Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I still have some thoughts on the above but no point in dragging it out I guess, unless anyone wants to?

Great knockout by Daley in Bellator, but the main talking point that I saw has to be the beard of that ref!

link to fights

Nah, I'm happy leaving it with I'm right :P work away, its good to actually have a discussion on this forum and people giving reasons to why they have an opinion. Seems something of a novelty recently with most discussions turning into "No, you're wrong" with no talk as to why :confused:

I seen Daley's KO on a jumpy twitter video earlier. Looked like to just glanched off the chin but it was enough to finish it. Ryan Couture took a bad looking KO.

Is this the ref you mean? I've seen him on Bellator before, Beltran I thinks his name :D He's getting ready for a career in a ZZ Top tribute band after he finishes in MMA
    djbbella344979x15g_t933x640.jpg?7ddb51df3221cac962d860c0a7c49f2d1f3cc54f

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Jep that's the guy, reminds me of a viking :D

On the subject of soccer kicks... well I googled around a bit and I didn't find anything conclusive, which is the problem really, instead I found a couple of vauge and not all that scientific articles on the subject of power generated by kicks, punches etc, not that power is the be all and end all, Dev you mentioned whiplash effect above which is of course very important, but to look at power first as the starting point, I found an article from Doctor Ben of mmajunkie fame suggesting the neck can be broken with 1000-800 pounds of forcelink, it also states an elite soccer player can generate 1200 pounds force, so ok, we see quickly soccer kicks could be very dangerous..

but here is also a video of Rampage generating 1800 pounds force off of a hook punch, so with a quick look, should Rampage be banned from throwing punches incase he hits someone's neck? link Of course that's way too simple an analysis and maybe a little facetious.. but that's why I'd rather see a proper scientific analysis of what is dangerous and how dangerous, factoring in things like whiplash effect and concussion damage and I believe it would be possible if someone spent the time and money to do it. Also like you said above, the promotions themselves might not have much interest in doing it at the moment, but they probably should before they get hit with a load of concussion lawsuits like the NFL have

Just to sum up where I stand, do I think soccer kicks are dangerous? Yes. However, I think MMA is a dangerous sport, and if something is to be banned because it is dangerous then I think it is important to qualify how dangerous it is and make sure any ban is applied properly and evenly across the board, and avoid banning something because it might look bad, while allowing strikes that might actually be more dangerous in terms of damage but not appearance.

You need to be careful though when comparing Rampage throwing a punch to a standing opponent. That means the body/neck/head are free to move without any restriction(the head moves and the body will follow). Whereas a kick to someone's head while they are on the ground their body will basically stay static while their neck & head moves violently which is where I believe the real danger comes into it.

I remember watching something about it years ago. From what I remember it looked very similar to that sports science show so it could be another episode or a similar program.

Bellator sign Bendo!

Surprising move. I thought he was letting his contract run out to try and get more money out of the UFC adn thought he would re-sign

Bellator sign Bendo!

Surprising move. I thought he was letting his contract run out to try and get more money out of the UFC adn thought he would re-sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Sterling will go next I'd imagine, would love to see him fight bibiano though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

This is just the start of it I reckon.

For people who are already an established name like Henderson the draw of being to have personal sponsorships on top of better fighter pay is just too much. The money behind Bellator is ridiculous.

ASOT wrote: »
    Sterling will go next I'd imagine, would love to see him fight bibiano though.

could be sooner rather than later. I didn't realise he was out of contract.

https://twitter.com/FunkMaster_UFC/status/694231904351080448
    This is just the start of it I reckon.

For people who are already an established name like Henderson the draw of being to have personal sponsorships on top of better fighter pay is just too much. The money behind Bellator is ridiculous.

Think anyone is absolutely right for wanting to get the most money they can, afterall its a relatively short career. If I was a fighter I think I would have reservations over bellator just because of their marketing techniques and some of the cards they put on.

I think mma.tv might be keeping an eye on this forum :eek: because they run an article about leg kicks and even included a sports science episode a few days ago :D Not on the subject of headkicks but the pressure generated by kicks and to see if kicks were strong enough to snap a baseball bat.

Mel Melcor,Muai Thai, was able to generate 4X as much pressure as the MLS(soccer/football) player :eek:

http://www.mma.tv/stand-up/muay-thai/thai-fighter-generates-1000-lbs-of-force-and-kicks-through-a-bat/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Some cracking performances over the weekend. Pitbull's KO of Ryan Couture was vicious as fúck. The way Couture's body just fell limp to the canvas was insane.

Paul Daley's hook from hell was a thing of beauty and I can't believe that I'm excited for a Koscheck/Daley fight in 2016!! :pac:

However, my performance of the weekend came from ONE FC on Friday. It'll probably go unnoticed but this is 33 seconds of absolute mauling with pretty much all facets of MMA on show in such a short space of time. Well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mayhem Miller has signed to Venator FC in Italy and will be facing Luke Barnatt. In one way, this might be good for Mayhem to get focused on training instead of his usual everyday MANIACAL shenanigans but it could just be a disaster for him as well.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/9/10951184/luke-barnatt-vs-jason-mayhem-miller-booked-for-venator-fc-iii

Edit: Oh Jesus, just found this. Not only does he sound like an 80 year old smoker, he doesn't know who (Josh Barnatt) or where (ve..ve...ve??) he is fighting....I know he's a messer but he really did go off the deep end over the last couple of years so it's hard to tell where the messing ends and the insanity begins.

