Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GFS Promises Christmas Heatwave

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Any of our model experts care to commit or not to the possibility of some calm, relatively dry and mild days next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wertz wrote: »
    Any of our model experts care to commit or not to the possibility of some calm, relatively dry and mild days next week?

Next week in particular from Wednesday is looking quite settled and dry, With daytime temperatures anywhere from 9-13 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Much better looking Gfs 12z run, The mild temps never really getting going, and look what is building to our east still FI but lets hope it continues.

gfs-1-348.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Christmas day heat wave is starting to fade on some of the models. Look at Sy Stephens day.

prectypeuktopo.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Evelyn Cusack previewed the warmer spell starting on Sunday during her 6pm news forecast. Bless her if she didn't smile broadly when she used the word "warmer". :)

Roll on the christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

ugh mild christmas nothing could be worse:( i dont really want it to be snowing around xmas because it ruins travel plans but i still want it to be cold and frosty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Evelyn has just predicted 10 °C on Christmas Day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

She has indeed, the coldest of rampers has broken a 1000 hearts lol
    Of course those of us who are old and wise enough know that this actually increases the chances of snow at Christmas.
    Silly statement by Evelyn 10days out one which could easily come back to bite her in the rear!!

In fact she couldn't even get tonight right forecasting widespread snow showers.
    Wtf did she get this from, all models are showing coastal showers at best.

Boy am I glad we have access to the charts ourselves to make and decipher a proper forecast

Great, Evelyn is finally getting on message with Sponge Bob and the goblins and graupel ghouls have been banished until January. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Su Campu wrote: »

looking like that at this stage. a brave call when you consider ME called a xmas day thaw fourdays prior to the day itself in 2010. It eventually occurred on 27 th. Either way a big rise in temps is on the way next week as evelyn said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

what happened to not being able to predict that far out :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

10C would be a Christmas heatwave, 25C warmer than last Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

delw wrote: »

indeed delw:rolleyes:.... And in a week when the models showed us how unreliable they are even just 4 to 5 days ahead to say it's going to be 10c on christmas day is a very brave statement by Evelyn

Isn't it jus tlovely to have a thread that does not mention the 's' word in this forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

delw wrote: »

They can go 10 days ahead. They are usually more confident of doing so if it's looking like warmer weather. If they see signs of a significant cold and snowy spell for around the 10th of January, you probably won't see Evelyn make mention of it on the 31st of this month. Partly because so many more things can go wrong in predicting snowy conditions. Another reason is most of the public perceive snowy conditions as bad weather. So i suspect they don't want to give bad news till they really have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Yes, it's a much safer bet when there's a big fat high moving up towards us, as this is a fairly stable setup and unlikely to spring surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well hopefully this high is a case of short term pain... so soak up the sun bob while you can over Christmas, you'll be shivering sometime in January :D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

When i was younger i would have been saddened to hear of mild weather coming for Christmas week.However its a few years on now and i now have heating bills to pay so im alot happier so far this winter compared to last when i then had my heat going 24/7 for 3 months straight.A few days of snow in January would be nice though:).

More good news. :D

185409.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    More good news. :D

185409.png

I would consider that a waste at this time of year - lets save the hotstuff for summer!!;)

• Advertisement

I consider having the heat on all christmas a woeful waste. There are plenty of other threads around where the graupel ghouls can haunt each other so leave this one for the good news. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I consider having the heat on all christmas a woeful waste.:D

Its worse having it on in May and June:(

all models showing a cold snap from 23 to xmas morning. one to watch if you have a white xmas bet on. either side of these dates temps are a few degrees above average for the time of year

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

graupel ghouls

:D Good one! Count me in to that category!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    all models showing a cold snap from 23 to xmas morning. one to watch if you have a white xmas bet on. either side of these dates temps are a few degrees above average for the time of year

I love the way the snow lovers still manage to get their spoke in about a cold spell here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Yes, it's a much safer bet when there's a big fat high moving up towards us, as this is a fairly stable setup and unlikely to spring surprises.
    How long is it since we've seen the Azores high make an appearance like this?
    The good summer of 2006 perhaps?
    Remember all that talk about the gulf stream being dead and weather patterns changing in the North Atlantic and mini ice ages etc. All ancient history now as zonality returns with a vengeance!
    PS. I think next summer will be a long overdue hot one.

leahyl wrote: »
    I love the way the snow lovers still manage to get their spoke in about a cold spell here:D

Not at all :) Just wanted to mention it as I have 20 euro on snow falling in Dublin during Christmas Day. Got the bet at 9/2 in November. Also, the thought of a white xmas is lovely even though the chances of same are now low.

Should any cold materialise next week, it will be another dose of this northwesterly maritime influenced showery weather and even then not anywhere as cold as it was this week. That's the way it looks at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Not at all :) Just wanted to mention it as I have 20 euro on snow falling in Dublin during Christmas Day. Got the bet at 9/2 in November. Also, the thought of a white xmas is lovely even though the chances of same are now low.

Should any cold materialise next week, it will be another dose of this northwesterly maritime influenced showery weather and even then not anywhere as cold as it was this week. That's the way it looks at present.

Oh no I don't mind - I think it's brilliant!!:D It's really annoying that it's not even going to be crisp, cold next week. Even if I had that I'd be happy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lads this thread is now defunct. GFS is not showing a heatwave, on the contrary its showing -4's 850 temps over the country generally for the days immediately before and after Christmas day. Now I don't know how some people on here define a heatwave but...........

• Advertisement

Graupel Ghoul Holding Pen > THIS WAY, :cool: Ta! :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement