Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which own brand/budget products are good?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

lisar816 wrote: »
    Oh and Aldi used to a lovely schewan sauce, (not sure on spelling) it was delicious..

Schezuan- and yes, it was yummy. They still have a nice oyster sauce that makes delicious stirfries.

Even Tesco is doing a disappearing act on sauces- they had an out-of-this-world Teriyaki that was suddenly delisted, no explanation.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

Aldi's thai green curry sauce did disappear for months recently but I am happy to report its back on the shelves again albiet a little spicer I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Even Tesco is doing a disappearing act on sauces- they had an out-of-this-world Teriyaki that was suddenly delisted, no explanation.

They used to stock bart massaman paste and were the only ones
    to do so (thank god amazon do now) nicest ive tasted
    now they do their own brand one which is horrible

Talking of Aldi and disappearing stock. They used to sell a beer that was almost identical to Peroni. It had the same size of bottle (660ml) and tasted identical but was less than half the price (€1.79) Italian beer called Rossini.

I know it was popular. Very popular. Yet it just vanished. No one knows why :confused:

What's up with Aldi and their disappearing brands anyways???[/QUOTE]

that was the best cheap beer by a mile imo
    I couldnt tell the difference between it and peroni

they also used to sell a similiar type drink to lucozade only it was nicer
    that also vanished and was replaced by something simliar which was
    rank...dont see anything there now at all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lidl do a lovely maderia cake, its like over a foot long with a hazelnut topping for €2.99. You couldnt make better honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

rob316 wrote: »
    Lidl do a lovely maderia cake, its like over a foot long with a hazelnut topping for €2.99. You couldnt make better honestly.
    Over a foot long? Sounds like a nutritious, healthy and value choice. And big too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Schezuan- and yes, it was yummy. They still have a nice oyster sauce that makes delicious stirfries.

What kind of explanation were you expecting?
    Constant in store announcements?
    Tesco staff calling to the door of customers who purchased the sauce previously? :D:D:D:D:D

I am only joking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Ye can't beat a Jive with a cup of tea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

So much lovely caramel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Or Aldi blue pack of bars that are like purple snacks, yum..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    So much lovely caramel!

Now I'll buy Twixs if they're on special offer but I always get the Jives....I'm not made of money or anything! I hate the way the price has stayed the same even though the bar itself has shrunk ;(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lissavane wrote: »
    Over a foot long? Sounds like a nutritious, healthy and value choice. And big too.

Smashing with a cup of tea it is. Easily the best Maderia you can get in a supermarket. They also have a chocolate one too but I have not tried it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

The gourmet jelly beans in Lidl are delish. 99c for a big bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

lisar816 wrote: »
    Or Aldi blue pack of bars that are like purple snacks, yum..

If you really do think that those bars taste like purple Snack bars then I think you should go to the doctor for a check up, it sounds like one of the first symptoms of something serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    If you really do think that those bars taste like purple Snack bars then I think you should go to the doctor for a check up, it sounds like one of the first symptoms of something serious.

Well, i haven't had the purple snacks in a long time, must get both to compare, but for the price the aldi ones are nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

With the risk of going off topic...........

Talking of Aldi and disappearing stock. They used to sell a beer that was almost identical to Peroni. It had the same size of bottle (660ml) and tasted identical but was less than half the price (€1.79) Italian beer called Rossini.

I know it was popular. Very popular. Yet it just vanished. No one knows why :confused:

What's up with Aldi and their disappearing brands anyways???

yes i used to like that beer but then disappeared .my wife also used to like the boxes of red and white wine u could get in aldi to but they also disappeared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Aldi's chocolate digestives are the business! Taste just like McVitie's for a fraction of the price.

That's the good news. The bad news? There have been none in the store for the past three weeks and no-one seems to know when they'll be back in stock. :mad:

I posted a message to Aldi's Customer Service this week asking about the choccy biscuits. They say there's been a supply problem which has now been resolved. The biccies will be back in stock by the end of the month (allegedly).

Watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Ian Whelan wrote: »

Maybe you should go to a doctor ? your post is a very strange response to a simple comparison ................. very strange:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

stoutykid wrote: »
    Aldi's thai green curry sauce did disappear for months recently but I am happy to report its back on the shelves again albiet a little spicer I feel.

Are you talking about the sauce in the jar?

I bought this once for a camping trip. It was vile and tasteless- even the 3 kids (2, 4 & 6) wouldn't touch it. For the sake of 5 minutes get yourself a tin of coconut milk and half a jar of curry paste (the latter hasn't been available in Aldi for over 12 months so you'll have to head to Dunnes).

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

my wife also used to like the boxes of red and white wine u could get in aldi to but they also disappeared

I wasn't surprised they disappeared. The turnover of them was very poor (you could check the dates on them)

And they were not good value for money. The 3l red australian was €16.99 and you could buy the exact same wine in a bottle for €4.25 at the time, so no benefit at all in "bulk buying" the bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

The 1L bottles of Orange Juice in Lidl for €1.45 are gorgeous!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I posted a message to Aldi's Customer Service this week asking about the choccy biscuits. They say there's been a supply problem which has now been resolved. The biccies will be back in stock by the end of the month (allegedly).
    Watch this space!
    A month! A friggin month!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Sam Mac wrote: »
    The 1L bottles of Orange Juice in Lidl for €1.45 are gorgeous!
    +1, we stopped getting tropicana over a year ago and just get the lidl not from concentrate orange juice, half the price and its nice. The aldi orange juice is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Tried the lil fella on the dunnes brand nappies. No problems with them and they are the closest to pampers you can find, at 1/3 of the price.
    Also the Aldi nfc orange and mango juice is lovely as is the aldi custard. could nearly drink the custard it is that nice. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Speaking of chocolate biscuits....

I find the Lidl ones are MANK! I'd rather wait for Aldi's to come back in stock or buy McVities.

OTOH - Lidl's shortbread is the nuts! Along with their fruit shortcake. I've been known to demolish a whole packet of fruit shortcake in a sitting...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shelld2010

Tried the Dunnes own brand nappies too when they first came out. Have been using them ever since!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Shelld2010 wrote: »
    Tried the Dunnes own brand nappies too when they first came out. Have been using them ever since!!

Are you not old enough not to be using nappies anymore? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shelld2010

kn wrote: »
    Are you not old enough not to be using nappies anymore? :p

Edit ... He he :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Red Crow wrote: »
    The Tesco Weetabix are delicious. And there only 2.69 or something for 48!

On own brands Tesco's crazy caramel (Mars) and Wild an Wippy (Milky Way) are gorgeous.

Also the Tesco tomatoe ketchup is lovely!

Tesco wheat biscuits are after going up! Boo urns!! It's 2.35 for 24 now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Sam Mac wrote: »
    The gourmet jelly beans in Lidl are delish. 99c for a big bag.

I tried them and thought they were disgusting. Aldi used to sell the Irish jelly bean companies ones in an own brand packaging. They were incredible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

gooner99 wrote: »
    Always have used Gillette Fusion. But was in Aldi last week and the razor and 3 blades were only €3 odd with the refills €2 odd. So said what the heck I'll give that a go. Must say they are very good and with the low refill price you can replace the blade more often rather than trying to get every last shave out of a blunt-ish blade with the more expensive ones. I have sensitive skin, but use a good soap (Taylors or Prorazo) and a brush, which I think makes all the difference compared to the gunk in a can sold in the supermarkets. I did buy a DE razor and tried it a few times, but just couldn't get a good shave or get over the fear of getting a bad nick from it. It was at this time I changed over to the proper soap and brush and although I went back to the disposable swivel blades, I stuck with the soap and brush, makes a big difference.

Just to second this. I tried out the Aldi Razors and I have to say that they are very good quality. The razor costs 3.49 to buy and that comes with 3 blades. A refill pack is 2.09 which contains 6 refills. They are great value and certainly there is not a big difference in quality. I have to shave every odd day for work and I've found them to be excellent. It's not going to be as cheap as DE but it's a great shave for a great price.

Advertisement