken in to it and were passing out crates of beer along a chain of people in a line across the road and back in to the flats. In broad daylight. There was a couple of the Stoney's regulars standing outside the pub watching it going on. I had to smile about it all. This was early 2000's, maybe 2002. True story.

• Advertisement

My memory is a bit hazy on the name. It was opposite Stoney's on Hill Street? They used to put on punk gigs there. It was called something like the Fox and Rabbit, except in the Irish translation, at some stage?
    Anyway, what I do remember is it closed down. I was walking by it one sunny afternoon, about 2 o'clock I guess. The lads from the flats across the road had broken in to it and were passing out crates of beer along a chain of people in a line across the road and back in to the flats. In broad daylight. There was a couple of the Stoney's regulars standing outside the pub watching it going on. I had to smile about it all. This was early 2000's, maybe 2002. True story.

I knew a guy who hung out there, amongst other places, called Dave. Also known as Acid Dave, Roadhouse Dave, and Dodgy Dave. Never figured out where the Roadhouse Dave name came from :)

Advertisement