Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The only person capable of such a shocking twist would be Cena in the modern landscape.

Missed opportunity with the Nexus.

It probably wouldn't work with Cena because there isn't really anyone else at his level for him to turn heel on. They'd either try it with Rollins and no one would care or Reigns and people would cheer for Cena.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,023 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

nannerby wrote: »
    Hope Sting doesn't wrestle he was done for before the injury and will only embarrass himself like hbk and taker if he wrestles again.

The payday would soften the embarrassment no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 28,883 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

sky88 wrote: »
    even now i think cena would get cheered i mean the only real heel in wrestling the last few years was ciampa

its so hard to be a true heel these days as it always seems to be a mixed crowd. I think its why guys like corbin get pushes as he gets heel reactions even if that maybe go away heat a lot of the time

Shayna is a great heel as well.

As for intergender matches, I don't mind them as long as they're somewhat believable but not to the point of the woman being beat like Asuka against Suzuki, even though she apparently wanted that match/outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Speaking of intergender stuff, I have a feeling Corbin is going to hit Becky with a Deep Six or End of Days on Raw. Think Heyman will go for another big moment plus the feud has a jokey feel to it so far. Something like that would add some heat to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

nannerby wrote: »
    Hope Sting doesn't wrestle he was done for before the injury and will only embarrass himself like hbk and taker if he wrestles again.

Sting has no business being in the ring anymore.
    He made his money. He is getting on. The era of the stinger is long gone.
    Of course he does appear to be greedy. He could of went to WWE years ago but chose not to. Eventually taking the money when he was past it and putting on some mediocore matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Sting has no business being in the ring anymore.
    He made his money. He is getting on. The era of the stinger is long gone.
    Of course he does appear to be greedy. He could of went to WWE years ago but chose not to. Eventually taking the money when he was past it and putting on some mediocore matches.

Surely he's the opposite of greedy when he didn't take the WWE money in the early to mid 2000's?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Surely he's the opposite of greedy when he didn't take the WWE money in the early to mid 2000's?

wasnt he on great money in TNA for much less than work than wwe wanted him on

wasnt he on great money in TNA for much less than work than wwe wanted him on

I believe so, iirc TNA needed their tv people to help with his contract and all

Power to him for that, he was usually very good in TNA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

He was on great money in TNA for a lighter schedule for years.
    But apart from that, a question to your question could be why did he take the money from WWE when his body was not up to a previous level and not able to give fans their monies worth?

Plenty of people call certain actors hacks / greedy when they keep doing sequel after sequel of a franchise. Should sting be any different?

hey more power to him. but lets call a spade a spade tho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Whats everyones thoughts on intergender wrestling saw sami callhan vs tessa blanchard was on impact ppv last night.

No interest really. Don't get the horn some people have for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

No particular interest or disinterest either way in intergender stuff, thought it was a really good match though. Tessa is one of the best female wrestlers going for me, fan of Callihan too. Elgin/Page and Impact/Swann were great matches as well, was a good show overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I dunno if I’ve seen people go absolutely crazy for intergender (although I could well have missed some online underworld that’s obsessed with it), but I’ve definitely seen people go crazy about it, which kinda makes me laugh because it tends to expose latent sexism in the same way you see whenever someone famous and popular gets accused of some sexual transgression.

It’s just another form of wrestling for me, and a valid one when done right. If it’s good, it’s good, if it’s not, it’s not. I don’t see anything wrong with the medium itself and don’t see any validity to it making people as angry as it does. I’d be open to listening to a well-formed counter-argument, I’ve just never seen one, it’s always toys out of the pram cuz girlz.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Anyone see a picture of Seth's new t-shirt making the rounds?

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Thanks

I was blissfully ignorant before

Prob sell like mad

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Thanks

I was blissfully ignorant before

Prob sell like mad

Sorry, was ignorant of it myself until a friend snapped a photo of said monstrosity and sent it on to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Lithium93_ wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW9cnAbiyrA

leggo wrote: »
    It’s just another form of wrestling for me, and a valid one when done right. If it’s good, it’s good, if it’s not, it’s not. I don’t see anything wrong with the medium itself and don’t see any validity to it making people as angry as it does. I’d be open to listening to a well-formed counter-argument, I’ve just never seen one, it’s always toys out of the pram cuz girlz.

I don't get the want for it really.

Aside from maybe Shayna bashing Drake Maverick or someone, I couldn't really get behind a man vs woman match. Becky vs Ellsworth was alright as well as it was an eejit getting comeuppance but as a serious contest I personally wouldn't be into it. As far as a counter argument goes, I'd say my reason for having no want for it is the same reasons that we don't have men vs women in any other combat sports, men are just bigger and stronger mostly. I know we see things like Mysterio winning the World Title but I think that was a bit lame too, his subsequent booking showed that up.

In essence, I don't mind the ladies getting a shine against the blokes in things like 24/7 situations or when they kill geeks. The other possibility would be having a killer like Ronda or Shayna doing the business but that's the exception rather than the rule. Chyna too. Maybe even Nia to an extent.

Off the top of my head; Ronda, Charlotte, Bianca Belair, Rhea Ripley. I think can all hang physically/athletically and make it look like an evenly contested match against most of the guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I had a problem with AEW in terms of size of wrestlers, and I kinda get was Nash was saying in terms of size, now in my opinion the likes of Jericho, Benoit and Guerrero aint small guys and i can buy that however when Punk went against Lesner it looked ridiculous. In saying that I liked Daniel Bryan and Lesner.

Like above I can buy it in certain circumstances but in general its not something that intrigues me, in the same vein hardcore matches dont do anytjing for anyone else.

I know wrestling is about suspending disbelief , I get that, and I dont like Joey Ryans dick flip, but I can see how old school is ridiculous but i can buy that. Its hard to explain but realistically if Bevky Lynch had a stand off with Lesner i would find that a bit silly, unless it was just pure defience as in if your gonna hit me just do it if not **** off, but if she started to get offence in on jim and put him in an armbar and he sold it, that would be silly.

Hard one to explain but basing it on sexism is disingenuous

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

No particular interest or disinterest either way in intergender stuff, thought it was a really good match though. Tessa is one of the best female wrestlers going for me, fan of Callihan too. Elgin/Page and Impact/Swann were great matches as well, was a good show overall.

The only match that was a letdown was the tag title match. Big fan of the Rascalz, the North & LAX but it ended up feeling more of an angle than a match.
    LAX are likely leaving so I hope that Santana didnt get legit injured. Johnny Impact is out of contract as of last night too. Supposedly Davey Boy Smith Jr. will start soon but I hope they can pull out a few more exciting signings to keep them going as Impact is probably the most underrated promotion going now.

• Advertisement

But who was that masked man?
    Actually surprised me considering I didn't realise/notice he was done with WWE

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But who was that masked man?
    Actually surprised me considering I didn't realise/notice he was done with WWE

Apparently his contract isnt up until the 17th hence the mask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

ERG89 wrote: »

The only match that was a letdown was the tag title match. Big fan of the Rascalz, the North & LAX but it ended up feeling more of an angle than a match.
    LAX are likely leaving so I hope that Santana didnt get legit injured. Johnny Impact is out of contract as of last night too. Supposedly Davey Boy Smith Jr. will start soon but I hope they can pull out a few more exciting signings to keep them going as Impact is probably the most underrated promotion going now.

Really hope they don't go to WWE. They've been one of the best tag teams in wrestling recently, would like to see them in AEW, triple threat with the Bucks and Luchas would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭briany

The car that Big Boss Man uses when he gatecrashes Big Show's Dad's funeral, big speaker included, is the exact car from the Blues Brothers movie. This is an interesting coincidence because there's a scene in that movie where the Peter Gunn theme plays as that car cruises down the road, and this was also the music that Boss Man used back when he first entered the business as Big Bubba Rogers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

briany wrote: »
    The car that Big Boss Man uses when he gatecrashes Big Show's Dad's funeral, big speaker included, is the exact car from the Blues Brothers movie. This is an interesting coincidence because there's a scene in that movie where the Peter Gunn theme plays as that car cruises down the road, and this was also the music that Boss Man used back when he first entered the business as Big Bubba Rogers.

That was an excellent little detail they added to the scene. You would not see details like that in WWE now.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    That was an excellent little detail they added to the scene. You would not see details like that in WWE now.

Who are you Lawlolawl with your bashing and your trolling

Ban you, ban you to hell!!!!

Leave wwe alone, just leave them alone!

Is it me or do finishing moves not have any distinguishable nicknames anymore

Rollins' Curb Stomp is just the stomp now, wasn't it called the blackout pre wwe? Why not use that instead

Daniel Bryan's flying knee was never given a proper name either

A proper name like the Kinshasa for Corey to go mad over is much better

Bryan's was called "That's The Knee That Beat John Cena". Think they dubbed it the Knee Plus too to go with the B + player gimmick.

I think the actual name is the Baisuku Knee

The Blackout name was because he was called Tyler Black.
    Corbin has End of Days, Kofi has Trouble in Paradise, Viking Raiders have their alternate name "The Viking Experience". Think most people have names for finishing moves.
    I do wonder why they use names of moves used by other wrestlers when calling them. Like Ziggler does a Famouser. It would be like calling all superkicks "Sweet Chin Music". Have they named Becky's version of the Rock Bottom yet?

• Advertisement

"Black MASS!" Mauro always does a great call on Aleister's finisher.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    The Blackout name was because he was called Tyler Black.
    Corbin has End of Days, Kofi has Trouble in Paradise, Viking Raiders have their alternate name "The Viking Experience". Think most people have names for finishing moves.
    I do wonder why they use names of moves used by other wrestlers when calling them. Like Ziggler does a Famouser. It would be like calling all superkicks "Sweet Chin Music". Have they named Becky's version of the Rock Bottom yet?

Man-handle Slam.

Advertisement