This video is all kinds of WTF!

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Mayhem Miller has signed to Venator FC in Italy and will be facing Luke Barnatt. In one way, this might be good for Mayhem to get focused on training instead of his usual everyday MANIACAL shenanigans but it could just be a disaster for him as well.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/9/10951184/luke-barnatt-vs-jason-mayhem-miller-booked-for-venator-fc-iii

Edit: Oh Jesus, just found this. Not only does he sound like an 80 year old smoker, he doesn't know who (Josh Barnatt) or where (ve..ve...ve??) he is fighting....I know he's a messer but he really did go off the deep end over the last couple of years so it's hard to tell where the messing ends and the insanity begins.

This video is all kinds of WTF!

He probably won't get a visa considering badly he **** he's been in trouble with, another person who shouldn't be fighting anymore. His bizarre interview on the hbo doc about domestic violence in mma was ridulous, his stand off with police was entertaining though. He's not right in the head at all.

Aaaaaannnndddd Mayhem was arrested today for DUI.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Aaaaaannnndddd Mayhem was arrested today for DUI.....

Has there been anybody else that has come close to living up to their fight nickname. What an absolute mentaller.

The Bellator press conference is live now with gracie Ken dada and Kimbo and it's the most cringiest thing I have ever seen in my life, embarrassing for the sport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Absolute freak show im in stitches watching it

Must give it a look later but it couldn't be as embarrassing as Dada's open workout. Looked like he actually gassed after 3 punches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Whe the f is Dada 5000 ?

Didn't watch it but read Kimbo challenged Dada to a bigger d*ck contest? :confused: kinda sums up just about everything bellator related IMO.

I think this promotion is damaging MMA with fiasco and fiasco that they put on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Devastator wrote: »
    Didn't watch it but read Kimbo challenged Dada to a bigger d*ck contest? :confused: kinda sums up just about everything bellator related IMO.

I think this promotion is damaging MMA with fiasco and fiasco that they put on

Agreed.

They are in the best position to challenge the UFC's dominance, yet Coker just can't resist this kind of BS.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Agreed.

They are in the best position to challenge the UFC's dominance, yet Coker just can't resist this kind of BS.

It just makes my mind go back to earlier in this thread(or another thread :confused:) why the likes of Bendo, or any other self respecting fighter, would actually fight under their banner. The money can't be that much better to fight for them surely? I just hope nobody is seriously injured or worse because of the way it is being run/promoted or it will set the sport back years upon years

Kimbo v dada doesnt deserve to be on tv it should be in a slum some where its not an mma fight,royce and shamrock are only fighting for the pay cheque cant blame them its a fair fight,Ill be watching it anyways on friday so I cant slate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gamebred wrote: »
    Kimbo v dada doesnt deserve to be on tv it should be in a slum some where its not an mma fight,royce and shamrock are only fighting for the pay cheque cant blame them its a fair fight,Ill be watching it anyways on friday so I cant slate it.

I guarantee the Kimbo vs Dada fight will be more entertaining, at least they'll actually try and fight.

Shamrock has been knocked out in 9 of his last 14 fights, but he's up against someone who can't strike at all. Royce Gracie was found out after everyone learned the fundamentals of BJJ.

Since then, anyone half decent at MMA has destroyed him. He's also a massive twat.

I wonder will it go down as the most boring fight of all time like their second fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lukker- wrote: »
    Royce Gracie was found out after everyone learned the fundamentals of BJJ.

Since then, anyone half decent at MMA has destroyed him. He's also a massive twat.
    I agree that he's a massive twat. But not too sure what you mean by found out by fundamentals of bjj.
    He only had two losses (officially), Matt Huges and Sakuruba.
    His fights were all exactly high level, but that was standard in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree that he's a massive twat. But not too sure what you mean by found out by fundamentals of bjj.
    He only had two losses (officially), Matt Huges and Sakuruba.
    His fights were all exactly high level, but that was standard in the 90s.
    Yeah sorry I meant to sayany half decent well rounded fighter would beat him.

In the 90's he outclassed everyone. No doubt, his BJJ changed the game.

When he came back 5 years later though the game had move on. He insisted on moving the goal posts to take fights and insisting on weird rule-sets that suited himself.

The only well rounded mixed martial artists that he beat were Sakuraba (juiced to the gills and he didn't even win the fight imo) and Shamrock.

The vast majority of people he beat in his early MMA days did not fight again after or if they did had awful records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lukker- wrote: »
    When he came back 5 years later though the game had move on. He insisted on moving the goal posts to take fights and insisting on weird rule-sets that suited himself.
    No judges or something to that effect. I'm not sure what the logic was there.
    He absolutely fought a load of cans though. For all the nostalgia people have about Pride, there was an awful lot of nonsense fights put on.
    The vast majority of people he beat in his early MMA days did not fight again after or if they did had awful records.
    Yeah, such was the standard in UFC 1-5. Only a handful of actual fighters. I'm fairly confident I'd have beat Art Jimmerson with about as much difficultly as Royce.

Royce in his prime would get smoked by a random UFC lightweight today. I doubt he'd get very far in BJJ world championships either. Both games have moved on significnatly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

Really, you can only view Royce's fights in light of the era they happened. Hughes, Couture, Liddell would all be soundly beaten in their respective weight classes today. The game has moved on. The only caveat here, I think, is the rumour that Aleks Karelian was deliberately not invited to participate in the first UFC. Apart from that, Royce fought anybody put in front of him

Re Pride, the mismatches just added to the general air of craziness the Japanese brought to mma. I agree that a lot of those fights don't stand up to viewing now, but at the time it was all part of the excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Matt986

So, how are we watching Bellator 149 tonight? I've never watched it before, but really want to this time. Is that link in the opening post for all the event?

Matt986 wrote: »
    So, how are we watching Bellator 149 tonight? I've never watched it before, but really want to this time. Is that link in the opening post for all the event?

doubt it, that link is nearly a year old. Google for streams tonight just before the event starts

Am I losing my marbles in my old age, or was Spike TV showing Bellator at one stage?

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Am I losing my marbles in my old age, or was Spike TV showing Bellator at one stage?

It was and it is. But as far as I'm aware, we don't get that channel here in Ireland.

Spike in the US show Bellator live, it's owned by Univision who also own Bellator.

Spike in the UK is available in the "other channels" list on sky in Ireland but they don't show it live, they might show it later in the week though.

Spike UK do show BAMMA live.

Spike in the US show Bellator live, it's owned by Univision who also own Bellator.

Spike in the UK is available in the "other channels" list on sky in Ireland but they don't show it live, they might show it later in the week though.

I always forget about spike tv because I only get it through freeview and it means connecting an indoor aerial for it. Probably no point looking it up for next weeks BAMMA as I'll try and watch the boxing instead

They are showing it on the U.K. version of Spike tomorrow at 10pm. As for tonight. Not sure yet where to see it live. http://www.tvguide.co.uk/m-detail/2304891/115348670/spike-fight-night-bellator-149

Well if any kind soul would like to shoot me q pm to chat about...ahem...viewing the aforementioned event I would be eternally grateful (or at the very least grateful up to the point I go insane, blind or both from watching the main event)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Anybody who has BoxNation, they're showing M-1 Global right now.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Anybody who has BoxNation, they're showing M-1 Global right now.

nice surprise, cheers, and refreshing to watch boxnation without bunce screaming over everything :D They should really consider moving 1 of their cameramen instead of having both facing eachother, if 1 has a bad angle the other is probably the same, move 1 of them round a bit on their polygon(?)

The audio is bit crap aswell, can't hear anything from the crowd hardly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Devastator wrote: »
    nice surprise, cheers, and refreshing to watch boxnation without bunce screaming over everything :D They should really consider moving 1 of their cameramen instead of having both facing eachother, if 1 has a bad angle the other is probably the same, move 1 of them round a bit on their polygon(?)

The audio is bit crap aswell, can't hear anything from the crowd hardly

Yeah, a bit of a weird set-up all round. Isn't this the promotion that had them crazy medieval fights? that sh1t was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Matt986 wrote: »
    It was and it is. But as far as I'm aware, we don't get that channel here in Ireland.

SPIKE USA(Other channels)
    H
    5/6

You can watch it but cant record other channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

califano wrote: »
    H
    5/6

Any idea when they are showing the next event?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any idea when they are showing the next event?

Bellator is in tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/2/19/11060010/kimbo-slice-vs-dada-5000-odds-massive-shift-three-to-four-guys-bet-sportsbook-las-vegas-mma
    "Spoke to manager at LV Sportsbook in Vegas, betting line for Kimbo Slice moved from -360 to pick today. According to book manager, 'three to four guys' walked in and bet the limit about 20 times. 'Just kept firing on the dog over and over.' For a Bellator fight, LV Sportsbook has taken in 'an unheard of amount of money' according to the manager. Another round of bets on Dada5000 by same 3-4 individuals at LV Superbook takes the Slice line back to a pick-em right now. Wow."

Sounds legit :rolleyes:

ASOT wrote: »
    Bellator is in tonight.

I mean are they actually showing it tonight and if so, what time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That cut. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

Any streaming sites for ipad

califano wrote: »
    H
    5/6

This doesnt work wrong spike.

This doesnt work wrong spike.

You watching Valkyrie too?

Justin Wren has a great back story. Hopefully he wins.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You watching Valkyrie too?

Yeah thats whats on,trying to find a stream of spike on my android box,all to watch a few 50 year olds fight and 2 miami hood stars,what a time to be alive.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats whats on,trying to find a stream of spike on my android box,all to watch a few 50 year olds fight and 2 miami hood stars,what a time to be alive.

Mobdro app is good.

Advertisement