Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which own brand/budget products are good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Aldi's chocolate, Moser Roth, tastes just as good as the more expensive branded ones, and I'm very particular about my chocolate. I used to buy Green & Blacks, but at €1.39 the 70% dark Moser Roth tastes just as good and at half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Aldi's chocolate, Moser Roth, tastes just as good as the more expensive branded ones, and I'm very particular about my chocolate. I used to buy Green & Blacks, but at €1.39 the 70% dark Moser Roth tastes just as good and at half the price.

I'll second that ,perfect with the Toro red wine for a fiver

• Registered Users Posts: 8 vinlad

Aldi Cucina balsamic vinegar in the square bottle is just the best, haven't seen it in a while though, hope its not gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭pms7

paddy147 wrote: »
    Lidl/Parkside DIY tools are good and very well priced.

Bought a fully adjustable cross cut mitre saw for 50 euro recently.
    Fantastic quality and has the same features as a 200 euro big brand name saw.

Also bought a lazer guided/straight edge Parkside Jigsaw with quick change blade system for 15 euro too.

Parkside SDS Hammer/Impact drill with various masonary drill/chisel bits for 35 euro.

Parkside Electric Sabre saw for 30 euro,complete with 5 different blades.

Again fantastic quality.:D

Both Aldi + Lidl give 3 year warranty, which they more than stand over. Once had a broken €60 drill collected by courier and a new one delivered when couldn't fix old one. How many places would give you that service?

ive always eaten dunnes branded food there american chips and mushy peas are yummy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Supervalu daily basics jaffa cakes are yum!
    89c for 24 pack ~ 300g.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

Dunnes own brand pasta sauce is much nicer than the dolmino sauce and costs just 65c, Aldi's washing up liquid Magnum is €1.09 and is better then fairy liquid, aldi also have a large bottle of malt vinegar for 39c as nice if not nicer than the top price range, also dunnes stores ginger nuts at 39c are the nicest tasting ginger nuts you can buy and the kids like the dunnes own brand cookies and actually prefare them to the much more expensive range, in aldi again their shower gels are 69 and 79c and are great and their head strong anti dandruff shampoo is 79c I think and is as good as head and shoulders, I know there are a lot more but I just cant think of them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

Dub12Dave wrote: »
    I think and is as good as head and shoulders.

Have to disagree with you there, just switched back to h&s after a month of unhappiness with other products including head strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Aldi's sugar-free fizzy orange is the best I've ever tasted, far far niceer than diet club orange. Their crisps (Spuddies) are excellent too. I think they are made by the same company that make king and tayto.

I like their 5.49 budavar chardonnay too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

tesco value beer - if you're designated driver. It's like 2pc alcohol or something lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

snubbleste wrote: »
    89c for 24 pack ~ 300g.

When I was studying last month, I ate an entire box of those in one day :eek: (like, the 2 packets) hah

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Another +1 for Aldi Spuddies. I think I prefer them to Tayto now. Aldi's chocolate digestives are also great and a steal at 65c.

I can't remember how much it is, but Aldi's bags of rocket are delicious and seem to last a lot longer than other brands. I finished off a bag at lunchtime that had been open since Saturday and it was still fresh and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭irlgirl

whats lovely is aldis sweet tomato relish way cheaper than Ballymaloe relish. Think its around 1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

snubbleste wrote: »
    89c for 24 pack ~ 300g.

The nicest and cheapest jaffa cake in the world!!

jmorrisey wrote: »
    The nicest and cheapest jaffa cake in the world!!
    I know, I was shocked at how nice they are and they cost £1 in the North compared to 89c here
    5099839249280_2.JPG

The Supervalu DailyBasics Cola is absolutely disgusting.
    I had one sip and then threw the rest down the toilet to clean it over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭nitros7

Had the Aldi Cola at the weekend. Following the initial overwhelming fizzyness after opeing the bottle it tasted nice once the fiziness died down a bit.
    Not bad for mixing with the oul tipple :)@59c for a 2l bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

Aldi custard creams by Belmot are lovely! 34 in pack and are only 69cent. Also agree with previous posters about the Dunnes brand Choc chip cookies and gingernuts. Better than branded items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Aldi hummus is nice, I think it's new. 79c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Aldi ready made custard is very nice, thick and creamy while the tesco stuff is thin and tasteless. aldi 65cent Tesco one now 99cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ciara GaGa

Lidl feta cheese :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Lidl

Cat food, cheap and keeps the moggies happy. Ready meals if don’t feel like cooking and only €1.99. Chinese chicken in black bean sauce with rice. All the Indian range; especially the chicken Korma with pilau rice.

Sweet and sour or Thai green curry sauce when cooking and my daughters love the Thai green curry in particular when I cook it.

I think their mature cheddar is about €7.95 per kg against €14.95 (?) per kg for Kilmeaden and every bit as good imo.

Aldi.

Almat detergent, no problems. Even Danny Baker would be impressed. Liquid hand soaps, blue anti-bacterial smells nice. Again, ready meals. Thai curry and chicken and bacon with potatoes and leek is lovely and again only €1.99 each. Digestives, not bad, ginger nuts and fig rolls the same. Love the salt and vinegar Stackers that are only €1.15 and better than Pringles imo. I like a glass or 6 of cider at the weekend especially pear and the Taurus pear cider is a nice drop at €3.99 per 2L. Probably missing a lot of stuff as I shop mostly here.

I’m hard pushed to shop in Tesco but just because it is a bit out of the way and I’m no fan of Dunnes and their euphemistically named “rewards scheme,” sending me vouchers for stuff that I’ve never bought in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Dunne's Clubcard is one of the worst run loyalty schemes as well - if you don't get enough points to qualify for a voucher they don't even bother mailing you - load of shyte.

Dunne's Clubcard is one of the worst run loyalty schemes as well - if you don't get enough points to qualify for a voucher they don't even bother mailing you - load of shyte.
    :confused: Same happens with Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

Just be careful when you bring things back, I brought back a top and they debited my loyalty card 10000 points. Rang them several times to ask why I never got any mail outs until one person told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Pico pizza's from lidl are lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

Supervalu Pure Irish Creamery Butter

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

Pico pizza's from lidl are lovely
    How much are they? The Supervalu €2 pizzas are tasty. Not as filling as Goodfellas but every bit as tasty. Really like the five cheese one and the sweet chilli chicken too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

How much are they? The Supervalu €2 pizzas are tasty. Not as filling as Goodfellas but every bit as tasty. Really like the five cheese one and the sweet chilli chicken too.

Sorry I don't actually know, I'll check at the weekend, I forgot to mention they are 12 tiny pizzas in a box rather than a large pizza like a Goodfellas, they are really tasty.

Pic here - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--ieCO89gA2Q/UJa2yheJ1GI/AAAAAAAAA0s/x4rXSJhuaYc/s1600/IMAG2016.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Mark Twain

Most of the Aldi Specially Selected range is as good, if not better, than the branded alternatives.

I especially like the Columbian Blended coffee which, like all their coffess, is supplied by Robert Roberts. The McGrath's tea is good as well.

Advertisement