Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which own brand/budget products are good?

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Back on topic, I got crackers from Aldi recently which were obvious rip-offs of the Jacobs ones - the name of which escapes me right now but the ones that snap in two, and come in salted, mediterranean and rosemary/olive oil flavours.

The Aldi salted ones (the only comparable flavour) were far nicer than the Jacobs ones. Crispier and tastier. And way, way cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Agree aldi crackers 29c Jacobs are closer to 99c . Had aldi coffee Columbian ground 2 euro and is super

Agree aldi crackers 29c Jacobs are closer to 99c . Had aldi coffee Columbian ground 2 euro and is super
    Mmm, not sure they're the same crackers I'm talking about. Neither the aldi ones nor the other ones (I'm no longer convinced they're Jacobs) are THAT cheap I think!

If anyone out there knows of Lidl/Aldi (or any other) coffees that are suitable for a moka pot and are nice, can they please let me know? Most of the lovely, good value coffees I've had are more suitable for filter pots. I'd really like to try something different in the stove-top pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Blue Iris

I use the organic fairtrade Cafe del Mundo coffee from LIdl. It's a 500gm pack and costs about 5.90. We have an espresso machine so need it finely ground. I really like the flavour of it. I still use the Lavazza decaf in the blue packet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The aldi beans are quite good think 45c a tin

39c and are nom nommm:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What on earth is that :confused: Doesn't sound like something I'd like in my morning coffee......

Maybe I'll just stick to Lavazza, which is grand, I'm just a bit bored with it. And the 3-packs they have in Dunnes make it very good value.

The melangerie black twin pack in lidl is grand in our bialetti moka pot.

Methanethiol is what they add to natural gas to make it smelly its also present in fresh coffee and decays rapidly. If it doesn't smell farty its not fresh. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is this coarse or fine ground coffee?

I have a stove-top espresso pot, and use Lavazza red coffee, but am always open to new suggestions! The coarser ground cafetiere coffee doesn't work as well in it though, so needs to be fine ground.

Get yourself an aero-press - Amazing difference in flavour.

I was a moka-pot advocate for a long time, but there's no comparison for me.
    Aero-press is less economical with coffee, but the taste is so much better.

Having said all that. if you are going to stick with a stove-top, I'd stick with Lavazza too tbh.

Sorry all for the off-topic aside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I would love to have the money to spend money on branded food items. There isn't a brand that has come in to my apartment!
    Tesco "everyday value" is what I have to live on when I've only 20e a week to spend on food, and even buying the cheapest doesn't go that far!
    But I have gone into Lidl and aldi recently to see what the hype is about with them, and there food might seem cheaper, but its the exactly the same price as Tesco's own brand food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

SMJSF wrote: »
    but its the exactly the same price as Tesco's own brand food.

But in most cases (if not all), the product is superior in Lidl.

We shop almost entirely in lidl
    That decision is based on quality of merchandise, price is secondary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

But in most cases (if not all), the product is superior in Lidl.

We shop almost entirely in lidl
    That decision is based on quality of merchandise, price is secondary.

Likewise shopping in Aldi usually results in higher quality goods (apart from milk). I use Tesco as back up as it's just around the corner when I need something at short notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I would love to have the money to spend money on branded food items. There isn't a brand that has come in to my apartment!
    Tesco "everyday value" is what I have to live on when I've only 20e a week to spend on food, and even buying the cheapest doesn't go that far!
    But I have gone into Lidl and aldi recently to see what the hype is about with them, and there food might seem cheaper, but its the exactly the same price as Tesco's own brand food.

You didn't look very closely, tescos 'deals' usually amount to less product in the same packaging like chicken breasts will have the 'mini' chicken breast part removed, pork shops will be 2/3 the thickness, apples will be 6 in a bag vs 8 or 10 in other stores. Look at the price per kg and compare. Not to mention the super 6 meat / fruit veg deals in aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Not the same quality imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

I find a lot of the centra and super valu ownbrand goods to be of great quality, on par with m and s and miles better than aldi or tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

upinthesky wrote:
    Not the same quality imo!

See, quality doesn't bother me. Put a cheap and an expensive brand of the same food in front of me, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It's all food at the end of the day, It goes in one way, and out the other :).
    Like I've spent 60c on a loaf of Tesco bread today, but bread is simply bread... I'd feel cheated paying 2e something because it has a "high end" brand label on it.
    But that's just me and my take on food.

And someone said something about weight previously, and its only me eating the food. The smaller the pack the better, because more than likely it'd just be thrown out, TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Not sure if I put these up before, but Aldi Stackers (Salt and Vinegar in particular) are imo significantly tastier than Pringles, this came to mind, because I haven't been able to find them in my local Aldi on my last couple of visits and purchased the Tesco Own brand effort yesterday (chipz?), tasteless imo, certainly not on a par with Aldi Stackers. The might be to someone's taste, but certainly not mine!
    Stackers are approx €1 as opposed to Chipz approx €1 and Pringles €2 ("on offer";)) or €2.99 (as if anyone ever pays that price for them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Mango chutney Aldi 95cent.

Same as branded one that's 2.50 in Dunne's.

Aldi's salted caramel icecream tub.

I've nothing to compare it to, but it's very yum - full of caramel chunks and whole almonds.

Mmmmmm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Mango chutney Aldi 95cent.

Same as branded one that's 2.50 in Dunne's.

Tesco have an own brand one for about 70c which is pretty much indistinguishable from the branded one's on the shelf below. I have also used the Aldi version and I don't see much difference in any of them (hard to know when it's chucked into a curry), I think the Aldi jar may be bigger, can't recall exact quantities, but that Tesco one I'm referring to may be smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Aldi Galetti Mango Sorbet, I could eat the whole box, it's gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Aldi have a new range of 1l drinks,Raspberry and Mint,Clementine,Passion Fruit and Mango etc.Absolutely lovely with all Greens on the traffic light system so anyone worried about added sugars etc. will be happy.

BTW,they'd make great mixers for spirits.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cheese light singles
    Lidl own brand are surprisingly nice. And only 65c for 10 slices.
    I know they are not full cheese bla bla, but handy for sandwiches
    348456.png

snubbleste wrote: »
    Cheese light singles
    Lidl own brand are surprisingly nice. And only 65c for 10 slices.
    I know they are not full cheese bla bla, but handy for sandwiches
    Aldi now have introduced 10 light cheese slices for 59c (from Poland). I'm pretty sure it's to compete with Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lidl fishfingers are lovely and a third of the price of Birdseye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Got Mighty Oven from Dealz. Same idea as Oven Pride.
    Got manky oven shelves and grill pan spotless.

Think oven pride is usually €6 or so. So €1.49 is a good bit less.

Aldi dark choc digestives 300g seem to have changed. They taste different. Is it just me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Just discovered the Tesco organic jumbo oats - 750g bag for 95 cent. Really chunky and chewy and much nicer than Flahavans organic jumbo oats imo at half the price!

Advertisement