Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

maddy1026 wrote: »
    Obviously, it's easy to fail someone. Not easy if you have to give valid reasons. Any idea when the pilot was run ?

It was run at least a year ago. The uptake was poor as pupils opted not to take the instructor on the test with them. A new pilot is about to run where the instructor can be present at the feedback session after the test. Again, the pupil must request this.

It’s easy to fail someone if they don’t drive to the minimum, reasonable standard. Testers aren’t predisposed to failing people, they can only mark want they see the people do or, more importantly sometimes, not do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

I feel shafted.

I got 5 grade 2's for observation, and a grade 3 for this (when changing lanes). I dispute this entirely. I made sure to look when I did anything, even slowing down. I asked the tester to explain and when I didn't accept the answer he got pissy at me and said that is the grade. I felt my drive was very good, but I got 18 grade 2's. That's worse than my first when I felt like I did ****.

Another one, he said I wasn't stopping at the line at T junctions. (I was,) I was only encroaching as I was moving off to get a clearer view of the obstructions.

7-grade twos for clutch and gear controls.

I'm not happy with this at all. It's not even failing, the fact he wouldn't properly explain the mistakes, and just said "thats the grades".

FML

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Properly because he has no one answer to, like he said you fail whos going to question him, he might have had a bad weekend and you paid for it , wonder how many successful appeals have ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

I failed my test twice since December. Especially after having seen the results of my second test, I can't help feeling quite cynical of the whole thing.

I was heartbroken the first time, but wholeheartedly accept that it was a deserved fail. Despite going out of my way to achieve an average of 3 hours of driving practice a week for the month prior, and improving massively in all imaginable areas (reflected in feedback from instructors and main sponsors), I was wracked with nerves when the test arrived and drove appallingly; I was ashamed at how poor my driving was - constant coasting, forgetting more often than not to check mirrors and blind spot, misuse of gears and all the usual rest.

However what doesn't add up is that very little of what I just described is reflected in my marking sheet for that first test - no Grade 1's, 8 Grade 2's and 2 Grade 3's. It turns out that had it not been for the Grade 3's at traffic lights and making one less Grade 2 mistake, I'd have passed. It wouldn't have been a deserved pass by any stretch.

For my second test, I took several pretests with my instructor (the test day included). He was very pleased with everything, and commented that I was far beyond the minimum passing standard. He did advise at first that I was coasting a little, but we had mostly resolved that issue by the end of the pretest. Because of the traffic that day, I might have fell temporarily back into the habit of coasting as I had rarely driven before in traffic this heavy.

This time, I was able to suppress the nerves, drove calmly, smoothly and went above and beyond the call of duty on observation throughout the whole test. Everything got off to an excellent start I felt. What threw me off at times was the extremely heavy traffic everywhere that evening which was often conflicting with the directions I was being given by the tester. Such as on the Mayberry Road - Belgard Road junction, I could see that traffic was piling onto the yellow box in the junction. When I could finally go, I opted for the right lane, as the left lane was still completely occupied with traffic back to the yellow box. Everything was a constant judgment call in this traffic, and I felt I did the right thing. It had the knock-on effect though of leaving me unable to maneuver into the left lane easily when I had to turn left past the Aldi. That was the only main error that I picked up on during the test.

In the end, I was failed with 9 Grade 1's, 12 Grade 2's and no Grade 3's. I was shocked to be given so many Grade 2's for positioning and progress alone e.g. from traffic lights. Misleading traffic was another one, although I felt the tester should have borne their fair share of the blame on that one for being indecisive and ordering me to abort turns at the last moment which caused me to leave my indicator on momentarily as I suddenly had to alter my concentration away from the intended turn and get back to my original position, which isn't the easiest of things in this kind of traffic. Feedback at the end was very lacking.

I just couldn't understand that having drove to a much worse standard in the previous test (at least from my own point of view) how I could have gotten much worse marks overall in my second attempt than in my first. I've never before seen that kind of marking inconsistency. I understand the restrictions on time that testers are under, but the feedback needs major improvement. Instead of being just handed an ambiguous marking sheet dotted with numbers and shown the door, I really feel that proper written explanations of errors, exact locations of where the candidate went wrong and given the length of time it takes for another test to come up, unlucky candidates deserve to be provided with real and constructive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

Sorry to hear you failed. ☹️ I have come to the conclusion that much of the test is based on luck. So for example if you happen the be behind an idiot on a roundabout that brakes suddenly or comes into your path you could be failed for braking harshly when it is not your fault. Or maybe your reverse goes wrong when normally it goes great. Then again my friend actually hit the kerb on the way into the test centre and passed. So there is not much logic to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I've heard that some testers will stop marking infractions once a grade 3 has been recorded. No idea if true or not, but it seems like what happened to me in my first (awful) test. I only had a few grade 2s and one grade 3, and given how bad my drive was, I think he stopped marking me after I had failed. He was a very nice tester, and obviously realised I was very nervous. After, he told me I'd failed, gave me great feedback, and told me not to let it affect my confidence.

2nd test was a lot better, but loads more grade 2s (I failed on overall grade 2s, and grade 2s in a particular aspect). I was really annoyed until I realised that they signified that I was making errors in particular areas constantly.

With the help of a great instructor, I worked on improving those areas (and how I approached driving and the test itself) and passed the 3rd time with 4 grade 2s.

I know it's frustrating, and it can seem like the testers are out to get you (I know I felt that way after the 2nd one) but if you're accruing loads of grade 2s that's a good indication of areas that you need to work on. Try changing your instructor and go again.

Anyone have any recommendations of instructors for the Raheny test center. I'm based 10 minutes from there?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

Achasanai wrote: »
    I've heard that some testers will stop marking infractions once a grade 3 has been recorded. No idea if true or not, but it seems like what happened to me in my first (awful) test. I only had a few grade 2s and one grade 3, and given how bad my drive was, I think he stopped marking me after I had failed.

This was in the back of my mind too, probably the simplest explanation. If that's the case though, testers who work this way aren't doing their jobs I feel. Since verbal feedback after a fail on a busy day tends to be given over only a few moments as it is, failure to include errors in the marking sheet can only serve to leave candidates under the impression that only marked areas are what need improvement, when there could be much more to it in reality. I might ask my instructor and RSA about this one.

Managed to secure a test just a week and a half away - hopefully can finally put an end to the torment this time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If that's the case would not stop marking you after reached 9 grade 2s also could some inconsistencies there. It sort of annoys as some after failing the driving test a number of times now that some of mates are going on saying that they'd easily pass the test first time even though they've never even sat behind the wheel or do the theory test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

The one thing no one can ever say is they are certain they will pass a driving test on the first attempt. Yes I did it myself, however, I seen somewhere on this forum in recent weeks a poster saying that they would pass their test again tomorrow with no problem if they had to do it again. Talk about being cocky. To those of you who have tests coming up, looking forward to seeing you over in the successful thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Ahhh just failed :( and the reason why I failed was something I never knew was wrong or expected to be an issue (tester said I should have gone up to 4th more)
    Got 7 grade 2's for that alone while I only got 4 overall elsewhere.

Totally gutted and annoyed. Annoyed me more when he said that I'm a good driver I just didn't show it today, not sure how he'd know then since he has only just met me :P

Good thing to take away though was the fact I did really well over all, and certain areas I was worried about like reversing around the corner went really smoothly.

Straight onto the cancellation list so!

At least you know what went wrong and can make sure it won't happen again!
    Onwards and upwards, hope to see you in the Successful thread asap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

places wrote: »
    My test is coming up in 2 half weeks away number 4 . I failed for stupid things like not looking in back door window do reverse around conor. Any advice for test

It's not a stupid thing to continue to look around you and check your blind spots when reversing - What helped me to be alert is to imagine that a small child could be walking out into the road at any time - you always have to be conscious and observant, even if it feels unnatural.

places wrote: »
    My test is coming up in 2 half weeks away number 4 . I failed for stupid things like not looking in back door window do reverse around conor. Any advice for test

I don’t mean to be harsh here, but saying that not looking out the rear window is a stupid thing to fail on is very alarming, you need to change your attitude to driving.

Have you had lessons?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Failed my first attempt today. Vehicle controls mostly, with a few Progress faults. Knew early on it wasn't going great, but i figure a bit of extra practice and i'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Kiith wrote: »
    Failed my first attempt today. Vehicle controls mostly, with a few Progress faults. Knew early on it wasn't going great, but i figure a bit of extra practice and i'll be fine.

Hard luck Kilth but thats a great attitude to have. You'll fly it next time.

Better luck next time, second time's the charm! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Is it normal not to receive your report after you've failed?

I failed mine mostly due to vehicle controls because I was so stressed and my legs were shaking so much, that I had no control over the clutch/brake/accelerator. I knew it as I could hear the car roar. I did an excellent pre-test and it was the best drive I've ever had (been driving for a year), but sadly, the nerves got to me.

This was my first attempt. I was told I'd get the report straight away with the marks and all. I haven't received anything. When I did the theory, I received my electronic version an hour or so after. For the practical, I was told I'd receive a copy of the report right away and nothing.

I took my test in Raheny.

I received mine about an hour after I'd finished the test.

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    I received mine about an hour after I'd finished the test.

Yes, my instructor told me they generally send it an hour after or so.

I'll wait until the end of the week, if I don't get anything, I'll discuss with my instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

You should receive your report regardless of whether you pass or fail. When I failed my first test many years ago, I received the test report in a couple of hours (the actual result was FAIL CURTAILED).

I would get in touch with the test centre directly.

zepman wrote: »
    You should receive your report regardless of whether you pass or fail. When I failed my first test many years ago, I received the test report in a couple of hours (the actual result was FAIL CURTAILED).

I would get in touch with the test centre directly.

Yes, I know, which is why I find the whole thing a bit strange.

I'll get in touch with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I sat my driving test at about 12.20 and received a paper result from the tester afters in my joy of passing first time I left the paper details in the NDLS centre and noticed an email sent at 1:10 -so really quick - have you checked your spam folder?

I got my two failed reports with an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I failed my first attempt and passed my second. The first; the tester freaked me out. She yelled for me to stop for a pedestrian crossing the road. Of course I stopped instantly, then realised she was talking about the pedestrian that was 300m up the street, and I was in an estate going over speed bumps in second gear. A complete weirdo, had me a nervous wreck for the rest of the test, cut out twice and of course I couldn't reverse around the corner properly. 2nd time, I had a real nice fella, hardly said a word and I done an almost perfect test. Who you get on the day is clearly a bit of a lottery.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I sat my driving test at about 12.20 and received a paper result from the tester afters in my joy of passing first time I left the paper details in the NDLS centre and noticed an email sent at 1:10 -so really quick - have you checked your spam folder?

Yes, I did. I checked all of the different folders. Nothing.

Check the junk/spam folders etc, they definitely have the right email address for you?? the results by email only came in during 2013, I did a test then, 2015 & Last January, all reports were received within an hour of leaving the test centre.

Check the junk/spam folders etc, they definitely have the right email address for you?? the results by email only came in during 2013, I did a test then, 2015 & Last January, all reports were received within an hour of leaving the test centre.

Yes, they definitely have the right email address because that's the email address to which they sent my appointment confirmation, my cancellation notification (they cancelled on me) and my Sat Nav pilot notification. That's the email address which was used for all communications since February all the way up to last week. I also double-chcked the RSA website now to re-book another test and the correct email address was already registered in their records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Yes, they definitely have the right email address because that's the email address to which they sent my appointment confirmation, my cancellation notification (they cancelled on me) and my Sat Nav pilot notification. That's the email address which was used for all communications since February all the way up to last week. I also double-chcked the RSA website now to re-book another test and the correct email address was already registered in their records.

Give the RSA a ring tomorrow and ask them to resend the email, your test results will be on their systems anyways. Can't imagine it would be a big ask to resend the email.

Advertisement