Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

That's great news. We'll probably see the 'I have a phone so I don't need an app' people come out of the works now delighted with this update.

One step closer to being able to put my PS4 out to pasture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Inviere

Pac1Man wrote: »
    We'll probably see the 'I have a phone so I don't need an app' people come out of the works now delighted with this update.

I had the same thought myself. It’s mad to think there are people who defended not having Youtube, Netflix, etc, in the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Inviere wrote: »
    I had the same thought myself. It’s mad to think there are people who defended not having Youtube, Netflix, etc, in the Switch.

More of a shrugging of the shoulders than defending anyone in my case anyway. Youtube or Netflix are on my phone, my tablet, my TV, my laptop, my chromebook etc. etc. so I have no need for it on my Switch.

But I'm sure I'll download it on the Switch, and I'm sure it'll get as much use as it does on my Vita and Wii U. None.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

That's great news. We'll probably see the 'I have a phone so I don't need an app' people come out of the works now delighted with this update.
    Inviere wrote: »

I think it's just a case of different people wanting different things from their devices. For me, the lack of YouTube/Netflix/browser is just inconsequential; I have no need for them on any of my consoles. Is it convenient? Definitely. Is it necessary? Definitely not.

Don't get me wrong, I can see how others would prefer to have it... maybe it's an age thing? I grew up playing a SNES, literally just plug the damn thing in and off you go. When I picked up the controller, it was to play games. I often wish things were that straight forward now. <Insert "Old Man Yells At Cloud">
    One step closer to being able to put my PS4 out to pasture.
    Really?

If I had to choose a console to sell, the PS4 would get the chop... but I'd feel pretty bad leaving Kratos, Aloy and Joel behind. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Really?

If I had to choose a console to sell, the PS4 would get the chop... but I'd feel pretty bad leaving Kratos, Aloy and Joel behind. :P

This year's Kratos was amazing, this generation's The Last Of Us until TLO2 comes out. Hopefully the sequel lives up to it's predecessor. HZD is one of this generation's most overrated games. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion. The inevitability of backwards compatibility from next gen consoles eases the burden of setting the PS4 aside.

I posted a few days ago stating how uninspired I felt about the Switch, but I now retract that statement. Using it for the past few days reminded me how engrossed you can get using a handheld device without being distracted by anything in your periphery. My only gripe is the price of games.

Having YouTube & Netflix is a big deal regardless of what some may have you believe. The ease of simply pressing the Home button and jumping into one of those apps without having to turn off the Switch and then turning on another device shouldn't be understated. It may sound like a simple 'problem' to have but when you use a single device for months or years, those initially small negatives grow over time.

• Advertisement

More of a shrugging of the shoulders than defending anyone in my case anyway. Youtube or Netflix are on my phone, my tablet, my TV, my laptop, my chromebook etc. etc. so I have no need for it on my Switch.

But I'm sure I'll download it on the Switch, and I'm sure it'll get as much use as it does on my Vita and Wii U. None.

It was a typically bizarre Nintendo decision to force people who do want those features, to power off their Switch and use another device. I mean a simple YouTube app, it’s something that was natively available on the Wii for god sake. Nintendo do have a completely backward perspective on YouTube, Twitch and the likes, so it’s hardly surprising. Can’t be having people viewing games online, they might not buy them then...

I asked Mrs Wilfinity what she thought, to get the opinion of a non-gamer.

"It'd be cool if it had Facebook."

giphy.gif

I asked Mrs Wilfinity what she thought, to get the opinion of a non-gamer.

"It'd be cool if it had Facebook."

giphy.gif

Lol, probably one thing we can all agree on that it’s better off without :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The PS4 is the perfect companion device to the Switch.
    Pretty much got everything covered with those two consoles, from portable gaming to VR.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Pretty much got everything covered with those two consoles, from portable gaming to VR.

*cough*

Backwards compatibility

*cough cough*

:pac:

• Advertisement

You spelled PC wrong Cidey.

Another thing occurred to me about this potential YouTube app... would it require a Switch Online subscription?

I know for both Xbox One and PS4, you don't need an online subscription for any streaming. (You used to, but MicroSoft and Sony dropped that requirement.)

I know it's all hypothetical, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nintendo have that restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

That's very doubtful. Even free to play games don't require a sub on Switch so I'd have no doubt that any media apps won't require it either.

That's very doubtful. Even free to play games don't require a sub on Switch so I'd have no doubt that any media apps won't require it either.

Hmmm.... that's a good point. You could be right. (I hope you're right.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The more I'm reading about the upcoming Virtua Racing on the Switch from Sega the more excited I become!
    And, they are talking of a multiplayer mode, which suggests it'll also have the Virtua Formula mode four up to eight players... Only speculation on my part, but could be cool.
    It will be interesting to see if it's an arcade port or if they take some of the enhancements from the Saturn/32X versions and include them as well.

No reason why the Switch can't go on to host Sega Model 2 games either, like Daytona, Virtua Fighter 2 or Virtual On.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'd love some Daytona

Road Redemption is pretty fun, got it for €16 on the SA eshop.
    Not a patch on Road Rash on the 3DO but still worth t few shillings.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

GRIP is great btw.

GRIP is great btw.

I was a huge fan of both of the Rollcage titles back in the day, still own my copies too.
    Grip is a straight up homage to same, so I'll definitely pick it up.
    I wonder if it'll get a form of physical release?
    Edit .. just found it on Amazon!
    Might wait for a price drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Went in to buy Diablo 3 for my Switch and came back out with this......

in my defense, I had tried to pre order ages ago but they said they wouldn't be getting it in.

Im actually really looking forward to playing Diablo on the Switch despite having it on other platforms i think it's going to shine on the switch for me :D

9427AaV.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I was a huge fan of both of the Rollcage titles back in the day, still own my copies too.
    Grip is a straight up homage to same, so I'll definitely pick it up.
    I wonder if it'll get a form of physical release?
    Edit .. just found it on Amazon!
    Might wait for a price drop!

It's free on Game Pass if you have that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Pre ordered Lets go Pikachu for one of my sons xmas presents.....sure if he doesnt want it I guess ill just have to play it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Hi Lads - looking for a bit of advice please.

Any recommendations for a decent set of gaming headphones suitable for the Switch?

The young lad mostly plays Fortnite and Splatoon with mates and wants a set of over-ear headphones with a boom mic. Dont have to be wireless.

I'll spend around €80.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

BPKS wrote: »
    Hi Lads - looking for a bit of advice please.

Any recommendations for a decent set of gaming headphones suitable for the Switch?

The young lad mostly plays Fortnite and Splatoon with mates and wants a set of over-ear headphones with a boom mic. Dont have to be wireless.

I'll spend around €80.

Thanks in advance.

I picked up these SteelSeries Arctis 3 ones the other day, reviews suggest they're good for the price, will do for the kids anyway. Down from €75 to €40, stock a bit scarce though.

http://checkargos.com/product/8647070

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Took my switch out of the dock and packed it to take on a trip on Wednesday night. Took it out last night on the journey to find it dead with the low battery sign on the top left. Plugged it in this morning in hotel and after 30 min its still showing the low battery charge and wont turn on. Any of ye have this happen before?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

magnumbud wrote: »
    Took my switch out of the dock and packed it to take on a trip on Wednesday night. Took it out last night on the journey to find it dead with the low battery sign on the top left. Plugged it in this morning in hotel and after 30 min its still showing the low battery charge and wont turn on. Any of ye have this happen before?

I've had it go dead and seem unresponsive to charging for an inordinately long time before - maybe try ride it out for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

magnumbud wrote: »

Did you plug it in with the proper charger, or a basic USB phone charger type one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Its was a power brick. Eventually got charged took a bit longer to be responsive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Apparently the 6.2.0 update manages to catch thehardware exploit that meant tge Switch was hackable, brings a totally new bootloader (i think, maybe the wrong word) and burns one of the update fuses so you cantgo back down after updating either.

Theyve patched the exploit basically, which is great news

Didnt even know you could patch hardware problems with software but here we are, makes it all the more impressive

Advertisement