Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

L1011 wrote: »
    Around the corner the Lark Inn's signage is down.

I took a seat at the bar there, with an empty seat between me and the next customer.

Later, my friend arrived, and moved to take the empty seat.

The customer frisked my friend, as he wanted to check he wasn't an undercover Garda.

He subsequently explained he is related to both the Hutch and Kinahan families.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

roycon111 wrote: »

LOL, I remember the weird graffiti fad back then of putting arrows on the end of the letter Y.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Any news on pubs closing for good because of pandemic/restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Cienciano wrote: »
    LOL, I remember the weird graffiti fad back then of putting arrows on the end of the letter Y.

Came from The Who, Was a Mod thing, any letter you could stick an arrow on was cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

anncoates wrote: »
    The New Inn

Bartley Dunnes (Break for the border now roughly on the site)

William Tell (Hairy Lemon now on the site)

The Falcon Inn (Bleeding Horse now on the site although I think it was also called that pre-Falcon)

Bartley Dunnes used to do a savage salad roll, the size of a submarine. :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any news on pubs closing for good because of pandemic/restrictions?

Handful so far. Donaghmede Inn, Bakers Thomas Street, Queens in Dalkey, McCanns, Cardiff Inn, Pimlico Tavern

I'd expect most of those to reopen with new operators when its all blown over, could be quite some time though. Queens is probably going to be redeveloped and the Pimlico Tavern's goodbye post implied that its going to be converted to another use; however it being D8 it could just be a restaurant bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Handful so far. Donaghmede Inn, Bakers Thomas Street, Queens in Dalkey, McCanns, Cardiff Inn, Pimlico Tavern

I'd expect most of those to reopen with new operators when its all blown over, could be quite some time though. Queens is probably going to be redeveloped and the Pimlico Tavern's goodbye post implied that its going to be converted to another use; however it being D8 it could just be a restaurant bar!

The Pimlico Tavern has risen from the dead a few times. I wouldn't write it off yet!

That is good news! Was concerned there would be a wipeout, but not too bad so far.

Is there a reason many pubs that are open now, are only open 3-4 days a week with reduced hours? Is it something to do with the Wage subsidy scheme. I'm back down the country at the moment but the few pubs here that have been open the past few months are only opening from Thurs/Fri to Sunday at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lack of business - not down to the subsidy scheme. And its happening in Dublin too, the pub near my office is Wednesday-Sunday only currently. They tried full operation for the first two weeks or so and had staff paid to come in to stare at the wall Monday/Tuesday.

The drop-in-for-a-pint customers that kept the lights on early in the week aren't going in for dinner. Some will be back when the €9 rule is dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

rumours locally that the cardiff will be developed into apartments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I service vending machines in pubs. Had 50 sites before all this, around Dublin. Currently only 25 open now. And it's not looking good for the rest of them.

Hynes, formerly The Bannerman, in Stoneybatter is gone. Apartments.

Hynes was up for sale for redevelopment last year, no planning in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Hynes was up for sale for redevelopment last year, no planning in yet.

Glad I get into that one, unusual in it having a snooker room at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Glad I get into that one, unusual in it having a snooker room at the front.

I have spent the last 15years saying I must pop in. I even lived in Stoneybatter back in 2011, and got too hung up on having O'Gara's as my local to go anywhere else.

Sake. That's my own fault.

I've been to 596* different pubs in Dublin and didn't make it in there, so don't be too hard on yourself!

*using licence number counting. Take out some duplicates and add in places that have closed and its more like 610

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Given a similar proclivity to yourself it's just bad pub attendance management.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Presume with the Donaghmede Inn gone leaves no pub around for a massive catchment area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Presume with the Donaghmede Inn gone leaves no pub around for a massive catchment area?

Nearest Pubs are now
    Madigan's in Kilbarrack
    Foxhound in Greendale
    Raccecourse in Baldoyle
    Or The various pubs in Raheny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The Master wrote:
    Nearest Pubs are now Madigan's in Kilbarrack Foxhound in Greendale Raccecourse in Baldoyle Or The various pubs in Raheny

I heard the foxhound is not opening either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is Mother Kelly's still going? Great memories of one of my first times in Dublin being advised to leave by barman as some of the locals were planning to attack me as I was a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is Mother Kelly's still going? Great memories of one of my first times in Dublin being advised to leave by barman as some of the locals were planning to attack me as I was a stranger.

It’s called something else now but still there. The 72 I think. Whatever the address is presumably?

74 Talbot.

Tried to shed its clientele.

Didn't work - Molloys had just had a high quality refit and didn't want them! So its basically just Mother Kellys with nicer furniture now. I don't know if there's still an inch of piss on the jacks floors.

The unserved area around Donaghmede is the second biggest built up area with no pubs, after the UCD desert - but UCD has student bars that aren't pubs of course. When the last bar in Ballymun was closed for a while it was a bigger area of nothingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

The Rivermount in Finglas. Traveller pub. No windows. Back in the 90s one fella was near decapitated in a fight.

Blacks on Talbot street, now The Celt. Can't remember it's real name. Jim the barman serving nearly sanitary ham and cheese sambos. Toilets stank but we didn't mind for some reason. Irish life crowd were always in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

dresden8 wrote:
    The Rivermount in Finglas. Traveller pub. No windows. Back in the 90s one fella was near decapitated in a fight.

The rivermount. Jesus that was one rough shop.

74 Talbot.

Tried to shed its clientele.

Didn't work - Molloys had just had a high quality refit and didn't want them! So its basically just Mother Kellys with nicer furniture now. I don't know if there's still an inch of piss on the jacks floors.

The unserved area around Donaghmede is the second biggest built up area with no pubs, after the UCD desert - but UCD has student bars that aren't pubs of course. When the last bar in Ballymun was closed for a while it was a bigger area of nothingness.

What pub is there in Ballymun now? There is nothing in Santry area AFAIK. Lot of apartments there nearby too, potential customers.

The latest shutdown of food pubs for 3 weeks and continued shutting of normal pubs won't help the business. Hopefully most hang in there and reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

dresden8 wrote: »

Charming.

I always thought the Barry house was the rough place in Finglas. It seems I was mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Get Real

What pub is there in Ballymun now? There is nothing in Santry area AFAIK. Lot of apartments there nearby too, potential customers.

Presume it's the Metzo Lounge. Just under the Travel Lodge/ Apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Get Real wrote: »
    Presume it's the Metzo Lounge. Just under the Travel Lodge/ Apartments.

That is some spot...was in there once when friends not familiar with dublin booked into that hotel. Place was full of local lunatics and confused looking tourists

Advertisement