Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Leicester go through with as much bother as they had from Spurs that season

Next up is a huge battle

IMO the greatest Irish athlete of all time, the chairman of the boards Eamon Coughlan and his 1983 world championship gold with that cheeky smile as he knew he had it. Was robbed of Olympic gold by drug cheats

Versus the man who's milk poster adorned my wall as a child, united the north in their support for him, Barry McGuigan wins the world title at loftus road

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Leicester. Possibly the greatest sports story ever.

Coughlan gets my vote, like I said I think hes our greatest ever athlete and in a stacked event like the 1500m this is some acheivement

Eamonn Coughlan, finally getting the gold medal he deserved.

• Advertisement

Eamon Coughlan for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Barry McGuigan, old enough to remember it, and a great achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Eamonn vs Barry.....
    Very close one.
    Really agree with the impact Barry had in uniting the country at the time but also think Eamonn's was excellent.

Barry for me. Just.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Eamon Coughlan for me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gonna give Barry a vote here myself.

It's very close though.

• Advertisement

I'm going to leave this one here for the evening, hopefully Eamon pulls through

I'll pick up again tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Barry for me as even though I was around for both I just about remember being aware of Mcguigan's win - certainly more so as I grew up.

Am I missing the results by the way or are we running simultaneous questions?

New glasses needed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Collie D wrote: »
    Barry for me as even though I was around for both I was just about remember being aware of Mcguigan's win - certainly more so as I grew up.

Am I missing the results by the way or are we running simultaneous questions?

Only been 4 matches so far and the results have been listed

4-4

This was always going to be close

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Barry McGuigan for me. He became so much more than a boxer, he bridged the divide when it needed bridging and was a great man. That was all possible because of this win

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

That's a tough one, Coughlan was screwed out of a lot in his career, McGuigan was an extremely uniting force and his win was momentous.

McGuigan just shades it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

I'll forget his current problems with Frampton and go for wee Barry....very exciting fighter, and an uncle of mine was the last to fight him as an amateur...mind you that should mean i go against him doesn't it?

We'll leave Eamon and Barry there for a while

Next up and I hope theres only one winner here

Usain Bolt's 100m win in Beijing, amazing to do it on the biggest day

Versus a couple of lucky goals for United against Bayern

Bolt, probably the most amazing athlete we'll ever have the privilege of seeing in our lifetimes. Plus as a Leeds fan I could never vote for that lot in red.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I will vote Bolt, great individual performance. I could never hold my head up high again if I voted United.

• Advertisement

Bolt, let's not be silly here. There's only one European cup final worthy of progressing and it's not this one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

You first three are all completely wrong.....the 99 Champions League Final for me, when taken in the context of the whole seasons achievements its the greatest sporting event ever...full stop, no arguments, you might as well go home now

Bolt obviously gets my vote, amazing sprinter

irishejit wrote: »
    You first three are all completely wrong.....the 99 Champions League Final for me, when taken in the context of the whole seasons achievements its the greatest sporting event ever...full stop, no arguments, you might as well go home now

Fancy sticking in a vote for the Eamon Coughlan V Barry McGuigan tie

irishejit wrote: »

True, fluking the CL after only amassing 79pts in a poor domestic league is more impressive than it would seem these days, when the English entrants to the CL are much stronger ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Bolt for me but to what extent that's because the other option is Utd remains unclear.
    If Jamaican athletics is found to be dodgy and there are rumours it is still Bolt, if Bolt is a robot, it's still Bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

United champions league final, incredible game that Bayern should have been out of sight in. Unbelievable two minute spell, amazing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

A toughie. I'm a United fan and that was an incredible night but there's something about being the fastest man on earth that surpasses most if not all sporting achievements for me.

Bolt for me. But won't be too disappointed to see it lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's probably moot at this stage but the drama of the 99 Final was something to behold. The Bolt run was amazing but it's blink and you miss it (which says a lot about him tbf!). The tension, the rolling of the dice with the keeper up, playing the whole game 1-0 down only to crush the opponents in that fashion. Fairytale stuff.

Champions League for me

• Advertisement

6-3

United could hardly come back again?

Edit: remember I’m still looking for votes in the last tie, if you haven’t voted do me a solid

Advertisement