Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Green&Red wrote: »
    Fancy sticking in a vote for the Eamon Coughlan V Barry McGuigan tie

Already have G&R, the post before this tie was put up

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sorry United fans, its Bolt for me.

I remember exactly where I was for that run, can't say the same for the CL Final despite knowing I did watch it.

Doesnt have the same meaning for me either I think as it's more personal to fans of the club I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So Usain sprints into round 2

Brazil suffered a humiliating defeat at home in the 2014 world cup, 7-1 to the Germans

Or

Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10 in Montreal 1976

I think the 7-1 is more about embarrassment so my vote is for Comaneci

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Comaneci for me....her achievement as the first 10 will always be remembered, I'd forgotten about that drubbing until the post came up so that should say everything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Germany. Too young for Comaneci. The game itself was a spectacle as hammerings like that just shouldn't happen in a World Cup semi. Also a huge amount of schadenfreude in that I'd been in the Aviva two years previously when Germany beat us 1-6 so nice to see a top level country be at the end of an even worse hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Comaneci for me. Never heard of her but just had a quick read. A team trashing another team take a lot of luck in that the other implodes. Taking nothing away from the achievement, though that individual performance just seems like a lot more preparation went into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I think the 7-1 is more about embarrassment so my vote is for Comaneci

So, the germans didn't play great to get 7-1 against brazil?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Nadia was before my time but obviously she's still iconic. However to drub the greatest nation on earth when it comes to soccer, at their own world cup, in a semi final was surreal. Some of the imagery from it summed it up. Transcended age, race, gender. Just an absolute one off.

brazil-boy.gif

did-they-just-score.gif

source.gif

Germany v Brazil for me.

• Advertisement

sKeith wrote: »
    So, the germans didn't play great to get 7-1 against brazil?

I mean more it’s memorable because it was in Brazil and they got embarrassed.
    Plus some of the Brazil lads lied down, David Luiz I’m looking at you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Comaneci for me. Ground breaking performance. Whilst the 7-1 was a crazy event it was almost one of those fluke performances in the first half where every shot went in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Comaneci - Hers was about achievement and perfection. Brazil was the exact opposite. Anyone can be beaten.

5-2, closer than the soccer match

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Nadia, it's an iconic moment in Sport. The humiliation of Brazil doesn't create warm happy feelings for me despite fuzzy hair's tears

I'm going to allow Nadia to advance at 6-2

They invented the game but it didn't stop Ireland beating them at the 2011 Cricket world cup, everyone loves a good win over England

Or

The first Liverpool entry, the Gerrard final

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

The cricket, what a day, watched cricket for years and Irish cricket, that was amazing. That team really made a name on the international scene

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

As a Liverpool fan, Ireland's win. It's only the FA Cup and was great at the time but it was only the FA Cup.

Liverpool fan here too, that’s not even the best Liverpool FA cup final win, the ’89 final with Aldridge and Rush was absolutely fantastic.

Ireland beating England was huge and gets my vote

• Advertisement

The cricket I guess. Sure it was a novelty and a bandwagon but I don't even know what the other option is referring to without clicking in. Having hovered over it, it's just an English team winning an English cup final against a considerably lower ranked English team.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cricket for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Liverpool fan, no interest in cricket

Vote cricket
    I mean, it was monumental. Even I cared!

The cricketers hit Gerrard for six and advance

Love him or hate him the 13 second KO from McGregor on Aldo was impressive

Or

Our first gold medal for 16 years, Katie Taylor was instrumental in getting woman's boxing included in the Olympics and backed up her status as the greatest

I think McGregor is a knacker so wouldn’t vote for him anyway but saw Taylor at the London Olympics, the place was hopping, one of the best atmospheres I’ll ever see

Katie for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I think McGregor is a knacker so wouldn’t vote for him anyway but saw Taylor at the London Olympics, the place was hopping, one of the best atmospheres I’ll ever see

Katie for me

Jealous!

I was on the tube full of fans, it was awesome. Missed it live as I was at another event but it looked incredible on TV

Katie for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Italia 90. Not a specific moment, the whole thing. Other sporting moments haven't even come close to the countrywide euphoria. You had awesome moments of Irish sport with a great soundtrack to go with it. The medley is still played

Italia 90. Not a specific moment, the whole thing. Other sporting moments haven't even come close to the countrywide euphoria. You had awesome moments of Irish sport with a great soundtrack to go with it. The medley is still played

Do you not get the concept of what's going on here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Katie.

Real talent.
    Real role model.

Advertisement