Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which own brand/budget products are good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I got a lovely Salmon Wellington in Aldi last Thursday. Its a 700g pack from the freezer - certainly 3 adult dinner portion sizes in the pack and there was a really chunky amount of Salmon in it. It comes in two sauces flavour, I got the prawn and white wine sauce one. I forget what the other flavour was. The price was I think €4.99 - 10/10 for the product and value for money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

kkelly77 wrote: »
    their Deluxe sausages

Yeah there lovely, 6 big juicy sausages 80% pork with spring onion and herbs for
    2.50 Eur.

kn wrote: »
    I got a lovely Salmon Wellington in Aldi last Thursday. Its a 700g pack from the freezer - certainly 3 adult dinner portion sizes in the pack and there was a really chunky amount of Salmon in it. It comes in two sauces flavour, I got the prawn and white wine sauce one. I forget what the other flavour was. The price was I think €4.99 - 10/10 for the product and value for money.

Yeah i made the mistake of buying one for myself, thought it was for 1 person:D,
    i only eat 3/4 of it, really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

Do any regular Aldi shoppers know what happened to the thai curry sauces they used to do.... I loved the green one and any aldi I have been to in Cork don't seem to have them in stock last few months. I am having withdrawls and haven't seen anything close to them in other stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Get some coconut milk in Tesco and some Thai paste in an asian shop. Tub of proper thai paste can last months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

Get some coconut milk in Tesco and some Thai paste in an asian shop. Tub of proper thai paste can last months.

Thanks will try this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

stoutykid wrote: »
    Thanks will try this :)

Consider getting a bottle of fish sauce while you're in the asian supermarket - a couple of dashes added to a soupy thai curry is very very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

stoutykid wrote: »
    Do any regular Aldi shoppers know what happened to the thai curry sauces they used to do.... I loved the green one and any aldi I have been to in Cork don't seem to have them in stock last few months. I am having withdrawls and haven't seen anything close to them in other stores.

I used to get the Thai red in my local Tallaght Aldi but it's gone as well. Replaced with MORE Indian curry sauces which there is already loads of.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

What is the best lemon & Lime drink - alternatives to Sprite?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Tesco Cucumber face wipes best ive ever used

• Advertisement

Adrian4 wrote: »

7-UP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    These really are awful - i bought them and dumped them after one!!

These ones are fine, I normally use McGrath's teabags from Aldi, but these are equally grand.

What do people reckon of the Aldi McGrath brand tea bags? Was thinking of getting an 80 pack just to try them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What do people reckon of the Aldi McGrath brand tea bags? Was thinking of getting an 80 pack just to try them out.

We use nothing else,the tea is perfect.A bargain compared to Lyons tea.

Robert Roberts actually make them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

Aldi have lemon and lime flavour sparkling water which tastes just like sprite!
    Can't remember what it's called but its in a clear bottle and has a yellow lid the label is see through too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lidls Cien branded anti-dandruff shampoo and shower gels @ .59c I've found very good vs other cheap ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

B0jangles wrote: »
    Consider getting a bottle of fish sauce while you're in the asian supermarket - a couple of dashes added to a soupy thai curry is very very tasty.

Fish sauce is important to get the proper thai flavour. My secret ingredients are dried lime leaves and peanut oil

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I use them. The rest of my family are Philistines and say there's a twang off them but it's honestly decent tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Ush1 wrote: »
    I use them. The rest of my family are Philistines and say there's a twang off them but it's honestly decent tea.

McGrath's tea in Aldi is supplied by Robert Roberts who's tea has always been lovely to drink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Tesco own brand one is very similar imo if that's what you're asking (not sure if you want a cheap alternative or something which tastes different).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

calex71 wrote: »
    Lidls Cien branded anti-dandruff shampoo and shower gels @ .59c I've found very good vs other cheap ones.

I wouldn't recommend these if you're prone to dry skin or dermatitis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,819 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

aldi marrowfat peas every bit as good as bachelors and less
    than half the price

like the aldi totally topped pizza

lidl alfredos inferno pizza for anyone who wants
    to set their tongue alight
    took me nearly an hour to get through that one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Aldi's own version of Special K- far maltier and tastier than the Kellogs one- especially since they reformulated it (the Kellogs one is pure gak now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

mailburner wrote: »
    lidl alfredos inferno pizza for anyone who wants
    to set their tongue alight
    took me nearly an hour to get through that one

That bastard is a challenge alright; I can generally motor through a supermarket pizza in well under an hour, but the lidl inferno is a three-hour-chili-endurance-fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

I wouldn't recommend these if you're prone to dry skin or dermatitis.

Agreed - I suffer from dry scalp, tried the Cien anti dandruff shampoo - only made it much worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aldi are clearing out:
    Specially Selected Italian Wood Fired Pizza 350g for 99c
    WeightWatchers frozen sundaes for 99c

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

Aldi 8 pack of popcorn, think its only 1.69 and its really nice, handy for lunches as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MacFeegle

greenheart wrote: »
    Aldi 8 pack of popcorn, think its only 1.69 and its really nice, handy for lunches as well.

Have you tasted the gran rosta popcorn? Its whopper!! I got a box or 2 of em at a market in howth and I think they have an online shop too. Its savage stuff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MacFeegle wrote: »
    Have you tasted the gran rosta popcorn? Its whopper!! I got a box or 2 of em at a market in howth and I think they have an online shop too. Its savage stuff

Is this an own brand product- and if so- for which supermarket/multiple chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Aldi Soda bread.

Best tasting soda bread in this category.

Great price too, 0.79c.

khFizhs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

If you like terrys chocolate orange you will love these, they are exactly the same sweet @ €1.50

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Advertisement