Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Failed on my first attempt today. Reverse around the corner caught me, mounted the kerb :o my first time ever doing it!! I have a tendency to be out too far when I do it so guess I over compensated a bit too much. Ah well, would have passed other than that so back onto the horse again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ah, bad luck, Mango!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

To be fair, the reverse around the corner maneuver is a bit of a joke. I reverse around a car parked outside my house most days of the week, and have never once scraped/scratched it/gone near it. Yet I cannot get the reverse properly at all. Why? The corner disappears so you are driving blind for a period of time. That is not real life, as I can always see the obstacle I reverse around normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Halfdane

Galbin wrote: »
    To be fair, the reverse around the corner maneuver is a bit of a joke. I reverse around a car parked outside my house most days of the week, and have never once scraped/scratched it/gone near it. Yet I cannot get the reverse properly at all. Why? The corner disappears so you are driving blind for a period of time. That is not real life, as I can always see the obstacle I reverse around normally.

Perhaps try adjusting your mirrors. I never lose the kerb now whereas I used to when they were set too high/close to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Unsuccessful on my 2nd attempt today.

I made an error which I thought was a grade 3 and clasped my head in my hands for a few seconds after it. The error was only a grade 2 but while clasping my head in my hands, i had removed both hands from the steering wheel for a few seconds - I failed because of it.

Drove well apart from that, I am f***ing sickened.

• Advertisement

Bad luck. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Failed again today. 7 grade 2's for progress (4 on the straight, 2 roundabout and 1 right turn), 1 for observation on my right when reversing and one for a hazard. Feel the progress ones are really harsh, as i'm wasn't pretty sure i wasn't driving any slower then i have been with the instructor, and he specifically said i didn't do any of that in the hour of driving before hand. I get i may have gone a bit slower then I normally do, but not 7 grade 2's worth. Some of those roads should not be the limit they are (50kph on narrow road with cars on both sides...not doing 50 there).

Really ****ing annoyed, but booked the next one and will see about getting more practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Kiith wrote: »
    Failed again today. 7 grade 2's for progress (4 on the straight, 2 roundabout and 1 right turn), 1 for observation on my right when reversing and one for a hazard. Feel the progress ones are really harsh, as i'm wasn't pretty sure i wasn't driving any slower then i have been with the instructor, and he specifically said i didn't do any of that in the hour of driving before hand. I get i may have gone a bit slower then I normally do, but not 7 grade 2's worth. Some of those roads should not be the limit they are (50kph on narrow road with cars on both sides...not doing 50 there).

Really ****ing annoyed, but booked the next one and will see about getting more practice.

Hopefully next tester is a bit more forgiving. You're there otherwise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, he said my driving was very good, i made no other mistakes, but my inexperience is what killed me. Said i was like the poster child for people who can't get insured on their own car, and have to rely on lessons, as though i know how to drive it's the actual experience that cost me. Hard to get time on the road when lessons is the only way i currently have. It's not cheap doing that many lessons.

Anyway, next test booked, and i'll do some more lessons in the meantime. 3rd time lucky i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, he said my driving was very good, i made no other mistakes, but my inexperience is what killed me. Said i was like the poster child for people who can't get insured on their own car, and have to rely on lessons, as though i know how to drive it's the actual experience that cost me. Hard to get time on the road when lessons is the only way i currently have. It's not cheap doing that many lessons.

Anyway, next test booked, and i'll do some more lessons in the meantime. 3rd time lucky i guess.

Head up man and fingers crossed that 3 is the magic number for you. The 4 on the straight is where you were nailed sadly. Did you get good feedback from the tester?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Failed again. 1 grade 2 and 1 grade 3, which was for going through a green/orange light at a junction turning right. Dubious in my opinion but of course I'd think that.

What's the mimimum you have to wait before re-doing it? I really don't want it hanging over me for 2 months, I'm a demon mood wise when its hanging over me. Can i get a cancellation asap?

(And its so f'ing galling to hear name after name being called out in the waiting room who obviously haven't bothered to show, yet people actually attempting it have to wait 7 weeks on average)

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Failed again. 1 grade 2 and 1 grade 3, which was for going through a green/orange light at a junction turning right. Dubious in my opinion but of course I'd think that.

What's the mimimum you have to wait before re-doing it? I really don't want it hanging over me for 2 months, I'm a demon mood wise when its hanging over me. Can i get a cancellation asap?

(And its so f'ing galling to hear name after name being called out in the waiting room who obviously haven't bothered to show, yet people actually attempting it have to wait 7 weeks on average)

You can reapply straight away AFAIK. As for the no show's, most are only doing it to renew the learner permit i would imagine, an RSA crackdown on that was meant to happen, don't think it has yet though. I genuinely don't get the fear of sitting a driving test, but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

You can reapply straight away AFAIK. As for the no show's, most are only doing it to renew the learner permit i would imagine, an RSA crackdown on that was meant to happen, don't think it has yet though. I genuinely don't get the fear of sitting a driving test, but that's just me.

Thanks, it's a weird one - the fear and nerves go once I start the test, its more the build up and the anticipation/wait. i'm hoping I could get a cancellation within a few weeks if I'm willing to go further afield than Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Hard luck Kh1993 - sometimes I think it's really the luck of the draw sometimes with the testers.

While you can rebook straight away but you've to wait 21 days before resitting. I rebooked myself after I failed first time as I wanted to get straight back at it. I then called for cancellation list but they won't do anything until 21 days have passed. After that time you can start ringing looking for a cancellation spot. Best of luck next time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Thanks, it's a weird one - the fear and nerves go once I start the test, its more the build up and the anticipation/wait. i'm hoping I could get a cancellation within a few weeks if I'm willing to go further afield than Dublin

I think he was referring to people who don't show up for the test. Too nervous to sit the test perhaps, or most likely just not caring once they have renewed their learner permits.

No-shows should be penalised in some way. It just takes opportunities away from those who genuinely want to sit the test and get a full licence.

Well that’s really frustrating, sounds like a fairly flawless drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

My latest driving is coming up tommorrow two weeks let's hope it will be more sucessful than the previous ones I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Try the new Mulhuddart test centre. I applied the 15th June, got a test notification for the 14th of August so 8 weeks, which is not bad and you might get a cancellation because I cancelled it because I'm not ready for it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dairina1991

Had my 1st attempt in Finglas on 21st of June and failed got 6 grade 2 marks and 1 grade 3
    grade 2`s
    position turning right 1
    Moving off observation 2
    Progress at roundabout 1
    clutch 1
    handbrake 1
    And the grade 3 was my silliness... I stopped at stop sing and was waiting for suitable gap to turn right on major road.
    Other car stopped on the road and kept waiving at me to to proceed i was waiting until she will proceed as she as right of way, but she didn't move. So i got scared tat e will mark me down for progression so the minute i moved off other car was trying to overtake the woman and i got the grade 3 for hazards...
    When we got back the tester said im a good driver and it was a bad luck. he said if the other car wouldn't try to overtake the first one he wouldn't mark me down and i would ave passed. I booked the test the same day but only now got the date for 28th of August.. hopefully this time i can pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dunne1995

Can anyone tell me how long the housing estates in Finglas have been 30km speed limit? Failed today as I genuinely thought it was all 50km, no marks for anything else so pretty disappointed.

Speeding in a driving test could you imagine!

• Advertisement

Dunne1995 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how long the housing estates in Finglas have been 30km speed limit? Failed today as I genuinely thought it was all 50km, no marks for anything else so pretty disappointed.

The law was changed a while back. The campaign was led by a mother who lost her little boy to an accident.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/news/this-is-jakes-legacy-says-mum-after-new-30kmh-speed-limits-imposed-35586203.html

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Dunne1995 wrote: »

When I was preparing for my test in Finglas back in April, my instructor had told me that the speed limit is 30 in those housing estates.

But, since there there are no signs anywhere, I used to wonder if the limit on a particular street is 30 or 50, especially when it was straight and clear. There were progress issues in my driving as it is, so didn't want to do 30 on a road where the limit was 50.

Then I came across the following document which I found useful since it lists every street to which the special limit applies - https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s17195/Draft%20Dublin%20City%20Council%20Special%20Speed%20Limit%20Bye-Laws%202018.pdf

The document confirmed that it is 30 km for the streets in the Finglas housing estates. It is from 2018, so it looks like the limit has been in place for a year at least.

Good luck for the next time! You are in really good shape if you had no marks in other aspects. :)

Bad luck, Dunne!

They were all 30kph back in Jan/Feb when I was doing my pretests. Your instructor should have known this. Better luck next time, like zepman said, it's pretty good going if that was your only error. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Son failed today second test, 11 grade 2's, 8 were for Lack of progress, roundabouts and straights,lights, annoying really seems a good safe driver to me, but then again im not a tester, difficult one to get across to him ,he has really taken it badly,he thought he had passed, don't want him to pullout in front of drivers or putting his foot down now, don't want grade 3's next time.preferred if he had done something stupid and got a grade3 , easier to rectified, first test, one grade 3 and 7 grade 2's, none for lack of progress.
    one of the grade 2's traffic lights, red, stopped, then went to yellow, he waited for them to change to green,car behind hooted, result, lack of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Failed first attempt in Cork today, 10 Grade 2's. Sickener is that coming into the test centre to finish the test I was on 8 Grade 2's. Pulling into a parking stop the front of the car touched the curb and then when reversing back I didn't look over my shoulder....two Grade 2's to fail me. I literally failed the test in the last 5 seconds. Absolutely gutted tbh I know its rules and all and I had the other faults built up so as to not really have much of a safety net, but cmonnnnnnnnn :(

Hayezer wrote: »
    Failed first attempt in Cork today, 10 Grade 2's. Sickener is that coming into the test centre to finish the test I was on 8 Grade 2's. Pulling into a parking stop the front of the car touched the curb and then when reversing back I didn't look over my shoulder....two Grade 2's to fail me. I literally failed the test in the last 5 seconds. Absolutely gutted tbh I know its rules and all and I had the other faults built up so as to not really have much of a safety net, but cmonnnnnnnnn :(

Wilton?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Wilton?

Yup

Hayezer wrote: »
    Yup

The most common failure i've heard of there is the stop sign as you literally leave the test centre. Still though to think coming in the gate you actually had it in the bag, i'd be sick myself, was the car park busy? the tester was going by the letter of the law to be fair, but it still doesn't give any comfort. I never actually sat a test there but i live very close and see tests regularly going by my estate. Have you reapplied?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Son failed today second test, 11 grade 2's, 8 were for Lack of progress, roundabouts and straights,lights, annoying really seems a good safe driver to me, but then again im not a tester, difficult one to get across to him ,he has really taken it badly,he thought he had passed, don't want him to pullout in front of drivers or putting his foot down now, don't want grade 3's next time.preferred if he had done something stupid and got a grade3 , easier to rectified, first test, one grade 3 and 7 grade 2's, none for lack of progress.
    one of the grade 2's traffic lights, red, stopped, then went to yellow, he waited for them to change to green,car behind hooted, result, lack of progress.

If he's getting grade twos on pulling out then the tester is spotting chances to go which he is not taking. He's passed bar the progression. Can work on reading junctions a bit better. And getting up the gears on the 50kmh roads if it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

What lessons did he do with an ADI between the first and 2nd test?

Advertisement