Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Mcdaids on Harry St do something similar. They have Established 1779. Now technically that's correct, as there has been a building on that site since 1779. But its only been a pub for about 150 years or so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

It's hard to imagine people sipping beer and spirits in the Brazen Head back in 1198. Wonder what the clientelle was like. Or the dress code? Did they shut up shop for a couple of hours during the day? What were the toilets like? Or bit of music? Anyone got any pictures? :)

It's hard to imagine people sipping beer and spirits in the Brazen Head back in 1198. Wonder what the clientelle was like. Or the dress code? Did they shut up shop for a couple of hours during the day? What were the toilets like? Or bit of music? Anyone got any pictures? :)

Its probably the case that there has been a building on that site since 1198.

But we can be pretty sure of two things; A: it was always a pub & B: its not the same building

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

Great article on the Depeche Mode photo i posted a few months back in the Hill16 pub for anyone who hasn't seen it. From the always great (if a little bit twee) Dublin by pub

https://www.dublinbypub.ie/news/blog/jack-charlton-depeche-mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

roycon111 wrote: »
    Great article on the Depeche Mode photo i posted a few months back in the Hill16 pub for anyone who hasn't seen it. From the always great (if a little bit twee) Dublin by pub

https://www.dublinbypub.ie/news/blog/jack-charlton-depeche-mode
    I've just had a big penny drop.

I now remember the 'little old dear' from when I lived on Mountjoy Square. The Jack Charlton connection is a bit ironic as she was the only living soul on the street during that day during Italia 90 in a surreal deserted city scene like from The Twilight Zone where she was the only creature or machine stirring.

• Advertisement

ShyMets wrote: »
    Its probably the case that there has been a building on that site since 1198.

But we can be pretty sure of two things; A: it was always a pub & B: its not the same building
    What is the oldest building continuously occupied as a pub in Dublin? Does anyone know?

It just might be the Brazen Head, built 1754. which does seem to have operated continuously since then.

Obviously 1198 is pure fantasy, as (I suspect) is their claim to have accommodated Robert Emmet, and later, Michael Collins, as they planned for revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

The Vikings were big on Aurora Borealis, and there was a weak but quaint attempt at an early led light scheme. The original owner was from an old Viking settler family. The Anglo-Norman/Irish couple that bought him out later added the little barrels that later transmogrified into the coffee tables that Irish pubs became known for in later times. The led lights were simply jars filled with fireflies strung over the bar. That little feature had everything to do with the fact the place became the best pick up joint after the bog that later became known as the Phoenix Park.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What is the oldest building continuously occupied as a pub in Dublin? Does anyone know?

It just might be the Brazen Head, built 1754. which does seem to have operated continuously since then.

Obviously 1198 is pure fantasy, as (I suspect) is their claim to have accommodated Robert Emmet, and later, Michael Collins, as they planned for revolution.

With the volume of the core city removed by the Wide Streets Commission post 1758; there's really not a lot of older non-ecclesiastical or administrative buildings left in the core. And I don't think any of the 1600s Aungier or Thomas Street buildings were pubs, or more accurately, still are in the case of at least of the old Thomas Street ones. The shortly to be opened "Johns" on Thomas Street is on the site of a 17th century pub but it hasn't been a pub for centuries either.

Its possible that some of the County Dublin village pubs are older. The Blue Light claims to be "300" for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

L1011 wrote: »
    Its possible that some of the County Dublin village pubs are older. The Blue Light claims to be "300" for instance.

Man O'War and The Balrothery Inn claim over 400 years in existence. Way off topic but interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Man O'War and The Balrothery Inn claim over 400 years in existence. Way off topic but interesting.

It is said that Christ himself used to visit Sean's bar in Athlone, after mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Haven't been around there in ages but grew up nearby (Ballyboden) thought that place would be there forever.

Just an update - it's now a funeral home that looks strangely like a cafe or interior design studio from the outside.

https://i.prcdn.co/img?regionKey=2QX02VKVMuURZriAYjI8Nw%3D%3D

With the volume of the core city removed by the Wide Streets Commission post 1758; there's really not a lot of older non-ecclesiastical or administrative buildings left in the core. And I don't think any of the 1600s Aungier or Thomas Street buildings were pubs, or more accurately, still are in the case of at least of the old Thomas Street ones. The shortly to be opened "Johns" on Thomas Street is on the site of a 17th century pub but it hasn't been a pub for centuries either.

The Mullingar House in Chapelizod claims to have established in the mid 1600's. Which is plausible as it was once a coach house and Inn

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ShyMets wrote: »
    The Mullingar House in Chapelizod claims to have established in the mid 1600's. Which is plausible as it was once a coach house and Inn

NIAH says no to either the building age or the continuous use, though; albeit its not always 100% accurate

https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/50060641/mullingar-house-main-street-chapelizod-dublin-20-dublin-city

There really aren't that many 17th century or earlier non church/admin buildings around; cause they were built out of wood mostly. Brick started being heavily used in the mid/late 17th century in Dublin so those are the bulk of the oldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

How about the boot Inn at the back of the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

tabbey wrote: »
    How about the boot Inn at the back of the airport?

1593 apparently. Beats the Man O'War by two years if all claims can be proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

O'Shea's aka The Merchant on the Quays looks like it may be closed down or just getting a very deep clean...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,867 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

O'Shea's aka The Merchant on the Quays looks like it may be closed down or just getting a very deep clean...

It’s a bit of an institution so hopefully just a deep clean. Nothing of their social media that would in anyway suggest its closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

Saw that Bakers on Thomas Street is not reopening. More a lical pub than a famous pub. Close enough to work though so had a few pints there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,867 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So did I... always a nice spot for pre vicar st drinks... a really nice old school boozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Clon63 wrote: »
    Saw that Bakers on Thomas Street is not reopening. More a lical pub than a famous pub. Close enough to work though so had a few pints there.

That's a shame. Was my grandad's local along with the Clock up until he died in 97, well, til 94 before he got really sick.

Shame to see it go.

I dread that Tom Kennedy's might go the same way.

• Advertisement

Kennedy's and the Clock are both open as it stands; so I'd expect they'll be OK

Around the corner the Lark Inn's signage is down.

Kennedy's and the Clock are both open as it stands; so I'd expect they'll be OK

Around the corner the Lark Inn's signage is down.

I haven't dandered near town at all since April really. Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Rodgers on Thomas St. Across the lane from Vicar St. Was owned by two mad old brothers (1980s) who only opened when they felt like it!

Used to go in the odd time when working on street. One time, the chap who was with me copped on that one of the brothers was topping his pint up out of the cold tap!

When he complained we were thrown out.

O'Reillys/The Limelight further up the street near Guinnesses was another mad shop, also owned by two brothers from Cavan. Used to be good spot until they got a pool table and load of dirtballs moved in. Thomas Street had a lot of good pubs until numbers working around the place dropped - Winstanleys, Irish distillers etc. Thomas House was great music venue in 80s. Long before current place of same name.

Sackville has gone again. Statement on their website

Sackville has gone again. Statement on their website

Sake.

That's bad news. Was delighted with it reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

[quote="Bonniedog;114223933". One time, the chap who was with me copped on that one of the brothers was topping his pint up out of the cold tap!

When he complained we were thrown out.
    [/quote]

I hope you mentioned it when their licence was up for renewal or at least reported it to the environmental health officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

tabbey wrote: »
    I hope you mentioned it when their licence was up for renewal or at least reported it to the environmental health officer.

Of course I did ;)

As for the license, I think - not 100% on this - that Vicar St. bought the old pub and that's where they got their license.

Haven't been up Thomas St. in years but seem to recall hearing that Lynch's was gone. Used to be called the "Gunman's". And apparently that was connected not to anything recently but to arms dump Robert Emmet had on the premises in 1803! That was a real nice old pub. Building must have been hundreds of years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Is that not a direct provision Centre these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

doughef wrote: »
    Is that not a direct provision Centre these days?

The accommodation upstairs I think, not the bar itself.

• Advertisement

New owners of the Sackville (same directors as Mulligan and Haines on Dame Street) have said they'll reopen it

Advertisement