Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is it true Connolly's Red Mills are down 600k in sales after their decision to drop sponsorship of the greyhound industry after the RTE program was aired?

Is it true Connolly's Red Mills are down 600k in sales after their decision to drop sponsorship of the greyhound industry after the RTE program was aired?

I'd imagine you wouldn't know that unless (a) they stated it publicly or you have access to their EOY accounts? Certainly a long list of sponsorship deserters and non-renewals

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0705/1060371-connolly-red-mills-greyhounds/

Attendance at meetings down 20% though
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/attendance-at-greyhound-tracks-drops-20-after-rté-expose-1.4023770

I'd imagine you wouldn't know that unless (a) they stated it publicly or you have access to their EOY accounts? Certainly a long list of sponsorship deserters and non-renewals

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0705/1060371-connolly-red-mills-greyhounds/

Attendance at meetings down 20% though
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/attendance-at-greyhound-tracks-drops-20-after-rté-expose-1.4023770

If you actually read the links you provided, you will find that while Red Mills did withdraw their sponsorship, they reconsidered and have instead given their sponsorship funds to welfare. Of the other sponsors who withdrew their funding, the total amount was in the region of €10,000 as revealed in the PAC meeting.

The 20% refers to the immediate aftermath of the RTÉ hatchet job. Figures have increased dramatically since then as greyhound fans turn out to support their hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I asked because I was told it was their dog food division and printed in the independent business section.

Anyways doesn't matter. If they gave their sponsorship money to a greyhound charity it's some consolation.

Edit: pity someone didn't help me out on this. Your man that told me must have made a mistake. They had a fall in sales of 6% last year. So seemingly totally unrelated to the scandal. Apologies to red mills and all concerned.
    Article that person must have read must have been this on the farmers journal.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/sales-fall-at-kilkenny-pet-food-company-rednut-493783

That's me done with second hand information. That article is behind a paywall but I can't help ye with that.
    2nd edit: according to that article it'd be a fall of 1.8m in sales. But anyways. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I posted a sad face on the Shelbourne Park Christmas Party Ad on Facebook. That was enough to block me on Facebook. They clearly dont like those who dont agree with them.

The comments on it read like forced fun and are cringey.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    I posted a sad face on the Shelbourne Park Christmas Party Ad on Facebook. That was enough to block me on Facebook. They clearly dont like those who dont agree with them.

The comments on it read like forced fun and are cringey.

Just like the antis pages. Anything that they don’t agree with is deleted and the poster blocked. They only want to see photos of ill, hungry or injured dogs, often not even greyhounds!

The 20% refers to the immediate aftermath of the RTÉ hatchet job. Figures have increased dramatically since then as greyhound fans turn out to support their hobby.

Article dated mid Sept- long after programmer aired. How much are you being paid to write this spin?

Article dated mid Sept- long after programmer aired. How much are you being paid to write this spin?

When was the program aired? How many weeks data was used? Shelbourne Park and Curraheen Park had record attendances in recent weeks. They’re the only tracks I’ve been to recently. Doggie people are fighting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

When was the program aired? How many weeks data was used? Shelbourne Park and Curraheen Park had record attendances in recent weeks. They’re the only tracks I’ve been to recently. Doggie people are fighting back.

‘UK-wide figures show that 932 dogs died within the racing industry last year, with 242 of these deaths happening trackside’

‘doggie people’?? Christ above.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    ‘UK-wide figures show that 932 dogs died within the racing industry last year, with 242 of these deaths happening trackside’

‘doggie people’?? Christ above.

RIP doggies :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

IGB 2018 financial report finally out: https://www.igb.ie/globalassets/report-pdfs/annual-reports/annual-report-2018.pdf

Seems like selling off one facility got a big infusion of cash which was needed, though 2018 was impacted by adverse weather (storms & drought).

2019 should be much more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just heard an advert on the radio telling people, that by booking a night at the dogs, they would be doing a good deed for Greyhounds.

Just as expected they are using the so called welfare fund as a marketing tool.

Discodog wrote: »
    Just heard an advert on the radio telling people, that by booking a night at the dogs, they would be doing a good deed for Greyhounds.

Just as expected they are using the so called welfare fund as a marketing tool.

I heard that weeks ago....it was...have a fantastic night and do your good deed at the same time.

Cringe!

Well, if that's your good deed, I'd hate to see what you'd do to people you dont like.

I heard that weeks ago....it was...have a fantastic night and do your good deed at the same time.

Cringe!

Well, if that's your good deed, I'd hate to see what you'd do to people you dont like.

I've said a number of times on this thread, i don't necessarily want to see the GH industry destroyed- just greatly reformed.

But the fact that the industry hasn't done anything visible to change the culture of this industry in the last 6 months, I don't see why we should be supporting anything right now.

If it has to die first before rising phoenix-like from the ashes in a new format, then fine- I don't like to see any honest hard working people losing their jobs- but if those jobs are based on cruelty to animals, then they're not real jobs.

A greyhound suffered a broken leg and was destroyed at Shelbourne Park stadium on Friday evening, ICABS has learned.

A horrified eyewitness at the Dublin stadium described the shocking scene as the bleeding dog, with a bone in his front leg “popped out”, was carried away after the “Book Your Christmas Party” race. It is understood that the greyhound was “put to sleep” at the stadium.

The greyhound is believed to have been 3-year-old Suzies Mick. Video footage posted on the Irish Greyhound Board Youtube channel shows him making contact with another dog at the first bend before veering away to the side of the track towards a GAIN sponsorship sign https://youtu.be/BP5_LTlo95U

Race details on the IGB website confirm that Suzies Mick “did not finish” the race.

The injured and destroyed greyhound is the latest in a long line of victims at Shelbourne Park, one of the worst tracks in Ireland for injuries and deaths.

At least 167 greyhounds suffered injuries and 39 were killed by a track vet at Shelbourne Park over the past five years alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

A greyhound suffered a broken leg and was destroyed at Shelbourne Park stadium on Friday evening, ICABS has learned.

A horrified eyewitness at the Dublin stadium described the shocking scene as the bleeding dog, with a bone in his front leg “popped out”, was carried away after the “Book Your Christmas Party” race. It is understood that the greyhound was “put to sleep” at the stadium.

The greyhound is believed to have been 3-year-old Suzies Mick. Video footage posted on the Irish Greyhound Board Youtube channel shows him making contact with another dog at the first bend before veering away to the side of the track towards a GAIN sponsorship sign https://youtu.be/BP5_LTlo95U

Race details on the IGB website confirm that Suzies Mick “did not finish” the race.

The injured and destroyed greyhound is the latest in a long line of victims at Shelbourne Park, one of the worst tracks in Ireland for injuries and deaths.

At least 167 greyhounds suffered injuries and 39 were killed by a track vet at Shelbourne Park over the past five years alone.

This is heartbreaking. That poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

This is heartbreaking. That poor dog.

Vinnie Jones will be delighted to hear this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I've said a number of times on this thread, i don't necessarily want to see the GH industry destroyed- just greatly reformed.

It should be banned completely. How do you reform an industry that's based on killing defenceless animals??
    But the fact that the industry hasn't done anything visible to change the culture of this industry in the last 6 months, I don't see why we should be supporting anything right now.

Shows how small minded and stuck in the dark ages the members of this "industry" are.
    An investigation into their practices and they do nothing about it.
    If it has to die first before rising phoenix-like from the ashes in a new format, then fine- I don't like to see any honest hard working people losing their jobs- but if those jobs are based on cruelty to animals, then they're not real jobs.

If theyre cruel to animals they aren't honest ,hard working people. They are part of the problem. **** em and let them loose their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

any "industry" based on exploiting animals for gain is way outdated and needs outlawing.

Graces7 wrote: »
    any "industry" based on exploiting animals for gain is way outdated and needs outlawing.

So you’d advocate banning horse racing? Pigeon racing? Crufts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So you’d advocate banning horse racing? Pigeon racing? Crufts?

Wish I had put money on this being the rather inane response and attempt at distraction!

If you see dogs as like horses or pigeons?

Please focus on the subject? Thank you so very very much.

A dog is a companion animal. Loyal and utterly devoted. making money out of that is unspeakable. They will do anything for their owner, and racing is capitalising on that . A dog is the most naïve critter there is. Making them race to make money is like stealing milk from a baby.

You do not curl up on the settee with a horse or a pigeon :rolleyes:

Crufts?

Wish I had put money on this being the rather inane response and attempt at distraction!

A dog is a companion animal. Loyal and utterly devoted. making money out of that is unspeakable. They will do anything for their owner, and racing is capitalising on that . A dog is the most naïve critter there is. Making them race to make money is like stealing milk from a baby.

Crufts?

Greyhounds are bred for racing, not as companion dogs. Though, they DO make great companions!
    Likewise, sheepdogs are bred to work.

Crufts?

I am focusing on the subject- you’re the one saying the sweeping statement you wouldn’t support any industry where animals are exploited for gain- al industries I mentioned exploit animals for gain- the don’t necessarily Ill-treat the animals but they do exploit them

Do you not cuddle up to a horse on a Friday night to watch the late late show? :P

Greyhounds are bred for racing, not as companion dogs. Though, they DO make great companions!
    Likewise, sheepdogs are bred to work.

Maryanne, can I ask what you think about Suzie's Mick' s death in the Book your Christmas Party Race last week?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So you’d advocate banning horse racing?

Id agree with banning horse racing--its a "sport" that's just as bad as greyhound racing.

Massive crowd in Shelbourne Park Saturday night for the annual Night Of Stars. Great to see.

Massive crowd in Shelbourne Park Saturday night for the annual Night Of Stars. Great to see.

Sooner the better it's banned once and for all.
    The attendees are idiots supporting this cruelty.

Hellrazer wrote: »

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Hellrazer wrote: »

But they love the dogs, Hellrazer. So much so they’ll risk the possibility of seeing the dog actually die on the track.

Such beautiful dogs.

• Advertisement

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    But they love the dogs, Hellrazer. So much so they’ll risk the possibility of seeing the dog actually die on the track.

Such beautiful dogs.

They love the money in their grubby little pockets

Advertisement