Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The charity stuff for any company is mostly for pr but if it’s helping sick children who cares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I read that there and I’m still not sure it’s not petty. It seems his issue is that he wasn’t a part of Connor’s in-ring deal when it was his idea, which doesn’t really matter because the end result was that Connor still got to have his moment right? Like if that was really what Justin wanted because he was so benevolent, he got it, so what’s the issue exactly? The only thread remaining is that he’s unhappy he wasn’t a central part.

Like his story essentially goes “I’m not a bitter ex-employee but...” (“I’m not a racist but...”), then goes into how WWE doesn’t appreciate good employees that do stuff behind the scenes like Mark Yeaton, then describes how he did everything behind the scenes with Connor, then the emotional gut punch is supposed to be how Triple H was in the ring instead of him when Connor had his moment, which was Justin’s idea. But that’s only a gut punch if you view it from the lense where Justin is the main focus. If Connor is, and he should be, again he still got to have his moment. And he seems oblivious to the fact that he’s guilty of the same thing he’s accusing WWE of: he’s invoking Connor’s name to generate interest in this blog and take shots at WWE, and later to sell books. Even people here are invoking his name as a stick to beat WWE with. At least when they invoked his name, the end result was money going to charity. None of it is a good look for anyone involved, but WWE has a good end result at least.

The Stephanie quote is poor form, no doubt. But it’s more naive of her to admit it, when in truth all big corporations like WWE use charity as a way to build their brand (many use it as a tax write-off too). AEW are guilty of this too: remember Kenny Omega tried to use the victims of gun violence as a reason people should watch AEW’s charity show over Evolve? That was pretty disgusting, but he gets a pass because he’s ‘cool’ and does flips and ****.

All we’re getting here is a bunch of self-obsessed narcissists arguing, “No, these horrific things should benefit ME and make ME look good.” Nobody here looks good, Justin included, it’s just a petty mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Isn't that what happens when anyone in the entertainment industry writes a book (though I'm sure there are many who write one with honorable intentions especially if they've led an interesting enough career) spin it from their POV to make them look good, better than usual,everyone else be damned. It is show business after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

20 years ago tonight the hardy boys and edge and Christian had the now famous ladder match in the best of five T.I.T(Terri invatarional tournament btw) at no mercy 1999. I did tape this and watched it live and compared to today where the fans will pop on anything ladder related, the crowd in the arena and probably those of us who watched it at the time took a bit of time to work out what we were mean to do doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If Daniel Bryan is like this every week on the Bella's podcast, I'd probably listen to it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/diva6p/daniel_bryan_hilarious_promolike_debate_on_women/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    20 years ago tonight the hardy boys and edge and Christian had the now famous ladder match in the best of five T.I.T(Terri invatarional tournament btw) at no mercy 1999. I did tape this and watched it live and compared to today where the fans will pop on anything ladder related, the crowd in the arena and probably those of us who watched it at the time took a bit of time to work out what we were mean to do doing.

You could say that match was the precursor for the TLC matches. From that match, we later got the Triangle Ladder Match at Wrestlemania 2000 with The Dudleys, The Hardy and Edge and Christian, then we got the TLC matches at Summerslam 2000 and Wresltmania 17. Was a beautiful time for the tag team division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Riddle101 wrote: »
    You could say that match was the precursor for the TLC matches. From that match, we later got the Triangle Ladder Match at Wrestlemania 2000 with The Dudleys, The Hardy and Edge and Christian, then we got the TLC matches at Summerslam 2000 and Wresltmania 17. Was a beautiful time for the tag team division.

Not to mention the Tables Match in between at Royal Rumble 2000 between Hardys and Dudleys when Jeff swanton bombed off the balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

Omackeral wrote:
    Not to mention the Tables Match in between at Royal Rumble 2000 between Hardys and Dudleys when Jeff swanton bombed off the balcony.

Definitely fair to say! Come to think of it I can't think of any other teams in WWE's late '90s to early '00s outside of that trio besides Too Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Omackeral wrote: »

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Very interesting how everything seemed to build to the TLC Matches. They really build those feuds up well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On that note: I guess The Dudley Boys are the greatest tag team in history. When you look at what they've done.

The Fabulous Kangaroos would like a word.

What exactly would be the criteria for the greatest tag team in history?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The Road Warriors are surely up there in the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Definitely fair to say! Come to think of it I can't think of any other teams in WWE's late '90s to early '00s outside of that trio besides Too Cool.

The New Age Outlaws and the APA were big players at that time too.

Omackeral wrote:

Totally drew blanks. How could I forget New Age Outlaws and A.P.A.?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote: »

Did we have that tournament? I feel like we had the tournament over the titles.

Just sayin'

giphy.gif

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057073778

Probably the best of the countless tournaments I did. So many great teams and solid discussion.

As was always the case I explicitly asked to vote for your favourite team and not the "greatest" team. TBF it's hard to look past the Dudleys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ShagNastii wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057073778

Probably the best of the countless tournaments I did. So many great teams and solid discussion.

As was always the case I explicitly asked to vote for your favourite team and not the "greatest" team. TBF it's hard to look past the Dudleys.

:o
    Well this is embarrassing. I think I even participated in that.

Sorry Shaggers :pac:

Necro wrote: »
    :o
    Well this is embarrassing. I think I even participated in that.

Sorry Shaggers :pac:

Enough time has passed to reboot and do it again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

2013. 5 wrestling years is basically 10 in normal years.

A lot of tag teams in the last half decade that could have a serious run and tag teams that would have been involved in the tournment that would have done more business post tourney.

I think the New Day, The Bar, Young Bucks, DIY legit stand with the greats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Another tattoo for Balor. He must be going through an early mid life crisis. He's already got the leather jacket. Before you know it, he'll be driving to the ring in a sports car, listening to Bruce Springsteen, with a Thai bride in the passenger seat.

sirmanga wrote: »
    Another tattoo for Balor. He must be going through an early mid life crisis. He's already got the leather jacket. Before you know it, he'll be driving to the ring in a sports car, listening to Bruce Springsteen, with a Thai bride in the passenger seat.

Well it worked out for Jericho mid life crises I’m sure it will work for Finn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sky88 wrote: »
    Well it worked out for Jericho mid life crises I’m sure it will work for Finn

Jericho has a personality to get his character over. The promo he cut last week is something so far above Balor's ability it's an embarrassing comparison.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Jericho has a personality to get his character over. The promo he cut last week is something so far above Balor's ability it's an embarrassing comparison.

And I don’t know what Jericho promo this week has to do with him getting terrible tattoos during a mid life crises

Tattoo's aren't horrible if they mean something to the person who's getting them.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Tattoo's aren't horrible if they mean something to the person who's getting them.

Very true but you can still think there bad but I’m sure they don’t care about what I think anyway

sky88 wrote: »
    Very true but you can still think there bad but I’m sure they don’t care about what I think anyway

Depends on the person I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I pop everytime the Rainmaker camera is used for The Best Friends hug in AEW

Do we think the miz gets/will get enough credit for what he's done in WWE ? I mean he's 21 days away from the being the longest intercontinental heavyweight champion passing the late Pedro morales in combined number of days as champion. He's been a WWE champ, an eight time IC champ(one behind the record holder Y2J),a United States champion, and a multi time tag champ, and a money in the bank winner.

Do we think he'll be in the hall of fame one day ? I think he will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I don't think Jericho is as great as people say. I always viewed him as an upper mid carder. The current era has so few wrestlers with personality that it makes Jericho stand out head and shoulders above the rest.

When Jericho was around real stars like Rock, Austin and Hogan, he was dwarfed by them. And yes, I know that he was younger then. But if you could transport the Jericho of now back to then, he would be a mid card act. Especially with the flabby physique and pouting face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Where is Jack Gallagher and his umbrella these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

205 Live. He fought Brian Kendrick this week.

Speaking of, seems 205 Live is back after their break and saying they'll be using NXT guys after the Draft moved Gulak, Tozawa, Humberto and Lucha House Party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Do we think the miz gets/will get enough credit for what he's done in WWE ? I mean he's 21 days away from the being the longest intercontinental heavyweight champion passing the late Pedro morales in combined number of days as champion. He's been a WWE champ, an eight time IC champ(one behind the record holder Y2J),a United States champion, and a multi time tag champ, and a money in the bank winner.

Do we think he'll be in the hall of fame one day ? I think he will.

I do think he deserves to go into Hall of Fame even though he has landed into obscurity since after his feud with Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What exactly would be the criteria for the greatest tag team in history?

People will always have personal favourites and that's fine. When you look at the career tho the Dudleys are up there.

From ecw. To WWE. To TNA. From the classic tlc matches to the overall span of their career. It's just hard to top them.

People will always have personal favourites and that's fine. When you look at the career tho the Dudleys are up there.

From ecw. To WWE. To TNA. From the classic tlc matches to the overall span of their career. It's just hard to top them.

They definitely have a claim to stake. While I don't expect many to rate them since they were before probably most of our time, The Fabulous Kangaroos who I mentioned previously, deserves a nod. Many of the same kind of achievements Dudley Boyz have they did it before and helped to popularize tag team wrestling in the '50s and '60s. Also, they were one of the top drawing teams in Capitol Wrestling (WWE in its early years) along w/ Antonino Rocca/Miguel Perez, The Graham Brothers (Dr. Jerry and Eddie), Mark Lewin/Don Curtis and The Bastien Brothers (Red and Lou Bastien).

Saw this on Reddit, a promo from Becky in a pizza place years ago. Possibly after a few drinks...

https://twitter.com/BeckyFanJoe/status/1186641896199872514

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone here fans of the Whatculture wrestling podcasts ??

I do find them informative but quite annoying esp when they shout into the mics. Adam Wilborn is the biggest culprit of this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Can't stand them. Every video feels like they're trying to cut a promo and be super duper charismatic.

What t-shirt would've been the biggest waste of money, in the sense of a storyline change or title change? Maybe someone released a new title themed t-shirt just before losing the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can't imagine Benoit merch being a huge draw prior to his murdering.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What t-shirt would've been the biggest waste of money, in the sense of a storyline change or title change? Maybe someone released a new title themed t-shirt just before losing the title.

There was a shirt released for the very short-lived Jericho and AJ tag team. They released a Y2AJ shirt and they lasted a week before Jericho turned on AJ.

Becky had a Becky two belts shirt not long before she lost one at MITB.

I can't imagine Benoit merch being a huge draw prior to his murdering.

Never heard anything to that effect so I doubt it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Likeabossboss

I think this is the worst state WWE has been in since I remember which is twenty years.

If RAW stays at is there in huge trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I think this is the worst state WWE has been in since I remember which is twenty years.

If RAW stays at is there in huge trouble.

Totally agree, worst it's been since the mid 90's for me. Despite that fact they have:

Biggest Talent Pool
    Most Money in the bank (pardon the pun)
    Highest profile advertisers
    Most lucrative TV deals

Boggles the mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

In my case social media is deff helping me keep up with this new wrestling war

In too young to remember the wwf vs wcw vs ECW stuff in the 90s but I imagine its was a little more difficult to follow with social media/internet not been what it is today

• Advertisement

Do people here think the WWE women’s revolution was ever a sincere move by WWE or was it a marketing ploy by Stephanie amongst others in the company to help build the brand of WWE ?

Listen I’m delighted that the women in WWE were given the chance to show that in some cases they are as good as their male counterparts in the ring. Maybe it’s the way American company’s seem to be not be very subtle about it and obvious.

Do people here think the WWE women’s revolution was ever a sincere move by WWE or was it a marketing ploy by Stephanie amongst others in the company to help build the brand of WWE ?

Listen I’m delighted that the women in WWE were given the chance to show that in some cases they are as good as their male counterparts in the ring. Maybe it’s the way American company’s seem to be not be very subtle about it and obvious.

I'm leaning heavily towards Option #2.

If it was sincere, it would've come about without needing Stephanie's involvement, but alas it didn't.

I'm leaning heavily towards Option #2.

If it was sincere, it would've come about without needing Stephanie's involvement, but alas it didn't.

Yeah I hate to agree with you. It’s just there was a tweet about 185(I think) WWE female employees including wrestlers. And the phrase building your brand was mentioned.

Yeah I hate to agree with you. It’s just there was a tweet about 185(I think) WWE female employees including wrestlers. And the phrase building your brand was mentioned.

Plus it all ties back into what JR said when he fired back at Seth, the brand is more important. Or paraphrasing off the top of my head what he said anyways.

Well their all women PPV, to me, was both a vehicle for Ronda and a way to make up for the first Saudi PPV where no women were allowed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement