Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Cup 2014/2015 *mod warning post 1*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Michaels beat rock 15-14 on Saturday. Huge crowd, great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ZagaZaga

funtime93 wrote: »
    Michaels beat rock 15-14 on Saturday. Huge crowd, great game.

any idea on blackrocks starting team?

Micheals
    1. Robert Duffy
    2. Gavin Barrett
    3. Rory Mulvihill
    4. Oisin Dowling
    5. James Ryan
    6. Barry Fitzpatrick
    7. Gavin Croke
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Dave Duggan
    10. Robin Cosgrave
    11. Tom Molony
    12. Oisin O'Meara
    13. Jack Kelly
    14. James Hickey
    15. Micheal Heaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Munster Cup draws made tonight

St. Clements v Bandon and winner plays Glenstal
    Schools Senior Cup 2014-15 (to take place on 27/28/29 Jan)
    St Munchins v Ard Scoil Ris, PBC Cork v Rockwell, Crescent Comp v CBC Cork, Winners of the Qualifier v Castletroy College.

St Clements v Bandon and winner plays Rockwell
    Schools Junior Cup 14-15 (to take place on 3/4/5 Feb)
    Crescent Comp v Glenstal, CBC Cork v Winners of Qualifier, St Munchins v Ard Scoil Ris, PBC Cork v Castletroy College.

Barry Cup’14-15
    A St Munchins College v CBC Cork (10/12/14), Winner A v PBC Cork
    Final - Limerick

Kidney Cup 14-15
    A Castletroy College v Ard Scoil Ris (10/12/14)
    Semi-Final PBC Cork v CBC Cork, Winners A v Crescent CC.
    Final - Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭otbrugby

Seen these on twitter.

Leinster JCT League Semifinals tomorrow:
    Gonzaga vs Roscrea
    Kings Hospital vs Castleknock

Leinster SCT League Quarterfinals tomorrow:
    1. CUS vs Wesley
    2. Roscrea vs CBC
    3. Gonzaga vs St. Andrews
    4. Newbridge vs Kilkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Clements beat bandon grammar in both senior and junior cups so will he going through. Seniors face glenstal next round I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

Any chance of a separate thread for the Leinster school's cup?

Putinovsky wrote: »
    Why not simply discuss the cups here?

Any results from the qf league games played today?
    @Risteard good wins for Clements. Limerick underage still a mess but getting their act together in some ways. Hopefully the clubs can get some more strong teams competing at tail end of youths competitions. Young Munster and Waterpark have u16s sides as good as any ive seen in a long time and would put it up to any side at 16s/Junior Cup level. Many of YMs players will be playing JC for schools across Limerick

why there is barely any talk about it?

Why not simply discuss the cups here?

Any results from the qf league games played today?
    @Risteard good wins for Clements. Limerick underage still a mess but getting their act together in some ways. Hopefully the clubs can get some more strong teams competing at tail end of youths competitions. Young Munster and Waterpark have u16s sides as good as any ive seen in a long time and would put it up to any side at 16s/Junior Cup level. Many of YMs players will be playing JC for schools across Limerick

Clements best chance I think. They've been doing well since first year beating a number of A schools. There's a gym in the school now so I'd imagine there's plenty of opportunity to develop physically. Heard they were training during the summer as well. Would be good to have a new school break in but you have to hark back to Foley's comments earlier if the spread of talent in Limerick is too thin. (albeit that was in relation to senior clubs rather than schools)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

otbrugby wrote: »
    why there is barely any talk about it?

Not yet but once it kicks off there will be. It's just annoying trying to traverse through this thread and reading what's relevant to the Leinster cup and whats not. I reckon the Leinster cup could justify its own thread whereas the other cups dont generate the same discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Not yet but once it kicks off there will be. It's just annoying trying to traverse through this thread and reading what's relevant to the Leinster cup and whats not. I reckon the Leinster cup could justify its own thread whereas the other cups dont generate the same discussion.

As you say, the other cups don't generate the same discussion. Certainly not enough discussion to each have their own thread or to stay close to the front of the forum, so when people from the other 3 provinces want to discuss them they have to traverse through the forum or just post in their respective provincial threads. Having a shared schools thread at least gives such people somewhere to discuss the other cups, however limited that discussion may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Yeah the Leinster schools definitely generates much more discussion than the others, with a lot of regular posters being from the big rugby schools in Leinster, Michaels, Terenure, Rock, Belvo, Clongowes etc. Think I've seen a few from Roscrea too and because of the prestige the competition has here there's more interest amongst them and so a disproportionate amount of discussion from those posters. Probably warrants own thread but that's just my 2c.

Risteard wrote: »
    Clements best chance I think. They've been doing well since first year beating a number of A schools. There's a gym in the school now so I'd imagine there's plenty of opportunity to develop physically. Heard they were training during the summer as well. Would be good to have a new school break in but you have to hark back to Foley's comments earlier if the spread of talent in Limerick is too thin. (albeit that was in relation to senior clubs rather than schools)
    They'll do ok in the cup if they make it but wont go far and IMO, despite not having seen them play wont win it. They wont become an A school and Limerick doesn't need another one.
    If the schools cup is to expand in Munster it should look to having combined sides from areas without very strong rugby schools competing like a "Waterford Schools", "South Tipperary Schools", "Kerry Schools" etc
    Its not that much of an issue and the other competitions will still be of interest to others and will get more discussion if all is discussed in one thread
    All the top schools from each of the provinces play each other prior to the cups so that can all be discussed in one thread.
    Hagz wrote: »
    As you say, the other cups don't generate the same discussion. Certainly not enough discussion to each have their own thread or to stay close to the front of the forum, so when people from the other 3 provinces want to discuss them they have to traverse through the forum or just post in their respective provincial threads. Having a shared schools thread at least gives such people somewhere to discuss the other cups, however limited that discussion may be.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Leinster league junior final will be Castleknock v Roscrea.
    And senior semi finals are Newbridge v Wesley and Roscrea v Gonzaga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Does anyone have any more info in Rock Michaels as I only heard rumours and snippets.
    Michaels close to full strength and Rock down a few from what I heard? Would be odd with michaels being strong favourites.
    Rock had something like 14 non 6th years in the matchday squad? Seems very very high. Can anyone clear it up and give a bit more?

• Advertisement

I dont expect Rock to have many 6th years in their squad this year, that year wasn't very good at JCT level and their 4th/5th years classes both won the cup at JCT level. They will be relying on a lot of players from those years if they are going to make a serious run at the cup, which is certainly possible as they did somewhat similarly two years ago with Timoney et al.

Michaels were very close to being full strength, this is the second time they've beat rock this year as they also defeated them in a close 3-0 win at the clongowes festival. Michaels remain favourites but they arent as talented 1-15 as they were two years ago and maybe not as talented as last year either. Both sides were knocked out by Rock.

They'd be my two favourites for the cup with Belvo being close to them too. Can't see any other side making a strong run at it, maybe Roscrea. But the top 3 teams IMO are clearly Michaels, Rock and Belvo.

Michaels were very close to being full strength, this is the second time they've beat rock this year as they also defeated them in a close 3-0 win at the clongowes festival. Michaels remain favourites but they arent as talented 1-15 as they were two years ago and maybe not as talented as last year either.

Definitely more talented than last year, this 6th year are the best crop to come through the school IMO. James Ryan, unless injured, looks like he'll go on to be an international second row. One of the best players I've seen play schools rugby.

The coach Brian O Meara has them playing horrible rugby now though, which is a real shame considering how good they are. Nonetheless it's their cup to lose. Newbridge made the JC final in that year, any word on how their team is looking? Thought back then anyway they were pretty handy just a little lightweight.

Definitely more talented than last year, this 6th year are the best crop to come through the school IMO. James Ryan, unless injured, looks like he'll go on to be an international second row. One of the best players I've seen play schools rugby.

The coach Brian O Meara has them playing horrible rugby now though, which is a real shame considering how good they are. Nonetheless it's their cup to lose. Newbridge made the JC final in that year, any word on how their team is looking? Thought back then anyway they were pretty handy just a little lightweight.

This years 6th year class is better than last years 6th year class but as a team id rather have last years team who had Ryan/Deegan/Duggan/OMeara etc. with Gilsenan, Cregan, Penny & Leavy than this years team whose 5th year group is decent talent wise(Dowling/Kelly/Fitzpatrick) but not great.

And I dunno if this year 6th years are better than two years ago who had Molony/Murphy/McCarthy/Bryne/Kelleher/Coulson.. 5 of which are pro rugby players and Murphy could still yet join them.

This years 6th year class is better than last years 6th year class but as a team id rather have last years team who had Ryan/Deegan/Duggan/OMeara etc. with Gilsenan, Cregan, Penny & Leavy than this years team whose 5th year group is decent talent wise(Dowling/Kelly/Fitzpatrick) but not great.

True they did have possibly a better unit when you include the 5th and 6th years as a group, but a year is a huge difference in schools rugby and ideally you want your 6th years to be the stars of the team, which wasn't quite the case last year. Likes of Deegan and O Meara have had another year to bulk and grow, I just see a lot of star power in the squad that will be tough to stop. Very strong pack, Ronan Kelleher is a very good player too from the 5th years. Think he started the cup matches last year as a 4th year.

That said I only really know about Michaels and blackrock this year so going by JC trends Belvo could have a nice team too.

True they did have possibly a better unit when you include the 5th and 6th years as a group, but a year is a huge difference in schools rugby and ideally you want your 6th years to be the stars of the team, which wasn't quite the case last year. Likes of Deegan and O Meara have had another year to bulk and grow, I just see a lot of star power in the squad that will be tough to stop. Very strong pack, Ronan Kelleher is a very good player too from the 5th years. Think he started the cup matches last year as a 4th year.

That said I only really know about Michaels and blackrock this year so going by JC trends Belvo could have a nice team too.

Kelleher is injured as far as i know. I'm not disagreeing on Michaels being favourites. Although they do have a mental block with rock I feel, though this might finally be the year they can overcome it. And you very right about Ryan who looks to have everything you need for the next level.

Newbridge are decent this year but nothing great from what i've heard they beat Kilkenny 6-0 today. Andrews might make another run if the draw is kind to them again.

Not really sure what Rock will look like come cup time - they could be very young with the odd 6th year. Also I dont think theyve gone and poached any youths this year, although im not 100% sure.

The best team in the league is either Roscrea or Andrews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

Also I dont think theyve gone and poached any youths this year, although im not 100% sure.

I know they've "recruited" two players this seasons. One fella from Castleknock, gone into 6th year having played 2 years of Senior Cup rugby with Castleknock. They from the club scene, they got a lad from Skerries who played Ireland clubs. Gone into 5th year (I think).

Snegg wrote: »
    I know they've "recruited" two players this seasons. One fella from Castleknock, gone into 6th year having played 2 years of Senior Cup rugby with Castleknock. They from the club scene, they got a lad from Skerries who played Ireland clubs. Gone into 5th year (I think).

Frawley? I had that rumour but havent seen him play for them.. wouldnt be the first time a skerries player moved to Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

rughug wrote: »
    Leinster league junior final will be Castleknock v Roscrea.
    And senior semi finals are Newbridge v Wesley and Roscrea v Gonzaga.

Roscrea seem to be recruiting into 3rd year now. Gonzaga were meant to be strong this year. Good win for Castleknock, kings hospital were meant to be good this year.

roscrea recruting a lot for sure.. both from connacht and youths.

Why do michaels always field such young teams. Every year there's always loads of 5th years and even 4th years in their team. Last year they had 3 4th years starting and that year were not even that good at J's level. Again this year their 6th years are meant to be excellent yet half their side maybe more will be from other years

funtime93 wrote: »
    Why do michaels always field such young teams. Every year there's always loads of 5th years and even 4th years in their team. Last year they had 3 4th years starting and that year were not even that good at J's level. Again this year their 6th years are meant to be excellent yet half their side maybe more will be from other years

this years team will probably be mostly 6 years.. with a few 5th years..

2 of those 4th years last year ended up playing for leinster under-18 this year, they are obviously just more talented than others.. good to see talent being played and not just picking the less talented but bigger 6th year.

Dont see any problem with playing 5th years.. especially then they are as talented as Ryan and Deegan.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Roscrea seem to be recruiting into 3rd year now. Gonzaga were meant to be strong this year. Good win for Castleknock, kings hospital were meant to be good this year.

Franno, my dear man .Roscrea has 180 students and it is at least 90 minutes by car from any centre of population. Blackrock and

Michaels have in the region of 1100 each.St.Marys. CBC. Gonzaga, Clongowes andmost others have in the region of 500 students each and still you bring up this bull**** about recruiting. We all know who the kings of recruiting are... Loughman, Carberry, Frawley, Kearns, need i say any more.

Franno, my dear man .Roscrea has 180 students and it is at least 90 minutes by car from any centre of population. Blackrock and

Michaels have in the region of 1100 each.St.Marys. CBC. Gonzaga, Clongowes andmost others have in the region of 500 students each and still you bring up this bull**** about recruiting. We all know who the kings of recruiting are... Loughman, Carberry, Frawley, Kearns, need i say any more.

no one is saying rock dont recruit, but so do roscrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

roscrea recruting a lot for sure.. both from connacht and youths.

there's a relationship with Connacht rugby but the players aren't recieving huge scholarships from my understanding. Think its 1-2k off 12-13k fees.

Michaels does not have 1100 students. As has been said just because Rock Terenure Clongowes etc do it does not mean Roscrea do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

How many students in Michaels then?

1500 in Rock
    1100 or so in Terenure
    1000 in Belvo
    550 in Zaga
    380 in Clongowes

Not too sure about the rest

They'll do ok in the cup if they make it but wont go far and IMO, despite not having seen them play wont win it. They wont become an A school and Limerick doesn't need another one.

Oh I didn't mean to win! Just to get to the quarter finals would be something IMO.

1500 in Rock
    1100 or so in Terenure
    1000 in Belvo
    550 in Zaga
    380 in Clongowes

Rock about 1200 if you include the 1st years over in the Willow Park building
    Belvo 1000
    Terenure 1000
    Clongowes 450/500
    Michaels about 600/650
    Zaga 550
    St Marys 500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Belvo 1000
    Terenure 1000
    Clongowes 450/500
    Michaels about 600/650
    Zaga 550
    St Marys 500

Take away at the very least 50 for Marys.

Belvo 1000
    Terenure 1000
    Clongowes 450/500
    Michaels about 600/650
    Zaga 550
    St Marys 500

And why wouldn't you include the crew in 7th class/1st year in Willow?

Sure they play other schools 1st year teams

And why wouldn't you include the crew in 7th class/1st year in Willow?

Sure they play other schools 1st year teams

Well because officially it isn't Blackrock. When taking a role of school numbers they wouldnt be included.
    Doesn't really matter anyway seen as I did include them.

Take away at the very least 50 for Marys.

Really? Have the numbers been shrinking?

Big time.

They're finding it hard to put out 3-4 teams in 1st year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

They were down a bit but are going back up now. The general number has been 75 per year for a good few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Field one team in first year,one team in second year and become cup contenders in third year?what they have a freak year of exceptional 20 athletes happen to be in the year every year?
    Clearly something up. Tough on the other league schools like kings hospital and Gonzaga who felt they had a good chance this year and that happens.
    Rock might recruit but clearly Roscrea doing plenty of their own.

1500 in Rock
    1100 or so in Terenure
    1000 in Belvo
    550 in Zaga
    380 in Clongowes

There isn't 1500 in Blackrock. Its about 1000. They'd 200 in LC last year according to Indo feeder school supplement which came out today and that was one of the largest in the country so hardly have 1300 amongst the other 5 years in the school
    Risteard wrote: »
    Oh I didn't mean to win! Just to get to the quarter finals would be something IMO.
    It would be something to actually make the quarters but its unlikely as Glenstal have a very good senior side this season
    Field one team in first year,one team in second year and become cup contenders in third year?what they have a freak year of exceptional 20 athletes happen to be in the year every year?
    Clearly something up. Tough on the other league schools like kings hospital and Gonzaga who felt they had a good chance this year and that happens.
    Rock might recruit but clearly Roscrea doing plenty of their own.
    I wouldn't say anything is up. A significant proportion of schools do some level of recruiting/enticing talented players to move for the cups...
    Roscrea are a full time boarding school unlike others. Roscrea do take in some just for rugby

Rock is 1200 so, you HAVE to include Wilowcas they play other school's 1st year teams and us the Rock junior school.

Rock might recruit but clearly Roscrea doing plenty of their own.[/quo

Cup contenders?? Not likely.... There are 24 in 2nd year. Approx 26 in junior cert. In small schools like that it is quite common to have a good number of 2nd years on the JCT team .In fact last year they had a first year playing JCT. You quite simply do not realise how tight the numbers are.They work really , really hard with the limited numbers and the boarding school spirit is a huge help.

Noone is saying roscrea dont do a good job developing the players they have but they also get players sent to them from connacht and they also get player from youths.

Rock, Belvo, Clongowes have all gotten lads from youths in recent years.
    Terenure have gotten players from other big schools.

Noone is saying roscrea dont do a good job developing the players they have but they also get players sent to them from connacht and they also get player from youths.

