Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

The good news from my own point of view coming out of the Clare CB county convention is that John Carmody will not be the Clare U20 hurling manager for 2019 as had been widely speculated. It will be Sean Doyle who was outgoing Clare minor hurling manager for the last 2 years. To say that I have no time for Carmody would be an understatement. Doyle did reasonably well in his stint as minor manager and will be a huge improvement on Carmody. Whether that will be enough to defeat the winners of Limerick or Cork in the Munster semi-final remains to be seen, but we will be competitive unlike in 2017 and '18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

The good news from my own point of view coming out of the Clare CB county convention is that John Carmody will not be the Clare U20 hurling manager for 2019 as had been widely speculated. It will be Sean Doyle who was outgoing Clare minor hurling manager for the last 2 years. To say that I have no time for Carmody would be an understatement. Doyle did reasonably well in his stint as minor manager and will be a huge improvement on Carmody. Whether that will be enough to defeat the winners of Limerick or Cork in the Munster semi-final remains to be seen, but we will be competitive unlike in 2017 and '18.

100% agree with you on this , i was very disappointed with carmody as manager myself , doyle is an excellent coach huge step up in class in my opinion from carmody , plus it will allow him to work through the players that are over age from last years minors

any idea why it took so long to announce the management ?

100% agree with you on this , i was very disappointed with carmody as manager myself , doyle is an excellent coach huge step up in class in my opinion from carmody , plus it will allow him to work through the players that are over age from last years minors

any idea why it took so long to announce the management ?

Carmody wanted the U20 gig and according to what I heard in October, there was going to be no change in management albeit in this new U20 grade for 2019 as in the previous 2 years at U21 level. I thought that Carmody was the only candidate up for nomination in October's Clare CB meeting from what I was told.

However what happened since then is unclear. Regardless the right decision has been made for Carmody to depart. Sean Doyle will have the likes of Rian Considine, Aidan McCarthy, Diarmuid Ryan and Gary Cooney who are all on the Clare senior hurling panel at his disposal for 2019. A makings of a very good U20 team that's for sure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

letowski wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea for Conor McGrath to take a break from hurling for a while. He has a dip in form the last two years and hasn't looked himself. The thing about McGrath we sometimes forget is that he broke through onto the Clare team very young, I think at about 19/20. He has started and played ever year, as well as both codes for Cratloe who are usually as the business ends of both county championships. You also have to factor in a couple of very serious injuries including a very bad hip injury, the type that ended Honan's career a while back. He has given huge service to both club and county it's crazy to think his is only about 27 years old. I think it's very hard for amateurs to go through all that along with the commitment that's required nowadays. It would be only human for a guy to just want to have a bit of down time for a while to a have couple of drinks with friends or go on a trip somewhere.

I'd love to see him back to his late 2013 and 2014 form, he is one of the best and stylish forwards we have produced since the turn of the century.
    Taking a break...I don't think we will see him back in the Clare jersey again. He has given all awful lot to this county and owes us nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Keano wrote: »
    Taking a break...I don't think we will see him back in the Clare jersey again. He has given all awful lot to this county and owes us nothing.

I think you will see him again in May. Sensible to give time to recover from what ever injury was holding him back this. He doesn't need league matches to prove himself. McGrath is gifted he will be a huge loss if he doesn't come back. That kind of talent is rare.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Figerty wrote: »
    I think you will see him again in May. Sensible to give time to recover from what ever injury was holding him back this. He doesn't need league matches to prove himself. McGrath is gifted he will be a huge loss if he doesn't come back. That kind of talent is rare.
    100% agree and would love to see him back but I just don't see it happening.

Gearoid Cahill - Corofin, Dale Masterson - St Breckans and Davy O'Halloran - Eire Og Inis are just some of the new additions on Colm Collins Clare senior football panel for 2019. Those 3 players played against Limerick in a challenge match last weekend in Cratloe, a game that saw Clare win by 2 points. Gary Brennan got 2-6 playing full-forward at that game. Does anyone know any players who has left the Clare senior football panel from last season? Any info on that would be greatly appreciated. They were due to play University of Limerick during the week also I believe.

