Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Rmgblue

Discodog wrote: »
    There are using the checkpoints as an opportunity to check windscreens as well.

If I willingly got into my car knowing that I'd meet several checkpoints on the road you can be guaranteed I'd have my windscreen in order. I'm happy for them to check that like me, people have paid their tax and insurance. Some people just make it too easy for the guards and its never their fault the got caught, always the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

It would be ridiculous, if they didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Commissioner has spoken:

"We can't keep going at this operational tempo, which began around the 16th of March, indefinitely, or indeed, for very much longer," he said.

No they're not. I've been through about 8-9 checkpoints and not once have they checked anything on the car. 'Where are you headed' and away off with me. Always keep their distance.

Haven't even glanced in the general direction of my windscreen.

The Commissioner has spoken:

"We can't keep going at this operational tempo, which began around the 16th of March, indefinitely, or indeed, for very much longer," he said.

Wonder what that means?

My area has more than it's fair share of anti social behaviour. Gardai are generally useless in terms of dealing with it and ringing them is often pointless.

However, over the past fortnight, they've really ramped up their efforts. I get the impression that they've a fair few more Gardai hanging around, and a bit less general crime to be dealing with, so they can actually respond properly to things like this.

Over the last fortnight it's like a completely different police force altogether. Two cars arriving at the same time, 4 and 5 Garda dealing with the issues, a proper presence in place. Showing strength in numbers and the scumbags are constantly running from them.

Whereas a month ago you'd have been lucky to get a single Garda car to drive by the area at all, now they're getting out of the cars and being proactive. Response times are now about 10-15 minutes VS the usual hour or two we'd wait before (if they showed up at all).

This is how the Gardai should be policing. If they revert straight back to the 'policing from a distance' then it'll be very frustrating. We desperately need more Gardai on the streets across the country, and I'd have no issue paying a little more tax to get it. We'll be getting slapped with taxes after this anyway, so to throw some extra funding at the Gardai would be a good idea.

Can only imagine how much better the Gardai would be in my area if they focused only on policing and weren't a Meals on Wheels substitute aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,007 ✭✭✭✭zell12

He means holiday leave is cancelled, extended overtime issues, normal paperwork delayed, restricted work due to virus issues, garda going off sick, maternity leave due, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

Economic-Impact-3.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

splinter65 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea why you think that it’s ok for AGS to allow some laws to be broken while insisting that other laws are upheld. That’s ludicrous.
    You’re not making any sense.
    How about people just obey all the laws.
    What your saying is that people can’t be expected to follow ALL the laws of the land at the same time.
    What is it, too complicated for folk or something?
    This law about speeding is to save lives, this law about staying 2km from home is to save lives, but you’re saying one has to be sacrificed to enforce the other. What???
    Why do you think it would come down to a choice?
    What other “choices” will the Gardai make?
    Will they overlook domestic abuse too in favour of patrolling the streets enforcing the 2km rule? I mean, wouldn’t you prefer that that guy gets away with beating up his girlfriend for the next couple of months rather then allow Karen to speed walk into the next village?

To be fair, it's a strange decision to be out with speed guns when

A) they are struggling with the "operational tempo' as per commissioner
    B) speed Vans can do same job with no garda resource

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Zapy

padser wrote: »
    To be fair, it's a strange decision to be out with soews guns when

A) they are struggling with the "operational tempo' as per commissioner
    B) speed Vans can do same job with no garda resource

The way I see it, a guard placed on a road has 2 choices.
    Set up a checkpoint and enforce restrictions which should reduce the spread of the virus. Checkpoints also have a number of other advantages - they could be used to keep an eye on insurance/tax compliance and their presence will also reduce illegal speeding. So I'm happy to see checkpoints - I think they're good value for my taxes right now.

Or they can hide behind a car with a speeding gun...
    I'm not against speeding fines, but guards being used to man checkpoints are much more advantageous to the country at this point.
    And I agree, having a guard doing the job of a speed van makes no sense.

Guards have limited resources in this country. I hope they're used wisely, would hate to see any organisation making a quick buck from this crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Did a guard ride your missus or something? You’ve some serious issue with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

fullstop wrote: »
    True story (all parties are long deceased):

Local chipper owner rings the Superintendent and says "You must arrest the fat policeman - first he eat-a my chips, now he ride-a my wife!".

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Takes a certain mindset to be a Guard.......and it shows...

fullstop wrote: »

I actually don't & I have friends that are Gardai & a couple in senior positions. Some Gardai are just as questioning - but they have to do it discretely.

The good Gardai genuinely want to serve & help the community. They know that the endless stopping & questioning is pointless.

Forcing people to walk on crowded paths when then could be on empty beaches is stupid.

They know that the endless stopping & questioning is pointless.

If they weren't there, I bet you'd be up a mountain or on a beach today, many miles from your home :p

If they weren't there, I bet you'd be up a mountain or on a beach today, many miles from your home :p

I have an empty beach 200m from my home ;)

There is a huge beach at Furbo that could safely accommodate crowds but it's coned off. So people are crowding into smaller areas. One Garda could easily supervise parking so that people socially distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

What i find amusing about some Gardai is if they happen to ask for your licence they are willing to take it off you without them wearing gloves...well that is until you point that out to them and the hand quickly retracts. Their spiel about covid19 is null and void then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have an empty beach 200m from my home ;)

There is a huge beach at Furbo that could safely accommodate crowds but it's coned off. So people are crowding into smaller areas. One Garda could easily supervise parking so that people socially distance.

Why waste a Garda doing that when people should be able to do it themselves.

I live in Dublin City Centre. Go out for a walk everyday since the restrictions. Compared to before the restrictions there is a bigger Garda presence both walking around and in cars. I usually walk for 30 mins and will see a two or three pairs of Garda walking together and two or three patrol cars. Every time I see the Garda walking they are walking shoulder to shoulder, no social distancing. Same with the Garda in patrol cars, two per car (except once I seen just one Garda in a car) sitting next to each other.

So what's going on here? I do my best to adhere to social distancing when I am outside. I assume I am following the guidelines or do I misunderstand something? I notice when the Garda are standing in one place they are most of the time adhering to social distancing (often there are a few standing around by The Spire on O'Connell Street) but they are never doing it whilst walking around or in cars.

I live in Dublin City Centre. Go out for a walk everyday since the restrictions. Compared to before the restrictions there is a bigger Garda presence both walking around and in cars. I usually walk for 30 mins and will see a two or three pairs of Garda walking together and two or three patrol cars. Every time I see the Garda walking they are walking shoulder to shoulder, no social distancing. Same with the Garda in patrol cars, two per car (except once I seen just one Garda in a car) sitting next to each other.

So what's going on here? I do my best to adhere to social distancing when I am outside. I assume I am following the guidelines or do I misunderstand something? I notice when the Garda are standing in one place they are most of the time adhering to social distancing (often there are a few standing around by The Spire on O'Connell Street) but they are never doing it whilst walking around or in cars.

Wouldnt it have been easier to simple ask yourself how the Gardai can socially distance in a car instead of asking us?

Gardai must walk together, they must work together. Its not possible to go solo most of the time. They overlap in the workspace because of the limited space and the work involved.

You can socially distance because its leisure and your alone. The amount of people off work is because social distancing in work is a lot harder. Its very difficult when a junkie is spitting at you and you have to arrest him

• Advertisement

alta stare wrote: »
    What i find amusing about some Gardai is if they happen to ask for your licence they are willing to take it off you without them wearing gloves...well that is until you point that out to them and the hand quickly retracts. Their spiel about covid19 is null and void then.

Gloves arent really needed if you are washing your hands and using sanitiser frequently. Most people wearing gloves seem to completely ignore the most important parts of safety. They rub their faces then touch objects, etc. climb over you in the shop and generally just behave like morons all because 'hey, Im wearing gloves'

Gloves arent really needed if you are washing your hands and using sanitiser frequently. Most people wearing gloves seem to completely ignore the most important parts of safety. They rub their faces then touch objects, etc. climb over you in the shop and generally just behave like morons all because 'hey, Im wearing gloves'

Gardai could become super spreaders

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/expert-calls-for-wider-adoption-of-face-masks-and-warns-gardai-could-become-super-spreaders-998878.html

I put money on this, Garda management will issue instructions for members to wear face masks, shortly after the authorities recommend the general public wear masks in public.
    Garda rep bodies have been calling for members to be issued with masks, management have said members cannot wear masks.

I came across a checkpoint recently and a rude member of our police force wanted to see my licence after he did not like the answer i gave him for me travelling. I held it up for him and he went to take it off me until i pulled it back and asked where his gloves were. He quickly retracted his hand because he knew after all the ****e talk he just gave me about the risk of spreading covid19 his lecture has just been pissed out into the wind. How do i know where his hand had been or if he had been sanitising them?

The majority of Gardai have been nice and professional during this crisis but there is always a guarantee of a few **** manning checkpoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭McCrack

I came across a checkpoint recently and a rude member of our police force wanted to see my licence after he did not like the answer i gave him for me travelling. I held it up for him and he went to take it off me until i pulled it back and asked where his gloves were. He quickly retracted his hand because he knew after all the ****e talk he just gave me about the risk of spreading covid19 his lecture has just been pissed out into the wind. How do i know where his hand had been or if he had been sanitising them?

The majority of Gardai have been nice and professional during this crisis but there is always a guarantee of a few **** manning checkpoints.

Well it's a falsehood to think it would be safer if the Garda had gloves on him/her...unless they change the gloves after every interaction which is not going to happen. Gloves outside a medical setting are pointless. Your point to the Garda was also pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I must have missed the part where he was being a wanker?

There is always that proportion of society who gets offended if the Gardai don't always take your work at face value. You sound like one of those.

• Advertisement

He wasn't a wanker for asking for your license and he could be a dirty git with or without covid. He could also have produced gloves because most carry them.

I suspect your attitude contributed to that situation more than his considering the amount of smug that's coming from your post

And? Not even remotely relevant to my comment about the use of gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Academic in his car has a panic attack! What level of risk actually exists according to him?

Wouldnt it have been easier to simple ask yourself how the Gardai can socially distance in a car instead of asking us?

Gardai must walk together, they must work together. Its not possible to go solo most of the time. They overlap in the workspace because of the limited space and the work involved.

You can socially distance because its leisure and your alone. The amount of people off work is because social distancing in work is a lot harder. Its very difficult when a junkie is spitting at you and you have to arrest him

A screen between front and back seats of car can be put up, not unlike what has gone up in shops recently, you see it also in some taxis. And rather than the two Garda sitting in the front, one can sit in the back.

I understand they must walk together, but can they not walk together two metres apart?

McCrack wrote: »
    Well it's a falsehood to think it would be safer if the Garda had gloves on him/her...unless they change the gloves after every interaction which is not going to happen. Gloves outside a medical setting are pointless. Your point to the Garda was also pointless

Was it? He gave a lecture about a virus and the spreading of it yet he wanted to take my licence in his bare hands...... hypocrisy.

• Advertisement

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I must have missed the part where he was being a wanker?

There is always that proportion of society who gets offended if the Gardai don't always take your work at face value. You sound like one of those.

He was being a wanker. He had an attitude the second my window came down. I had not uttered a word until he started mouthing off.

He wasn't a wanker for asking for your license and he could be a dirty git with or without covid. He could also have produced gloves because most carry them.

I suspect your attitude contributed to that situation more than his considering the amount of smug that's coming from your post

I never said he was a wanker for asking for my licence. I had no problem in giving it to him. His attitude from the get go was him being a wanker. His lecture about spreading the virus was mute the second he wanted to take my licence off me without him wearing gloves. He is frontline he should know better. It is no good producing gloves after he was already committed to taking the licence bare handed. He knew this hence why is hand was withdrawn very quickly.

Again i did not have an attitude. He was on the attack from the get go. He was being a prick and i chose not to listen to it. I questioned him as i am allowed to. He knew he was in the wrong when he took away his hand and let me go without any further questions. Pretty simple to be honest.

I have passed loads of checkpoints without much issue so it was just him being a prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I never said he was a wanker for asking for my licence. I had no problem in giving it to him. His attitude from the get go was him being a wanker. His lecture about spreading the virus was mute the second he wanted to take my licence off me without him wearing gloves. He is frontline he should know better. It is no good producing gloves after he was already committed to taking the licence bare handed. He knew this hence why is hand was withdrawn very quickly.

Again i did not have an attitude. He was on the attack from the get go. He was being a prick and i chose not to listen to it. I questioned him as i am allowed to. He knew he was in the wrong when he took away his hand and let me go without any further questions. Pretty simple to be honest.

I have passed loads of checkpoints with much issue so it was just him being a prick.

We only have testimony from one party here yet I think we'd still all agree the prick was inside the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

I have passed loads of checkpoints without much issue so it was just him being a prick.

How would him wearing gloves had made any difference?

Witcher wrote: »
    We only have testimony from one party here yet I think we'd still all agree the prick was inside the car.

Oooh the big man has arrived. Edgy. Did that make you feel better me ol pal. :D

There is some fairly sad narrow minded individuals on this website at times.

Allinall wrote: »
    How would him wearing gloves had made any difference?

How does me driving my car and not actually getting out of it increase the risk of spreading the virus? It doesn't same as him wearing gloves doesnt either.....he thought he could be a prick and that id just shrink up and go along with his rude attitude...i dont think so.

Ill wait now for the idiots to come along any moment now.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

How does me driving my car and not actually getting out of it increase the risk of spreading the virus? It doesn't same as him wearing gloves doesnt either.....he thought he could be a prick and that id just shrink up and go along with his rude attitude...i dont think so.

Way to not answer a question.

Your first post said that you wouldn't hand over your licence because he wasn't wearing gloves.

Just curious as to what difference you think gloves would have made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: You called? Further digs like this will get you a threadban.

How does me driving my car and not actually getting out of it increase the risk of spreading the virus? .

If you were going anywhere other then places outlined in legislation, then you were breaking the law.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: You called? Further digs like this will get you a threadban.

:D jesus im worried now because i could get a ban off a thread on boards..grow up big man. :D

If you want to be petty then have a read of the posts i was referred to in. Good man.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    If you were going anywhere other then places outlined in legislation, then you were breaking the law.

You nor anyone else here know what i was doing nor does it matter to ye the fact of the matter is i was going to a place i am more than allowed to. I met an ignorant rude member of our police force on my way. It isnt that hard to comprehend yet some narrow minded fools on here think they can duck in and start throwing things around just because they feel all high and mighty. Its gas all the same. Little children wouldn't carry on like some of them do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭McCrack

You nor anyone else here know what i was doing nor does it matter to ye the fact of the matter is i was going to a place i am more than allowed to. I met an ignorant rude member of our police force on my way. It isnt that hard to comprehend yet some narrow minded fools on here think they can duck in and start throwing things around just because they feel all high and mighty. Its gas all the same. Little children wouldn't carry on like some of them do.

You really do have a bad attitude

McCrack wrote: »
    You really do have a bad attitude

Hang on a sec. I post about my experience meeting an ignorant Garda and i get jumped on by the narrow minded folk of Boards. Now i dont expect any different to be honest but none of ye can say nowt to me when ye are making up things in your own heads to suit yer own narratives. Suppression of a different opinion by a narrow minded clique....typical Boards. And as per usual a like minded mod comes to the rescue right on queue.

And? Not even remotely relevant to my comment about the use of gloves.

It is if you are a Garda which hopefully you're not.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

:D jesus im worried now because i could get a ban off a thread on boards..grow up big man. :D

If you want to be petty then have a read of the posts i was referred to in. Good man.
    Threadbanned

A screen between front and back seats of car can be put up, not unlike what has gone up in shops recently, you see it also in some taxis. And rather than the two Garda sitting in the front, one can sit in the back.

I understand they must walk together, but can they not walk together two metres apart?

So, one sits in the back and how does he get out of the car in a hurry to deal with something? Think about who normally sits in the back before answering. You are also proposing grounding the entire Garda fleet while they insert screens into cars not designed to have screens placed in them.

I'm not actually against screens by the way but it requires time to resolve that issue and we don't have that at present

Your last point, yes they could walk 2 meters apart but if they just spent the past week in the car together, in the station together and wrestling a spitting criminal into a cell together. You really think that's the deal breaker?

It is if you are a Garda which hopefully you're not.

Not really. My entire point was that good hygiene by washing and sterilising is the best option and people misuse gloves. As your expert agrees.

Simple point by myself I thought.

Yep, you're dead right, noone here knows what you were doing.
    Which is why I said unless you were doing something illegal under the Law, it doesn't matter.
    Of course, if it was illegal, then you are in the wrong

You nor anyone else here know what i was doing nor does it matter to ye the fact of the matter is i was going to a place i am more than allowed to.

No, we can only go on what you tell us.
    But other people may have been through the same check point is you & had no issues

• Advertisement

GARDAÍ HAVE BEEN told that no further overtime will be sanctioned for members in a number of instances with immediate effect.

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-overtime-suspended-5100417-May2020/

Advertisement