Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian refugee student wins state scholarship

Options
  • 07-11-2019 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

A nice immigration story in the news this morning, for a change.

0012fcdf-500.jpg

A 17-year-old Syrian refugee who has become the recipient of a new State scholarship for students, has spoken of the great welcome and support that her family have received from Irish communities since they arrived here three years ago.

Suaad Alshleh is a first year medical student at the Royal College of Surgeons and was awarded the Professor William C Campbell bursary, worth €5,000, today.

Suaad came to Ireland with her mother at the age of 14, seeking refuge from the war in Syria. Her father joined them shortly after.

Suaad came to Ireland with her mother at the age of 14, seeking refuge from the war in Syria. Her father joined them shortly after.

Suaad spent her first year here in living in Direct Provision with her mother.

"It was incredibly difficult", she tells RTÉ News. "It was probably the toughest time of my life." Suaad says thinking about that time brings tears to her eyes "so I try to block those months from my memory".

She says the thing she missed most during that time was her mother's cooking, which she says would have brought her "comfort".

Suaad’s mother and father are both engineers but Suaad says she has always wanted to be a doctor.

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2019/1106/1089120-syrian-student/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Best of luck to Suaad and her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Good for her. Well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Delighted for her.
    We could do with a few more like her rather than the scroungers who try sponge of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

best of luck to her

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

The thread title worried me, but I'm glad to see the positive post.

Best of luck to her and her family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

First year medical student at 17 after fleeing a war? That's incredible.

Coming over here robbing my place in medical school *shakes fist*.
    derfderf wrote: »
    First year medical student at 17 after fleeing a war? That's incredible.

Extraordinary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Several years living in UAE before coming here , seems the family fled a safe country .

Wonder if we would see a thread on Irish students getting scholarship .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Gatling wrote: »
    Several years living in UAE before coming here , seems the family fled a safe country .

Wonder if we would see a thread on Irish students getting scholarship .

She did so well that they gave her a scholarship....yet I can’t see her results mentioned anywhere!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

LillySV wrote: »
    She did so well that they gave her a scholarship....yet I can’t see her results mentioned anywhere!?

You need to get 600+ Points in the LC to do medicine in Uni.
    Are you suggesting she didn’t get the points for some reason? Why do you think that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gatling wrote: »
    Several years living in UAE before coming here , seems the family fled a safe country
    i knew there was going to be a catch

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

A lot of string pulling in our media..baaaah!

splinter65 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting she didn’t get the points for some reason? Why do you think that?

I stated that her results weren’t published.... why not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Some irish people are just fcuking weird, outraged over a foreign girl getting a scholarship, fcuking hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

UAE weren't going to pay her 5k or almost free education.
    Well done to her, but don't make it out that her and her family are anything other than economic migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Fair play to the girl for her achievements. However that is a woefully written article.

This:
    Suaad spent her first year here in living in Direct Provision with her mother.

"It was incredibly difficult", she tells RTÉ News. "It was probably the toughest time of my life." Suaad says thinking about that time brings tears to her eyes "so I try to block those months from my memory".

It would appear that the article is implying that the worst period in the girls life was one year of direct provision provided free by the state - despite having to flee with her family as refugees from war torn Syria via the UAE ...

The mind boggles ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why would they be? The college doesn't just take any recipient. The person still have to meet their entry requirements. I think we can assume she's got the smarts to study medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Best of luck to her

I’ve no issue with genuine refugees and she is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Well done to her, i wonder are her parents in employment as they're both engineers, i also hope she'll stay and contribute to irish society if/when she qualifies, i wish her all the best

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why would they be? The college doesn't just take any recipient. The person still have to meet their entry requirements. I think we can assume she's got the smarts to study medicine[/quote

Normally when a person gets a scholarship and receives public acknowledgement for their achievements, their results are published. It didn’t happen here though

I think if someone is getting a scholarship (money from public purse) it should be clear why .... achievement stated etc

And I’m referring to anyone who gets scholarship... whether they Irish, Syrian. American , British ..,..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Soft Propaganda is alive and well, this story sprouted from RTE and spread to the outlets....it gives a nice soft backing up of Leos migrant speech this week, what a coincidence.

The positive migrant seeds are nicely sown in our racist irish minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Why are rte telling us of this one girl achievement, sure aren't all immigrants from Syria highly educated engineers and doctors etc.

You think the body that awarded the scholarship should have to prove to you that she got the points? Why? It’s not your money, it’s not your business.
    She’s won the scholarship because she’s demonstrated that she achieved academic excellence despite starting her secondary education from a position of severe disadvantage to most of the other students in her year.
    Unless you are suggesting that medical school are admitting her without her having achieved the required academic standard.
    Is that what you’re suggesting?
    Why would they take that risk?
    Also, do you demand to see the academic record of everyone who gets into medical school here or just those you feel should have to show their record, like refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hey, why don't you share yours?

Little envious, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know it's a meme at this stage but these people are literally doctors and engineers. There should be absolutely nothing negative about this here you would think but people will still have a whinge no doubt!

"Snotty wrote: »
    Well done to her, but don't make it out that her and her family are anything other than economic migrants.

Literally engineers and a doctor-in-the making. They'll benefit society. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Even though I wish her all the best it is slightly odd that the full story behind this scholarship hasn’t been told

Where’s the transparency on this one?

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Why are rte telling us of this one girl achievement, sure aren't all immigrants from Syria highly educated engineers and doctors etc.

These literally are that and people still aren't happy lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

splinter65 wrote: »

She got 500 odd points, 540 I think.

Edit: 584, it’s 729 points to qualify for RCSI. Spent 5 years in Dubai before coming here for “asylum”. Was there a war in Syria in 2010/11??

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Hey, why don't you share yours?

Little envious, maybe?

Little bit bitter and jealous looks like.

Advertisement