Unfortunately Eoin Cleary has had an operation in his hand (I think), which will mean that he will miss the start of the National League campaign for 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I read Davys book over the last couple of days. It's a good read.
    https://www.easons.com/at-all-costs-davy-fitzgerald-9780717179602

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Gearoid Cahill - Corofin, Dale Masterson - St Breckans and Davy O'Halloran - Eire Og Inis are just some of the new additions on Colm Collins Clare senior football panel for 2019. Those 3 players played against Limerick in a challenge match last weekend in Cratloe, a game that saw Clare win by 2 points. Gary Brennan got 2-6 playing full-forward at that game. Does anyone know any players who has left the Clare senior football panel from last season? Any info on that would be greatly appreciated. They were due to play University of Limerick during the week also I believe.

Unfortunately Eoin Cleary has had an operation in his hand (I think), which will mean that he will miss the start of the National League campaign for 2019.

Is Dean Ryan back? Is Keelan Sexton missing for a few games too?

• Advertisement

the idea of playing hurling this time of the year is almost laughable , the hurlers play cork later today in the park surly this game could have been played next week and let lads enjoy the christmas properly

not getting on the managements back as they have done a pretty good job in the last two years , but no championship player should be playing tomorrow , there were enough lads putting there hands up in the club championship to give the likes of fitzgearld, galvin malone the day off , malone had a long year with the ennistymon footballers , galvin is a player that should be rested until the middle of the league , however it is great to see a number of faces back on the panel along with young adian mccarthy , diarmuid ryan , rian considine , gary cooney , hopefully mikey o'niell takes his chance , although a swap with shane golden is surly going to take place at some stage between the two

. Keith Hogan (Clooney-Quin)

2. Jason McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    29. David Fitzgerald (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    4. Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones na Sionna)

10. Aidan McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    18. Colm Galvin (Clonlara) - Captain
    7. Cathal Malone (Sixmilebridge)

8. Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge)
    28. Michael O'Malley (Kilmaley)

5. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)
    11. Niall Deasy (Ballyea)
    17. Ryan Taylor (Clooney-Quin)

13. Gary Cooney (O'Callaghan's Mills)
    12. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones na Sionna)
    22. Michael O'Neill (Kilmaley)

SUBSTITUTES:
    16. Andrew Fahy (Whitegate)
    14. Colin Guilfoyle (Newmarket On Fergus)
    9. David Conroy (St Joseph's Doora Barefield)
    19. Brian Corry (Sixmilebridge)
    3. David McInerney (Tulla)
    27. Conor Cleary (St Josephs Miltown)
    15. Cathal McInerney (Cratloe)
    23. Tony Kelly (Ballyea)
    24. Rian Considine (Cratloe)
    26. Jack Browne (Ballyea)
    6. Jamie Shanahan (Sixmilebridge)

Gael85 wrote: »
    Is Dean Ryan back? Is Keelan Sexton missing for a few games too?

dean ryan played in the challenge game vs limerick in cratloe the week before last
    keelan didnt but i imagine he needs a break , in fairness to him his form has been off over the year at times , he is an excellent player in top form so imagine he probably wont see much until the league

this is the team that lined out and probably the same in the mcgrath cup every one got a look in i believe it ended 2-11 to 1-12 to clare

1 Robert Eyres (Kildysart),
    2 Éinne O’Connor(Éire Og),
    3 Cillian Brennan (Clondegad),
    4 Eoghan Collins (Ballyhaunis) (0-1),
    5 Pearse Lillis (Cooraclare) (0-1),
    6 Aaron Fitzgerald (ÉireÓg),
    7 Dale Masterson (St Breckan’s),
    8 Danny Griffen (Eire OG) (0-1)
    9 Cathal O Connor (Coolmeen),
    10 Conal Ó hAiniféin (Éire Óg),
    11 Sean Collins (Cratloe) (0-1),
    12 Dean Ryan (Éire Óg),
    13 Gavin Cooney (Éire Óg),
    14 Gary Brennan (Clondegad) (2-6, 3f),
    15 Davy O’Halloran (Éire Óg).
    Subs
    Jayme O’Sullivan (Wolfe Tones),
    Mark Meaney (Coolmeen),
    Dermot Coughlan (Kilmurry Ibrickane),
    Sean Rouine (Ennistymon),
    Stephen Ryan (Kilrush Shamrocks) (goalkeeper)
    Gearoid Cahill (Corofin) (0-1)
    Niall Ellis (Shannon Gaels )

dean ryan played in the challenge game vs limerick in cratloe the week before last
    keelan didnt but i imagine he needs a break , in fairness to him his form has been off over the year at times , he is an excellent player in top form so imagine he probably wont see much until the league

this is the team that lined out and probably the same in the mcgrath cup every one got a look in i believe it ended 2-11 to 1-12 to clare

1 Robert Eyres (Kildysart),
    2 Éinne O’Connor(Éire Og),
    3 Cillian Brennan (Clondegad),
    4 Eoghan Collins (Ballyhaunis) (0-1),
    5 Pearse Lillis (Cooraclare) (0-1),
    6 Aaron Fitzgerald (ÉireÓg),
    7 Dale Masterson (St Breckan’s),
    8 Danny Griffen (Eire OG) (0-1)
    9 Cathal O Connor (Coolmeen),
    10 Conal Ó hAiniféin (Éire Óg),
    11 Sean Collins (Cratloe) (0-1),
    12 Dean Ryan (Éire Óg),
    13 Gavin Cooney (Éire Óg),
    14 Gary Brennan (Clondegad) (2-6, 3f),
    15 Davy O’Halloran (Éire Óg).
    Subs
    Jayme O’Sullivan (Wolfe Tones),
    Mark Meaney (Coolmeen),
    Dermot Coughlan (Kilmurry Ibrickane),
    Sean Rouine (Ennistymon),
    Stephen Ryan (Kilrush Shamrocks) (goalkeeper)
    Gearoid Cahill (Corofin) (0-1)
    Niall Ellis (Shannon Gaels )

Windy are Eimhin Courtney (Eire Og) and Conor Finucane (Lissycasey) still on the Clare senior football panel from what you know? Any info on that will be greatly appreciated. I hope that you had a great Christmas windy and I always enjoyed your views on GAA matters. Keep up the great work and here's hoping to a successful new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Windy are Eimhin Courtney (Eire Og) and Conor Finucane (Lissycasey) still on the Clare senior football panel from what you know? Any info on that will be greatly appreciated. I hope that you had a great Christmas windy and I always enjoyed your views on GAA matters. Keep up the great work and here's hoping to a successful new year.

Windy shepherd Henderson is definitely the best name I've seen on boards

Clare 1-20 Cork 0-21 in the Munster hurling league

Just back from the match. Overall most encouraging to see when the chips were down, the younger lads really stood up. The banner were 4 points down with minutes remaining when a hopeful ball from Conor Cleary from around the middle of the field found Newmarket's Colin Guilfoyle and put the ball back in the Cork net. For me the big finds were Gary Cooney and Diarmuid Ryan who were immense today. Gary's has huge pace to burn and while he scored some great points, he was a tad naive with his shooting. He will get better that's for sure. Cratloe's Ryan is a huge upcoming talent and chipped in with some marvellous scores while doing his bit on the defensive side.

On the negatives, the first half was most disappointing. Aron Shanagher was poor throughout but the supply from the other players in the saffron and blue was very poor also. Cork could have got at least 3 goals in the first half but for the help of Keith Hogan in goal. Wides were also a concern, well over double digits I'm afraid while Niall Deasy missed some frees that he usually gets with his eyes closed. But in the second half we tidied up the defensively while also playing better ball to Cooney, Mikey O'Neill and co.

Clare now know that any win over Waterford in the next round of the Munster League will secure a place in the final where they will most likely meet Tipperary in the final of the pre-season competition, to be played on Sunday January 13th.

many happy returns my good friend :) ,

as far as i know no one has left the panel as of yet from last year , sean o'donohue will probably leave if he gets a contract down under , he could also leave for the states again in the summer like last year

finucane and courtney could have breakthrough years this year courtney was excellent against armagh in the qualifier , only problem i have with them two would be there size they would need to bulk up a bit for this level

• Advertisement

didnt make it to the park today , still think this game should have been played , maybe next week good to hear reports of gary cooney putting in a decent shift , also looking forward to see how adian mccarthy and diarmuid ryan progress over the year

here is some highlights from buff egan on youtube along with interviews afterwards from clare tv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭letowski

Clare 1-20 Cork 0-21 in the Munster hurling league

Just back from the match. Overall most encouraging to see when the chips were down, the younger lads really stood up. The banner were 4 points down with minutes remaining when a hopeful ball from Conor Cleary from around the middle of the field found Newmarket's Colin Guilfoyle and put the ball back in the Cork net. For me the big finds were Gary Cooney and Diarmuid Ryan who were immense today. Gary's has huge pace to burn and while he scored some great points, he was a tad naive with his shooting. He will get better that's for sure. Cratloe's Ryan is a huge upcoming talent and chipped in with some marvellous scores while doing his bit on the defensive side.

On the negatives, the first half was most disappointing. Aron Shanagher was poor throughout but the supply from the other players in the saffron and blue was very poor also. Cork could have got at least 3 goals in the first half but for the help of Keith Hogan in goal. Wides were also a concern, well over double digits I'm afraid while Niall Deasy missed some frees that he usually gets with his eyes closed. But in the second half we tidied up the defensively while also playing better ball to Cooney, Mikey O'Neill and co.

Clare now know that any win over Waterford in the next round of the Munster League will secure a place in the final where they will most likely meet Tipperary in the final of the pre-season competition, to be played on Sunday January 13th.

Very much appreciate the write up of the match ready4liftoff.

Could I ask, how did Jason McCarthy and Rory Hayes play in the corners? I think Hayes has a good chance to start this year. Also, I like the idea of trying out McCarthy in the corner as he has the tenacity and pace for the position, and can hurl. Wouldn't be a fan of Fitz at 3 though.

Good to see the management trying to develop players like Deasy and Guilfoyle. I'm hoping Deasy can make the step up this year, if we could get him playing at a good intercounty standard he would be a big asset to us. I thught we wouldn't see Aidan McCarthy until next year (edit: 2020), but it's good to see the management like where he is at already to call him up.

But no doubt, Ryan and Cooney are exciting talents. Cooney, for me, has a bit of class about him. Sure, we have produced a good few skillful forwards in recent years, but Cooney has that quick ability to move and create space for himself to take a score that sets him apart. I think, with Reidy not on the panel, Ian Galvin will start with Cooney taking over as the impact scoring sub.

letowski wrote: »
    Very much appreciate the write up of the match ready4liftoff.

Could I ask, how did Jason McCarthy and Rory Hayes play in the corners? I think Hayes has a good chance to start this year. Also, I like the idea of trying out McCarthy in the corner as he has the tenacity and pace for the position, and can hurl. Wouldn't be a fan of Fitz at 3 though.

Good to see the management trying to develop players like Deasy and Guilfoyle. I'm hoping Deasy can make the step up this year, if we could get him playing at a good intercounty standard he would be a big asset to us. I thught we wouldn't see Aidan McCarthy until next year (edit: 2020), but it's good to see the management like where he is at already to call him up.

But no doubt, Ryan and Cooney are exciting talents. Cooney, for me, has a bit of class about him. Sure, we have produced a good few skillful forwards in recent years, but Cooney has that quick ability to move and create space for himself to take a score that sets him apart. I think, with Reidy not on the panel, Ian Galvin will start with Cooney taking over as the impact scoring sub.

Rory Hayes was caught for pace quite a bit yesterday in my eyes. Also got a needless yellow card for his troubles. Jason McCarthy is tenacious and did much better in the second half when Clare got on top. The full back line was most exposed in the first 35 mins.

David Fitzgerald in full back and Colm Galvin at centre back experiment failed spectacularly in my opinion yesterday. In Fitzgerald's case there was a moment where he took a free and and incredibly mi**** it and then did a cardinal sin by ground hurling the ball backwards towards the Clare goal. This taking place inside the Clare half remember and should have resulted in a Cork goal. I thought that Clare looked heavy-legged at times, maybe they are doing heavy training at the moment.

As I said previously Clare's top performers came from Gary Cooney and Diarmuid Ryan. Two young lads making a case to be part of Donal and Gerry's panel come League and Championship. Great to see. Unfortunately the inaccuracy of our shooting and our defensive structure in the first half are something that need addressing going forward. But hey its not even January so no panic just yet. Waterford is next on the agenda for the saffron and blue. That game is to be played next Sunday with a 3 pm throw-in at Dungarvan.

happy new year comrades i countie An clar

while we are all massively optimystic of our chances in 2019 , gerry said it in last saturday's interview that the squad will not be rotated much over the coming year ,

while we have the game and massive talent he is basically laying what cards he has on the table and saying hit me , this is not the orthodox way of wining an all ireland

it looks like i will be following the footballers for the league again this year and hurlers for the championship , which is no bad thing but i would prefer an experiential league for the hurlers

I see Kilfenora have pulled out of the North Clare amalgamation for senior football championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

I see Kilfenora have pulled out of the North Clare amalgamation for senior football championship.

Who's left in that now? Probably should leave out the amalgamations altogether, relegate five again next year leaving 8. Two groups of four should be fairly competitive as only two maybe three teams can win it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Who's left in that now? Probably should leave out the amalgamations altogether, relegate five again next year leaving 8. Two groups of four should be fairly competitive as only two maybe three teams can win it anyway.

It's gone, No north clare amalgamation now.

If clubs are drawn together in intermediate championship could cause issue for amalgamated teams as in training together? Works in Kerry as not a dual county and they play off club championships before county championship(with amalgamated teams)

It's gone, No north clare amalgamation now.

Was it Kilfenora, Ballvaughan and Cusacks for North Clare amalgamation or were Breckans in that?

If clubs are drawn together in intermediate championship could cause issue for amalgamated teams as in training together? Works in Kerry as not a dual county and they play off club championships before county championship(with amalgamated teams)

this was always going to be the major flaw , in order for this to work properly it has to copy the kerry module , example when kilrush played kilcummin in the munster intermediate championship last november it was the kerry sides first intermediate championship game since may

in kerry the championships are run separately , the kerry intermediate championship final was played in may allowing for clubs to fully commit to there amalgamations in the senior championship

it is probably the only way realistically it could work ,but then it brings a separate problem , there is no law at the moment that could stop say eire og sending players to play for the intermediate team and use the same players later on in the championship for the seniors , it would offer an unfair advantage to say kildysart or o'currys if they had to come up against half the eire og senior team in the first round of the intermediate championship

with lads in most clubs now playing hurling one week and football the next it was always going to be a huge problem especially playing 2 games in the same weekend , o'currys/naomh eoin are probably the only amalgamation that dose not have lads hurling at the moment so it should work for them , but ultimatly this may lead to a full time amalgamation like inagh/kilnamona in years to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Was it Kilfenora, Ballvaughan and Cusacks for North Clare amalgamation or were Breckans in that?

Ya liscannor and breckans were asked aswell but declined, kilfenora pulled out at the last minute. Ironically enough it was kilfenora that approached the others to being with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hurling brought forward to 2.00pm on Sunday in Dungarven.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Hurling brought forward to 2.00pm on Sunday in Dungarven.

With the football between the same two counties set to take place at Ballinacourty, Gold Coast in Dungarvan resort at 1 pm, a 10 mins drive away, once again GAA fans being screwed over yet again. These two matches were to be played in Fraher Field, as part of a double-header. But for some unknown reason, the football was moved to Ballinacourty. While the hurling was to remain in Fraher Field at 3 pm.

But as you point out finbarrk, the hurling match has now changed to 2 pm. What do the Munster Council think we as fans are? Crazy, crazy stuff by those who are in charge of setting fixtures in Munster GAA.

With the Clare senior footballers taking on Waterford in the McGrath Cup in Ballinacourty on Sunday, I thought I give a quick glance what team I expect in the Deise county come Sunday. Remember this is not the official team. Just my opinion.

1. Robert Eyres - Kildysert
    2. Eoghan Collins - Ballyhaunis
    3. Cillian Brennan - Clondegad
    4. Dean Ryan - Eire Og
    5. Cian O'Dea - Kilfenora
    6. Aaron Fitzgerald - Eire Og
    7. Jonah Culligan - Ballyvaughan
    8. Cathal O'Connor - Coolmeen
    9. Danny Griffin - Eire Og
    10. Sean Collins - Cratloe
    11. Davy O'Halloran - Eire Og
    12. Gearoid O'Brien - Kilrush
    13. Eimhin Courtney - Eire Og
    14. Gavin Cooney - Eire Og
    15. Conor Finnucane - Lissycasey

Possible subs include Gearoid Cahill - Corofin, Cormac Murray - St Josephs Miltown, Dale Masterson - St Breckans, Dermot Coughlan - Kimurry Ibrickane and Jayme O'Sullivan - Wolfe Tones.

That has a makings of a very strong team, in particularly in attack with some very impressive forwards on that team and squad. The most important game is in 3 weeks time, when they take on Donegal in the opening NFL Division Two contest in Cusack Park. Overall a lot to look forward. What do other posters think about that team I picked for Sunday? Also don't be surprised to see the likes of the more established players like Jamie Malone, Keelan Sexton, David Tubridy and Gary Brennan to come on from the subs bench, if the Banner are struggling, against what I expect will be a experimental Deise outfit also. Best of luck to the Clare senior footballers and indeed all our inter-county teams of all codes for 2019.

With the Clare senior footballers taking on Waterford in the McGrath Cup in Ballinacourty on Sunday, I thought I give a quick glance what team I expect in the Deise county come Sunday. Remember this is not the official team. Just my opinion.

1. Robert Eyres - Kildysert
    2. Eoghan Collins - Ballyhaunis
    3. Cillian Brennan - Clondegad
    4. Dean Ryan - Eire Og
    5. Cian O'Dea - Kilfenora
    6. Aaron Fitzgerald - Eire Og
    7. Jonah Culligan - Ballyvaughan
    8. Cathal O'Connor - Coolmeen
    9. Danny Griffin - Eire Og
    10. Sean Collins - Cratloe
    11. Davy O'Halloran - Eire Og
    12. Gearoid O'Brien - Kilrush
    13. Eimhin Courtney - Eire Og
    14. Gavin Cooney - Eire Og
    15. Conor Finnucane - Lissycasey

Possible subs include Gearoid Cahill - Corofin, Cormac Murray - St Josephs Miltown, Dale Masterson - St Breckans, Dermot Coughlan - Kimurry Ibrickane and Jayme O'Sullivan - Wolfe Tones.

That has a makings of a very strong team, in particularly in attack with some very impressive forwards on that team and squad. The most important game is in 3 weeks time, when they take on Donegal in the opening NFL Division Two contest in Cusack Park. Overall a lot to look forward. What do other posters think about that team I picked for Sunday? Also don't be surprised to see the likes of the more established players like Jamie Malone, Keelan Sexton, David Tubridy and Gary Brennan to come on from the subs bench, if the Banner are struggling, against what I expect will be a experimental Deise outfit also. Best of luck to the Clare senior footballers and indeed all our inter-county teams of all codes for 2019.

Is Kevin Harnett available? Will Gordon Kelly continue on? Clare have a lot of good forwards coming through but badly in need of a couple defenders. Dean Ryan will be a massive addition to the team. Saw Danny Griffin play for Eire Og in junior final 2 years ago. Was impressive that day but surely too soon to be starting midfield at inter county level?

• Advertisement

Is Kevin Harnett available? Will Gordon Kelly continue on? Clare have a lot of good forwards coming through but badly in need of a couple defenders. Dean Ryan will be a massive addition to the team. Saw Danny Griffin play for Eire Og in junior final 2 years ago. Was impressive that day but surely too soon to be starting midfield at inter county level?

The good news to your first two questions that I highlighted in bold is that both Kelly and Hartnett have committed to the Banner cause for 2019.

Don't forget Sean O'Donoghue who will likely play his final year with the Clare senior footballers this year, before either going back to the States after finishing college or being involved with an AFL team in Australia, providing everything goes well in his trial in the coming months after impressing in an recent AFL Combine event in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Any word on where the footballers league game against Armagh is going to be on? Armagh are supposed to give up home advantage for their first home league game for breaking some training ban

clare team for the trip to waterford tomorrow , gerry o connor stressed the need to find a settled squad as quickly as possible , cant imagine too much squad rotation over the league , i expect several of the fringe players to get some sort of game time over the course of the league but i have a feeling from the tipperary game onwards it will be a similar looking squad from what will eventually line out in the championship ,

not going to please everyone but i would still expect to see diarmuid ryan and colin guilfoyle have a breakthrough year while rory hayes , mikey o'neill and ryan taylor need to thake there chance here to keep them in squad contention i feel

https://twitter.com/ClareSenHurlers/status/1081574994117824512

Boots234 wrote: »
    Any word on where the footballers league game against Armagh is going to be on? Armagh are supposed to give up home advantage for their first home league game for breaking some training ban

not sure if it has passed the appeals stage yet , waterford and wexford have lost appeals in hurling already , but i dont think the armagh appeal has surpassed yet , they trained abroad last april during the club only month

even if they do lose the appeal , i highly doubt clare will benefit too much out of it, the hurlers will play wexford that day , and with no floodlights in the park you can rule out a double header of we did get home advantage ,

the likely hood is the game will be played in newry or clonas or somewhere like that , which will still involve a fair bit of driving ,
    i have asked a number of people on this but have heard nothing as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭letowski

clare team for the trip to waterford tomorrow , gerry o connor stressed the need to find a settled squad as quickly as possible , cant imagine too much squad rotation over the league , i expect several of the fringe players to get some sort of game time over the course of the league but i have a feeling from the tipperary game onwards it will be a similar looking squad from what will eventually line out in the championship ,

not going to please everyone but i would still expect to see diarmuid ryan and colin guilfoyle have a breakthrough year while rory hayes , mikey o'neill and ryan taylor need to thake there chance here to keep them in squad contention i feel

https://twitter.com/ClareSenHurlers/status/1081574994117824512

I was hoping for a bit of squad rotation but its not unexpected to hear this from the management. The only thing I would like to see is that we give a good 20-22 players a decent amount of game time. Last year I think there was only about 18 players that got starts. Players like Conlon especially, Duggan, Galvin, Kelly don't need to be starting 5 or so games this spring. Players I would like to see get a start would be Deasy, Guilfoyle, Ryan, Hayes and Cooney. Is Oisin O'Brien back this year?

With regards to the team, I would like to see Diarmuid Ryan stake a claim for a place at wing back as it is his best position. I like the look of the full back and full forwards lines I must say. It would be interesting to see if the management want to go with two big inside forwards this year. Conlon and Shanagher looked good playing beside each other against Galway as it brings a different dimension to our attack.

Clare and Waterford senior football teams and panels on the link below. No Conor Finnucane, Keelan Sexton, Cormac Murray or Sean O'Donoghue in that panel for Clare. Still a very strong team though.

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/1081888939915558913

Also surprised to not see the likes of Jonah Culligan who was outstanding for the Clare U20's last year, unless he is injured of course. Anyways the most important thing is for a good performance today and there a loads of good players on today's panel, to see off a Waterford team, that have new management in the shape of Benji Whelan. Best of luck to both Clare senior hurlers and footballers today.

HT McGrath Cup football semi-final

Clare 1-8 Waterford 0-2

Conal O'hAinefein with the Clare goal.

Other Clare scorers

Gary Brennan 0-2, Dermot Coughlan 0-2, Dale Masterson, Gavin Cooney, Cian O'Dea and Kieren Malone all with 1 point on the board for the Banner men.

FT McGrath Cup football semi-final

Clare 1-17 Waterford 1-6. We play the winners of Cork or Limerick in the final, with the HT score there being Cork 1-6 Limerick 0-6

• Advertisement

Most disappointing second half from the Clare senior hurlers. At HT it was Clare 1-14 Waterford 1-5. Clare got so sloppy in the second half and conceding 2 late goals will drive Donal and Gerry bananas. Second half score was Clare 1-6 Waterford 2-11. Clare win by one but very worrying about our second half collapse. Clare v Tipp in the Munster League hurling final next Sunday. Clare v Cork in the McGrath Cup football final next Saturday.

https://clarechampion.ie/61326-2/

Clare: Rob Eyres (Kildysart); Kevin Hartnett (Meelick), Cillian Brennan (Clondegad), Jayme O’Sullivan (Wolfe Tones); Conal O hAinifein (Eire Og), Dean Ryan (Eire Og), Dale Masterson (St Breckan’s); Daragh Bohannon (Shannon Gaels), Cathal O’Connor (Coolmeen); Cian O’Dea (Kilfenora), David O’Halloran (Eire Og), Dermot Coughlan (Kilmurry Ibrickane); Gavin Cooney (Eire Og), Gary Brennan (Clondegad) (c), Kieran Malone (St Joseph’s Miltown).

Subs: Alan Sweeney (St Breckan’s) for Masterson, Niall Ellis (Shannon Gaels) for Coughlan, Gearoid Cahill (Corofin) for Cooney, Danny Griffin (Eire Og) for Gary Brennan, Gearoid O’Brien (Kilrush) for Malone.

Clare scorers: Gavin Cooney (0-4, 1f), Conal O hAinifein (1-0), Dermot Coughlan, David O’Halloran (0-2 each), Gary Brennan (0-2, 2f), Dale Masterson, Kieran Malone, Cian O’Dea, Gearoid O’Brien, Niall Ellis and Daragh Bohannon (0-1 each), Gearoid Cahill (0-1, 1f).

Yellow cards: Gearoid O’Brien and Cian O’Dea

https://clarechampion.ie/61326-2/

Clare: Rob Eyres (Kildysart); Kevin Hartnett (Meelick), Cillian Brennan (Clondegad), Jayme O’Sullivan (Wolfe Tones); Conal O hAinifein (Eire Og), Dean Ryan (Eire Og), Dale Masterson (St Breckan’s); Daragh Bohannon (Shannon Gaels), Cathal O’Connor (Coolmeen); Cian O’Dea (Kilfenora), David O’Halloran (Eire Og), Dermot Coughlan (Kilmurry Ibrickane); Gavin Cooney (Eire Og), Gary Brennan (Clondegad) (c), Kieran Malone (St Joseph’s Miltown).

Subs: Alan Sweeney (St Breckan’s) for Masterson, Niall Ellis (Shannon Gaels) for Coughlan, Gearoid Cahill (Corofin) for Cooney, Danny Griffin (Eire Og) for Gary Brennan, Gearoid O’Brien (Kilrush) for Malone.

Clare scorers: Gavin Cooney (0-4, 1f), Conal O hAinifein (1-0), Dermot Coughlan, David O’Halloran (0-2 each), Gary Brennan (0-2, 2f), Dale Masterson, Kieran Malone, Cian O’Dea, Gearoid O’Brien, Niall Ellis and Daragh Bohannon (0-1 each), Gearoid Cahill (0-1, 1f).

Yellow cards: Gearoid O’Brien and Cian O’Dea

Looks like Gavin Cooney and Dermot Coughlan have fitted in well already according to the likes of Derrick Lynch who were reporting at the game.

The following players have yet to come back. David Tubridy, Jamie Malone, Keelan Sexton and Sean O'Donoghue. When they return Clare will be more than a match for anyone in Division 2 of the league.

Also looking forward to seeing what Cormac Murray can bring to Clare, who was scoring for fun for his club St Josephs Miltown in the last few seasons. Why wasn't he involved today though?

Looks like Gavin Cooney and Dermot Coughlan have fitted in well already according to the likes of Derrick Lynch who were reporting at the game.

The following players have yet to come back. David Tubridy, Jamie Malone, Keelan Sexton and Sean O'Donoghue. When they return Clare will be more than a match for anyone in Division 2 of the league.

Also looking forward to seeing what Cormac Murray can bring to Clare, who was scoring for fun for his club St Josephs Miltown in the last few seasons. Why wasn't he involved today though?

Would like to see Ciaran Russell involved but think he stepped away last year to work commitments.

Would like to see Ciaran Russell involved but think he stepped away last year to work commitments.

Ciaran Russell is a good tenacious footballer, but can lose the head like when he got a needless red card against Roscommon in the league last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭caddy16

No Jamie this year by all accounts. Huge loss if so.

• Advertisement

caddy16 wrote: »
    No Jamie this year by all accounts. Huge loss if so.

I thought that I heard him interviewed on Clare FM a week or two ago, saying how much he is looking forward to the league and championship campaign. If true caddy16 then it is fair to say my hopes have sunk for the Clare senior footballers for 2019.

Malone is a serious serious operator with the size 5 ball in his hand. Do you know why the Corofin man has dropped out of the panel caddy16?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭caddy16

I thought that I heard him interviewed on Clare FM a week or two ago, saying how much he is looking forward to the league and championship campaign. If true caddy16 then it is fair to say my hopes have sunk for the Clare senior footballers for 2019.

Malone is a serious serious operator with the size 5 ball in his hand. Do you know why the Corofin man has dropped out of the panel caddy16?

Heard he was travelling this year but this was 3rd hand so maybe not 100% true

hurlers held off a late waterford challange , in truth the game was over when tommy ryan and stephen bennett hit late majors

another promising display by diarmuid ryan , aidan mccarthy shane golden and colin guilfoyle all putting there hands up for a starting place against tipperary in the league opener on the 26th of january , the teams meet next week in the final of this pre season competition first , but it almost looks like the management are keen to establish there squad for the year as early as possible , i would be surprised if we use more then 25 players in the up coming league

Diarmuid Ryan 0-6,
    Niall Deasy 0-5 (3f),
    Tony Kelly 1-2,
    Colin Guilfoyle 1-1,
    Shane Golden 0-3,
    David Conroy 0-2,
    Ryan Taylor, 0-1
    Aidan McCarthy 0-1

was not down in waterford today buff egan was , and while i might not be his biggest fan i have huge time for anyone that records a game that i cant make myself :)

i am not so sure if he is on the panel at the moment , i could be wrong but i dont think he is there at the moment

i am not so sure if he is on the panel at the moment , i could be wrong but i dont think he is there at the moment

According to an interview Colm Collins made before Christmas on Clare FM, he name checked Cormac, as one of the players that will be involved with Clare after he and his club teammates Kieren Malone, Gordon Kelly and Eoin Cleary (who is currently recovering from an hand op) are back from a well deserved rest after Miltown's exploits in Clare and Munster after the Christmas break.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement