Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which own brand/budget products are good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

el diablo wrote: »
    Anyone know of any own brand coffee beans? None in Tesco, Aldi, Lidl etc.

I don't have a grinder so I buy the ground "Italian blend" coffee. It's really nice, better than almost all the expensive ones I used to buy. Maybe they have the same one whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Aldi used to do nice sundried tomatoes, but they stopped it for some reason. I used to make a nice pesto from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My friend was visiting on Sunday. She brought a beautiful bouquet of flowers round as a present. I honestly thought they were from Marks. It was only as I was preparing the flowers for the vase, I realised they were actually from Aldi! She also brought round some cookie crunch chocolates from Roisin (I think) which were delicious!

Beautifully presented, and good quality blooms. They look lovely. You'd never know the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Own brand toothpaste is grand.

Any good own brand shampoo?

I see Lidl now is doing Apple Shampoo - can't go wrong with Apple Shampoo I surpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Aldi's version of weetabix,cheerios,shreddies special k and cornflakes are excellent and more than half the price,they are the only generic brand my kids will eat and they are well fussy!
    Also their breads,pitta, panini,and par bake roll range are a fraction of the brand name prices and great quality IMO :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Adrian4 wrote: »
    Own brand toothpaste is grand.

Any good own brand shampoo?

I see Lidl now is doing Apple Shampoo - can't go wrong with Apple Shampoo I surpose.

When tresemme is half price in tesco its great value - bottles are 900ml, depends on your hair though, we have a little girl who hair turns into a grease ball in 24 hours, i've tried all sort of stuff but weirdly the giant tesco daily apple one is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

paddyp wrote: »
    When tresemme is half price in tesco its great value - bottles are 900ml, depends on your hair though, we have a little girl who hair turns into a grease ball in 24 hours, i've tried all sort of stuff but weirdly the giant tesco daily apple one is best.

Tresemme is poison for your hair, I found my scalp dried up and was constantly itchy using it. L'oreal all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco Every Day Value 80 Teabags 250G
    "Blended and tasted by experts"

Revolting stuff. I don't how they sell these, anyone would tastebuds would not go near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Kurz wrote: »
    Dunnes own brand sausages are the nicest of the lot in my opinion, not the "simply" ones or whatever, the cheapest ones.

They were great when they were made by Olhausen until they went belly up - as good as any of the brands. However, after they got a new producer to manufacture them and they came back into the shop a few weeks after Olhausen went belly up I tried them out and they were disgusting! I have not tried them since so I do not know if they've improved or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

snubbleste wrote: »

Revolting stuff. I don't how they sell these, anyone would tastebuds would not go near them.

I've never tried those ones, but the "ordinary" Tesco tea bags (1.89 for 80) are really nice I think. I used to only like Lyons or Barry's Gold Blend. Although I know tea can be a very subjective taste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 eljako

Do-more wrote: »
    We buy Lidl's frozen pizza margherita in the box of 3 and then add extra cheese and toppings to suit everyone in the house. Everyone gets exactly what they want, there is little waste and it's a fraction of the price of buying preprepared pizza to suit everyone.
    I do the exact same, those pizzas are great for a make your own!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

arch20000 wrote: »
    Fraid Don't agree,

LIDL Bix are like a sponge for the milk and create a yucky brown paste.

My 2 young kids won't touch them, they love the Aldi ones though.

To drag up an old comment, both the Lidl and the Aldi Bix are like eating soggy cardboard. We all gave up on them. Dunnes version however is identical to wheetabix and according to the boxes, identical nutritional information etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

eljako wrote: »
    I do the exact same, those pizzas are great for a make your own!

Us too! Thought we were the only ones! Great way to use up that half pepper, quarter onion etc. Also, you can lash on some of the cheapp ham slices (that I wouldnt consider fit for a sandwich) and they taste lovely when cooked. If you want to be really bold, buy a ball of Lidl mozarella (59c) and throw a few slices on. Yummy melty cheese yumminess!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

NATLOR wrote: »
    Aldi's version of weetabix,cheerios,shreddies special k and cornflakes are excellent and more than half the price,they are the only generic brand my kids will eat and they are well fussy!

Have you checked the respective nutritional information of the Aldi cereals compared to their brand name counterparts.

I remember a couple of years ago I noticed that the Tesco version of weetabix had way more sugar than actual Weetabix. Dunno if that still is the case. Anyway, it might be worth having a look on the side of the box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LyndsC

I can't eat Kellogs Special K after they changed their recipe, but found Tesco's 'Special Flakes' taste like the old recipe for anyone who misses it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I find Dunnes 80 bags gold bland tea bags to be grand out, honestly don't notice any difference to the Barrys ones the parents use at home, €1.50 for the 80 bags last time I bought so decent value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Tabnabs wrote: »
    To drag up an old comment, both the Lidl and the Aldi Bix are like eating soggy cardboard. We all gave up on them. Dunnes version however is identical to wheetabix and according to the boxes, identical nutritional information etc.

The Tesco Weetabix are delicious. And there only 2.69 or something for 48!

On own brands Tesco's crazy caramel (Mars) and Wild an Wippy (Milky Way) are gorgeous.

Also the Tesco tomatoe ketchup is lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

Red Crow wrote: »
    The Tesco Weetabix are delicious. And there only 2.69 or something for 48!

if you buy 2 of the 24 pack it is cheaper than the 48 pack. 90% of the time all the time.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Absolutely hooked on Aldi's Specially Selected Sea Salt Caramel Fudge.

Already scoffed one bag, and eyeing up the other in the kitchen, even though I feel a bit Tom & Dick...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not our households opinion to be honest. Notwithstanding nutritional differences (haven't got a wheetabix box to compare), but we don't rate lidl's, but aldi and tesco are as good as the original imo, with aldi our preference. Well as good as we won't pay the extra anyway.

Definitely watch tesco on the pricing - 24 packs less than half the price of the 48 pack (not the only item I've nearly got caught on in tesco either)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Absolutely hooked on Aldi's Specially Selected Sea Salt Caramel Fudge.

Already scoffed one bag, and eyeing up the other in the kitchen, even though I feel a bit Tom & Dick...:o

Love their Moser Roth dark chocolate!

I always buy own brand tinned tomatoes, just as good. Kidney beans from tesco are less than 30c a can, excellent for making chillis!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Heard a lady in front of me in Lidl raving about the red sauce and the brown sauce, and how nice it was... Don't like red sauce so tried the brown sauce...LOVED It and am v fussy.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I remember years ago when Dunnes fell out with Weetabix for some reason and stopped stocking the brand for a while.

Dunnes put up a sign in front of their own version saying something like
    "Dunnes Wheat bisk is made by Weetabix, if you can't taste the difference don't pay the difference "
    Quote may not be 100% accurate :)

So they probably still make it for Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

These really are awful - i bought them and dumped them after one!!

Doodlebug wrote: »
    Originally Posted by snubbleste View Post
    I've never tried those ones, but the "ordinary" Tesco tea bags (1.89 for 80) are really nice I think. I used to only like Lyons or Barry's Gold Blend. Although I know tea can be a very subjective taste!
    These ones are fine, I normally use McGrath's teabags from Aldi, but these are equally grand.

Tesco Hot Oats at €1.89 is significantly (approx 50%) cheaper than Ready Brek and my kids can't tell the difference, looks the same to me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Love their Moser Roth dark chocolate!
    +1
    Quality stuff at a great price, love Aldi dark chocolate. Individually wrapped too, which stops me scoffing the whole bar in one go :o

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

The relish from Aldi and Lidi are really good IMO. The jalopeno one is my fav and beats the over priced Ballymaloe one in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Supervalue own brand sausages at 1.59 for 16 are great value and are one of the best tasting sausages around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

stoutykid wrote: »
    The relish from Aldi and Lidi are really good IMO. The jalopeno one is my fav and beats the over priced Ballymaloe one in our house.

Don't like Aldi's versions at all - Lidl ones are pretty much identical bar the fact they're about 50% of the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Tesco Spicy Pasta Sauce is lovely. I used to get Dolmio spicy sauce but I'd even get the Tesco one, when Dolmio is on offer. Really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Lidl's brown soda bread, their Deluxe sausages and 16 pack "regular" sausages are fantastic.

Advertisement