Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shave Of The Day - Boards Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

From last night's shave.

Razor Head: Mühle R106
    Razor Handle: Parker 91R
    Razor Blade: 'Gillette Green'
    Shaving Cream: Monsavon
    Shaving Brush: Wilkinson Budget Badger brush (under €5 retail)
    After Shave: Royall Bay Rhum (Royal Lyme)

amalgamsotd.jpg

My routine doesn't change, this is it, day in, day out.. I alternate with 'Gillette Yellow', both rather sturdy, rigid, predictable blades.

The Gillette disposable top left is an eBay purchase from India. There's talk of it in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82440743

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I looooovvvvvee Monsavon. Awesome soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

hitemfrank wrote: »
    La Toja Manantiales - Semogue 610 - Henkotsu Kamisori - Floid Blue

What's a kamisori like to shave with? Is there a different technique to using a straight razor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Dramatik wrote: »
    What's a kamisori like to shave with? Is there a different technique to using a straight razor?

It's pretty much the same technique but you just have to watch out for the spike like points on both ends of the razor.

They can be a little awkward when you first use them if you are used to razors with scales but it doesn't take long to get to grips with them.

RazoRock S. Maria - Semogue LE FB1 - Toyo Scheon Burg #666 - Alt Innsbruck

69fk1e.jpg

• Advertisement

RazoRock S. Maria - Semogue LE FB1 - Toyo Scheon Burg #666 - Alt Innsbruck

Alt Innsbruck is on my quirky-yet-to-buy list, along with (Swiss red logo) Pitralon.

It's pretty nice stuff. It has tons of menthol in it so it's great on those very rare hot Irish days.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

It's pretty much the same technique but you just have to watch out for the spike like points on both ends of the razor.

They can be a little awkward when you first use them if you are used to razors with scales but it doesn't take long to get to grips with them.

I will have to have a go with one some day, well it's been added to the list anyway along with a Revisor razor.

Dramatik wrote: »
    I will have to have a go with one some day, well it's been added to the list anyway along with a Revisor razor.

A Kamisori and a Revisor - you, like myself, clearly have fine taste :D

Mama Bear Orange Orange - Semogue 1520 - 6/8 Revisor - Floid Suave - GFT Limes Skin Food

20ihx1y.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tifosi

Mama Bear Orange Orange QUOTE]

Hitemfrank, You appear fond of the Mama Bear Orange how do you personally find it, and may I ask where did you get it from.

I got it from here.

It's a glycerin based soap and it makes a pretty nice lather once you get the hang of it.

I'm not actually constantly using it because of my fondness for it, I'm using it because I want to start actually finishing products. I have so many products and I want to finish some before actually buying more stuff.

Mama Bear Orange Orange - Semogue LE FB1 - 5/8 Dovo - Myrsol Agua De Limon

2rpxzq0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭macrob77

Hi.
    Today's shave:

Thiers Issard "Evidee Sonnant Extra"
    Semogue "Owners Club"
    Soap: Penhaligon "English Fern"

GOLENIEDNIA_zpse45252c8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭macrob77

Hi.

Razor: Puma 1938
    Brush: Semogue
    Shaving cream: Williams

puma_zpsc0aca19a.jpg

Are those razor coffins made by Puma made out of wood?

I think they look nicer than most other vintage razor coffins.

Mama Bear Orange Orange - ZebraWood Silvertip - 6/8 Revisor - D.R Harris Arlington

fny62t.jpg

Mama Bear Orange Orange - Semogue 610 - Clements Perfection - Floid Suave

bjae87.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

9188377998_4149afcf11.jpg

Is the Mama Bear worth a try? Some US friends in the States due over at the end of the month, might get a few brought over.

• Advertisement

It only costs about $10 and will last a fairly long time - a few months of daily use. That's just for the puck of soap, it's a little more for a plastic tub. You can even get them in nice looking wooden bowls for more money.

There is a fairly large amount of choice of scents. Have a look through here http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

I'd say they are definitely worth a go.

Cheers, will ask my American pals to bring me over a stash so. Appreciate the info.

Mama Bear Orange Orange - Zebra Wood Silvertip - Henkotsu Kamisori - Myrsol Agua De Limon

33fdtsi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Is the Mama Bear worth a try? Some US friends in the States due over at the end of the month, might get a few brought over.

You might also check out Mike's Soaps, they are about the nicest soaps I've tried. The Barber Shop and Bay Rum are really nice.

http://www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com/Mikes_Natural_Soaps/Shaving_Soaps.html

Even shipped to Ireland they aren't too expensive if you buy 2.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll be sure and check them out.

I stopped buying direct from the States a few years back.. too much hassle with customs adding 2 weeks onto deliver times along with custom charges.

Update -> Ordered some stuff from both Mama Bear and Mikes. Will have them at the end of the month when US folk arrive over.

Cheers

9213647623_634d3c28a7_z.jpg

That Semogue looks pretty new. Have you used it much?

That's a 1520, right? A nice little brush for little money.

A 1520 indeed... went on a bit of a splurge this week... one of three new brushes purchased.

I used it once with the T&H cream which is also new and they were a very nice combo.

Only problem is.. two cracks in the handle paint already.

I've had mine for about a year now and the paint hasn't cracked yet.

Well except when I drop the handle and took a chunk out of the paint on the bottom.

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Only problem is.. two cracks in the handle paint already.

Had the same, the heavy varnish on their unpainted brushes chips quite easily. No problem with the brush though. (Semogue 2000)

I meant to ask, what scent is the Truefitt and Hill?

Advertisement