Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

yabadabado wrote: »
    All I said was what was happening in my own locality,I didnt bring up numbers of cars etc.I know the Garda are under resourced.

Can none of the vehicles that the Garda had before this crisis not be used or is it only the 200 hired vehicles?
    Arent there over 2500 cars/vans in operation before anything was hired last month?
    Can none of the original fleet be used to monitor an area?

What post history would this be ?

All the other vehicles are busy dealing with the thousands of criminals running around. They are patrolling. It's what they do 24/7. When they aren't patrolling, it's because there aren't enough Gardai to drive them

Tell ya what, you get all the criminals to drop tools and get people to stop reporting nonsense and we will increase the call in ratio.

I pointed out in detail the numbers compared to other countries. Your can't get blood from a stone

You don't appear to be a fan of teachers either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

All the other vehicles are busy dealing with the thousands of criminals running around. They are patrolling. It's what they do 24/7. When they aren't patrolling, it's because there aren't enough Gardai to drive them

Tell ya what, you get all the criminals to drop tools and get people to stop reporting nonsense and we will increase the call in ratio.

I pointed out in detail the numbers compared to other countries. Your can't get blood from a stone

No need to be so defensive,only asked a question.

Why would I be getting all the criminals to down tools or telling people what they should or shouldn't be reporting. That's just a really childish thing to post,I'd expect better.

What did I say about teachers that wasnt correct or was some sort of attack on them?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Why would gardai be on the top 100 rich list? They don't earn tens of thousands and more a week

I don't want to be a Garda that's why.
    I didn't write the article.

The average is 1300 per week. Raking it in

The average of any public service employment isn't going to give a fair picture.Its will cover all grades from top to bottom.

All the pay scales are available on the relevant department's sites.€30827 is the starting salary for a Garda once they pass out of training college. Iirc it's just an allowance while training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Our police come under a lot of scrutiny,some justified,much not.
    But i have to say i have been blown away by the efforts of the force since this COVID19 crisis started.

In every community throughout the country they have been looking after our elderly and vulnerable.
    Dropping off supplies of food and medications, checking in to make sure people are being looked after and all the while dealing with everyday policing.

Could this crisis change many peoples view on our police.?

Nope absolutely not, the Garda need to be reformed from top to bottom,my opinion of them hasnt changed one bit same as my opinion of FFG hasn't changed one bit, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing and are showing they actually can do a good job but it takes a crisis like this for it to show, if they done this all the time people wouldn't take a dim view of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Seems to me that people feel they owed something. The Gardai are out there doing a dangerous job with minimal resourcing while everyone else is sitting at home safe and secure. I for one have seen the Gardai about. A little public support wouldn't go amiss.

Appreciate yous lads and lasses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Elemonator wrote: »
    Seems to me that people feel they owed something. The Gardai are out there doing a dangerous job with minimal resourcing while everyone else is sitting at home safe and secure. I for one have seen the Gardai about. A little public support wouldn't go amiss.

Appreciate yous lads and lasses.

They get 3 billion a year budget and the average pay rate is 1300 euro a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭baldshin

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Nope absolutely not, the Garda need to be reformed from top to bottom,my opinion of them hasnt changed one bit same as my opinion of FFG hasn't changed one bit, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing and are showing they actually can do a good job but it takes a crisis like this for it to show, if they done this all the time people wouldn't take a dim view of them.

Edit- on re reading your post, I realise you more than likely were referring to the government, not the Gardai. But still, the below does apply still to Gardai.

No, it takes a crisis like this to eliminate probably 80% of crime rates, along with probably 90% of waste of time incidents people call Gardai about. Far less traffic incidents to deal with, far far less public order incidents, far less thefts etc. I would imagine domestic violence calls have unfortunately increased though, but one would have to imagine that Gardai have more time for serving communities as they have been during the crisis. You'd struggle to find one Garda who wouldn't love to be serving and helping the community like this all the time, but unfortunately they rarely, if ever, get the time to do this.

