Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

What lessons did he do with an ADI between the first and 2nd test?

When he failed the first test he completed 12 and driving our car, on second test a further 6 with ADI and driving our car ,but i wouldn't recommend the school he went with ,seem to be alot of driving round in circles, but it was handy for the car insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Failed today. So disappointed. I know where I mostly went wrong.
    Just couldn't relax with the tester and made stupid mistakes that I normally never do

Failed today. So disappointed. I know where I mostly went wrong.
    Just couldn't relax with the tester and made stupid mistakes that I normally never do

How many grade 2s and 3s?

How many grade 2s and 3s?

Bad. 9 x 2 and 1 x 3(kerb)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's not bad at all! You can pass with 8 grade 2's (afaik) so you're only one over, not counting the 3. :pac:

It's so disappointing, but you will get there and be a better, safer driver for it. Reapply as soon as possible and we'll be seeing you in the 'successful' thread in no time. :)

• Advertisement

Posy wrote:
    That's not bad at all! You can pass with 8 grade 2's (afaik) so you're only one over, not counting the 3.It's so disappointing, but you will get there and be a better, safer driver for it. Reapply as soon as possible and we'll be seeing you in the 'successful' thread in no time.

Thanks posy I'm so disappointed I don't feel like I drove like I normally do.
    Got taken on a route I never done.
    I completely fked up reversing around corner. I don't know how I was doing it for ages last night and never kerbed it.
    Also went to quick on a round about so those two would've failed me.
    I'd never drive like that usually, I think nerves really affected me. I felt so flustered

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Reactor

Failed again today in Tallaght, thats multiple failures now in Galway Athlone and Dublin, I dont know why I cant pass, Ive spent thousands on it at this stage, Ive probably spent more time driving instructors cars than a lot of passed drivers have spent in their regular car. 15 Grade 2s evenly distributed across every category pretty much, only good thing I can say is no 4 in one section or G3s. The tester wasnt very nice, he wouldn't give me any feedback beyond not good and it will be emailed out to me.

Theres an old guy on the Niall Boylan show at the minute in Cork or somewhere, he's failed the test 20 times and they're making a big deal of him being the worst driver in Ireland and trying to get him to pass, Id say Ive failed 30 tests at this stage going back years. Even parking at the end of the test I get Grade 2s even though it felt like just normal pulling in, I just dont understand it.

Does anyone have any advice beyond the usual stuff for a really bad case like myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

@reactor, would you consider doing your test in an automatic? It might let you concentrate on your driving and cut out silly mistakes during the test. You'll be stuck driving an automatic but at least you'll have passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Reactor wrote: »
    Failed again today in Tallaght, thats multiple failures now in Galway Athlone and Dublin, I dont know why I cant pass, Ive spent thousands on it at this stage, Ive probably spent more time driving instructors cars than a lot of passed drivers have spent in their regular car. 15 Grade 2s evenly distributed across every category pretty much, only good thing I can say is no 4 in one section or G3s. The tester wasnt very nice, he wouldn't give me any feedback beyond not good and it will be emailed out to me.

Theres an old guy on the Niall Boylan show at the minute in Cork or somewhere, he's failed the test 20 times and they're making a big deal of him being the worst driver in Ireland and trying to get him to pass, Id say Ive failed 30 tests at this stage going back years. Even parking at the end of the test I get Grade 2s even though it felt like just normal pulling in, I just dont understand it.

Does anyone have any advice beyond the usual stuff for a really bad case like myself?

Raymond Heffernan is 69 years old and has failed 20 tests since 2004, this has involved taking the RSA to court on 8 separate occasions, having multiple testers countrywide coming to Cork to test him as well as Dungarvan. If you google his name you’ll have plenty of bedtime reading. He claims he started driving aged 15, which in 1965 was very possible as driving tests were only introduced in 1964, and Ireland was a very different non EEC country, so why wait 40 years to apply for a test, better still why didn’t he avail of the amnesty in 1979. The man also claims to have driven all across Ireland and the UK on a then provisional licence. Multiple instructors say he never listens and talks during driving tests, as well as thinking he’s always right. As for 4fm it generates publicity/texts/income from it as a result. It gets him nowhere. He thinks the RSA has a vendetta against him, I hope you don’t think similar of your own position. Did you receive the marking sheet since you posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Have you got your own car? It's just when you say instructors cars it makes me think you dont
    You need a car - I'd second the idea of going for an automatic but it's not necessary if you feel you are fine with the clutch.

It's so expensive to learn to drive if you're a serial failer - it's better you spend a year driving in every condition to lots of different places with a sponsor than trying to take lessons and tests ad infinitum. Find a friend/family member with a full licence, if you haven't already and take your time. If a sponsor is out you may have to throw more money at it by doing an intensive course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Reactor I'd second Stem advice and get auto and a car you're actually comfortable driving.

You need an instructor that can help so you need to find one with great reviews or even look for feedback off previous.

Have you changed loads?
    Have you done many lessons?
    Have you done pre tests?
    I take it you're nervous especially in the test process or is it something else?
    Sometimes driving isn't for everyone but training definitely should help.

Have you family that go out with you and ones that could help and give constructive feedback.

I'd also suggest looking for a car with a good display even heads up for speed display if this has been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

So sorry to hear about the fails, Reactor. Not to sound arrogant but I am considered very intelligent and have multiple degrees. Yet I still say (as someone who has passed), that the driving test is harder than any degree or PhD programme.

Firstly, I would say get a car. I bought a car in September 2018 and passed in July 2019. I had given up on lessons, as without a car I simply couldn't practice. When I then started with a new instructor she asked me when I had started driving. I said off and on since 2017. She then asked when I had bought my car. I replied that I purchased it in September 2018, and she said: "Okay, so September 2018 is when you actually started learning."

Secondly, I would recommend Naas. Pass rates there used to be terrible, and so a bunch of instructors complained about how harsh and unfriendly the testers were. As a result, the RSA hired a load of new testers in 2019. They put you at ease, are friendly, and give proper feedback at the end.

Finally, I recommend watching Dane Tyghe and DGN driving school on YouTube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The eximanors hired by the RSA had nothing to do with perception of the tests! It was to increase capacity due to the high load of the backlog.

Reactor, find an instructor who'll sit through a session or 2 and assess your driving. I never looked for someone to sympathise with me whenever I failed and just focused on trying to identify and rectify my issues. There's going to be a fair bit of criticising you'll need to do of yourself too. Just try not to tear yourself a new one doing it!

The eximanors hired by the RSA had nothing to do with perception of the tests! It was to increase capacity due to the high load of the backlog.

Yes, they hired extra testers because of the backlog. However, these new testers are contractors and not permanent staff. And their training emphasised putting the learner at ease and improving feedback levels. I was told this by my instructor after I had passed, so doubt he would have motivation to lie. And I can tell the difference. The new testers put you at ease. I had one test in 2017 and the tester certainly didn't put me at ease! Naas has had a bad rep for years, and all I am saying is I took two tests this year after the new crop had started and the testers have a completely different way about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Failed today with 14 Grade 2’s on my first try. Was suffering really bad with nerves and 6 were for observation, messed up the turnabout as I braked too harshly on the first part and was thrown off and got another for observation which was annoying as I’m usually grand on the turnabout. Also got one for right of way on the reverse around the corner. :o Hopefully won’t be as nervous next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Failed on my 3rd attempt today and am devastated.

Did the reverse and turnabout flawlessly at last, then the nerves took over me again and I proceeded to just mess everything up. I got 1 grade 3 for being in the wrong lane for going straight on a roundabout and a heap of grade 2's for progress and other roundabout positioning on the way back to the centre.

I don't feel like I will ever pass this thing. In lessons and with a sponsor I am able to think straight and drive well. The moment I get into the test I'm shaking like a leaf and feel I'm going to vomit.

I've spent so much money on lessons now but really I think unless someone finds a cure for performance anxiety I may as well just give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,200 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Jade182 wrote: »

Did the reverse and turnabout flawlessly at last, then the nerves took over me again and I proceeded to just mess everything up. I got 1 grade 3 for being in the wrong lane for going straight on a roundabout and a heap of grade 2's for progress and other roundabout positioning on the way back to the centre.

I don't feel like I will ever pass this thing. In lessons and with a sponsor I am able to think straight and drive well. The moment I get into the test I'm shaking like a leaf and feel I'm going to vomit.

I've spent so much money on lessons now but really I think unless someone finds a cure for performance anxiety I may as well just give up.

ask your doctor for some beta blockers if anxiety affects you that badly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

<snip>

Positioning and progress really. You can work on those things with an instructor.

You WILL pass eventually and who the hell cares if it is the fourth time the fifth time, or even the sixth time like me?

I know the money is a PITA. I was in the same situation, having to pay for lessons to practice, but I got there in the end and you will too.

You WILL pass it at some stage. Try not to make it such a big thing in your head.

Apply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

spurious wrote: »
    Positioning and progress really. You can work on those things with an instructor.

You WILL pass eventually and who the hell cares if it is the fourth time the fifth time, or even the sixth time like me?

I know the money is a PITA. I was in the same situation, having to pay for lessons to practice, but I got there in the end and you will too.

You WILL pass it at some stage. Try not to make it such a big thing in your head.

Apply again.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been bawling all morning with the release of stress and disappointment. I worked so hard to finally get that damned reverse around the corner perfect as that was the reason I failed the first two times (went too wide the first time - grade 3, overcompensated and clipped the curb the second time - grade 3).

The thoughts of another stressed-out morning attempting this again has my brain fried.

On a positive note, the testers in the new testing centre in Mulhuddart are just such lovely people. They really do their best to make you feel comfortable and are very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

What a nice money making racket they are running in Raheny!

Even the lord Jesus Christ himself wouldnt pass that, keep the money coming boyo's

• Advertisement

What a nice money making racket they are running in Raheny!

Even the lord Jesus Christ himself wouldnt pass that, keep the money coming boyo's

38.77% is alarming, more than 6 in 10 who take the test in Raheny fail

https://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Driving-Test-Centre/Pass-Rates/

@Jade182, could've wrote that post myself. I failed not so long ago on corner. Could do it perfect if there wasn't a tester beside me.
    Was actually meant to have a retest today but RSA changed it.
    I felt like I was going to cry during my test. So nervous and don't think the anxiety is something that I am overcoming.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been bawling all morning with the release of stress and disappointment.

You poor thing. The driving test really is a nightmare and it is so tough to drive normally when someone is sitting next to you.

That being said, I promise you will pass. It may be your next time or it may be the 10th time, but you will do it. All it takes is a lot of practice and a bit of luck.

I also think that it helps when you start to get annoyed about the whole thing. By my third test I was just soooo over it. As a result, I was able to drive pretty normally. The girl in the waiting room next to me was on her first test and she was really stressed out, whereas I felt like an old-timer who was just sick of everything. My "I am so over this" attitude helped me to be less anxious. Also, on a practical level your GP can prescribe some xanax or a beta blocker for the test, and that might be worth considering.

Galbin wrote: »
    You poor thing. The driving test really is a nightmare and it is so tough to drive normally when someone is sitting next to you.

That being said, I promise you will pass. It may be your next time or it may be the 10th time, but you will do it. All it takes is a lot of practice and a bit of luck.

I also think that it helps when you start to get annoyed about the whole thing. By my third test I was just soooo over it. As a result, I was able to drive pretty normally. The girl in the waiting room next to me was on her first test and she was really stressed out, whereas I felt like an old-timer who was just sick of everything. My "I am so over this" attitude helped me to be less anxious. Also, on a practical level your GP can prescribe some xanax or a beta blocker for the test, and that might be worth considering.

I didn't think you could drive on xanex. I had condisered this but someone told me I'd be too out of it to function normally?

If you are driving under the influence of medication that is likely to affect your driving then you can be prosecuted if stopped and tested by AGS. These medications do come with the "do not drive if you feel drowsy" warning

If you are driving under the influence of medication that is likely to affect your driving then you can be prosecuted if stopped and tested by AGS. These medications do come with the "do not drive if you feel drowsy" warning

That's what I thought

I didn't think you could drive on xanex. I had condisered this but someone told me I'd be too out of it to function normally?

My GP told me she could and has prescribed xanax to people doing the driving test. If you take too much xanax you will indeed be out of it, but a small dose should relax you without knocking you out. Anyhow, this would be something you would need to try beforehand. You wouldn't want to take a xanax for the very first time and then do the test. You would need to try it out beforehand so that you can ascertain your tolerance for the drug.

Galbin wrote: »
    My GP told me she could and has prescribed xanax to people doing the driving test. If you take too much xanax you will indeed be out of it, but a small dose should relax you without knocking you out. Anyhow, this would be something you would need to try beforehand. You wouldn't want to take a xanax for the very first time and then do the test. You would need to try it out beforehand so that you can ascertain your tolerance for the drug.

Yeah I've never tried it before. Would just need to take the edge off. I'll say it to my GP next time I'm in. I'd have to look into seeing whether it's something that could make you fail roadside drug test. The chemist told my dad he'd fail if tested when he went to buy some neurofen plus! Madness

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Have my 3rd test this day week, which i fully intend to pass. It'll be in a different car this time, so need to get as much practice as possible between now and then, but i'm reasonably confident (which may or may not last as we approach the 5th). Anyone have a link to the theory sheet they use with all the road signs? I just want to make sure i know every single one of them this time, along with the hand signals (which i think i got wrong last time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Kiith wrote: »
    Have my 3rd test this day week, which i fully intend to pass. It'll be in a different car this time, so need to get as much practice as possible between now and then, but i'm reasonably confident (which may or may not last as we approach the 5th). Anyone have a link to the theory sheet they use with all the road signs? I just want to make sure i know every single one of them this time, along with the hand signals (which i think i got wrong last time).

Signs:
    http://leinsterschoolofmotoring.ie/traffic-signs/

Hand Signals: (at the end of the page)
    http://adidriving.ie/theory-questions/

Best of luck!

Advertisement