Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools Cup 2014/2015 *mod warning post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rugby_Man5

Whats the team ?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Rugby_Man5 wrote: »
    Whats the team ?

Who played well for the u18 schools v Languedoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Team is up on Leinster website. May see a report on website tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tigerbarron

Irish underage rugby twitter account reporting leinster won 16-12.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 SilRenton

Will be interesting to see if Tim Foley is approached by Munster after he finishes school this year, he is from Cork after all. Same with John Molony.

• Advertisement

SilRenton wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if Tim Foley is approached by Munster after he finishes school this year, he is from Cork after all. Same with John Molony.
    He may but only if not picked by any Leinster side. He will only be looked at by Munster if Leinster choose not to pick him as he is developed in a Leinster school through the Leinster system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

Leinster U19 play Northampton in England while Leinster U18 Clubs play Belvedere tomorrow in Cabra

Leinster U19s defeated Northampton U19s 25-22 while Leinster U18 Clubs beat Belvedere 5-3

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bsd

When are the draws?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR2

Usually the first week of December!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Bsd

FR2 wrote: »
    Usually the first week of December!

Last year it was in may for the munster senior cup

Bsd wrote: »
    Last year it was in may for the munster senior cup
    Munster Draw would have been made already but for some schools complaints on new regulations being put in place regarding player eligibility. The Senior Cup qualifier competition draw has been made as have the B/C school competitions. All are on the Munster website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS_kQ7EqIbA

This is the highlights of Scots College from Australia in 2014 who seemingly dominated their competition throughout the season. Just wondering how do you think they'd fare against say the Rock side of last year or the Clongowes team of 2011? Just interesting to see the comparison. Apparently they've been poaching a lot of NSW reps, where have we seen that before ;) ? But in all seriousness they look to have some very skillful probably better rounded players than you'd see in Ireland schools but smaller packs.

Only a highlight reel obviously so doesn't show the full picture. Well worth watching for the support lines alone, absolutely gorgeous stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 tedgre

Just a few questions on the leinster u19 team..
    Anyone know what nick peters is like as a player? Has came out of nowhere this year.

Also what happed to Charlie Cregan? Colm Mulcahy? Rowan Osborne? Rob Lalor? Dan Lavelle? Sean O'Hare?

Also saw Eoin O'Neill is involved but im fairly sure he didnt even start for michaels when in 6th year?

Finally Matthew Byrne from terenure? What type of player is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 leinster89

Leinster Schools drew with Ulster 17-17. Two very good sides, best Ulster side ive seen in 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

That's great. Were you at game, did any Ulster players in particular catch your eye?

Kyle Dixon a student of Castleknock College for 5 years who 'moved' to Blackrock College at the beginning of 6th year played for Blackrock yesterday against Castleknock

Kyle Dixon a student of Castleknock College for 5 years who 'moved' to Blackrock College at the beginning of 6th year played for Blackrock yesterday against Castleknock

Standard stuff really. Poaching is bad enough but it's the fact that Blackrock already have a head start with the best facilities and by far biggest numbers that really gets me. This conversation tends to come up every year, it happens in most sports unfortunately and there's not much we can do about it.

Another player who will be moving to Blackrock later this year is Ciaran Frawley from Skerries RFC and a Leinster and Ireland U18s player

Don't have a problem with it really. Personal choice and freedom, Frawley is a classy outhalf who can play fullback too. Strong tradition of Skerries lads moving to Blackrock with David O'Connor moving there in 3rd year and Conor Oliver joining him for 6th year.
    Terenure did it with Dardis and others, Rock do it regularly.
    Prefer to not see players moving from school to school though.

Any idea on the blackrock team yesterday?

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    That's great. Were you at game, did any Ulster players in particular catch your eye?

For ulster James McKeown, Conor Kelly, Robert Lyttle were three standouts i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭spillit67

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS_kQ7EqIbA

This is the highlights of Scots College from Australia in 2014 who seemingly dominated their competition throughout the season. Just wondering how do you think they'd fare against say the Rock side of last year or the Clongowes team of 2011? Just interesting to see the comparison. Apparently they've been poaching a lot of NSW reps, where have we seen that before ;) ? But in all seriousness they look to have some very skillful probably better rounded players than you'd see in Ireland schools but smaller packs.

Only a highlight reel obviously so doesn't show the full picture. Well worth watching for the support lines alone, absolutely gorgeous stuff.

Nice video. I thin Australian schools rugby is completely screwed though with unfettered poaching and scholarships destroying the competitive landscape. A warning about what could happen here.

We used to see maybe a person every couple of years moving school but it seems to be a couple a year now, very disappointing to see.

spillit67 wrote: »
    Nice video. I thin Australian schools rugby is completely screwed though with unfettered poaching and scholarships destroying the competitive landscape. A warning about what could happen here.

We used to see maybe a person every couple of years moving school but it seems to be a couple a year now, very disappointing to see.

Let's call a spade a spade though, Blackrock are responsible for almost all of the poaching. Terenure did take the two players from Newbridge back in 2012 but Blackrock have been doing it on a much more frequent basis and on a much larger scale. I believe the stat thrown around last year was that 10 of the starting 15 In the SCT weren't in the school in first year. It's definitely the dark side to the schools competition but I suppose it's inevitable that it will happen in a competitive environment. No fair way of preventing players from moving school that I can think of.

Also to be fair I'm not having a go at blackrock per se, I've no doubt most schools would be doing the same if they were able to provide the accommodation rock can. Just think it's worth noting that they are the prime offenders and if it that '10 out of the 15 weren't in 1st year' thing becomes normal then the competition will be ruined.

spillit67 wrote: »

Australia suffers from rugby being very much a upper class sport and underage the sport completely dominated by small number of schools

Should something be done about players moving? Something possibly should be but as proved when something was tried in Munster to stop it there will be massive opposition
    Let's call a spade a spade though, Blackrock are responsible for almost all of the poaching. Terenure did take the two players from Newbridge back in 2012 but Blackrock have been doing it on a much more frequent basis and on a much larger scale. I believe the stat thrown around last year was that 10 of the starting 15 In the SCT weren't in the school in first year. It's definitely the dark side to the schools competition but I suppose it's inevitable that it will happen in a competitive environment. No fair way of preventing players from moving school that I can think of.

Also to be fair I'm not having a go at blackrock per se, I've no doubt most schools would be doing the same if they were able to provide the accommodation rock can. Just think it's worth noting that they are the prime offenders and if it that '10 out of the 15 weren't in 1st year' thing becomes normal then the competition will be ruined.
    I disagree with that regarding Blackrock. All schools or virtually all do it. Yes it is difficult to stop it but putting in more rules as to when a youngster must be a registered student and when they become eligible for the rugby side is part of way to do it.
    Totally agree on the last sentence

I'm quite surprised at Blackrock tbh. They were never this active in bringing in outside talent, but in the last couple years they seem to be employing this tactic more and more.

That's not to say I'm against it. They seem to be targeting youth players, and in my opinion such players have really benefited from it.

Blackrock, Clongowes and Roscrea are the ones active in bringing Youth players in. It gives me an even greater level of respect for what St Michaels have done in the last 7 or 8 years.

It's a difficult one as regards bringing Youth players or people from Development schools in. I do not buy the tired excuse that it is for promotion - Leinster rugby has brought through lots of youths and people from non traditional schools in recent years. It certainly might improve their access to training and competitive environment though. Players from other traditional schools is utter poison for the competition though. Players converging on what particular school has the most talented set of players in an age group is bad for the competition and for the sport. I personally don't see the attraction of leaving your mates for a better chance of a medal, it wouldn't be worth anything to me. We should also look at the wider remit of underage rugby, it is about more than those going pro, it's about playing beyond school and being involved in the game at grassroots whether that is a school or club throughout your life. It must be extremely disheartening to see your best player leave your school and instantly damage your team's chances.

Australia suffers from rugby being very much a upper class sport and underage the sport completely dominated by small number of schools

Not talking about that. The GPS in Sydney for example, are all middle to upper class fee paying schools. The only one that isn't is Sydney Boys High School which is a selective academic school. The GPS has been damaged because of poaching and scholarships. It is Leinster schools rugby x 10. Some schools are not willing to do that just for rugby and the competitive balance has been eroded.
    NEWINGTON old boy and Wallabies great Phil Kearns said the supremacy of Scots was dreadful for rugby, and urged schools to either allow unfettered recruiting for all schools, or ban enticements.

His comments came after the blowout result when Scots College defeated Newington College in the 1st 15 GPS match, 101-0.

``Yeah it’s clearly quite a good program going on there. They must have some very good coaching,’’ Kearns laughed, tongue embedded in his cheek.

``Every school accuses others schools of doing the same thing. Shore say they don’t have any players on scholarships, I’m not sure I believe that. And I’m sure Scots are doing it.

``Either you make the decision that everyone is allowed to have scholarships and recruits, or no one is allowed to. But this is not just happening in rugby, It’s basketball, it’s rowing, it’s all sports.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/phil-kearns-says-the-supremacy-of-scots-college-is-dreadful-for-rugby-after-1010-drubbing-of-newington-college/story-fni0cx12-1227003526800

There are other problems in Australian schoolboy rugby, from what you mention above with few working class schools and also the competitions themselves. There is no equivalent of the provincial competitions we have here or the New Zealand schools competition. GPS is an Association of schools, it would be kind of like if there was no LSC here and there was a Holy Ghost Schools competition for under 18s.

I believe the stat thrown around last year was that 10 of the starting 15 In the SCT weren't in the school in first year.

That stat is false anyway that's for sure.

Hagz wrote: »
    That stat is false anyway that's for sure.

Yeah I think it sounds a bit too outrageous, but I know it was an alarming number.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think it sounds a bit too outrageous, but I know it was an alarming number.

I reckon it's the other way round. 10/15 were in school in 1st year, and 5 weren't. The 5 being Loughman, O'Connor, Oliver, Kearns and Carberry.

Advertisement