You might want to do a little research, sure that you would be earning that amount or more in your job in Facebook if your any good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

They get 1.88BN, the 3BN is for the Dept of Justice which is comprised of more than just the Gardai.

I’ll assume that average pay rate is comprised of all ranks including the Commisioner and other higher ranks, and also takes into account overtime and allowances for working unsocial hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Is it specefied that the gardai are to call in on elderly and the vulnerable while this is ongoing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Is it specefied that the gardai are to call in on elderly and the vulnerable while this is ongoing

From what I can gather there has been a community policing initiative that's been implemented during this crisis where Gardai will assist the elderly and vulnerable with shopping for food, medicine and fuel for people that don't have the support of family and friends. So I guess that is specified? It tallies with what I've seen in my locality where we have elderly people in a purpose build community with little or no family support.

yabadabado wrote: »
    No need to be so defensive,only asked a question.

Why would I be getting all the criminals to down tools or telling people what they should or shouldn't be reporting. That's just a really childish thing to post,I'd expect better.

What did I say about teachers that wasnt correct or was some sort of attack on them?

I won't be defensive when you don't make go on the offensive. Your having a go because we haven't called to every single older person. When I pointed out the maths you then asked could the rest of the fleet not be used. You couldn't seriously have asked that. You must have realised that the normal fleet is busy with our primary function and again, I pointed out that we are already under ideal manpower during normal times.

My next comment was to try and hammer it home. We are busy.

Third, You can look at your own post history

Most people learn to stop digging. Have you, by any chance finished school? Your reading and maths abilities are atrocious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

As has been pointed out several times this is not true whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

As has been pointed out several times this is not true whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Post the stats so. Irish cops are very well paid by international standards as are nurses. Nurses deserve it, cops largely dont. A force that is ridden with institutional corruption as has been proven time and again.

• Advertisement

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Post the stats so. Irish cops are very well paid by international standards as are nurses. Nurses deserve it, cops largely dont. A force that is ridden with institutional corruption as has been proven time and again.

Really? That's amazing considering Gardai earn less overallthan the national police in Spain, France, Germany and Italy when all income and allowances v cost of living is assessed.

The guardia civil in Spain, gendarmes in France and carabiniers in Italy all avail of free housing and bills for starters.

The psni and London met are paid a better salary of you want to compare locally as they start on police wages from their first day of training.

Most us forces earn more basic salary than Gardai. Nypd for example.

All the above also benefit from allowances and overtime as Gardai do. Some allowances are the same, some are not. London met gets a city allowance for example and subsidised education, health and travel. (London fire also get the same fyi). Policia national in Spain get an inconvenient payment when posted in remote areas.

Forces that do get paid less than Gardai are nearly all Eastern European, African or south American. Countries where the cost of living is very much cheaper than Ireland.

An unbiased view does not support your claim.

https://www.met.police.uk/car/careers/met/police-officer-roles/police-constable/entry-routes/

https://www.joinpsni.co.uk/your-pay-scale

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/careers/police-officers/po-benefits.page

I can only assume you read the Irish times article which compared a qualified Gardas gross salary to the take home net pay of a trainee in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Oops!

Quiet night in the station Niner? :)

tdf7187 wrote: »

That's utterly retarded. Considering the sheer about of abuse that they have to face both from those breaking the law, and the contempt from people like yourself, they should be paid more than they are.

I'm often bemused by the attitude of many Irish towards the Gardai. It's almost as if they've never been abroad and seen how the police operate in other countries. My own experiences of the Gardai have always been very good, whereas my experiences of police in foreign countries has been pot-luck. Some good, mostly bad. Irish Gardai tend to deal with you well, unless you're being a prick... which is something I find a lot of those complaining about the Gardai tend to act. Like a prick. (nope. Not calling you a prick. Unless you fit that profile, that is)

The Gardai are doing a grand job. Some Gardai are power hungry, corrupt, or sadistic... most are not.

In regards to the thread, I haven't seen any Gardai around.. because I'm mostly in my house. Where most of you should be unless you're in essential services, which I doubt that those complaining are. Apart from that, my 1 km walk to the local shop doesn't give me much opportunities to see anyone, never mind, the Gardai.

How much ground are you all covering to be able to say what the Gardai are doing, or not doing?

Oops! wrote: »
    Quiet night in the station Niner? :)

In the station? I'm too busy waking old people up to see do they need anything from lidl

I won't be defensive when you don't make go on the offensive. Your having a go because we haven't called to every single older person. When I pointed out the maths you then asked could the rest of the fleet not be used. You couldn't seriously have asked that. You must have realised that the normal fleet is busy with our primary function and again, I pointed out that we are already under ideal manpower during normal times.

My next comment was to try and hammer it home. We are busy.

Third, You can look at your own post history

I never had a go at garda for not calling to every single older person,I simply pointed out my experience. Go back and read what I said.

It was a genuine question regarding other vehicles in the force but you got defensive and gave a few childish remarks.I asked because some pictures I've seen of Garda doing calls it looked to me like the regular cars/vans.
    Genuine question but it seems you took it as some sorta slight.
    I see you cant or wont give me an answer regarding what you perceive as my dislike for public servants/teachers.No problem whatsoever.

I came to this thread for what I thought would be good discussion but I've been accused of BS and misquoted. So I'll leave ye to it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I think they should be doing less admin work and more community based interaction.

Through no fault of their own, id say they're frustrated without any independence on the job.
    If they can be checking up on people who are vulnerable during a pandemic, why can't they be allowed to do this regularly.

Oh I remember the days of the village guard and he knowing all the scrotes, rogues, crusty bitches and rag tags in the village and rural areas.

Now they're based in the big towns and cities being controlled by some red tape, more than likely implemented by some idiot back in the 90's

I've nothing to hide from the law, so seeing them around wouldn't bother me, they get a lot of stick for not being able to do their jobs properly.

But I think its the system and the guards are working under frustrating conditions and if they're not getting consistent duties and have no consistency on the job they're bound to be having bad days and not up for a bit of banter or being under hostility from the people.

There's a lot of variables in the way our Police Forse are unable to help more.

I say bring back the Village or rural stations, the new systems not working for everyone.

As for all the paper work and admin that's ridiculous, maybe have more civil servants from the HSE cross over into the administration in the department of justice and a big shake up might ease tension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

The guardia civil in Spain, gendarmes in France and carabiniers in Italy all avail of free housing and bills for starters.

I support a pay rise for Gardai but just to point out that the Guardia Civil in Spain traditionally were never barracked in their own area and probably not in their own state. They were Franco's enforcers, lived in barracks but they may be billeted in regular accommodation now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Your boss told people to report:

If people see something that is of concern to them, which they think is something where there is a risk of the illness being spread on, a further vector for the illness, then they should let us know so that we can act, arrive there, deal with the situation and hopefully then resolve it," Commissioner Harris said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Discodog wrote: »
    Your boss told people to report:

If people see something that is of concern to them, which they think is something where there is a risk of the illness being spread on, a further vector for the illness, then they should let us know so that we can act, arrive there, deal with the situation and hopefully then resolve it," Commissioner Harris said.

Drew Harris' quote is from a week after Niner's quote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

this can't be right? It is regarded as a middle of the road job, very average salary etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

If only the gardai were a force that had the guts to tackle the travellers who some have been a law to themselves lately then we could take the gardai seriously.

True, they may be able to claw back some credibility then.... But it won't happen sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Over the last week we’ve heard of over 150 travellers at a funeral in Birr , 25 caravans arriving from the UK and setting up site in the Curragh and a full plane load of highly skilled workers arriving in to pick fruit for us.The Garda have done nothing about any of this yet are stopping law abiding people and asking them where they are going .
    How can anyone honestly feel that the Garda are enforcing restrictions fairly during this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Markcheese

this can't be right? It is regarded as a middle of the road job, very average salary etc

Overtime and allowances ??
    Still seems high ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

scwazrh wrote: »
    Over the last week we’ve heard of over 150 travellers at a funeral in Birr , 25 caravans arriving from the UK and setting up site in the Curragh and a full plane load of highly skilled workers arriving in to pick fruit for us.The Garda have done nothing about any of this yet are stopping law abiding people and asking them where they are going .
    How can anyone honestly feel that the Garda are enforcing restrictions fairly during this ?

Another Blue Air charter flight also landed in Dublin from Romania after the chartered Ryanair flight from Bulgaria.... There's also more on the way.

• Advertisement

If only the gardai were a force that had the guts to tackle the travellers who some have been a law to themselves lately then we could take the gardai seriously.

Galway tonight from Facebook

Load of people down at Menlo castle at illegal party & 8 sulkys racing around kiloughter & ballindooley ridiculous carry on Gardai have been rang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I love how they say they’re investigating the incident at the four courts. There was Gardaí literally stood there watching allowing it to happen. What is there to investigate exactly??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

MadYaker wrote: »
    I love how they say they’re investigating the incident at the four courts. There was Gardaí literally stood there watching allowing it to happen. What is there to investigate exactly??

The price of donuts in Chancery Street.

Apparently they took names :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

Oops! wrote: »
    Another Blue Air charter flight also landed in Dublin from Romania after the chartered Ryanair flight from Bulgaria.... There's also more on the way.

What’s that got to do with the Gardai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭jackboy

In fairness that has nothing to do with the regulations. They are trying to turn people against the protest. In fairness, not many noticed the protest until now the the guards are making an issue of it.

jackboy wrote: »
    In fairness that has nothing to do with the regulations. They are trying to turn people against the protest. In fairness, not many noticed the protest until now the the guards are making an issue of it.

In fairness they had no qualms about moving the women outside Debenhams who were complying with the regs.
    That's the problem with them. No consistency. Like turning people back on the N7 M9 and then letting the Travellers drive all over the Curragh.
    No fairness at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭jackboy

Fann Linn wrote: »
    In fairness they had no qualms about moving the women outside Debenhams who were complying with the regs.
    That's the problem with them. No consistency. Like turning people back on the N7 M9 and then letting the Travellers drive all over the Curragh.
    No fairness at all.

I think the guard on the street is sick of the restrictions and Is just avoiding hassle. I have been stopped the last three evenings going home from work. They asked where was I going, I just told them I was going home from work. What is the point? I could have been lying or going anywhere. I’d say they are demoralised.

jackboy wrote: »
    I think the guard on the street is sick of the restrictions and Is just avoiding hassle. I have been stopped the last three evenings going home from work. They asked where was I going, I just told them I was going home from work. What is the point? I could have been lying or going anywhere. I’d say they are demoralised.

Probably. However it doesn't justify, in broad daylight taking the easy way out in both of the examples I posted earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fann Linn wrote: »
    No fairness at all.

There is consistency, going for easy targets.

They'll never tackle the travelling brethren head on. I suppose they're hoping the virus will naturally winnow down their numbers. Its even more of an Irish joke that they're setting up camp on military land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its their culture Boss. We cant have the police enforcing the law against these ethnics.
    Look at the whinging from the Irish Council for Civil Liberties etc because the Government brought in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Zapy

I was driving to my elderly mothers house this afternoon to deliver shopping. I saw a police car in the distance on a back road near the airport and assumed I was about to be stopped for questioning. But as I came closer I saw an officer standing behind the car with a speed gun!

Have to say I was very disappointed...I thought that enforcing the restrictions was their first priority. Yet here they were passing up on that opportunity and instead focusing on making a few extra Euros instead. With most of the takings possibly coming from frontline and healthcare workers.

I thought it was morally indefensible given the sacrifices that are being made by the citizens of this country. Now is not the time to be making a quick buck. It's disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Zapy wrote: »
    I was driving to my elderly mothers house this afternoon to deliver shopping. I saw a police car in the distance on a back road near the airport and assumed I was about to be stopped for questioning. But as I came closer I saw an officer standing behind the car with a speed gun!

Have to say I was very disappointed...I thought that enforcing the restrictions was their first priority. Yet here they were passing up on that opportunity and instead focusing on making a few extra Euros instead. With most of the takings possibly coming from frontline and healthcare workers.

I thought it was morally indefensible given the sacrifices that are being made by the citizens of this country. Now is not the time to be making a quick buck. It's disgraceful.

You think people should be allowed to drive as fast as they like because there’s a pandemic?Why?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If anyone was in any doubt over the amateur hour mishandling of this crisis by our authorities those stories confirm it. Still no border checks, still no quarantine, still no proper contact tracing, testing is variable depending on the week and that craziness above on top.

Whatever about the existing travellers in the country, indeed forget who they are for a moment. Think on this folks; twenty caravans can come into a country under "lockdown", go in convoy from Dublin port, or wherever, make their way for what 50 kms down main roads and be free to set up an illegal encampment on government land without hindrance. It beggars fucking belief. :mad: It is beyond pathetic and shambolic. I don't wonder that people seeing this ridiculous situation and being stopped going to bloody tesco might think sod this restrictions bollocks.

Oh and I don't blame the rank and file Gardai either. I blame successive governments, I blame a large chunk of the judiciary, I blame the top ranking avoid all responsibility civil servants and I blame outlets like RTE who don't ask tough questions because they have the poorbox out again looking for the rest of us to prop up their creaking not fit for purpose edifice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You on a wind up here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There's an easy way to hold on to your money, don't speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Zapy

splinter65 wrote: »
    You think people should be allowed to drive as fast as they like because there’s a pandemic?Why?

No, not at all. But the guards have limited resources and manually enforcing the restrictions is a huge factor in getting us through this in the shortest time possible.

Would I rather see a dozen speeding tickets issued or a dozen motorists making unnecessary journeys being told to go home and possibly reducing the spread of the virus?
    Which option do you think will help improve the countries situation?

I dont think its in anyones benefit to move the focus to issuing speeding tickets at this moment in time. They can ramp that up come Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No, not at all. But the guards have limited resources and manually enforcing the restrictions is a huge factor in getting us through this in the shortest time possible.

Would I rather see a dozen speeding tickets issued or a dozen motorists making unnecessary journeys being told to go home and possibly reducing the spread of the virus?
    Which option do you think will help improve the countries situation?

I dont think its in anyones benefit to move the focus to issuing speeding tickets at this moment in time. They can ramp that up come Xmas.

I have absolutely no idea why you think that it’s ok for AGS to allow some laws to be broken while insisting that other laws are upheld. That’s ludicrous.
    You’re not making any sense.
    How about people just obey all the laws.
    What your saying is that people can’t be expected to follow ALL the laws of the land at the same time.
    What is it, too complicated for folk or something?
    This law about speeding is to save lives, this law about staying 2km from home is to save lives, but you’re saying one has to be sacrificed to enforce the other. What???
    Why do you think it would come down to a choice?
    What other “choices” will the Gardai make?
    Will they overlook domestic abuse too in favour of patrolling the streets enforcing the 2km rule? I mean, wouldn’t you prefer that that guy gets away with beating up his girlfriend for the next couple of months rather then allow Karen to speed walk into the next village?

There are using the checkpoints as an opportunity to check windscreens as well.

Discodog wrote: »
    There are using the checkpoints as an opportunity to check windscreens as well.

That would be because it's the law to hold tax, insurance & nct & also to display valid discs for same on the windscreen.
    But you know that :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement