Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Is it specefied that the gardai are to call in on elderly and the vulnerable while this is ongoing

From what I can gather there has been a community policing initiative that's been implemented during this crisis where Gardai will assist the elderly and vulnerable with shopping for food, medicine and fuel for people that don't have the support of family and friends. So I guess that is specified? It tallies with what I've seen in my locality where we have elderly people in a purpose build community with little or no family support.

yabadabado wrote: »
    No need to be so defensive,only asked a question.

Why would I be getting all the criminals to down tools or telling people what they should or shouldn't be reporting. That's just a really childish thing to post,I'd expect better.

What did I say about teachers that wasnt correct or was some sort of attack on them?

I won't be defensive when you don't make go on the offensive. Your having a go because we haven't called to every single older person. When I pointed out the maths you then asked could the rest of the fleet not be used. You couldn't seriously have asked that. You must have realised that the normal fleet is busy with our primary function and again, I pointed out that we are already under ideal manpower during normal times.

My next comment was to try and hammer it home. We are busy.

Third, You can look at your own post history

Blueshoe wrote: »
    They get 3 billion a year budget and the average pay rate is 1300 euro a week

Most people learn to stop digging. Have you, by any chance finished school? Your reading and maths abilities are atrocious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

They get 3 billion a year budget and the average pay rate is 1300 euro a week

As has been pointed out several times this is not true whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

As has been pointed out several times this is not true whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Post the stats so. Irish cops are very well paid by international standards as are nurses. Nurses deserve it, cops largely dont. A force that is ridden with institutional corruption as has been proven time and again.

• Advertisement

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Post the stats so. Irish cops are very well paid by international standards as are nurses. Nurses deserve it, cops largely dont. A force that is ridden with institutional corruption as has been proven time and again.

Really? That's amazing considering Gardai earn less overallthan the national police in Spain, France, Germany and Italy when all income and allowances v cost of living is assessed.

The guardia civil in Spain, gendarmes in France and carabiniers in Italy all avail of free housing and bills for starters.

The psni and London met are paid a better salary of you want to compare locally as they start on police wages from their first day of training.

Most us forces earn more basic salary than Gardai. Nypd for example.

All the above also benefit from allowances and overtime as Gardai do. Some allowances are the same, some are not. London met gets a city allowance for example and subsidised education, health and travel. (London fire also get the same fyi). Policia national in Spain get an inconvenient payment when posted in remote areas.

Forces that do get paid less than Gardai are nearly all Eastern European, African or south American. Countries where the cost of living is very much cheaper than Ireland.

An unbiased view does not support your claim.

https://www.met.police.uk/car/careers/met/police-officer-roles/police-constable/entry-routes/

https://www.joinpsni.co.uk/your-pay-scale

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/careers/police-officers/po-benefits.page

I can only assume you read the Irish times article which compared a qualified Gardas gross salary to the take home net pay of a trainee in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Quiet night in the station Niner? :)

tdf7187 wrote: »

That's utterly retarded. Considering the sheer about of abuse that they have to face both from those breaking the law, and the contempt from people like yourself, they should be paid more than they are.

I'm often bemused by the attitude of many Irish towards the Gardai. It's almost as if they've never been abroad and seen how the police operate in other countries. My own experiences of the Gardai have always been very good, whereas my experiences of police in foreign countries has been pot-luck. Some good, mostly bad. Irish Gardai tend to deal with you well, unless you're being a prick... which is something I find a lot of those complaining about the Gardai tend to act. Like a prick. (nope. Not calling you a prick. Unless you fit that profile, that is)

The Gardai are doing a grand job. Some Gardai are power hungry, corrupt, or sadistic... most are not.

In regards to the thread, I haven't seen any Gardai around.. because I'm mostly in my house. Where most of you should be unless you're in essential services, which I doubt that those complaining are. Apart from that, my 1 km walk to the local shop doesn't give me much opportunities to see anyone, never mind, the Gardai.

How much ground are you all covering to be able to say what the Gardai are doing, or not doing?

Oops! wrote: »
    Quiet night in the station Niner? :)

In the station? I'm too busy waking old people up to see do they need anything from lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I won't be defensive when you don't make go on the offensive. Your having a go because we haven't called to every single older person. When I pointed out the maths you then asked could the rest of the fleet not be used. You couldn't seriously have asked that. You must have realised that the normal fleet is busy with our primary function and again, I pointed out that we are already under ideal manpower during normal times.

My next comment was to try and hammer it home. We are busy.

Third, You can look at your own post history

I never had a go at garda for not calling to every single older person,I simply pointed out my experience. Go back and read what I said.

It was a genuine question regarding other vehicles in the force but you got defensive and gave a few childish remarks.I asked because some pictures I've seen of Garda doing calls it looked to me like the regular cars/vans.
    Genuine question but it seems you took it as some sorta slight.
    I see you cant or wont give me an answer regarding what you perceive as my dislike for public servants/teachers.No problem whatsoever.

I came to this thread for what I thought would be good discussion but I've been accused of BS and misquoted. So I'll leave ye to it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I think they should be doing less admin work and more community based interaction.

Through no fault of their own, id say they're frustrated without any independence on the job.
    If they can be checking up on people who are vulnerable during a pandemic, why can't they be allowed to do this regularly.

Oh I remember the days of the village guard and he knowing all the scrotes, rogues, crusty bitches and rag tags in the village and rural areas.

Now they're based in the big towns and cities being controlled by some red tape, more than likely implemented by some idiot back in the 90's

I've nothing to hide from the law, so seeing them around wouldn't bother me, they get a lot of stick for not being able to do their jobs properly.

But I think its the system and the guards are working under frustrating conditions and if they're not getting consistent duties and have no consistency on the job they're bound to be having bad days and not up for a bit of banter or being under hostility from the people.

There's a lot of variables in the way our Police Forse are unable to help more.

I say bring back the Village or rural stations, the new systems not working for everyone.

As for all the paper work and admin that's ridiculous, maybe have more civil servants from the HSE cross over into the administration in the department of justice and a big shake up might ease tension

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

The guardia civil in Spain, gendarmes in France and carabiniers in Italy all avail of free housing and bills for starters.

I support a pay rise for Gardai but just to point out that the Guardia Civil in Spain traditionally were never barracked in their own area and probably not in their own state. They were Franco's enforcers, lived in barracks but they may be billeted in regular accommodation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,834 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

All the other vehicles are busy dealing with the thousands of criminals running around. They are patrolling. It's what they do 24/7. When they aren't patrolling, it's because there aren't enough Gardai to drive them

Tell ya what, you get all the criminals to drop tools and get people to stop reporting nonsense and we will increase the call in ratio.

I pointed out in detail the numbers compared to other countries. Your can't get blood from a stone

You don't appear to be a fan of teachers either

Your boss told people to report:

If people see something that is of concern to them, which they think is something where there is a risk of the illness being spread on, a further vector for the illness, then they should let us know so that we can act, arrive there, deal with the situation and hopefully then resolve it," Commissioner Harris said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Discodog wrote: »
    Your boss told people to report:

If people see something that is of concern to them, which they think is something where there is a risk of the illness being spread on, a further vector for the illness, then they should let us know so that we can act, arrive there, deal with the situation and hopefully then resolve it," Commissioner Harris said.

Drew Harris' quote is from a week after Niner's quote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

this can't be right? It is regarded as a middle of the road job, very average salary etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

If only the gardai were a force that had the guts to tackle the travellers who some have been a law to themselves lately then we could take the gardai seriously.

True, they may be able to claw back some credibility then.... But it won't happen sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Over the last week we’ve heard of over 150 travellers at a funeral in Birr , 25 caravans arriving from the UK and setting up site in the Curragh and a full plane load of highly skilled workers arriving in to pick fruit for us.The Garda have done nothing about any of this yet are stopping law abiding people and asking them where they are going .
    How can anyone honestly feel that the Garda are enforcing restrictions fairly during this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

this can't be right? It is regarded as a middle of the road job, very average salary etc

Overtime and allowances ??
    Still seems high ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

scwazrh wrote: »
    Over the last week we’ve heard of over 150 travellers at a funeral in Birr , 25 caravans arriving from the UK and setting up site in the Curragh and a full plane load of highly skilled workers arriving in to pick fruit for us.The Garda have done nothing about any of this yet are stopping law abiding people and asking them where they are going .
    How can anyone honestly feel that the Garda are enforcing restrictions fairly during this ?

Another Blue Air charter flight also landed in Dublin from Romania after the chartered Ryanair flight from Bulgaria.... There's also more on the way.

• Advertisement

If only the gardai were a force that had the guts to tackle the travellers who some have been a law to themselves lately then we could take the gardai seriously.

Galway tonight from Facebook

Load of people down at Menlo castle at illegal party & 8 sulkys racing around kiloughter & ballindooley ridiculous carry on Gardai have been rang

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I love how they say they’re investigating the incident at the four courts. There was Gardaí literally stood there watching allowing it to happen. What is there to investigate exactly??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

MadYaker wrote: »
    I love how they say they’re investigating the incident at the four courts. There was Gardaí literally stood there watching allowing it to happen. What is there to investigate exactly??

The price of donuts in Chancery Street.

Apparently they took names :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Oops! wrote: »
    Another Blue Air charter flight also landed in Dublin from Romania after the chartered Ryanair flight from Bulgaria.... There's also more on the way.

What’s that got to do with the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭jackboy

In fairness that has nothing to do with the regulations. They are trying to turn people against the protest. In fairness, not many noticed the protest until now the the guards are making an issue of it.

jackboy wrote: »
    In fairness that has nothing to do with the regulations. They are trying to turn people against the protest. In fairness, not many noticed the protest until now the the guards are making an issue of it.

In fairness they had no qualms about moving the women outside Debenhams who were complying with the regs.
    That's the problem with them. No consistency. Like turning people back on the N7 M9 and then letting the Travellers drive all over the Curragh.
    No fairness at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭jackboy

Fann Linn wrote: »
    In fairness they had no qualms about moving the women outside Debenhams who were complying with the regs.
    That's the problem with them. No consistency. Like turning people back on the N7 M9 and then letting the Travellers drive all over the Curragh.
    No fairness at all.

I think the guard on the street is sick of the restrictions and Is just avoiding hassle. I have been stopped the last three evenings going home from work. They asked where was I going, I just told them I was going home from work. What is the point? I could have been lying or going anywhere. I’d say they are demoralised.

jackboy wrote: »
    I think the guard on the street is sick of the restrictions and Is just avoiding hassle. I have been stopped the last three evenings going home from work. They asked where was I going, I just told them I was going home from work. What is the point? I could have been lying or going anywhere. I’d say they are demoralised.

Probably. However it doesn't justify, in broad daylight taking the easy way out in both of the examples I posted earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fann Linn wrote: »
    No fairness at all.

There is consistency, going for easy targets.

They'll never tackle the travelling brethren head on. I suppose they're hoping the virus will naturally winnow down their numbers. Its even more of an Irish joke that they're setting up camp on military land.

Advertisement