Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Hearing from some friends and colleagues in Sweden that they are getting a lot of snow and temperatures have really plummeted over the past week. Up until mid January that was not the case but they are getting blasted with snow since

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

A nation holds its breath :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

There was zero snow from BFTE 2018 in SW Donegal. A few sleety showers beforehand for 1 or 2 days but none settled here in my locality. Very little snow in Co. Sligo either. It was cold but nothing exceptional.

Same here outside Derry. I remember zero snow from that event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

There was zero snow from BFTE 2018 in SW Donegal. A few sleety showers beforehand for 1 or 2 days but none settled here in my locality. Very little snow in Co. Sligo either. It was cold but nothing exceptional.

I stayed awake all night for storm emma here in South Kildare and we got very little snow. 20 miles up the road in North Kildare got buried.

I still saw lots of snow from streamers during the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

According to the folks on Netweather the 12Z GFS is a big warm outlier right throughout. I suppose tonites ECM will give more clarity for all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It looks better than the GFS at 96 hours, closer to UKMO and GEM solution

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

ECM similar to the GEM at +96

ECM1-96.gif

gem-0-96.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Birdnuts wrote: »
    According to the folks on Netweather the 12Z GFS is a big warm outlier right throughout. I suppose tonites ECM will give more clarity for all

Word of caution, they always talk about their location so important to looks at GEFS for your own location. It is on the mild side but not an outlier by any means.

ECM looking ok at +96 and a little colder earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EC 96hr , the nation holds its breath.

I think it is going well enough so far, albeit id prefer to see that low dig south a lot sooner!

ECM1-96.GIF

EC +144 a nice north easterly on Monday

ECM1-144-2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Awesome ECM again tonight with widespread snow in a bitter gale force Easterly!!
    Easterly wind from Russia to USA
    Yet another extraordinary weather event looks likely

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A lot of snow showers packing in there, big cloud tops.

Twists to go yet though. Don't take anything at face value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Al happy again :) Now we'd sleep better if Mr. GFS had good news around 22.30 :)

EC has delivered again..

ECM1-168-3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Awesome ECM again tonight with widespread snow in a bitter gale force Easterly!!

How are the heights you refer to looking?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

How are the heights you refer to looking?!

Shorterm fine bit longterm we could do with upgrades in order to sustain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

ECM remains good however it has definitely corrected the low north at +120 since the 12z yesterday (the then +144 chart).

The cold is also diluted somewhat since the 0z and lasts nights 12z. Getting colder again by +192 but no point looking that far.

Still good, however needs watching.

John.Icy wrote: »
    ECM remains good however it has definitely corrected the low north at +120 since the 12z yesterday (the then +144 chart).

The cold is also diluted a fair amount since the 0z and lasts nights 12z. Getting colder again by +192 but no point looking that far.

Still good, however needs watching.

Yes the low was definitely further north compared to yesterday's 12Z. Still all up in the air but if it worked out like tonight's EC we would be laughing.

Curtains so
    Every time you post stuff like that you jinx it
    Most recently last Saturday week when it rained in Cork...
    From An Imby perspective ,direct easterly is dry here wicklow head to cahore
    Not enough fetch from Welsh coast to Irish,we can see it ffs :D
    Different story if its north east
    200km Fetch then
    Other than that by Tuesday no marginality whatsoever on that Ecm

John.Icy wrote: »

Yes. It could end up further north yet. So it has moved slightly to the GFS ,but it does not cut off the easterly flow, quite the opposite in fact. A very good run, but the outcome is not certain yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

EC has delivered again..

ECM1-168-3.gif

Charts like that with the the easterly winds stretching right across the Atlantic, if something like that happens wonder is it the case of finally seeing the effects of the ssw last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Yeah for people in the south of England (i.e. Netweather) and myself here in Belgium the run isn't good :( Proper cold doesn't arrive until Wednesday at least. Looking great for Ireland though, and nice stiff north-easterly as well to boot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Aye if we could stall things as is on the ECM then great & snow will be about.

But as long as corrections are happening and run-to-run changes are occuring I will be very cautious. This could genuinely go down to 24-48 hours in terms of the cold pool. Winds from the East look more solid but how that low ends up will decide if very cold air is unleashed or if the low spins up some less cold air into the mix.

Exciting but tormenting runs ahead.

Billcarson wrote: »
    Charts like that with the the easterly winds stretching right across the Atlantic, if something like that happens wonder is it the case of finally seeing the effects of the ssw last month.

B811B38F-FC4D-4DBC-9B10-9FB8A60B45A2.png.8bf2b53e70b0090b93300e6bbba568d7.png

Yes it is. You would not have extensive heights like that but for the SSW

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Are we back on track? #neverstopbelieving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

This evening it looks like the gfs moved slightly towards the ecm and the ecm moved slightly towards the gfs. It's like they are converging a bit on some kind of middle ground.

As long as we make it through each day without the whole thing collapsing around us then we are doing well. I think we've managed that today, despite whatever the 18Z shows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

As long as we make it through each day without the whole thing collapsing around us then we are doing well. I think we've managed that today, despite whatever the 18Z shows

And that’s a lot to days to come for that to happen unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Gerry Murphy has slipped out the back door exit at glasnevin, having taken annual leave, leaving large skid marks as he left the complex in a hurry.

• Advertisement

overview_20210202_12_216.jpg.41dcba5b167bc4ac64f6b94786e7493c.jpg

He must have seen this as the final straw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement