Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Our police come under a lot of scrutiny,some justified,much not.
    But i have to say i have been blown away by the efforts of the force since this COVID19 crisis started.

In every community throughout the country they have been looking after our elderly and vulnerable.
    Dropping off supplies of food and medications, checking in to make sure people are being looked after and all the while dealing with everyday policing.

Could this crisis change many peoples view on our police.?

Garda not police
    Always had height of respect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Augme

Larbre34 wrote: »

A newly qualified Guard wouldn't clear 350 pw and is expected to feed house and uniform himself out of that. You get 350 to spend sitting on your hole with only grocery shops open.

How much does a newly qualified Garda make in a week then?

According the pay scale Garda make €30,296 in their first year on the job. Then it increases every year until after 8 years of service they will be on €48,754. This is before any overtime or allowances are accounted afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Augme wrote: »
    How much does a newly qualified Garda make in a week then?

According the pay scale Garda make €30,296 in their first year on the job. Then it increases every year until after 8 years of service they will be on €48,754. This is before any overtime or allowances are accounted afaik.

It doesn't increase over the first 2 years. After taxes/deductions most would come out with a shade over €400 a week. Not great considering the unsociable hours, likely having to rent somewhere away from home since they can't choose where to work (many will somehow have to cover Dublin rents on this), along with the absolute crap they have to deal with. So €50 more than the €350 covid payment...it's not exactly great. Longer serving members will obviously be on a little/a lot more than this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

baldshin wrote: »
    It doesn't increase over the first 2 years. After taxes/deductions most would come out with a shade over €400 a week. Not great considering the unsociable hours, likely having to rent somewhere away from home since they can't choose where to work (many will somehow have to cover Dublin rents on this), along with the absolute crap they have to deal with. So €50 more than the €350 covid payment...it's not exactly great. Longer serving members will obviously be on a little/a lot more than this.

Gardai are the "best paid civil servants" earning an average 1300 euro a week .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/work/garda%25C3%25AD-are-best-paid-public-servants-earning-1-300-a-week-1.3715038%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How could you possibly know that for sure?

Its very easy.Im part of a community group who works with the elderly in the area.

We spoke with everyone in the area last week who we have details for(vast majority), either by phone or called to their house.
    Between us we would have done every house in the parish.No garda had been around and as of 8pm on Monday none had called since as per local station.

Not exactly difficult to know .

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Do you have eyes on elderly or vulnerable people in your area? Just cause you haven't witnessed or seen them do it doesn't mean they aren't.

I've seen Gardai in the rented cars with GARDA decals driving in to old folks apartment complexes in my area. The cars that were photographed and shared on WhatsApp groups as "enforcement vehicles" :rolleyes:.

I can only assume they're helping out as the complex isn't exactly a bedrock of violence and lawlessness. There's a chance they're looking out for them and you're not seeing it.

See my post #36.I can only speak for my own area but I know for sure it isnt happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

yabadabado wrote: »
    See my post #36.I can only speak for my own area but I know for sure it isnt happening.

Sounds like you have a great setup there and don't need the Gardaí to call into your neighbours.

Blueshoe wrote: »

Yes, on average that could well be correct. I was only speaking for new members, inside their first 2 years. Some Gardai are on great money, many are on good money, and some are on low money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

I must say they have been fantastic in my area.. at the start they called to most the most vulnerable taking contact details and next of kin details.
    They also made a call to all businesses that are open to ask if they noticed a regular customer not coming in to give them a ring so they could do a welfare check . ( before cocooning) .
    Lots of regular patrols last weekend and have been coordinating with local Gaa clubs to get shopping and essentials to those who can’t leave the house.
    The postman here is also playing a blinder checking on older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, I see since the thread has started you've suddenly become a volunteer within your elderly community and conveniently gone out and checked with every single elderly person to see if the Gardai have dropped out to them.

Pull the other one yebadabado, if you've a problem with the Gardai fair enough, but obviously making up stuff is just silly.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, I see since the thread has started you've suddenly become a volunteer within your elderly community and conveniently gone out and checked with every single elderly person to see if the Gardai have dropped out to them.

Pull the other one yebadabado, if you've a problem with the Gardai fair enough, but obviously making up stuff is just silly.

Believe what you want but dont be accusing me of any bull****.There are dozens of set ups like ours dotted around the country.

We didnt call out to see had the Garda been around to homes but we are obviously going to ask nor do I have any problems with the Garda .We didnt call to every home either ,plenty of people were contacted via phone,so dont be trying to twist things to suit yourself.

Was I supposed to notify you that I'm a volunteer in my area or should I have been mentioned this in advance of posting in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Believe what you want but dont be accusing me of any bull****.There are dozens of set ups like ours dotted around the country.

We didnt call out to see had the Garda been around to homes but we are obviously going to ask nor do I have any problems with the Garda .We didnt call to every home either ,plenty of people were contacted via phone,so dont be trying to twist things to suit yourself.

Was I supposed to notify you that I'm a volunteer in my area or should I have been mentioned this in advance of posting in this thread.

I call bull****

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Quit the sniping and move on.

I call bull****

I think you mentioned earlier you are a member of AGS,surely you know of plenty of organisations that help out elderly etc in their communities.Far from bs.

I came to this thread to have a serious conversation but looks unlikely when that's the level of response I get , so good luck .

Oh would you cop yourself on lad and at least try to engage your brain for a few minutes a day.

That's an average across all ranks and service. Your including the commissioners pay in that ffs!It also includes allowances and overtime.

Do you have any idea what the 'average industrial wage' in the private sector becomes when we include senior management and company owners / directors? Lot more than 1300 let me tell you because last time I checked, no Gardai we're in the top 100 rich list

You have a bug with us, build a bridge because ultimately you could have joined the Gardai or trained to be a paramedic or simple taken the civil service exam. You didn't. That's on you.

Now can you actually post something accurate? Would be a nice change because Gardai aren't even civil servants

Its very easy.Im part of a community group who works with the elderly in the area.

We spoke with everyone in the area last week who we have details for(vast majority), either by phone or called to their house.
    Between us we would have done every house in the parish.No garda had been around and as of 8pm on Monday none had called since as per local station.

Not exactly difficult to know .

Once again I direct you to my previous post concerning the simple maths of what occuring.

200 cars, 5 million people.

In general however, you don't appear to be a fan of the public sector by your post history

Oh would you cop yourself on lad and at least try to engage your brain for a few minutes a day.

That's an average across all ranks and service. Your including the commissioners pay in that ffs!It also includes allowances and overtime.

Do you have any idea what the 'average industrial wage' in the private sector becomes when we include senior management and company owners / directors? Lot more than 1300 let me tell you because last time I checked, no Gardai we're in the top 100 rich list

You have a bug with us, build a bridge because ultimately you could have joined the Gardai or trained to be a paramedic or simple taken the civil service exam. You didn't. That's on you.

Now can you actually post something accurate? Would be a nice change because Gardai aren't even civil servants

Why would gardai be on the top 100 rich list? They don't earn tens of thousands and more a week

I don't want to be a Garda that's why.
    I didn't write the article.

The average is 1300 per week. Raking it in

Once again I direct you to my previous post concerning the simple maths of what occuring.

200 cars, 5 million people.

In general however, you don't appear to be a fan of the public sector by your post history

All I said was what was happening in my own locality,I didnt bring up numbers of cars etc.I know the Garda are under resourced.

Can none of the vehicles that the Garda had before this crisis not be used or is it only the 200 hired vehicles?
    Arent there over 2500 cars/vans in operation before anything was hired last month?
    Can none of the original fleet be used to monitor an area?

What post history would this be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Local Gardaí are well aware of what organisations and groups are working in each area and the needs in an area and will often direct referrals to these groups. They link in with existing community alert schemes and groups like SVDP. Many members of AGS are volunteers in their spare time as well. At this moment there are multiple groups formed all over the country to help the elderly. Its not a competition to see who's has called to the most people. Local knowledge will greatly narrow down who really needs help.

I didn't write the article

That's very evident

• Advertisement

All I said was what was happening in my own locality,I didnt bring up numbers of cars etc.I know the Garda are under resourced.

Can none of the vehicles that the Garda had before this crisis not be used or is it only the 200 hired vehicles?
    Arent there over 2500 cars/vans in operation before anything was hired last month?
    Can none of the original fleet be used to monitor an area?

What post history would this be ?

All the other vehicles are busy dealing with the thousands of criminals running around. They are patrolling. It's what they do 24/7. When they aren't patrolling, it's because there aren't enough Gardai to drive them

Tell ya what, you get all the criminals to drop tools and get people to stop reporting nonsense and we will increase the call in ratio.

I pointed out in detail the numbers compared to other countries. Your can't get blood from a stone

You don't appear to be a fan of teachers either

All the other vehicles are busy dealing with the thousands of criminals running around. They are patrolling. It's what they do 24/7. When they aren't patrolling, it's because there aren't enough Gardai to drive them

Tell ya what, you get all the criminals to drop tools and get people to stop reporting nonsense and we will increase the call in ratio.

I pointed out in detail the numbers compared to other countries. Your can't get blood from a stone

You don't appear to be a fan of teachers either

No need to be so defensive,only asked a question.

Why would I be getting all the criminals to down tools or telling people what they should or shouldn't be reporting. That's just a really childish thing to post,I'd expect better.

What did I say about teachers that wasnt correct or was some sort of attack on them?

Why would gardai be on the top 100 rich list? They don't earn tens of thousands and more a week

I don't want to be a Garda that's why.
    I didn't write the article.

The average is 1300 per week. Raking it in

The average of any public service employment isn't going to give a fair picture.Its will cover all grades from top to bottom.

All the pay scales are available on the relevant department's sites.€30827 is the starting salary for a Garda once they pass out of training college. Iirc it's just an allowance while training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Our police come under a lot of scrutiny,some justified,much not.
    But i have to say i have been blown away by the efforts of the force since this COVID19 crisis started.

In every community throughout the country they have been looking after our elderly and vulnerable.
    Dropping off supplies of food and medications, checking in to make sure people are being looked after and all the while dealing with everyday policing.

Could this crisis change many peoples view on our police.?

Nope absolutely not, the Garda need to be reformed from top to bottom,my opinion of them hasnt changed one bit same as my opinion of FFG hasn't changed one bit, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing and are showing they actually can do a good job but it takes a crisis like this for it to show, if they done this all the time people wouldn't take a dim view of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Seems to me that people feel they owed something. The Gardai are out there doing a dangerous job with minimal resourcing while everyone else is sitting at home safe and secure. I for one have seen the Gardai about. A little public support wouldn't go amiss.

Appreciate yous lads and lasses.

Elemonator wrote: »
    Seems to me that people feel they owed something. The Gardai are out there doing a dangerous job with minimal resourcing while everyone else is sitting at home safe and secure. I for one have seen the Gardai about. A little public support wouldn't go amiss.

Appreciate yous lads and lasses.

They get 3 billion a year budget and the average pay rate is 1300 euro a week

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Nope absolutely not, the Garda need to be reformed from top to bottom,my opinion of them hasnt changed one bit same as my opinion of FFG hasn't changed one bit, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing and are showing they actually can do a good job but it takes a crisis like this for it to show, if they done this all the time people wouldn't take a dim view of them.

Edit- on re reading your post, I realise you more than likely were referring to the government, not the Gardai. But still, the below does apply still to Gardai.

No, it takes a crisis like this to eliminate probably 80% of crime rates, along with probably 90% of waste of time incidents people call Gardai about. Far less traffic incidents to deal with, far far less public order incidents, far less thefts etc. I would imagine domestic violence calls have unfortunately increased though, but one would have to imagine that Gardai have more time for serving communities as they have been during the crisis. You'd struggle to find one Garda who wouldn't love to be serving and helping the community like this all the time, but unfortunately they rarely, if ever, get the time to do this.

You might want to do a little research, sure that you would be earning that amount or more in your job in Facebook if your any good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

They get 1.88BN, the 3BN is for the Dept of Justice which is comprised of more than just the Gardai.

I’ll assume that average pay rate is comprised of all ranks including the Commisioner and other higher ranks, and also takes into account overtime and allowances for working unsocial hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Is it specefied that the gardai are to call in on elderly and the vulnerable while this is ongoing

Advertisement