Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFS Promises Christmas Heatwave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    May the mice leave your house and forage the green fields of Donegal till then Pangea.!

You obviously havent seen the blizzard forecast for tomorrow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

esposito wrote: »
    Troll comes to mind:rolleyes:

Not really, if he was saying that GFS was showing snow and blizzards for Christmas his feet would be adorned on and kissed by the many!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Not really, if he was saying that GFS was showing snow and blizzards for Christmas his feet would be adorned on and kissed by the many!

Just to be clear my post on the first page was not because he was saying it was gong to be warm, That is also a pet hate of mine people getting onto other users because they hope for warm weather. That wasn't my reason.

It just seemed to me that sponge bob was disagreeing with every kind of weather that was talked about here just to rile people. Maybe I was wrong I probably was, I wouldn't be the brightest bulb on the tree. :)

baraca wrote: »
    Just to be clear my post on the first page was not because he was saying it was gong to be warm, That is also a pet hate of mine people getting onto other users because they hope for warm weather. That wasn't my reason.

It just seemed to me that sponge bob was disagreeing with every kind of weather that was talked about here just to rile people. Maybe I was wrong I probably was, I wouldn't be the brightest bulb on the tree. :)

Hi Baraca, my post wasn't aimed at you at all! SpongeBob just has an ironic sense of humour which this thread he opened is a shinning example of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

SpongeBob just has an ironic sense of humour
    Sponge Bob's post is "like rain on your wedding day" or "the good advice that you just didn't take".

Ahem...
    1317380769920-4696bnaz4509-500-90-500-70.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

We'd all be dreaming of a heatwave Christmas if we were grumbling away in the leaba with only a threadbare night-cap on to keep us warm like Ebenezer Scrooge Bob there.

The cold within him froze his old features, nipped his pointed nose, made his eyes red, his thin lips blue, and he spoke out shrewdly in his grating voice ..."GFS Promises Christmas Heatwave"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Weatheronline.co.uk video update for today has been posted

I'm with the Canadians on this one :D

snow ghost wrote: »
    We'd all be dreaming of a heatwave Christmas if we were grumbling away in the leaba with only a threadbare night-cap on to keep us warm like Ebenezer Scrooge Bob there.

The cold within him froze his old features, nipped his pointed nose, made his eyes red, his thin lips blue, and he spoke out shrewdly in his grating voice ..."GFS Promises Christmas Heatwave"

Are you the Snow Ghost of Christmas Past? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Why not lock that thread, complete waste of time now. :D:D:D

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Are you the Snow Ghost of Christmas Past? :D

I sure am Deep, and I'll be haunting Scrooge Bob's sorry bah humbug ass on Christmas Eve reminding him of the last two white ones. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

'Unless', of course, high pressure to our southwest links with the HP over Greenland (green arrow) and HP over Russia continues to build westward toward northern Europe (brown arrow). This would increase the possibility of colder weather from the Continent extending toward the UK and Ireland or alternatively a plunge of cold air from the north. The latter is preferable as the cold over Europe will not have been in place long enough to merit a severe easterly to develop.

Yes, I did say 'unless' ;)
    184866.png

it would be nice, but very unlikely to occur due to the current very cold profile of the stratosphere. Any high over Greenland would be temporary before being sunk. So no link up.

However the stratosphere's current state is unlikely to continue, so the question is to what extent will it warm up? if there is a major warming we could be in business. Bear in mind the long range models don't factor in a ssw event. If one occurs, the models will pick up on the effects of it about two or three weeks later(that is how long the effects of a warming event takes to propagate down to the Troposhere)
    So I say let's use the mild Christmas period to prepare for the onset of the beast from the east come the middle of January!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So I say let's use the mild Christmas period to prepare for the onset of the beast from the east come the middle of January!
    I say start your own thread when that actually shows up in the models :D ( or an ssw on a radiosonde)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I say start your own thread when that actually shows up in the models :D ( or an ssw on a radiosonde)

Don't worry I will. I'll expect you to be as cheerful, as you are in this thread, when I do :p

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Go away heat lover,who in there rite mind could want a warm Xmas,lock up this muck :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I wouldnt be surprised if we got a heatwave I remember being down the beach some time in november sun was out no wind and it was alot more pleasant than during that summer we had lol:pac:

Hey, don't shoot the Sponge, he is only a messenger for the GFS supercomputer cluster.

Shoot the computer, love the Sponge!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hey, don't shoot the Sponge, he is only a messenger for the GFS supercomputer cluster.

Soak it up Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

You get what you deserve starting thread like this shame on you:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

BOOOOO-URNSSSS :mad:

IF we get this 'heat-wave' we better get some sort of apocalyptic snowfall in January Spongey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

BOOOOO-URNSSSS :mad:

IF we get this 'heat-wave' we better get some sort of apocalyptic snowfall in January Spongey

Na, freaky January with 20c+ temps would suit me fine :D best winter ever so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Heatwave??? ha ha Bob I think you need to move to Oz for xmas, It could get mild and that is hanging by a thread at the moment, There is a change on the way in the next 2 weeks and instead of Bob's heatwave, It could be winter woolies needed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Did it not occur that a bit of reverse psychology might go a long way here. We all know anything out of the ordinary on the models falls apart 3-5 days before the event. (most of the time - just our fecking luck this one will come to fruition)

Xmas day barbie on Dollymount beach anyone?

Xmas day barbie on Dollymount beach anyone?
    Fabulous idea! Get organising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Increasingly wintery outputs this morning. Brief milder interlude early next week and then all bets off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

DarkJager wrote: »
    Na, freaky January with 20c+ temps would suit me fine :D best winter ever so far!

tbh I wouldnt mind that! that would be warmer than any time over last summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Folks, if the GFS was showing an easterly in 12 days time and I started a thread about it all the naysayers on here would laugh and say that it was in FI. Why is mild weather in FI so much more set in stone?

In any event, from looking at models and from Netweather, my sense is its still all to play for on Christmas day and it certainly could be a snowy christmas season (nearer New Year).

I'm off to post on the White Christmas thread which is alive and well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Yesterday's GFS projection of 10-12c temps for xmas day have now been shaved down to 4-8c at best, mildest in coastal parts of the southwest and west.

185060.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

wetterzentrale says 8-10 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Yesterday's GFS projection of 10-12c temps for xmas day have now been shaved down to 4-8c at best, mildest in coastal parts of the southwest and west.

185060.png

And there is a whole lot of cold air not far away. Wouldn't take much to change for those off to the beach for their BBQ on Xmas day to need to bring snow tyres (with their hats, scarfs and gloves) just in case.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

Warm at this time of year is just miserable BUT I would prefer ir to the repeated lashings I have been getting while cycling to work every day. But if it is warm then there has to be (for my sanity) a major snow and cold period in January... to June :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement