Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Omackeral wrote: »
    I don't get the want for it really.

Aside from maybe Shayna bashing Drake Maverick or someone, I couldn't really get behind a man vs woman match. Becky vs Ellsworth was alright as well as it was an eejit getting comeuppance but as a serious contest I personally wouldn't be into it. As far as a counter argument goes, I'd say my reason for having no want for it is the same reasons that we don't have men vs women in any other combat sports, men are just bigger and stronger mostly. I know we see things like Mysterio winning the World Title but I think that was a bit lame too, his subsequent booking showed that up.

In essence, I don't mind the ladies getting a shine against the blokes in things like 24/7 situations or when they kill geeks. The other possibility would be having a killer like Ronda or Shayna doing the business but that's the exception rather than the rule. Chyna too. Maybe even Nia to an extent.

Sorry only saw this now. Yeah I’d have had a similar enough in attitude a while back in needing to see reality in wrestling to get a bit of bite. Now I’ve kinda gone the other way. The toothpaste is out of the tube and stuff that connects with me personally is stuff that readily admits wrestling is fake. It doesn’t have to be about that mind, Cody/Dustin is a good example: a serious story but also one that doesn’t make any sense if you analyse it too hard (These guys want to kill each other, why? Now they’re closer than ever after killing each other, why?). But it still works because it’s something we want to see done well, so we’ll fill in the gaps ourselves. Nowadays if you try and pretend wrestling is real, it makes me roll my eyes a bit. The only way you make it feel real again is by acknowledging what the audience already knows and respecting them at that level.

Intergender kinda goes along those lines for me. There’s no reason women can’t beat up men in this fictional world if that’s what you’re telling me are the rules. I didn’t mind when The Bride did it in Kill Bill, Michonne in TWD, Captain Marvel etc. If it’s performed well in the moment, I’ve zero problem accepting it. It’s no more ridiculous than a ref bump, Irish Whip or rollups being invincible in the 24/7 division.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭briany

leggo wrote: »
    Sorry only saw this now. Yeah I’d have had a similar enough in attitude a while back in needing to see reality in wrestling to get a bit of bite. Now I’ve kinda gone the other way. The toothpaste is out of the tube and stuff that connects with me personally is stuff that readily admits wrestling is fake. It doesn’t have to be about that mind, Cody/Dustin is a good example: a serious story but also one that doesn’t make any sense if you analyse it too hard (These guys want to kill each other, why? Now they’re closer than ever after killing each other, why?). But it still works because it’s something we want to see done well, so we’ll fill in the gaps ourselves. Nowadays if you try and pretend wrestling is real, it makes me roll my eyes a bit. The only way you make it feel real again is by acknowledging what the audience already knows and respecting them at that level.

Intergender kinda goes along those lines for me. There’s no reason women can’t beat up men in this fictional world if that’s what you’re telling me are the rules. I didn’t mind when The Bride did it in Kill Bill, Michonne in TWD, Captain Marvel etc. If it’s performed well in the moment, I’ve zero problem accepting it. It’s no more ridiculous than a ref bump, Irish Whip or rollups being invincible in the 24/7 division.

It's the real world of wrestling which prevents intergender programs. Merely putting male wrestlers in a program opposing female ones has been seen within the industry as a means of burial/punishment upon the male. Having them lose has been pretty much a death knell for their current run. In short, this type of program carries a large backstage stigma. In wrestling, it's neck and neck with being gay in terms of damage to your career.

briany wrote: »
    It's the real world of wrestling which prevents intergender programs. Merely putting male wrestlers in a program opposing female ones has been seen within the industry as a means of burial/punishment upon the male. Having them lose has been pretty much a death knell for their current run. In short, this type of program carries a large backstage stigma. In wrestling, it's neck and neck with being gay in terms of damage to your career.

How is being gay damaging to someone’s career?! WWE used to have a gay Executive VP sure and this was decades ago. And who’s been ‘buried’ after being put in a programme with a woman? Sure Triple H got bashed by Ronda at Mania a couple years ago and he’s usually the one accused of doing the burying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

leggo wrote: »
    How is being gay damaging to someone’s career?! WWE used to have a gay Executive VP sure and this was decades ago. And who’s been ‘buried’ after being put in a programme with a woman? Sure Triple H got bashed by Ronda at Mania a couple years ago and he’s usually the one accused of doing the burying.

Plenty of homophobes out there.
    Sure being gay is open as ever in todays world. That said, still plenty of gay entertainers who hide that fact to appeal to a much wider audience.

I'd agree that being gay can damage your career. In wrestling, its all about selling tickets and merch. Your private life is your own. Keep things to yourself. Image and appeal is an important thing.

Plenty of homophobes out there.
    Sure being gay is open as ever in todays world. That said, still plenty of gay entertainers who hide that fact to appeal to a much wider audience.

I'd agree that being gay can damage your career. In wrestling, its all about selling tickets and merch. Your private life is your own. Keep things to yourself. Image and appeal is an important thing.

When I look at the machismo that still goes along with wrestling, I don't see how being openly gay would be accepted beyond the bounds of P.R. . It wasn't that long ago that JBL was bullying Justin Roberts just for being Justin Roberts, never mind gay, and I doubt a top guy like AJ Styles would be that accepting either - remember how he responded when told his character was popular in the gay community? He didn't take it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ignore what AJ says. He said he's not a flat-earther but the flat earth society do raise some interesting points.

Guy is a bit dense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

He's from Georgia

If he's 10% normal then it's a miracle

Like being Irish but from Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

He's from Georgia

Naaa. Northern Florida is basically Roscommon. Georgia is more akin to Galway. Pretty much nothing of interest outside of one city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

He's from Georgia

Excuse me? Proud Roscommon man right here

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Trying to think of some dream matches which would of been amazing

Sting vs Taker in the 90s
    Edge vs Seth Rollins/Finn Balor/Daniel Bryan/AJ Styles
    Angle vs Bryan/Rollins
    Batista vs Goldberg/Lesner (pure meat heavyweight action)
    Hogan vs Austin
    Eddie Guerrero/Christ Benoit vs Daniel Bryan/AJ Styles/Finn Balor
    Bret Hart vs AJ Styles/Daniel Bryan/Finn Balor

**** the more I think about it Bryan is being used terrible since his return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Eddie vs HBK is my biggest dream match thatll never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Excuse me? Proud Roscommon man right here

Same

Still a fair comparison, Leitrim can be Alabama :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

sky88 wrote: »
    Eddie vs HBK is my biggest dream match thatll never happen

Apparently the plan for WrestleMania 22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

KENTA vs Okada and KENTA vs Tanahashi are two dream matches taking place in the next few weeks. I'd put Moxley vs Naito there too.

Ishii/Cobb and Okada/ZSJ this weekend too.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Trying to think of some dream matches which would of been amazing

Sting vs Taker in the 90s
    Edge vs Seth Rollins/Finn Balor/Daniel Bryan/AJ Styles
    Angle vs Bryan/Rollins
    Batista vs Goldberg/Lesner (pure meat heavyweight action)
    Hogan vs Austin
    Eddie Guerrero/Christ Benoit vs Daniel Bryan/AJ Styles/Finn Balor
    Bret Hart vs AJ Styles/Daniel Bryan/Finn Balor

**** the more I think about it Bryan is being used terrible since his return

Batista v Lesnar happened in OVW

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Having watched the Batista 24 from this week I've a few thoughts and observations.

- Batista for a guy who has been in the spotlight in WWE and on screen and all that goes with both of them is clearly very uncomfortable with it all.
    - Bruce Prichard is clearly back high up the ladder again. He's seen twice including once sitting next to vince at gorilla.
    - vince has an interesting conversation with Batista after a promo Batista does where he says he messed up a few times. Vince replied that that's good and him messing up was real. I found it funny that vince micro manages everything and is a perfectionist in some ways but has no issue with Batista anyway messing up his promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I'm at the Idles gig in Iveagh Gardens and someone is wearing a golden lovers t shirt. Love when wrestling pops up in other things I like.

And as I say that I remember I discovered Idles through Zack Sabre Jr so shouldn't be surprised

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    - Bruce Prichard is clearly back high up the ladder again. He's seen twice including once sitting next to vince at gorilla.

Prichard's practically having a sexual relationship with the WWE, he's been in and out of it so many times.

I'd always thought a great gimmick for Sheamus during his heel Celtic Warrior gimmick would have been to have a guy at ringside playing an Irish war trumpet/carnyx during the matches.

Now, you might hear the sound as being discordant or irritating, but that's kind of the point. When Sheamus would be putting a beatdown on his opponent, this thing would be blaring, making that harsh distorted sound, heard in parts of the video, and then it would shut up when his opponent would make a comeback, thus making his opponent's comeback that much more welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

cian68 wrote: »
    I'm at the Idles gig in Iveagh Gardens and someone is wearing a golden lovers t shirt. Love when wrestling pops up in other things I like.

And as I say that I remember I discovered Idles through Zack Sabre Jr so shouldn't be surprised

Oh that must have been some gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

briany wrote: »
    I'd always thought a great gimmick for Sheamus during his heel Celtic Warrior gimmick would have been to have a guy at ringside playing an Irish war trumpet/carnyx during the matches.

Could have done this when The Bar were feuding with New Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,501 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I just can't do 5 hour ppv's anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

a little gripe with wrestling right now are theres many matches that are just far too long and actually just make the matches worse. they all seem to be just trying to do these epic 45 minute matches all the time but its to much and honestly theirs stretches in the matches that come off as just boring. its happening in every company now as well not just one culprits

Way to much Corey Graves on WWE TV hopefully with Smackdown moving to FOX this will stop him double jobbing and being the main voice throughout a PPV.

He is actually a sh1t colour man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I just can't do 5 hour ppv's anymore.

Agreed.
    Depending on the promotion I find three hours to be hard these days!
    ROH is fine for me. But a WWE three hour show (even a raw?) nah... too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

What is Lesnar's obsession with the Universal Championship? Every time he comes back, he seems to zero in on it, instead of the WWE Championship.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    What is Lesnar's obsession with the Universal Championship? Every time he comes back, he seems to zero in on it, instead of the WWE Championship.

The red matches his complexion so much better

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I wish more people gave a sh-t about 205live those guys can put on some serious matches.

• Advertisement

Enzo was the only saving grace of 205Live and since he got sacked there is no personality to it good or bad.

Advertisement