Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools Cup 2014/2015 *mod warning post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Looking at the other pics of that ref made the right call. Deserved red card. Anyone at game feel different?

Can't really comment on anything other than the pics but I thought it'd be harsh - both players going for the ball, both have their feet off the ground.

In real time it'd be hard to call though.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

rughug wrote: »
    Boys, any results from the Leinster Schools Senior League games today. First round of games

Castleknock beat Pres Bray at senior 37-21 and Junior 10-6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

.ak wrote: »
    Can't really comment on anything other than the pics but I thought it'd be harsh - both players going for the ball, both have their feet off the ground.

It's the newly introduce "Jared Payne" rule isn't it. I'm not in favour of it. I don't think it should matter how the player lands. If the other player has his eyes on the ball and both feet off the ground, fair game.

Of course, this is no comment on the pictured incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

rughug wrote: »
    Boys, any results from the Leinster Schools Senior League games today. First round of games
    Roscrea beat Wesley 39-14
    Hagz wrote: »
    It's the newly introduce "Jared Payne" rule isn't it. I'm not in favour of it. I don't think it should matter how the player lands. If the other player has his eyes on the ball and both feet off the ground, fair game.

Of course, this is no comment on the pictured incident.
    No it isn't and Jared Payne has nothing to do with it. How the player lands has a role. If other player has eyes on ball and both feet off the ground it isn't "fair game"

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

milosh wrote: »
    Castleknock beat Pres Bray at senior 37-21 and Junior 10-6

Was at CBC/Kilkenny game-CBC won 18-6 with a very weakened side due to injury --3 tries and a PK to 2 PKs

Gonzaga 28-CUS 7

• Advertisement

No it isn't and Jared Payne has nothing to do with it. How the player lands has a role. If other player has eyes on ball and both feet off the ground it isn't "fair game"

All of that sentence confused me haha. It might not be a newly introduced rule, but it most certainly was revised after the Jared Payne incident. That's not to say that things changed after the Jared Payne incident specifically. Remember? First there was the Jared Payne incident, and then there was like an unusual spate of similar incidents, and then how the player landed became a factor. It wasn't like that before. I don't see why it should have a role.

If both players have both feet off the ground and eyes on the ball, why isn't it fair game?

All of that sentence confused me haha. It might not be a newly introduced rule, but it most certainly was revised after the Jared Payne incident. That's not to say that things changed after the Jared Payne incident specifically. Remember? First there was the Jared Payne incident, and then there was like an unusual spate of similar incidents, and then how the player landed became a factor. It wasn't like that before. I don't see why it should have a role.

If both players have both feet off the ground and eyes on the ball, why isn't it fair game?
    It wasn't revised after the Jared Payne incident. I was at a referees meeting very soon after the JP incident where it was discussed in depth and been at everyone since and there was no revision in relation to it. Similar incidents were maybe noticed more but nothing changed in terms of rules/laws of the game. How player lands does play a role and should play a role. If you pick a player up and they fall on their head its a very different tackle to the player falling on their back.
    If one player is above the other in the air especially if they've made a big leap into the air to catch the ball it certainly isn't fair game due to risk of injury, more chances of dangerous hit etc

It wasn't revised after the Jared Payne incident. I was at a referees meeting very soon after the JP incident where it was discussed in depth and been at everyone since and there was no revision in relation to it. Similar incidents were maybe noticed more but nothing changed in terms of rules/laws of the game.

Well I'm sorry Lost Sheep, but things simply did change. Maybe not in law, but certainly in action. Now the punishment is determined by where the player lands, this wasn't the case before the JP incident.
    How player lands does play a role and should play a role. If you pick a player up and they fall on their head its a very different tackle to the player falling on their back.
    They are of course different in their outcomes, but that doesn't mean the tackler did anything more or less dangerous. If I collide with you in the air and you land on your feet like a cat, the punishment should still be applied as if you landed on your neck. The punishment should not be dictated by the outcome, it should be dictated by the dangerous act.
    If one player is above the other in the air especially if they've made a big leap into the air to catch the ball it certainly isn't fair game due to risk of injury, more chances of dangerous hit etc

Of course if a player ends up jumping higher he is more vulnerable in the collision, but what are you saying? If two players leap in the air to compete for a ball and collide, the one who didn't get as much air is to blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sbtrkter90

Leinster schools really performed poorly during the interpros which is odd as they were excellent in the warmups and against the youths. Be interested to see what happens with that group of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

sbtrkter90 wrote: »
    Leinster schools really performed poorly during the interpros which is odd as they were excellent in the warmups and against the youths. Be interested to see what happens with that group of players.

Any more results from todays league games

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Was at CBC/Kilkenny game-CBC won 18-6 with a very weakened side due to injury --3 tries and a PK to 2 PKs

Gonzaga 28-CUS 7

KH 21-St Andrews 28

Well I'm sorry Lost Sheep, but things simply did change. Maybe not in law, but certainly in action. Now the punishment is determined by where the player lands, this wasn't the case before the JP incident.

They are of course different in their outcomes, but that doesn't mean the tackler did anything more or less dangerous. If I collide with you in the air and you land on your feet like a cat, the punishment should still be applied as if you landed on your neck. The punishment should not be dictated by the outcome, it should be dictated by the dangerous act.

Of course if a player ends up jumping higher he is more vulnerable in the collision, but what are you saying? If two players leap in the air to compete for a ball and collide, the one who didn't get as much air is to blame?
    Nothing did change. We've covered it in referee meetings and its been discussed here enough. Nothing did actually change.

Nothing did change. We've covered it in referee meetings and its been discussed here enough. Nothing did actually change.

Any results from todays league games out there.

Any results from todays league games out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

Michaels, rock and Belvo all won on weekend vs CBC Cork, Royal School of Armagh and Clongowes

• Registered Users Posts: 2 euro20162

Rock favourites for JCT again, Terenure looking stronger than recently too. Michael's look decent, probably similar level of team than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 aspin

euro20162 wrote: »
    Rock favourites for JCT again, Terenure looking stronger than recently too. Michael's look decent, probably similar level of team than last year.

Gonzaga have a strong group this year too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Gonzaga and kings hospital are meant to be good this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 hdq91

Zaga lost to Michaels earlier in the year. 10-0.
    Rock beat Michaels. 17-0.
    Michaels beat Clongowes yesterday. 22-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rugby_Man5

Any senior results today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

Basically full Michaels beat Clongowes 22-14
    Marys beat a poor Belvo missing 7 players 6-3

Clongowes Tournament this weekend. Anyone going?

20 teams competing
    Clongowes, Belvedere, Blackrock, Castleknock, Roscrea, Gonzaga, Newbridge, Marys, Michaels, Terenure
    Rockwell, PBC Cork, CBC Cork, Crescent Comp
    Methody Belfast, Campbell Belfast, Belfast Royal Academy, RBAI
    Ivybridge Community College
    Coleg y Cymoedd College

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR2

Clongowes Tournament this weekend. Anyone going?

20 teams competing
    Clongowes, Belvedere, Blackrock, Castleknock, Roscrea, Gonzaga, Newbridge, Marys, Michaels, Terenure
    Rockwell, PBC Cork, CBC Cork, Crescent Comp
    Methody Belfast, Campbell Belfast, Belfast Royal Academy, RBAI
    Ivybridge Community College
    Coleg y Cymoedd College

That's a fairly impressive line up! How is it split?

FR2 wrote: »
    That's a fairly impressive line up! How is it split?
    No idea Michaels tweeted their fixtures and they play Rockwell, Methody, Roscrea and Gonzaga on day 1 so i'll assume 4 groups of 5 and then playoffs/knock out stage?

Games started In Clongowes tournament. First round of games almost all played
    Campbell 7 Newbridge 5
    Blackrock 5 PBC 5
    RBAI 3 Cymeodd 7
    Belvedere 0 CBC 10
    Wallace 8 Ivybridge 17
    St Michaels 7 Rockwell 0
    Methody 8 Roscrea 0

Games started In Clongowes tournament. First round of games almost all played
    Campbell 7 Newbridge 5
    Blackrock 5 PBC 5
    RBAI 3 Cymeodd 7
    Belvedere 0 CBC 10
    Wallace 8 Ivybridge 17
    St Michaels 7 Rockwell 0
    Methody 8 Roscrea 0

Any further update after the first round of games Lost Sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 requiems0

Michaels undefeated so far:
    G1: vs rockwell, 7-0.
    G2: vs methody, 10-3.
    G3: vs roscrea, 19-10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

http://www.clongowes.eu/live-rugby-feed/ results and tables for all games

Advertisement