Rock, Belvo, Clongowes have all gotten lads from youths in recent years.
    Terenure have gotten players from other big schools.
    Do michaels recruit? No they don't. Shows that it can be done. Would prefer to see them win it then rock.

• Advertisement

I'm in two minds about players being recruited. There is the one half that says it's a disgrace and completely against the spirit of the game and can ruin a teams chances of any success when their best players are poached away, and other teams then face these 'teenage galacticos' of sorts. Not to mention other hardworking players losing their spots to the recruits. Doesn't seem fair.

But then there's the Irish rugby side of me that says if they're playing for Blackrock instead of say Pres Bray, they're getting access to much better facilities and will probably benefit as a player at a crucial point in development, Ireland(and their province) will benefit from this.

Also with regards to how Michaels get by without recruiting, it's simple, rugby playing junior school supplies half the year, invested in great coaching throughout all the years 1st-6th, not just the SCT and great facilities bar the lack of pitches. Junior school is a huge help, but I have no doubt that say Castleknock's or Gonzaga's rugby programmes could learn a few things from them.

Michaels and schools like Marys and Gonzaga appear to be the ones doing it the traditional route of whatever comes through the school is what theyve got.
    Although a few years ago, few of my friends who were in Gonzaga said Andy Marks was approached by Michaels with a place in the school. 2012/2013 i think it was when he was going into fifth year but he turned down the place.

I'm in two minds about players being recruited. There is the one half that says it's a disgrace and completely against the spirit of the game and can ruin a teams chances of any success when their best players are poached away, and other teams then face these 'teenage galacticos' of sorts. Not to mention other hardworking players losing their spots to the recruits. Doesn't seem fair.

But then there's the Irish rugby side of me that says if they're playing for Blackrock instead of say Pres Bray, they're getting access to much better facilities and will probably benefit as a player at a crucial point in development, Ireland(and their province) will benefit from this.

Also with regards to how Michaels get by without recruiting, it's simple, rugby playing junior school supplies half the year, invested in great coaching throughout all the years 1st-6th, not just the SCT and great facilities bar the lack of pitches. Junior school is a huge help, but I have no doubt that say Castleknock's or Gonzaga's rugby programmes could learn a few things from them.

I see where you're coming from but due to all the underage probincial and national setups (from as young as just after the junior cup) generally the vast majority of the best players will be spotted and developed regardless of the school they are in. Facilities and big game opportunities are one thing in the bigger schools but some would have opportunities for good cup runs if all the best players in the smaller schools stayed put. These schools might have semi final chances if their two or three best players stay rather than leave and widen the gap more. It devalues the competition a touch.
    Ironically up until Rock won the cup in 2013, the previous 4 years the school had blocked players from representative rugby unless they had played SCT the previous year. This appears based on their performances in that period to have has a poor effect on player development as much as being in a small school.

While the individual players do benefit does Irish Rugby as a whole benefit?
    Take Sean O Brien, if he had went to "x" school at 17 he would have played a higher standard of game outside of representative rugby but what would that do to help others from Tullow etc who don't or didn't have opportunity to go to a rugby playing school?
    Rugby has/had an image in Ireland of being quite elitist and the acceptance that its ok for youngsters to move to schools that are generally fee paying schools for rugby doesn't help rugby's images. There is plenty more Sean O Briens, Trevor Brennans, Tommy O Donnells, Jack O Donoghues out there but we need to get the systems right to truly get the best out of those who are not and can not and will not attend one of the few select schools
    I see where you're coming from but due to all the underage probincial and national setups (from as young as just after the junior cup) generally the vast majority of the best players will be spotted and developed regardless of the school they are in. Facilities and big game opportunities are one thing in the bigger schools but some would have opportunities for good cup runs if all the best players in the smaller schools stayed put. These schools might have semi final chances if their two or three best players stay rather than leave and widen the gap more. It devalues the competition a touch.
    Ironically up until Rock won the cup in 2013, the previous 4 years the school had blocked players from representative rugby unless they had played SCT the previous year. This appears based on their performances in that period to have has a poor effect on player development as much as being in a small school.
    But if you are a fairly talented player outside the main schools you find it very very difficult to get noticed and its very unfairly slanted in favour of a small few

But if you are a fairly talented player outside the main schools you find it very very difficult to get noticed and its very unfairly slanted in favour of a small few

bollix if your talented you will get noticed, simple as.
    but it takes more than just talent to make it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement