Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

So...Saders v Chiefs, Colin Slade (Saders) goes up for the ball, Mike Fitzgerald (Chiefs) does a Finn Russell. Result: simple penalty.

But he'll be fretting about a 2 week ban now :P

(actually he won't because I still think that Russell decision was BS)

The Blues are in danger of looking like the Dick Rowes of New Zealand rugby.

Rowe was the London record company man who turned down a chance to sign the Beatles, telling their manager "guitar bands are on the way out."

A shining star, Malakai Fekitoa, the Highlanders and All Blacks centre, was in the grasp of the Blues and they let him get away.

It seems incredible that the Blues can't attain better results when the franchise is based in a city that produces what sometimes feels like the playing backbone of not only rugby in this country but also the NRL in Australia.

Fekitoa wasn't one who slipped through the talent net. He was spotted at Wesley College, became part of the Auckland rugby academy, worked like a Trojan, and stepped into the Auckland side of 2012 so successfully he played in every NPC game.

It wasn't as if his brilliant attacking abilities were hard to detect. In 2013 the Auckland sevens side won the national title and Fekitoa was the star, taking away the player of the tournament award.

His provincial coaches raved and in 2013 he was in the first Blues squad named by John Kirwan.

That's when the ladder to the stars was pulled out from under him.

He was considered so surplus to requirements he didn't have one minute of match-play during the whole 16 games the Blues played. It was always unlikely he would start, with Rene Ranger the regular centre, but why did he not get at least a little time off the bench?

There were no major behaviour issues behind the scenes. No problem with his work ethic. Fekitoa was known to be a fierce trainer.

It was simply believed by Kirwan and his coaching team that Fekitoa didn't have the ability to make the step from NPC to Super Rugby.

Little wonder that when the Highlanders wanted to sign him the Blues didn't fight to keep him.

The rest, as they say, is history. Given regular starts in Dunedin he showed how easily he could actually make the transition and Highlanders' coach Jamie Joseph's faith in him was soon echoed by Steve Hansen.

Fekitoa stands out as a major selection blunder but, with 20/20 hindsight, the loss of coach Joe Schmidt back in 2007 may ultimately feel even more costly.

To be fair to Dick Rowe and the '07 Blues management, if you've ever heard the Beatles' audition tape it's plodding and amateurish, and likewise Schmidt's time at the Blues had few hints of the coaching glory to come.

Right now Schmidt's the hottest coach in northern hemisphere rugby. In one season he took Ireland to a Six Nations title. At least one former All Blacks coach now believes Ireland, not England or South Africa, may be the biggest hurdle for the All Blacks at the World Cup this year.

But when Schmidt left Auckland in '07 to join his old Bay of Plenty coaching partner Vern Cotter at Clermont in France, there wasn't a tear shed. It was Schmidt's great misfortune that the fresh-faced, personable, former Tauranga schoolteacher, who does self-deprecation so well he may be the least ego-driven coach in the game, came to Auckland to be backline coach at the Blues in 2005, at a time when the career of first-five Carlos Spencer was winding down.

Schmidt wasn't the only person who recognised the fact, just the unlucky one who had to do something about it.

In the process he was vilified. In 2006 one excitable columnist wrote, "Time is up, Joe, because the backline has been a disaster since you came to town. The Blues' bottom line is so bad the time has come for someone to pay. Now."

It would have taken a stroke of genius to see how worthwhile persisting with Schmidt might have been.
    But sadly for the Blues, strokes of genius like Jamie Joseph seizing on Fekitoa, or the Chiefs putting Dave Rennie and Wayne Smith together, rarely seem to strike in Auckland.

Column from Phil Gifford. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out the implicated journalist, for fun let's call him a village idiot :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The less I see Joe discussed in New Zealand media the happier I will be. Hands off, he's ours for now.

Teferi wrote: »
    The less I see Joe discussed in New Zealand media the happier I will be. Hands off, he's ours for now.

Success breeds attention Teferi. You can't have one without the other. The obvious solution is for Ireland to start losing :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Aaron Rodgers

Ive noticed over the last few games the use of the forearm by the player about to be tackled.
    I know the hand off is legal but a lot of players including the irish lads almost lash out against the tacklers head as he moves in for the tackle.

Vunipola nailed sexton at one stage with one in the second half. He was down for a while. Anyone else seen this? Is it legal or are the refs just ignoring it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

SOB led with the forearm on Ford just before he was taken off.

As far as I know it's illegal but they tend to happen so quick that unless it's incredibly blatant the ref will struggle to pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ive noticed over the last few games the use of the forearm by the player about to be tackled.
    I know the hand off is legal but a lot of players including the irish lads almost lash out against the tacklers head as he moves in for the tackle.

Vunipola nailed sexton at one stage with one in the second half. He was down for a while. Anyone else seen this? Is it legal or are the refs just ignoring it?
    Not legal and not being ignored. Can often be difficult to pick up in a game and penalise a player for doing it so isn't penalised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Here is the list of stadiums for the 2019 World Cup in Japan. They've just been confirmed, don't think it will be too difficult to get tickets for this World Cup!

Tokyo National Stadium - 80,000
    Yokahama International Stadium - 72,000
    Shizukoa Stadium - 51,000
    Toyota Stadium - 45,000
    Sapporo Stadium - 41,000
    Hanazano Stadium, Osaka - 40,000
    Oita Dome - 40,000
    Kobe City Misaki Park - 34,000
    Umakana Yokana Stadium, Kumamoto - 32,000
    Kumagaya Rugby Stadium - 24,000
    Level 5 Stadium, Fukuoka - 22,000
    Kamaishi Stadium - 15,000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone familiar with Japan and able to talk us through where the action will be, the cool places to stay and whatnot? I'd love to go to this world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

This has to be one of the best bits of skill I've ever seen in either code.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=902013553277511

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

.ak wrote: »
    This has to be one of the best bits of skill I've ever seen in either code.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=902013553277511

I've seen this about 10 times and I still havent a ****ing breeze what he's actually done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Anyone hear the freudian slip by Daire O'Brien on Against the Head?

"Relaxing after a game for the lads is just 2 bags of coke"

He meant bottles of coke and a bag of crisps. Shane Jenning's face was hillarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

DDC1990 wrote: »

He meant bottles of coke and a bag of crisps. Shane Jenning's face was hillarious.

Does Colombia have a rugby team?
    Next years summer tour sorted if so!!

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I've seen this about 10 times and I still havent a ****ing breeze what he's actually done.

Black magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Jasus poor Shane Byrne got some amount of stick

DDC1990 wrote: »

:)
    http://balls.ie/rugby/241508-daire-obrien-slip-rte/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Was tempted to wait until end of season to ask this but when is it can you say you go to waaaaaaay too much rugby games in a season(not including games watched live on tv). Im including all 15 a side games ive played/coached/refereed/watched(predominantly amateur games) and im at around 80 games so far this season and we're into finals months with probably 20 or so more games i'll referee/coach teams in or be an active participant in. I know its well more than most but about what numbrs are most people at as a comparison.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with Japan and able to talk us through where the action will be, the cool places to stay and whatnot? I'd love to go to this world cup.
    I was there in 2002 at the World cup. If you have the money to go, just go. A very friendly welcoming people and when I was there zero crime. Don't know if it's still the same in that regard.
    If yer around Tokyo plenty to see and do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

errlloyd wrote: »

Start saving now and really enjoy it. I spent 6 weeks in NZ and was worth every penny. Got to see 7 games including the final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Seriously thinking of going to this. The stadiums look immense. The country looks like a decent size to tour over four weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

b.gud wrote: »

Typical home town ref. ;)

Typical home town ref. ;)

Didn't he do something similar when he was reffing the Leinster v Munster game?
    ;)

Wang King wrote: »
    Didn't he do something similar when he was reffing the Leinster v Munster game?
    ;)

Yeah he was the assist for the BOD try. Think he kicked the conversion too.

Yeah he was the assist for the BOD try. Think he kicked the conversion too.

It was a bit much when he steamrolled ROG though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Was tempted to wait until end of season to ask this but when is it can you say you go to waaaaaaay too much rugby games in a season(not including games watched live on tv). Im including all 15 a side games ive played/coached/refereed/watched(predominantly amateur games) and im at around 80 games so far this season and we're into finals months with probably 20 or so more games i'll referee/coach teams in or be an active participant in. I know its well more than most but about what numbrs are most people at as a comparison.......

I haven't played or made it to watch one game this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

French lock Pascale Pape has failed in his appeal against a 10-week suspension for kneeing Ireland's Jamie Heaslip.
    Pape smashed his knee into Heaslip's back as he hit a ruck in the second half of France's 18-11 defeat in Dublin last month, causing the Ireland number eight three cracked vertebrae.
    "The Appeal Committee, having considered submissions on behalf of the player and on behalf of the Six Nations Disciplinary Officer, dismissed the appeal with the result that the original sanction of a 10-week suspension stands, with Pascal Pape able to return to play on 18 May 2015," organisers said in a statement.
    Pape missed the 20-13 loss to Wales in Paris on Saturday and will sit out France's final two Six Nations matches away to Italy and England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Is that all? If you're going to get involved in rugby then you should properly commit. 100+ live rugby matches in a season and you call yourself a rugby fan!?

I watch way more than that.... From the comfort of my couch or a stool in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Maybe I'm out of touch or just plain wrong having long since forgotten my glory days of playing but I thought Dan Cole's 'fend' on Cian Healy was more like a forearm smash. I don't believe that would have been legal in my day. That's also being kind about sticking his head on Healy too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement