Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which own brand/budget products are good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MacFeegle

Is this an own brand product- and if so- for which supermarket/multiple chain?

Sorry The Conductor, I went slightly off topic with the popcorn. Oops. Its they're own company/brand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

josh59 wrote: »
    McGrath's tea in Aldi is supplied by Robert Roberts who's tea has always been lovely to drink

I really can't stand McGrath's, and I've had people ask did I change tea brands to something cheap and horrible.

I'm normally totally on board with a shops own brand, and do 85% of my grocery shopping in Aldi or Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Kavanaghs porridge in Aldi is as good if not btr than any of the brand name porridge i;ve tried

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

+1 on the Aldi Soda Bread, lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

My Daughter eats a lot of Pasta and she loves Aldi Red Pesto.. Think its about 85c a jar

They do jars of green pesto also.

Aldis jars of curry sauces are about half the price of main branded sauces ones and IMHO are better than Uncle Bens , Pataks etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Aldi Soda bread.

Best tasting soda bread in this category.

Great price too, 0.79c.

khFizhs.jpg

Better than Sean's Brown from Superquinn/valu? I think not...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

dak wrote: »
    My Daughter eats a lot of Pasta and she loves Aldi Red Pesto.. Think its about 85c a jar

They do jars of green pesto also.

Aldis jars of curry sauces are about half the price of main branded sauces ones and IMHO are better than Uncle Bens , Pataks etc

We use the Lidl Greed Pesto, it's really excellent.

The rest of my list -

Lidl -
    OJ
    Jelly Beans
    Olives
    TP (for my bunghole! Cornholio! :D),
    Pancakes (toaster ones)
    Prunes (although the Tesco ones are juicier)
    Pasta
    Most cereals (agree on the Special K point above)

Aldi -
    Bourbon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Kavanaghs porridge in Aldi is as good if not btr than any of the brand name porridge i;ve tried

+1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Porridge is just rolled oats- nothing more, nothing less. Its the exact same product- no matter where you buy it, or the packaging its in.

Porridge is just rolled oats- nothing more, nothing less. Its the exact same product- no matter where you buy it, or the packaging its in.

The quality of the oats used could be different though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Actually porridge is one of those products that I've tried the Aldi version and gone back to the brand. It just isn't as nice a texture, at least prepared the same way, when cooked in the microwave at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Actually porridge is one of those products that I've tried the Aldi version and gone back to the brand. It just isn't as nice a texture, at least prepared the same way, when cooked in the microwave at least.

thats the problem right there...making your porridge in the microwave:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

If you like terrys chocolate orange you will love these, they are exactly the same sweet @ €1.50

IDShot_225x225.jpg

I think they are nicer - terry's is overly sweet but the tesco version have a slight hint of bitterness from the orange oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

jay0109 wrote: »
    Was expecting that response :D However, the brand comes out fine, and given a microwave is all I have access to in work... If they were exactly the same, as has been suggested, there should be no difference if prepared the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Aldi'
    Kavanagh's Porridge is very tasty.
    I prefer Aldi's Tomato Relish to Ballymaloe.
    My OH loves their Stir in Pasta Sauces
    Their own brand Cheese and Bacon Pasta Bake Sauce is gorgeous.
    Love Moser Roth and Stackers

Freeman's Bay NZ Sav Blanc is superb

Tesco
    Value Mushy Peas are my favourite I think they cost 29c a can

jay0109 wrote: »

Normally I would prefer that the foods I eat to be not cooked in the microwave..... but I somehow actually prefer porridge from the microwave!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Tesco's version of Head & Shoulders shampoo is the exact same as the real thing. Large bottle is around €1.40 compared to €6.59 for large H&S.

If this is true, that's great.
    H and S is exorbitant.
    Anyone suggest the same for wilkinson sword quattro blades? Robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Tesco's 'Everyday Value' bran flakes (light box, purple lettering) with a handful of unsalted mixed nuts and raisins are a good cheap breakfast option.
    748%5C5031021188748%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg542%5C5000436872542%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Always have used Gillette Fusion. But was in Aldi last week and the razor and 3 blades were only €3 odd with the refills €2 odd. So said what the heck I'll give that a go. Must say they are very good and with the low refill price you can replace the blade more often rather than trying to get every last shave out of a blunt-ish blade with the more expensive ones. I have sensitive skin, but use a good soap (Taylors or Prorazo) and a brush, which I think makes all the difference compared to the gunk in a can sold in the supermarkets. I did buy a DE razor and tried it a few times, but just couldn't get a good shave or get over the fear of getting a bad nick from it. It was at this time I changed over to the proper soap and brush and although I went back to the disposable swivel blades, I stuck with the soap and brush, makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i like barrys tea, does any of the stores sell barrys tea as own brand,
    i like azera coffee, does any of the stores sell it as own brand,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

im convinced tesco cream cracker are jacobs
    the taste is identical imo
    think its 29c also compared to 4or5 times that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In their price promise, Tesco are comparing their Tesco Sultanas 375g €2.35 with Lidl's Suntree Sultaninen 500g €1.19
    This means they are roughly the same nutritional content but Tesco's (not the horrible Value ones) are three times as expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Supervalus own brand Chilli Con Carne sauce in the jar is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

mailburner wrote: »
    im convinced tesco cream cracker are jacobs
    the taste is identical imo
    think its 29c also compared to 4or5 times that
    theyre a little overdone compared to jacobs but for the price i would buy them over jacobs any day, the lidl ones are decent enough also( and cheaper again and in a larger pack ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Aldi's chocolate digestives are the business! Taste just like McVitie's for a fraction of the price.

That's the good news. The bad news? There have been none in the store for the past three weeks and no-one seems to know when they'll be back in stock. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aldi's chocolate digestives are the business! Taste just like McVitie's for a fraction of the price.
    That's the good news. The bad news? There have been none in the store for the past three weeks and no-one seems to know when they'll be back in stock.
    :mad:
    I know! have to make do with Lidl's version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

Some of the Tesco breakfast cereals ( eg the 50% fruit mix one ) are very tasty, well worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

That's the good news. The bad news? There have been none in the store for the past three weeks and no-one seems to know when they'll be back in stock. :mad:

I know right, Were have they gone????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Oh and Aldi used to a lovely schewan sauce, (not sure on spelling) it was delicious..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

With the risk of going off topic...........

Talking of Aldi and disappearing stock. They used to sell a beer that was almost identical to Peroni. It had the same size of bottle (660ml) and tasted identical but was less than half the price (€1.79) Italian beer called Rossini.

I know it was popular. Very popular. Yet it just vanished. No one knows why :confused:

What's up with Aldi and their disappearing brands anyways???

Advertisement