Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ugh two of my nominees here.

That KO of Aldo was stunning but let's call a spade a spade here it's a very niche and small proportion of people who actually care about it.

Taylor for me it was an amazing moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Katie Taylor winning the Olympic Gold. I was in work at the time in a prison of all places and the officers and the inmates were all on the same page and it was wonderful. Think I might have saw a few emotional gangsters and everything.

Katie for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Sorry got the video wrong there, I’ll update it when I’m back to the laptop

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Katie Taylor's gold. A huge sporting moment for the country. The less said about the other eejit the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Katie Taylor gold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Green&Red wrote: »
    Sorry got the video wrong there, I’ll update it when I’m back to the laptop

No need, hes already dead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Late to the party.

Going to vote McGregor, part of the rise in popularity in MMA which first got my attention even if now we all know he's a bollox of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Katie's Gold, and Eamonn Coghlan too (if that vote is still open and looking for votes?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Jealous!

I was on the tube full of fans, it was awesome. Missed it live as I was at another event but it looked incredible on TV

Katie for me

Just checked, I was watching USA beat Australia in the semi final of the women's basketball, so who's the real winner here?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm not a huge fan of McGregor but for some reason stayed up to watch that fight and went mental when he won. It was spectacular.
    Katie still gets my vote for her career achievements and for seemingly being a really decent person (I saw a documentary) If it's the one Gold I still vote Katie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Half the country watched Taylor, the McGregor fight probably got a fraction of that watching live.definitely Taylor

jasonb wrote: »
    Katie's Gold, and Eamonn Coghlan too (if that vote is still open and looking for votes?)

Yes, thanks for that

So Katie delivers a knock-out to McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Weepsie wrote: »
    Half the country watched Taylor, the McGregor fight probably got a fraction of that watching live.definitely Taylor

I've never seen a Taylor fight, I've seen a few of Mcgregors.
    Still have to give it to Katey, Mcgregors' personality lets him down badly.

Next up

Europe come back from the dead for the Miracle in Medinah

V

One of the greatest of all time losing the head on the biggest stage, Au revoir to Zidane

The ryder cup gets my vote, the other is just an infamous moment IMO

Yep, Ryder Cup for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Ryder cup for me as "best", ZZ was mental but not in a good way. Medinah was magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well, ZZ's act wasn't a sporting event, so........

Ryder Cup gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Couldn't give a toss about golf tbh. Zidane's headbutt was outrageous and memorable but as said it was for the wrong reasons and certainly not sporting. A shameful end to his illustrious career.

I'd much rather remember him for things like this, in a Champions League Final, no less

giphy.gif

No decision here for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ryder cup for me ZZ not a real sporting moment that should be remembered

Next up is a huge battle

IMO the greatest Irish athlete of all time, the chairman of the boards Eamon Coughlan and his 1983 world championship gold with that cheeky smile as he knew he had it. Was robbed of Olympic gold by drug cheats

Versus the man who's milk poster adorned my wall as a child, united the north in their support for him, Barry McGuigan wins the world title at loftus road

Just a reminder that this contest is still outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Ryder Cup...the other was just common assault

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

McGuigan Coughlan I can't decide. Either one had a great chance of winning any of the other matchups.
    I genuinely can't pick one over the other. I've made a decision several times now and reversed it. It's probably something to do with my age profile.

I'm actually going to go with ZZ for the other. A disappointing end to a career but some things are more important than careers. In the heat of the moment, what Matarezi, allegedly said about his family he deserved a dig even in a WC final.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    McGuigan Coughlan I can't decide. Either one had a great chance of winning any of the other matchups.
    I genuinely can't pick one over the other. I've made a decision several times now and reversed it. It's probably something to do with my age profile.

Come on Gimli, you can do it!

(It should be Coughlan)

Right Padraig and the lads progress 6-0

The next one is going to be very close

The Giro, the world championships and the tour, yes he was allegedly juiced up but it was still an amazing achievement

V

One of the most iconic moments of Irish sport every, Dennis Taylor wins snookers world championship on the black against a player at the peak of his powers

Yes I know he was allegedly doped but it was still an amazing achievement given they were all at it. The stage climbing La Planche and Delgado sped away from him, the moment when you see Roche coming the fog still gives me goosebumps

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Dennis Taylor...the celebration alone was worth it

• Advertisement

yes he was allegedly juiced up but it was still an amazing achievement

From the point of view of the effect it had on the country at the time, when Ireland was just finding its identity/confidence on the world stage, I'd be tempted to go with Roche. But because of the sentence above, and in general my inability to trust any sporting achievement in Cycling, I'm going to vote for the Snooker...

Advertisement